Jump to content

Skunkworks: Offline Mechlab For Windows


165 replies to this topic

#1 focuspark

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

I've created two apps for designing MWO 'mech loadouts. The original version was for Windows Phone and is the more mature of the two. The new version is for Windows Modern (aka Windows 8). Both apps are more touch / mobile friendly than smurfy's. So if you're a Windows Phone or Windows Tablet owner, here's some apps to help you design the next great 'mech loadout.

Skunkworks for Windows Phone:
http://www.windowsph...34-64b52ed680f6

Skunkworks for Windows Modern:
http://apps.microsof...60-74b1d983aad4

Note that in both cases the apps are 100% free. The US$1.99 price on the Windows Modern version is to remove the in app advertising.

I'll happily take bug reports and feature requests here on the MWO forums as well as on my developer email address (focuspark@outlook.com).

#2 MavRCK

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • 1,139 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

You're amazing.

#3 Zeriniel

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

Downloaded this for my phone as soon as I saw it. It works great. May have to support you in this with that 1.99 B)

#4 Drykax

    Rookie

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

Wow sweet, DL as we speak for my windows phone

#5 Magnakanus

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

This is an excellent app. I just downloaded it and tried out a couple of builds.

I did find one issue so far: While outfitting the SHD-2H I accidentially equipped an AMS system in both the left and right torso and the app accepted it. It would be nice if the app would restrict equipment/weapons to their slot type.

#6 Maerawn

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 91 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

is either compatible with windows 7?

also Andriod app please? for all of us who dont like the windows phones? if not its cool i was just wondering

#7 focuspark

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostZeriniel, on 01 November 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

Downloaded this for my phone as soon as I saw it. It works great. May have to support you in this with that 1.99 ;)


Thank you very much! :P

View PostMagnakanus, on 01 November 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

This is an excellent app. I just downloaded it and tried out a couple of builds.

I did find one issue so far: While outfitting the SHD-2H I accidentially equipped an AMS system in both the left and right torso and the app accepted it. It would be nice if the app would restrict equipment/weapons to their slot type.


The design mantra of this app has been "let the user decide" which has translated into letting you place whatever you want on your 'mech. The app should highlight when you're incompatible with the MWO in game mechlab. It does look like you've found a bug with AMS hardpoints. I'll look into this and get a patch out ASAP. Thanks!

View PostMaerawn, on 01 November 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

is either compatible with windows 7?

also Andriod app please? for all of us who dont like the windows phones? if not its cool i was just wondering


It's not Windows 7 compatible. For Windows 7 you have smurfy's (which is fantastic). Windows 7 presents a few difficulties for me, the biggest being distribution. Windows Phone and Windows Modern (aka Windows 8) have online stored which host, distribute, and manage patching for me. I'd have to recreate this myself if I released the App on Windows 7.

As for Android (and to some extend Windows 7), the app is written in C# (because Windows Phone is C# only) and I have a Windows Phone (love Zune music). Android is Java based. Porting to Java would mean a complete rebuild of the app. Unfortunately, I do not have time for an endeavor like that. Being a fully employed father of two means I barely have time to sleep.

So my apologies, but if some day in the future I magically do have free time I'll consider an Java/Android port. :huh:

#8 focuspark

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostMagnakanus, on 01 November 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

This is an excellent app. I just downloaded it and tried out a couple of builds.

I did find one issue so far: While outfitting the SHD-2H I accidentially equipped an AMS system in both the left and right torso and the app accepted it. It would be nice if the app would restrict equipment/weapons to their slot type.

I posted a fix to the issue you found. It has to go through Microsoft certification process (3-5 days) and then it should be available to you (and everyone else).

#9 wickwire

    Member

  • Veteran Founder
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

instabuy for my windows 8 work laptop!

#10 NRP

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 3,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for creating this. I just purchased the Windows Phone version last night.

How do I add engine heat sinks? When I touch the engine slot area, the only option seems to be to choose another engine. I can't see how to add them to the engine that is currently installed.

Also, the Stats screen is nice, but it would be nice if your terms were defined somewhere. I would also prefer a more streamlined presentation that included the build's heat efficiency (preferably also accounting for ghost heat effects). DPS numbers are nice and all, but what I am really interested in when tweaking builds is heat performance metrics.

Anyway, it's a cool app! Thanks again.

Edited by NRP, 06 November 2013 - 08:11 AM.


#11 focuspark

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostNRP, on 06 November 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Thanks for creating this. I just purchased the Windows Phone version last night.

How do I add engine heat sinks? When I touch the engine slot area, the only option seems to be to choose another engine. I can't see how to add them to the engine that is currently installed.

Also, the Stats screen is nice, but it would be nice if your terms were defined somewhere. I would also prefer a more streamlined presentation that included the build's heat efficiency (preferably also accounting for ghost heat effects). DPS numbers are nice and all, but what I am really interested in when tweaking builds is heat performance metrics.

Anyway, it's a cool app! Thanks again.


Never occurred to me but adding engine heat sinks might not be obvious. Place the heat sinks in the center torso, the app will automagickally pull any heat sinks in the CT into the engine until the engine is full. Tapping the engine will only allow you to swap engines.

Updating the stats screen is definitely possible. I've avoided dealing with "Ghost Heat" because I keep hoping the devs will realize it is a stupid, un-fun feature and remove it. However, I'm starting to just give up and accept they'll not admit the error of their ways.

What would be the best way to represent ghost heat? Would you like to see an 'alpha heat' value or similar?

As a side note: a patch went live yesterday which include a percent value in the loadout header to show you how effective your heat dissipation vs heat generation is.

A list of terms would be good. I'll write something up soon. In the mean time here are a few you might have missed:

EHS = Effective Heat Sinks.
The effectiveness of your heat sinks when heat sink type, number of heat sinks, and pilot skill are considered. Displayed in the number of "unmodified standard heat sinks" it would take to have an equivalent heat dissipation. Example: 1 double heat sink is equal to 1.4 standard heat sink.

EDPS = Effective Damage Per Second
The sustainable damage per second, restricted by the available heat dissipation, is achievable.

#12 NRP

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 3,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Ok, but there's a problem. I've got anXL400 in a Boar's Head. The engine can take 6 heat sinks, but there is only room for 4 in the CT. If I tap the CT when it has 4 heat sinks, it just removes one. Therefore, it doesn't allow me to add all 6.

Yeah, a term such as "alpha heat" would work.

Edit:
Nevermind. I see that you have to tap on the very top of the Center Torso box, not on the heat sink itself.

Edited by NRP, 06 November 2013 - 12:11 PM.


#13 focuspark

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostNRP, on 06 November 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Ok, but there's a problem. I've got anXL400 in a Boar's Head. The engine can take 6 heat sinks, but there is only room for 4 in the CT. If I tap the CT when it has 4 heat sinks, it just removes one. Therefore, it doesn't allow me to add all 6.

Yeah, a term such as "alpha heat" would work.

Edit:
Nevermind. I see that you have to tap on the very top of the Center Torso box, not on the heat sink itself.


Taping any open space in a box will bring up the add component screen. Tapping an already placed component will remove it. I'll look at leaving space at the bottom of the CT if there's room for more heat sinks in the engine. It's a good idea.

As an aside, can i recommend that you fit as many heat sinks outside your engine as possible as crit soakers? They split the crit damage with other internal components and keep your weapons and ammo intact longer.

#14 NRP

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 3,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Yeah I do that when possible, but on this BH build I run out of crit slots before I run out of tonnage.

Anyway, really liking the app. It's just what I need too, because Smurfy's website won't display properly on my phone.

#15 NRP

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 3,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

A possible bug . . . the Commando 2D has an engine cap of 210, but the program allows the installation of a 240 engine.

#16 focuspark

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostNRP, on 08 November 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

A possible bug . . . the Commando 2D has an engine cap of 210, but the program allows the installation of a 240 engine.

COM-2D is the ECM variant which is limited to a 210 engine. You can check http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ to confirm.

Thanks

#17 Vegetal Maldito

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

Not available for my Lumia 620 on my region =(

#18 focuspark

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostVegetal Maldito, on 08 November 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Not available for my Lumia 620 on my region =(

Definitely available for the Lumia 620. Which region are you in? I recently lost access to Russia as the app was deemed "of an inappropriate military nature".

#19 NRP

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 3,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 08 November 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

COM-2D is the ECM variant which is limited to a 210 engine. You can check http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ to confirm.

Thanks

Right. I'm saying your program, Skunkworks, allows a 240 engine to be installed in a COM-2D, which it shouldn't.

By the way, any ETA when the Jester will be added?

Edited by NRP, 09 November 2013 - 09:06 AM.


#20 MavRCK

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • 1,139 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Linked your thread to reddit. Nice job bro!





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users