1726 replies to this topic

#21 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

LOL

Oh man, what a waste of time on the devs part. I knew there was a reason my gut told me to push so hard the last week or so to master out the A1 and C1 i have, even though I got fancy pile of new pheonix mechs to play with.

i am going to go to mechlab now and see how many LRM20 and 15's I can pile on my A1 and see just how enormous I can make the arms.

#22 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostBP Raven, on 05 November 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

I quite like the new guns, so i'll leave that point, but it was always the C4 that had the big boxes since it came with LRM 20s, the A1 was visiually identical to a C1 as they both come stock with LRM15s.

Quite right, my bad!

#23 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

off topic, that sig is awesome, Alistair :o

#24 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

just about to start a thread about this they done ****** up

#25 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

HAHAHAHA

So I went and looked at my 6 SSRM2 A1. it has nice ear rings now under its missile box. Because there isnt 6 missile tubes inside the box somehow?

Also, for fun, I put a LRM10, then a 20 and then a 10 on it on one side. so the 20 shows up as the 6 tube hang on launcher on the side. Sooooo, does that mean it is going to fire the 20 off in 4 small salvos out of the 6 tubes?

Oh man, what were they thinking on this?

PGI, if you want visuals for the missiles so people can tell if someone is boating something, you need to make the actual box bigger and smaller. I am OK with a minimum size liek we already had. But hang ons that dont even match the launcher size they represent, and haveing 3 SRM2's force a hang on launcher with tubes blocked off is pretty sloppy at best, and more accuratly put : It is bad, and whoever did this should feel bad, and whoever approved it should feel bad and tell people they were bad while feeling bad about being bad approving something so bad.

#26 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

Yeah... I just glanced at my my A1 and this is what I see:
Posted Image

Really... I can't fit a pair of SSRM2s in that large bottom box...? Or even inside the pod...?

#27 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Major, MAJOR, FAIL on the Cat's Box launchers...... You should have made different size box's based upon the number of tubes, with the tube themselves sized similar to those on other mechs. A single 2 tube SSRM launcher or even a 20 Tube LRM, should Not be larger than the mech's ENTIRE THREE front TORSOs combined! Idiotic artwork like this kills any kinds words to be said from the redone guns. Yep, with artwork like this my two SSRM Jenner should have the width of an Atlas!

#28 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Not that anyone gives a flying Urbanmech, but the whole reason I started playing MWO was this artwork right here:

Posted Image

Not the C4.

Posted Image

Give me my LRM15 missile boxes back on the C1. Why would you mess with the C1? It was fine.

The K2 gun changes are fine, but turn all the missile launcher {Scrap} off. It was better the way it was.

Edited by Malleus011, 05 November 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#29 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

I am so confused as to why they did this to the missile launcher ears.

I mean, they started out LARGER than almost any other missile launchers in the game... for a real laugh, compare them to a Stalker, which somehow can toss far more missiles from its slender side torsos with practically no missile bays visible. So, why did they then ADD missile launchers OUTSIDE the box?!

Wouldn't the sane thing to do be have all the launchers IN the box and then just fiddle with the number of tubes and such? This solution required extra work and just looks insane. Why would some launchers have an armor door on them and others not?!

#30 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Please remove these VCR's from the bottom of my CRT screens....

It's just too much.

3 SRM 2's can't fit inside that giant block already? Why not. Why the hell not.
PGI talkin about why a catapult is bigger than a stalker is because there's no weight in the ears, it's all empty, it's framwork for the missiles? FRAMEWORK FOR 2 MISSILES? Then it needs MORE for anything extra?

Do you know how little sense this is all making now that you've tagged on this rubbish to the exterior?
Want me to find those quotes? I will. I'll do it. Because this is ridiculous guys.

Posted Image

I really apologize for my attitude... You know how I am. Calm. Reasonable. Trying to help people out. etc...
But man.... I can't fathom this......... make it proportional, AT LEAST? If realism is taken into consideration when sizing mechs by density, why isn't that being taken into account here? at the very least, 3 srm 2's should fit in one silo. two SRM6's should fit in one silo. Why not make the max per silo 15? Anything over, attach the VCR on the bottom for the 5 needed to make a LRM 20 shoot. And anything over that put on the sides. But SRMs? Really? It already looks ridiculous on other mechs when an SRM 2 has two little holes, but LRM 20 fits right in nice an snug. (see the BLR-1S, that design for additional missile silo's is atrocious in brawling.)

Lets get real here though,
I know it's been mentioned as an art thing. But doesn't the art team have a sense of.. proportion? a sense of.. .realism? or think about what the battletech universe would or could do? I assume they do, so why aren't they? Is an engine limitation? a time limitation? a coding limitation? If it's not the art team, then it's SOMETHING inhibiting them from doing it correctly.
The missile silo on the BLR-1S's arm for an SRM 4, is a half of an SRM 8. It's the size... of an SRM8.... but you are only getting half of the benefits... Why not actually design... a.... SRM4????
Posted Image

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 05 November 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#31 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Here's a pic comparing SRM dimensions on the Locust vs the Catapult. Looks fine to me.

Posted Image

Problem?

#32 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 November 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Here's a pic comparing SRM dimensions on the Locust vs the Catapult. Looks fine to me.

Posted Image

Problem?

If Locusts had Catapult-sized ears, maybe they would survive longer! GENIUS!

#33 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 November 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

Problem?

Posted Image

#34 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostMalleus011, on 05 November 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

So I went and checked out the new Catapult upgrades. Proper Autocannon barrels on the K2's at last. Updated PPC barrels. Nice.

Unfortunately, they also 'fixed' the A1, and I mean fixed like you do to your pets. If you add extra missile launchers over the first, it adds extra missile launchers to the outside of the missile box. Use three LRM5s? Sorry, only 5 tubes fit under the armored cover. The rest make your arms wider and taller ... with extra external launchers. Three SRM4s? Same problem ... only 4 tubes fit under the cover. A 15 and two streaks? Yeah, couldn't fit those extra tubes under the cover either. Does the box get smaller if you mount a small main launcher? Hell no, it's just as huge for an LRM5 as an LRM15.

It's not a little, slim add-on launcher either. It makes the arms gigantic.

I mean, really now. The A1 was tough enough to pilot already; with all six hard points being M and clustered in each arm. But now to add oversize novelty 'ears' to an A1 that actually uses those hard points ... that's just mean.

It seems reasonable to me than 15-20 tubes should fit under the armored box cover. Why was this even messed with?
They really missed an opportunity with the release of a Hero Catapult. Posted Image

#35 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

This is indeed a serious serious issue.

Now Catapult pilots are on a disadvantage unless they hangback and Lrm with them. And everyone knows missiles are a waste of resources and useless on Competitive meta!!!

Damn you PGI to make the Catapult a pug stomper as best!!

#36 Kitty Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 320 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUtah

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

I dunno why, but I actually find the added missile launchers quite nice on the A1. LRM 15s in the big box with added on SRM6s for close combat. Looks quite nice and at least they are nice and tight packed for tighter groups. Before it felt like the SRM groups were really wide from how they shot out of the missile box, now they might fly a bit tighter. I need to test this! And, UAC5s on a K2 look freaking awesome! :o

#37 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

1 step forward....

#38 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Posted Image

Because that's all that'll fit.

View PostBlue doqyn, on 05 November 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

I dunno why, but I actually find the added missile launchers quite nice on the A1. LRM 15s in the big box with added on SRM6s for close combat. Looks quite nice and at least they are nice and tight packed for tighter groups. Before it felt like the SRM groups were really wide from how they shot out of the missile box, now they might fly a bit tighter. I need to test this! And, UAC5s on a K2 look freaking awesome! <_<

You realize your arms are nearly twice the size now, right?

#39 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

if i were alex iglesias right now i would be having a heart attack over what they are doing to my beautiful piece

wish they would use their own concept art to change around these models instead.

use a smaller missile rack for SRMs for example

Posted Image

Edited by Jin Ma, 06 March 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#40 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

My A1 has 6x SSRM2. The missile boxes are now almost as big as the whole torso of a Cicada, and it can only fit 2 tubes in it? To shoot a whopping total of 6 missiles there has to be 2 ugly extra boxes strapped on it? Wow.

I never liked the C4 much, mostly because it was the ugliest of the Catapults because of the oversized missile boxes. I was ok with that, it can be ugly if it's needed to show that it can fit LRM20s. Now the good looking missile boxes are gone, from the other mechs, and only the ugly one remains. To make things even worse, the A1 and C4 lose the side torso parts that apparently house the side torso energy hardpoints, making the ridiculously humongous missile boxes appear even larger compared to the stripped remains of the torso.

Just put back the old, good looking missile boxes. You might also consider firing the people who thought this was a good iteration, to retain some visual quality in the game in the future.

Edited by Kyynele, 05 November 2013 - 05:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users