15 replies to this topic

#1 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

First off I should say that I have no idea what sub forum this should go in, but this seems like its the right one...

Okay! So I'm thinking of getting my first hero mech and the ones I'm looking at are the Ilya Muromets or the Protector, I own both cataphracts and Orions so I know ill like either one, I was just wondering what other people thought was better...or if their both bad and should get another one.

Thanks.

#2 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Well, the Ilya is generally considered one of the best hero mechs. The Protector doesn't look like anything special to me, but I'm not familiar with Orions, so maybe someone better acquainted with them can give you a better run down of that one.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Ilya ... by a mile.

#4 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yeah it looks like the Ilya is the better buy, thanks.

I'll wait a bit to see if any one has a positive view on the Protector.

#5 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

Firebrand? Gauss + 2PPC all arm and high mounted?

#6 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

I had a couple Jagers in the past and didn't do to well in them, it does look pretty good though(Hardpoint wise, paint job is cool but not deciding factor)

#7 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Can't go wrong with a Ilya. It is the heavy mech all other heavy mechs hope to be one day.

#8 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Both the Ilya and Protector are good mechs (I've mastered both). The Ilya is probaby the more dangerous of the two, but the Protector offers more loadout flexibility (energy, ballistic, missile) than the Ilya (ballistic, energy).

#9 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostNRP, on 08 November 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Both the Ilya and Protector are good mechs (I've mastered both). The Ilya is probaby the more dangerous of the two, but the Protector offers more loadout flexibility (energy, ballistic, missile) than the Ilya (ballistic, energy).

The Protector is basically a double ballistic ON1-K right? while the Ilya is actually a more unique build.

Plus i have already have elite on the Cataphracts, so the Ilya seems better, also its cheaper :)

#10 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

If I recall correctly, the Protector is the only Orion with a torso energy hard point, and it's located reasonably high so you can do some peek sniping if you're into that kind of thing. I think all the other Orions have their energy hard points in the arms, which are quite low.

#11 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yeah but i dont do much sniping, not as fun for me :) that being said yeah i saw that but its not that big of an advantage, the ilya has 3 ballistics in different areas.......i think im selling it to myself B)

#12 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

LOL, sounds like it. The Ilya is a great mech. I know you'll love it.

#13 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Havnt played the protector but the orions generally have better hard point placements than the CTF-

Edited by deanon, 08 November 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#14 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

I haven't driven Onions but the Ilya is a license to print c-bills and there are a surprising number of viable and interesting configurations.

#15 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Well i am now a proud owner of the Ilya
Posted Image
(Bad quality for some reason)

Thanks for the help guys, the deciding factor was i was switching off between my CTF-3D and ON1-K and one match i was in the K and i thought i was in the Cata and when i realized i wasint i was kinda sad, so i knew i wanted the Ilya more :)

Ill probably still buy the Protector later down the road.

#16 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Well, the Orions are going to be one of the mechs that get a re-design for the hit boxes according to Paul Inouye.

I have the Protector, and I use the torso energy hard point for my TAG laser, and run an LRM-15, AC-10 and twin arm large lasers.

However, the Protector (and all Orions) right now don't take damage all that well. Their wide and protruding fat belly makes it difficult to soak up damage by torso twisting away from an incoming hit and letting a side torso absorb it. Some argue that means you are free to run an XL engine and not fear going down even faster to having a weaker side torso get taken off (something I see happen a lot to Jeager mechs).

Dragons, Jenners, and Catapults are even more pronounced for always taking hits to the CT, but the Orion was a disappointment to people for not being able to lose the CT last, yet of the list of mechs that are known for always being hit in the CT the Orion is actually towards the bottom, well behind Dragons, Awesomes, Catapults.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 08 November 2013 - 10:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users