How Does Matchmaker Actually Work?

41 replies to this topic

#21 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostNightcrept, on 06 November 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

it does suck to be thrown in with pre-mades when you're a pug.

I'll bet it sucks for the pre-mades aswell when we pugs get fed up with the pre-mades and rofl suicide.

Seperate ques would be great.

I agree that separate queues would help balance the matchmaker IMO, since pre mades do have an advantage vs solo players.

#22 Herbstwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 104 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

From the point of view of a premade player and the average amount of gravel-eating we do, it is my opinion that there are almost always premades on both teams(maybe of different sizes and maybe different numbers of premades).

But there is no way to be sure.

It was, however, stated by the devs (not that I am able to find this posting right now) that the matchmaker sets premades against each other in both teams and the free slots are filled with PUGs.

..and in most cases one side bites the dust.. hard, which includes the premade(s) on this team. :)

(edit: typo)

Edited by Herbstwind, 07 November 2013 - 03:10 AM.

#23 Drasari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 368 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:28 AM

I have no idea. Not by tonnage that is for sure. Been "Assault Stomped" in a lot of games tonight. 2-300 tons difference.

#24 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

How does matchmaker work??

Not very well, that's how it works.

#25 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

First a mommy mech and a daddy mech who love each other very much...

#26 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostNightcrept, on 06 November 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

it does suck to be thrown in with pre-mades when you're a pug.

I'll bet it sucks for the pre-mades aswell when we pugs get fed up with the pre-mades and rofl suicide.

Seperate ques would be great.
That is a very good idea - never thought of suicide to get the snowball started.But my screen freezing and my mech running into the enemy could be considered the same thing as a suicide.Until pubs and pres dont mix there is little else anyone can do.

#27 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

The matchmaker works through magic and is powered by the tears of those who get stomped.

It also works as a great sop to my pride.

If I win a game - it's because I'm awesome.

If I lose a game - it's because the matchmaker sucks.

#28 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

View Postwirikidor, on 06 November 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

So my day pretty much consists of taking breaks from work and taking my Phoenix mechs one at a time and getting the double XP bonus for them. I'm pretty dang close to having them all mastered... but some days I struggled really hard. Like today, I've been trying to win a match in a THUNDERBOLT TDR-9SE over and over again... and it's just not happening. The thing I'm noticing is the amount of trial mechs on my team when I run this mech. In this particular game it was 7 trial mechs on my team vs 1 on their team.

Posted Image

What I'm finding very interesting is the different kinds of teams I get on depending on what mech I'm using. I don't put a lot of faith in "elo" since you can't tell what your elo is. I know a lot of people claim that they are high or low elo or whatever, but I'm not sure how they could know that.

I guess I simply want to understand the inconsistency. An hour ago I was in a match in a SHD-5M and got 131 Match Score and we won (only 1 trial mech on our team interestingly enough). I move on to this mech, and it's loss after loss after loss... and out of 11 other players on my team my performance in the mech can't be the deciding factor.

Any fight where the winning team loses half of their players is a close battle.

#29 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

"and the free slots are filled with PUGs"

Like I said, that plus how ever else it works (magic and tears) does not seem to work.

#30 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 07 November 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

"and the free slots are filled with PUGs"

Like I said, that plus how ever else it works (magic and tears) does not seem to work.

That quote is from their 'Vision' of how CW will work.

Presently it works like this:

MM constructs one team by selecting two premades with above average team ELO,then filling with slightly under average solo players, this is the team it has decided will win.
It will then match it with pugs and 2-3 man teams so that teams average elo is slightly less than winning teams ELO.

It does this by picking 2 high ELO solo players and matching them with low ELO 2-3 man premades and solo players. The winning team truly is at their 'averaged' ELO, while the losing team has 2 people far above the averaged ELO , a couple at averaged ELO, and the majority far below the teams 'Average ELO'

#31 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

HOW DOES MATCHMAKER ACTUALLY WORK?

It's like a Rube Goldberg machine... But the payout isn't as exciting as one would think. :)

#32 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

This is how it works, from an old post of myself

View PostTexAss, on 31 October 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

as much as OP is trolling with his post, he is somehow right.

The outcome is in most cases determined.
Why?
Because how the MM works.
The MM picks 12 people whose ELO is tightly grouped.
Then it tries to make an opponent team with 12 but if there aren't enough with a similar ELO he has to search wider.
This leads to the 2nd team always consisting of a more broad ELO variety while the first is always tighter.
Which in most cases leads to the 2nd team losing (except the ELO was so wide at that point the MM put some heavy lifters into group #2 who carried the whole group).

This is also the reason why everyone is sometimes in the group who gets roflstomped and sometimes is roflstomping the other group.

So what do now?
Only way to fix is it, to let the MM first find 24 people with nearly identical ELOs (doesn't matter how wide it has to search).
Then afterwards he places the pre-mades on opposing teams (in best case there aren't any) and fills the rest of the teams with ELOs in a way that at the end the both teams have nearly the same sum of ELO points.

The MM is always trying to have puggers at a W/L ratio of exactly 1:1.
And its succeeding, because after over 3500 matches as a pugger guess what my W/L ratio is?
Exactly 1.0.
And this is a bad way to match teams and players against each other, because you are always kept at 1 no matter how hard you fight and how good of a pilot you are.

Edited by TexAss, 08 November 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#33 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 07 November 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

Any fight where the winning team loses half of their players is a close battle.

The tell is once again Assists. Better teamwork was used by the winning team
Winners 55 assists
Losers 27 assists

The losing team had a few more assists(27 total) than the assist leading lance on the winners side(23 total).

#34 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

The tell is once again Assists. Better teamwork was used by the winning team
Winners 55 assists
Losers 27 assists

The losing team had a few more assists(27 total) than the assist leading lance on the winners side(23 total).

BINGO..

Sadly, "high-level competitive players" are too kill-centrist to appreciate that particular statistic.

Strategic self-sacrifice is not in their vocabulary....

Edited by DaZur, 08 November 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#35 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

How the match maker works.

0. Pick an Elo value. This is the target value for this match. How this value is picked is unknown.
1. Look through the queue for a player near the target value. Put this player on a team. Update the target weight with the weight of the players mech.
2. Look through the queue for a player near the target value and near to the target weight. Update the target weight.
3. Repeat step #2 until both teams are full. If you can't find any players, relax target elo and target weight restrictions.

Once both teams are assembled.

0. Compute Elo value for both teams by averaging players scores.
1. If team with lower Elo won, update Elo scores of players in both teams.

View PostTexAss, on 08 November 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

This is how it works, from an old post of myself

That doesn't sound correct. It'd be a pain to balance weights that way

Edited by Hauser, 08 November 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#36 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

I don't think elo is that sole factor in matches.

For some reaason it seems to bunch lrms and other types of mechs into matches. Take a brawler then a lr, mech and see if your matches don't contain more of each of the type you are using.

#37 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

once your elo is determined to be too high, it puts you with a team full of others whose elo is deemed to be too high then places you in matches that you have little chance of winning until it deems your elo to be low enough again.

#38 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

The Match Maker is simply a WAG generator, based on some of the results I have seen.

#39 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

MatchMaker works? HA!

I say good day to you sir!

#40 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

You are assigned an Elo value for each mech weight class, based only on your win loss rate. From here matchmaker has a range of values it can place you with, both lower and higher. The matchmaker then assigns teams, aiming to get the relative Elo to be the same between teams, however the entire team should consist of people relatively close together. The matchmaker also balances premades vs. premades. If your team gets a 4man, the other team will get one as well. People who say otherwise either have had a one-off match or are flat out wrong.

There are few cases where people will be matched completely outside their skill level. Instead of doing that matchmaker would rather have people who are throwing off the average Elo (those at the top) fail to find a match. This happens constantly, especially since they tightened the Elo ranges.

I'm not exactly sure why on occasion you get new players matching with top players, but I'm guessing that it's due to the matchmaker picking the lowest Elo range of a top player for a pick, then the lowest range of that player, and so on. This would explain why it mainly happens at off-peak times and why it's rare to begin with.

Now, as for people getting matches where they constantly are getting tossed with 'bad' teammates, check and see what you;re doing wrong. Why are you losing so much? Even if you're doing 500 damage constantly, with 4 kills, why are you still losing? It's because you're not supporting your team. Chances are you're hanging back doing nothing, tanking no damage despite being in an assault mech, or just by hiding behind the heavies if you're in a light.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users