41 replies to this topic

#1 wirikidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

So my day pretty much consists of taking breaks from work and taking my Phoenix mechs one at a time and getting the double XP bonus for them. I'm pretty dang close to having them all mastered... but some days I struggled really hard. Like today, I've been trying to win a match in a THUNDERBOLT TDR-9SE over and over again... and it's just not happening. The thing I'm noticing is the amount of trial mechs on my team when I run this mech. In this particular game it was 7 trial mechs on my team vs 1 on their team.

Posted Image

What I'm finding very interesting is the different kinds of teams I get on depending on what mech I'm using. I don't put a lot of faith in "elo" since you can't tell what your elo is. I know a lot of people claim that they are high or low elo or whatever, but I'm not sure how they could know that.

I guess I simply want to understand the inconsistency. An hour ago I was in a match in a SHD-5M and got 131 Match Score and we won (only 1 trial mech on our team interestingly enough). I move on to this mech, and it's loss after loss after loss... and out of 11 other players on my team my performance in the mech can't be the deciding factor.

#2 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

The match maker works against you no matter what - that is all you need to know.

About all I can say - no matter what and whom you are it is out to get you.

But I agree that there is something wrong.
I rarely win a couple and lose a couple - it is always a streak of losses and wins all together. That isnt feasible in the real world - look at sports for eg.

So whatever it is they are doing I think it needs to be tweaked and changed and have premades get their own Q.
If things are still horrible from there I am not sure - but really it isnt fun to go on streaks of stomps or be stomped and it kills the game.

Edited by Blurry, 06 November 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Not by tonnage.

#4 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

It doesn't.

#5 wirikidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Interestingly enough... the very next match.... weird

Posted Image

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

taking both posts into account... THAT is how match maker works!

#7 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

You have a different elo score for each mech weight class. Your Shadow Hawk elo is separate from your Thunderbolt elo.

View Postwirikidor, on 06 November 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

I don't put a lot of faith in "elo" since you can't tell what your elo is. I know a lot of people claim that they are high or low elo or whatever, but I'm not sure how they could know that.

Most people have a general idea because of match wait time and who you play with. If you are in matches with the exact same people on the enemy team that you know are good (Steel Jag people for example) every single time after 10 to 30 minutes (that is not an exaggeration) of "Searching..." before each match, then you start to suspect that your elo score is relatively high.

The longer it takes for the matchmaker to put together a match, the more it will try and make a "balanced" game by mixing together high and low elo scores and messing with tonnages.

I've gotten into the habit of playing terrible Locust builds just for the sake of lowering my elo (I don't throw the game, I still try and win with them...) now and then to lower the time it takes to find a game for me. And the problem for me wasn't remotely as bad as it is for some other people.

Edited by Krivvan, 06 November 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#8 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

More often than not it all ends in comlete wipe and, as people mentioned before, it is always a streak.

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

ggclose

#10 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Sometimes you get a run of bad luck, it's just how it is. When I was leveling my locusts, I started one night at 6est (2 hours before x2) reset.

Took me the entire 2 hours to get a win in one mech, I was disapointed because I was hoping to get all 3 a win before the rest. Nothing doing there. Then after my first win, I got a bunch of wins in a row so I got the others done super fast.

You just have to take a step back and look at your overall w/l and it works itself out.

As far as how ELO works, I have no clue. When I got my raven 2x I had already played my locusts and other ravens a lot. Then in this new mech it's like my ELO reset and I was up against a bunch of total newbies. 4 kills and 756 damage in the first match and like 500+ in multiple matches after (in a subpar mech). It wasn't me, these people were terrible, that had no idea I was even there shooting them half the time.

Then I hop in my 3l and bam, back against normal people.

#11 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

From what I can tell the matchmaker picks higher elo people to be on the "winning team" then scrapes the bottom of the barrel to fill the members of the other "losing team".

So unless you're lucky enough to be placed on the "winning team" you're probably going to lose 80% of the time.

Probably not actually how it works, but it sure as hell feels like that most of the time.

#12 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Matchmaker trys to match you with people of similar win rate . If it can't find enough people it will try to feet you with anyone it can find .

Altohugh theres a tighter elo limit since 2 month ago .

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

MM is an equal opportunity troll.

The problem is that it does try its best, except if you're waiting 2+ mins, expect that you are going to troll or be trolled... there is literally no middle ground.

#14 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

I find that match maker not only uses tonnage but seems to for some reason promote mech types. i.e. you will get more mechs of certain type in each game then others.

The most annoying thing to me seems to be the matchmakers tendency to fill games with a certain style of mech. Brawler, lrm's etc.

For instance one game no lrms the next almost nothing but.

#15 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

It works by feeding solo players to Pre Made groups.

#16 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 06 November 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

It works by feeding solo players to Pre Made groups.

Ahhh ****,

This stupid {Scrap} again... GAME ON.

Just for that, IF they ever fix it so I can play the game again, myself and 3 from my community are going to sacrifice a Lone Wolf on the Altar of Ultimate Evil, drink its blood then use the over 9000 mana points we get to ROFLSTOMP every PUG we see.

Edited by Roadbeer, 06 November 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#17 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Roadbeer you have a crush on me, that's cute but I don't swing that way kid.

#18 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Mods, make it bannable offense to derail threads with this pug vs premie nonsense..

#19 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

They need to ban all you trolls and stalkers although I am flattered by your affection.

As stated before the match maker fills spots with solo players when it can not fit anymore Pre Mades.
Thus it is not only true but about this topic, please go greif someone else.

Edited by wintersborn, 06 November 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#20 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

it does suck to be thrown in with pre-mades when you're a pug.

I'll bet it sucks for the pre-mades aswell when we pugs get fed up with the pre-mades and rofl suicide.

Seperate ques would be great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users