Somerset Package

63 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be interested in a Somerset package? (193 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be interested in a Somerset package?

1. Maybe. I would need more information. (48 votes [24.87%])

Percentage of vote: 24.87%

2. No, probably not. (39 votes [20.21%])

Percentage of vote: 20.21%

3. Yes, but only with lower prices than Phoenix Package (36 votes [18.65%])

Percentage of vote: 18.65%

4. Yes, if the prices were the same as for Phoenix Package (30 votes [15.54%])

Percentage of vote: 15.54%

5. OMG OMG! Shut up and take my money! (40 votes [20.73%])

Percentage of vote: 20.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Asgeir

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

I mentioned before in another thread that I would pay good money for a Wolfhound (my fave BT ride). If you added a Bushwacker too (my fave MW3 ride) you'd have my money right there. And of course I would buy the big boys too. Price it as Phoenix, give my Axman melee...hell...I'd drop 20 bucks more for the deluxe package if you could do these mechs and add melee.

#42 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

#43 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 November 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

For those of you who don't know, there used to be a Battletech Animated Series, a 1990's cartoon with, for its time, nice CGI and some beautiful mech on mech action. It featured Adam Steiner's crusade to liberate his homeworld, Somerset, from Clan Jade Falcon.

Not certain I would buy them as a package, but I would like to see those mechs added to the game.

Also, while the CGI was ok in that series for the time, it was also that awkward moment in American animation where people insisted on mixing CGI scenes with cell shaded (probably old school drawn on clear cells and stacked) scenes, and I found the contrasting styles too annoying/disorienting to appreciate. :huh:

#44 Ahja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Great idea Winter! As for Mechs without three variants why would that hold back making them with logical version. Hell they are reinventing everything anyway so why not do something smart like this.

#45 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostBagheera, on 18 December 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

Not certain I would buy them as a package, but I would like to see those mechs added to the game.
Also, while the CGI was ok in that series for the time, it was also that awkward moment in American animation where people insisted on mixing CGI scenes with cell shaded (probably old school drawn on clear cells and stacked) scenes, and I found the contrasting styles too annoying/disorienting to appreciate. :P

Oh, those were the glory days of animation. Johnny Quest and Battletech!

I have to say, my enthusiasm for the Somerset package has declined somewhat following recent events. It was a good idea though, I think ;)

#46 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

It wouldn't let me vote in your poll, but I support this idea. I like mechs. It's really why I play the game. The more mechs, the better as far as I'm concerned.

#47 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 November 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

OP

I'd like to get a Wolfhound some day, but it's hardpoint layout would basically be a Jenner minus the jump jets and missiles unless it's the MechCommander 2 Wolfhound so I'd prefer PGI release more unique designs. The Bushwacker doesn't exist yet, but we wouldn't have to wait very long, the Axman needs melee or it'll just be more of the same, and the Mauler would be seriously OP with the game in it's current state, even though it has suboptimal weapon placement ( ballistics and energy weapons are rather low ) and no jump jets.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 18 January 2014 - 03:47 AM.

#48 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Right, so the Mauler is pretty much confirmed now; how about the other three PGI? -_-

#49 TheMightyServo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLow Earth Orbit

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

Wolfhound, Bushwacker, Mauler, I'm on board with.

Without the Axman being able to function in it's own name... why bother?

That'd be like introducing the Charger with it's 5 small lasers and not having melee and knockdown so it couldn't... y'know... charge.

And if you're going to add melee, add the ability for mechs with arms to move them - as in moving vertically. There's no reason a Cataphract or Centurion shouldn't be able to lift it's arms up to eye-level. Sure, it'd be another button and some animation to add, and one more control for players to use - but it'd be worth it. And it wouldn't be too far off to add punches for mechs with arms from the same type of command/movement.

It'd make those useless Centurion and Griffin left arms worth something, and having to mess with raising arms and maybe having some accuracy issues when raised would still leave mechs like the Jager with high-profile limbs having an advantage, but allow for others to at least use their limbs.

-

So as to the main point, Wolfhound, Bushwacker, Mauler seem like cool ideas.

Axman without an ax, no.

#50 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

In honor of that ignorant cartoon that made me want to projectile vomit at my TV? ABSOLUTLY NOT!! In honor of the Wolfhound and Bushwacker? Sure thing!! :( ...call it the "Because Package" package.

#51 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostTheMightyServo, on 23 February 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Wolfhound, Bushwacker, Mauler, I'm on board with.

Without the Axman being able to function in it's own name... why bother?

Axman without an ax, no.

I would love to see an Axman with a functioning axe, but I doubt it's going to happen in the near future :(

However, when Adam Steiner lost his Axman in combat, he switched to a modified Awesome AWS-9M (called the AWS-9Ma), which removed some lasers for a command console so he could easily coordinate with his team to defeat the Falcons. The ER PPCs were retained.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 24 February 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#52 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

Without melee combat being introduced I don't think we should toss in the melee specific mechs like the Axman, Hatchetman, Hatamoto-Chi and others. Though I'd need to watch the animated series again to offer up an alternative to the Axman in that selection. The rest of it seems about right, it'd be close to full production of the Wolfhound for the Houses and the Bushwacker should be coming out of R&D in the next few years of the timeline. The Mauler will be already in full production.

This is the beginning of the Clan war after all. And I agree it'd be cool to see these mechs arise.

#53 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

Well never see a hatchetman or axeman sadly, if we did they probably be without there melee weapons.

I mean the yen lo wang doesn't have its claw hand

I don't see them ever adding melee combat sadly... which is sad because being able to at-least punch someone would give a purpose to arms... atm there just those things that force your weapon mountings down lower.

#54 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

Only one of the somerset mechs I would consider getting, and that would be the axeman.

As there is no melee in MWO, it would be pointless.

What a terrible terrible cartoon the Battletech animated series was, no wonder the run was short, makes Thundercats look like Oscar material :)

#55 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

MAWL-ERR

That is all.

#56 Corpral ellenbogen

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 38 posts
  • LocationChampion PA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

My vote comes with a stipulation:proper melee combat is introduced with the hatchet man. im talking every mech with a fist or claw able to do something with it as well as charging mechanics.
some other suggestions are using the quark system to five bullet deflection to the big box of the hunchbacks right torso as well as the gryphons/centurions shield arms. would also like to see gyros come into play with the hole knock down system. nice to see a mech get slamed on its ass after every ac/10 hit because its main gyro is damaged

#57 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Melee combat? is this Mech Warrior or Rock-em-Sockem Robots? / sarcasm

Maybe a Grasshoper instead of an Axman untill they figure the whole melee combat mechanic?

#58 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

Hey maybe this could be that next IS mech pack they were saying they should make?

#59 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 21 November 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Well, one side of me thinks that it can't possibly be so hard to implement some kind of melee. Even Doom 2 had multiplayer with melee, for Pete's sake. That was 20 years ago. The other side of me is more skeptical, given how many urgent issues haven't been resolved yet. I'm guessing they want to sort out collision before melee.

Wolfhound - Potentially more firepower (hardpoints) than other light mechs, but less speed. And having a fully functioning arm with any number of energy hardpoints is an advantage over both the Jenner and Raven. I wrote about this in another thread.
http://mwomercs.com/...ease-wolfhound/

Bushwacker - Like a bigger Cicada. Very low profile, a lot lower than the Shadowhawk, while having just as much armour and maybe even firepower. Potentially a nice and fast ballistic platform, and having both energy, missile and ballistic hardpoints makes it potentially as versatile as the Shadowhawk. You might have a Streak-wacker with 4 SSRMs and some ballistics, for example.

Axman - Obviously melee would be something new, but even without melee, it's kind of like a cross between a Cataphract and a Jagermech. You've got an AC20 or maybe 2-3 different ballistics mounted as high as your head in the RT, and you've got arms that are very useful for brawling. And there's the LRM variant which would be kind of like the AWS-8T of heavy mech. Maybe 2 missile hardpoints in the torso and 4 energy hardpoints in the arms.

Mauler - Beyond being the only assault mech with potentially 2x gauss and 2xAC20, it also has more ballistic hardpoints than any other assault mech right off the bat. It has massive firepower, at the cost of a very unfavourable chassis shape. The LRM boxes makes it easy to spot, and it has the rough shape of the Awesome, i.e. barndoor. In other words, a lot of pew pew at the cost of being easy to hit.

2 AC 20 is the biggest of your concern? Why not 4 LBX 10 or 4 UAC 5?

#60 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:12 PM

What about the Hamoto-Chi? The mech piloted by Franklin Sakamoto later in the series?

Can also expand this to include a Hunchback IIC with 2 ballistics mounted to the shoulders.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users