Mektek's Heavy Gear Assault

275 replies to this topic

#201 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

Just saw this article about MadCatz working with MekTek to smoothly integrate joysticks for Heavy Gear Assault. I wonder if we'll ever see a peripheral just for Mech games, like the Razer Artemis was supposed to be.

http://madcatz.com/h...u-meets-nascar/

#202 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

Really cool things happening over at MekTek! They hired Mett Fleming to be a new game design lead. Matt has worked on Ultima Online, Rift and Defiance. You can read the big post here , this is a great addition to an already great team!

#203 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:47 AM

Awesome. This is a game that I am tracking its development.

#204 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

Four new Gears revealed along with info regarding Gear Bay customization, map updates and what's been happening behind the scenes.

5/19 Producer update

#205 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostRaptorRage, on 19 May 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

Four new Gears revealed along with info regarding Gear Bay customization, map updates and what's been happening behind the scenes.

5/19 Producer update

Very interesting. I have already dropped MWO from my regular play, concentrating right now on the CBT of World of Warships (incredible game I must say) and considering adding Armored Warfare to my roster once it is past the alpha stage which might be in the next few months. I am following news on Heavy Gear Assault, and seriously considering joining in if they have more Gears and map content involved.

#206 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostAnjian, on 20 May 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

Very interesting. I have already dropped MWO from my regular play, concentrating right now on the CBT of World of Warships (incredible game I must say) and considering adding Armored Warfare to my roster once it is past the alpha stage which might be in the next few months. I am following news on Heavy Gear Assault, and seriously considering joining in if they have more Gears and map content involved.

A lot of people who aren't playing complain that as alpha players, we are doing "work" for the developer and not getting anything out of it. I actually like it. We get to find the glitches, exploits, and bugs, report them, and get to see them fixed. We also get to provide input to help mold the game to suit our ideas of Heavy Gear. Sure, a lot of recommendations will be modified, ignored, etc., but there are some that have definitely been adopted. Right now is the best time to get in if you want to have influence in the direction of the game. As MWO has taught us, complaining after the fact doesn't make very much headway, because too many possibilities are locked out.

The best part is, if you don't want to play because you are waiting for new features, you do what I do and take a break. Then come back 2-3 weeks later, and there's something new to test out.

I was happy to help find a bug in the game that was a serious glitch affecting...let's call it the firepower potential of a gear. I figured out the trigger for it, got videos and still frames, reported it, and a week later it was fixed. Of course, for a few matches with some of the other testers, we had a heck of a lot of fun going full on "alpha striking," as I would call it.

#207 AkoolPopTart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationApartment

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 26 February 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Heavy Gear is more elemental-like gameplay than Mechs.

Uh.....Okay? So what? Got a problem with that? YOU WANNA FIGHT DON'T YA?! MY ARMORED CORE WILL ANNILATE ANY OF BATTLEMECHS WITH HER HIGH POWERED SNIPER CANNON!

*Cough* Sorry...Need a Snickers

Edited by AkoolPopTart, 20 May 2015 - 12:16 PM.

#208 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostAkoolPopTart, on 20 May 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Uh.....Okay? So what? Got a problem with that? YOU WANNA FIGHT DON'T YA?! MY ARMORED CORE WILL ANNILATE ANY OF BATTLEMECHS WITH HER HIGH POWERED SNIPER CANNON!

*Cough* Sorry...Need a Snickers

Just my personal taste. Never said it was a bad game, just not quite a MechWarrior game.

More like an Elemental Warrior game I guess. Which sounds cooler.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 21 May 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#209 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostAnjian, on 20 May 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

Oh there are lots and lots of thing planned for HGA and while the number of gears likely won't be as high as the world of BattleTech that MWO is shooting for the customization of the gears will go far far beyond what PGI has done which will make for very very individual looking gears.

View PostDavidHurricane, on 21 May 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

Just my personal taste. Never said it was a bad game, just not quite a MechWarrior game.

I'm glad you said that because that's not MekTek's goal. They don't want to copy or emulate MW or Hawken and want to be more unique with a much more complex game and customization system while giving a nod to HG1 and HG2.

I've been in the Alpha since the first day and to see how it's grown has been awesome. Truly one of the best Alpha testing programs I've been in on and with a great dev team that is driven. We even have a organized reporting system that we can check in on our reports and exchange comments about the issue with the devs. Lots of great stuff is on the way this year for HGA and it's got me excited.

#210 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:16 AM

There's a neat podcast up about Heavy Gear Assault here: http://lazytechguys....-journey-to-gdc

I think they're opening up game access indefinitely now, so people who want to play the Alpha can if they go to the website and get a game pack.

#211 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Trent! FYI you need to FF to the 20:44 mark to get to the HGA stuff.

#212 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

The mech have no hmm savor? i dont know how to say it beside they all look boring and unimaginative. Can't play a game that feels like the epitome of generic. The game it self don't look bad, gameplaywise, it's (seems) based on skillful execution of movement and weaponry it actually makes me want to play Tribes2 or The latest Tribes f2p, a fps where skills truly matters but im too old for that lol.

Just like MWO, if the mechs were anything like the original Battletech design i see all the time. those designed by 12yo on white grid paper, i wouldnt be playing it but the mechs were made awesome while retaining the bascis of what they in BT.

Edited by DAYLEET, 02 June 2015 - 11:03 AM.

#213 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 02 June 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

The mech have no hmm savor? i dont know how to say it beside they all look boring and unimaginative. Can't play a game that feels like the epitome of generic. The game it self don't look bad, gameplaywise, it's (seems) based on skillful execution of movement and weaponry it actually makes me want to play Tribes2 or The latest Tribes f2p, a fps where skills truly matters but im too old for that lol.

Just like MWO, if the mechs were anything like the original Battletech design i see all the time. those designed by 12yo on white grid paper, i wouldnt be playing it but the mechs were made awesome while retaining the bascis of what they in BT.

All of the Gears are generally descended from one particular model, the Hunter (with the Southern counterpart, the Jäger, being a direct copy reverse-engineered from a stolen Hunter prototype).

On top of that, size differences are also more dependent on the overall bulk (or lack thereof) of the Gears, rather than height alone.

Posted Image

The Cheetah (a lightweight, very fast recon Gear) is supposed to be 4.1 meters tall (and is listed as such both in the HGA shop entry and the TT game sourcebooks), the Hunter (the common medium-weight trooper Gear) is supposed to be 4.3 meters tall (and is listed as such both in the HGA shop entry and the TT game sourcebooks), and the Grizzly (a heavyweight assault Gear) is supposed to be 5.1 meters tall (and is listed as such both in the HGA shop entry and the TT game sourcebooks).

The Hunter is 4.8% taller than the Cheetah, but 26.9% heavier (the Hunter's 6.6 tons, versus the Cheetah's 5.2 tons).
The Grizzly is 18.6% taller than the Hunter, but is 39.4% heavier (the Grizzly's 9.2 tons, versus the Hunter's 6.6 tons).
At the extreme ends: the Grizzly is 24.4% taller than the Cheetah, but is 76.9% heavier.

As for less-humanoid, more 'Mech-like vehicles, there are the Striders (like the Northern Mammoth (6.8 meters tall, ~21 tons) and the Southern Naga (6.4 meters tall, ~15 tons)).

The Sagittarius (7.8 meters tall, ~25 tons), another Southern Strider, is featured in several pieces of HGA promo art.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Strum Wealh, 18 June 2015 - 03:47 AM.

#214 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

Wow, seeing those gears makes me excited. Heavy Gear 2 was my first online game I did much PvP with, in deathmatches and CTF. Its been a long time I have driven a Gear.

#215 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

Just wanted to share and update for Heavy Gear Assault, they did a one on one with the VFX artist in which they show some really cool shots and talk about some really cool stuff!

http://forums.heavyg...x-artist#latest

Edited by Wolf486, 05 June 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#216 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:40 AM

That is looking pretty good.

#217 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostAnjian, on 06 June 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

That is looking pretty good.

There are some very special people on the MekTek team!

#218 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

Arena style gameplay?
Fast-paced, like Call of Mecha.
No thanx.

I played the first Heavy Gear game, and it was ok. Had nothing of the above though.

#219 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:24 PM

I've got another really cool read about Matt Fleming from Heavy Gear Assault and some really good insight to his approach when working with HGA.

http://forums.heavyg...-issue-1#latest

#220 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:56 AM

A few days ago, HGWiki reached a milestone: the Gears category lists over one-hundred Gear variants!

Edited by Strum Wealh, 30 June 2015 - 02:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users