Mektek's Heavy Gear Assault

275 replies to this topic

#221 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

OMG This is a great update for all the Heavy Gear Fans here! A must read for sure with lots of really cool goodies and tons of awesome stuff! Enjoy!

http://forums.heavyg...r-update#latest

Posted Image

#222 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

Here's another little update for you! Great read and introduction to a great asset for the project!

http://forums.heavyg...-issue-2#latest

Posted Image

#223 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

Looks like it might be fun, but the assets seem to have too little detail. At a glance they look like blocks of metal. Perhaps it'll improve in the future. I guess they don't look so 3D in the screenies.

#224 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:13 AM

They look really strange just plopped down on the sand. The sand really needs to be sculpted around the structures to reflect how wind would move it around.

Heck, even if they were just gently placed on the ground it would affect the sand right around the edges. Needs a lot of cleanup.

#225 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostElizander, on 08 July 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

Looks like it might be fun, but the assets seem to have too little detail. At a glance they look like blocks of metal. Perhaps it'll improve in the future. I guess they don't look so 3D in the screenies.

View PostHeffay, on 08 July 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

They look really strange just plopped down on the sand. The sand really needs to be sculpted around the structures to reflect how wind would move it around.

Heck, even if they were just gently placed on the ground it would affect the sand right around the edges. Needs a lot of cleanup.

@ Elizander To little detail, I'm guessing you have never followed Heavy Gear. I was like that too in the beginning but once I started getting familiar with HG I started to understand a lot more about the asset designs. Lots of buildings and other structures are very simplistic due to their environment. Terra Nova is a mostly desert covered planet and most of it's water is underground. So you get these adobe style huts and buildings with rounded design so wind and sand don't destroy them as easily as a square hard edged building would. Since the game is in alpha though some of the things done to create look aren't in at the moment. Before we had the start of gear customization in the Gear Bay the finish on the gears was all solid colors like a freshly painted piece and now we have lots of stuff to play with from brushed aluminum to carbon fiber and dirty drab finishes. I expect this to eventually make it to the assets as well and will provide a great level of detail that most games strive for. I hope this helps out to understand the process and why they appear to have little detail

@Heffay That's because those are just plopped down in the editor, hence the grid pattern. It's a behind the scenes look into the editor. That pic was just to show the asset work being done in the alpha phase of development. Once they get into a map and the mappers have the time to make them fit into the terrain rather than just being plopped in they look much more fitting for their environment. In fact they have a great process that we follow closely as alpha's, as the maps develop we see it each time they update it. When you get a new map its just terrain and you get to see them blocking things out as they go, then one day you log in to play and boom that structure you've been watching them build is done and it looks like a really awesome building. It's great to see the maps develop from just a level of terrain and see everything coming together. We get to provide feedback to the devs about it as it comes together to let them know if there's an issue and the devs thank us for finding them. It's been a tremendously fun and rewarding process to work closely with a dev team and the devs seem to think so too. They treat us great and enjoy our thoughts and feedback.

Thanks for the interest! More updates to come so stay tuned!

#226 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

Latest update to Alpha version is phenominal. Really enjoying a fresh take on a great IP from Dream Pod 9.

#227 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

HGA Announced new gear packs today that split the factions up. That way you can buy Northern or Southern gear packs if you want. This was something the community asked for and that MekTek and Stompy Bot agreed was a good idea. HGA's devs listen to the community unlike some other devs. This game is really starting to shape up! http://forums.heavyg...on-packs#latest

Posted Image

Posted Image

#228 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

Needs a Paxton Arms/Peace River pack: ;)

Though, the PRDF doesn't really get a Jaguar/Mamba analogue until the development of the Warrior Elite, and we know how that story went... :unsure:
Maybe the Stalker might be included to make up the 5th spot?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 30 July 2015 - 12:11 PM.

#229 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:24 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 30 July 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Needs a Paxton Arms/Peace River pack: ;)

Though, the PRDF doesn't really get a Jaguar/Mamba analogue until the development of the Warrior Elite, and we know how that story went... :unsure:
Maybe the Stalker might be included to make up the 5th spot?

Confirmed that there will be more faction packs! The best part about these packs is that the community asked for them and MekTek agreed to do them and stated it was a great idea!

#230 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

fast paced arena + mechs, thats where hawken already failed.

#231 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostWolf486, on 30 July 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

HGA Announced new gear packs today that split the factions up. That way you can buy Northern or Southern gear packs if you want. This was something the community asked for and that MekTek and Stompy Bot agreed was a good idea. HGA's devs listen to the community unlike some other devs. This game is really starting to shape up! http://forums.heavyg...on-packs#latest

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ah man, that green and brown robot might need some rework. It sorta hurt my eyes. :( The purple one at the top looks like Shockwave though so that's pretty cool. :)

I wonder how that spitting cobra thing will turn out. The blueprint outline looks kinda nice.

#232 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

I hope there will be a Nucoal Gear Pack in the future.

#233 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:28 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 31 July 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

fast paced arena + mechs, thats where hawken already failed.

You are so far off base with that accusation. It's Heavy Gear which has a long history of arena battles dating back to the Table Top era and has so MUCH more to offer than Hawken was designed for. Also it's not just Arena battles, there's single player missions coming to the game, CTF style game modes, TDM, Objective game modes, and a lot more to come. Does Hawken have Melee battles with axes and swords, because that's in the design docs for HGA. There's lots of depth planned for Heavy Gear Assault and that's what convinced me to take a hard look at it, then I saw MekTek was behind it and I bought the Ace Pack. They have a very awesome dev team that solicits our input on things and welcomes our feedback. MekTek always did right by their projects even when they were a Mod team supporting MechWarrior 4.
Also Hawken didn't fail because of it's game design but a dispute between it's developer and publisher which forced a lawsuit, work stoppage, and the subsequent sale of the IP to Reloaded Games. Who is now starting to work on making the game again. I never played Hawken and never had any interest in it. It always seemed like a twitch shooter and just wasn't my style of game, not that I have any hate for it, just not interested in it feeling there wasn't enough depth for me as apposed to HGA which I feel will have what I've been looking for in a mecha game for a long time.

I hope you'll be more open to the idea of another Mecha game rather then passing judgement before it's time.

View PostWill9761, on 31 July 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

I hope there will be a Nucoal Gear Pack in the future.

They said in the forums that those are just the first faction packs so Nucoal could be one of them! Maybe you should put that in the Game Idea forum over there.

#234 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

View PostElizander, on 31 July 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Ah man, that green and brown robot might need some rework. It sorta hurt my eyes. :( The purple one at the top looks like Shockwave though so that's pretty cool. :)

I wonder how that spitting cobra thing will turn out. The blueprint outline looks kinda nice.

The top set are Northern Gears - specifically (from left to right): a Tiger, a Cheetah, a Hunter, a Grizzly, and a Jaguar.
The bottom set are Southern Gears - specifically (from left to right): a Sidewinder, an Iguana, a Jäger, a Spitting Cobra, and a Black Mamba.

In general, Northern Gears tend toward a traditional "sloped armor" design aesthetic with many flat panels & sharp angles, while Southern Gears tend toward a "rounded armor" aesthetic (a variation of sloped armor; "In general, more rounded forms have a lesser surface relative to their volume. As in an armoured vehicle that surface has to be covered by heavy armour, a more efficient form can lead to a substantial weight reduction or a thicker armour for the same weight.") - "North is boxy & South is bubbly". ;)

I would agree that the ultra-bright green on that Cheetah is a bit on the garish side. -_-
Then again, Heavy Gear Assault is set primarily on Terra Nova's dueling circuits (in general, equivalent to Solaris-style dueling in BattleTech/MechWarrior), so the duelists' Gears would likely be painted to be flashier than those used by the factions' militaries (in much the same way that, for example, Yen-Lo-Wang would have a flashy paintjob for the arenas on Solaris, versus any other AFFS CN9 having the standard camo paintjobs). :rolleyes:

#235 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

"We are excited to announce Heavy Gear Assault’s move to Early Access. Our developers have been hard at work to make Heavy Gear Assault the best mech game experience possible.
With the move to Early Access, players are no longer required to sign a confidentiality agreement or NDA. We welcome all players to stream live video, post screenshots, and share their Heavy Gear experiences with their friends!"
(source)

So, let the posting of screenshots & vids commence! ;)

#236 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:06 AM

Here's a couple of mine screenshots, two of which have been used on the main website in the rotation on the main page.

https://lh3.googleus...8=w1698-h955-no

https://lh3.googleus...Y=w1698-h955-no

https://lh3.googleus...c=w1698-h955-no

#237 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hawken was a lot of fun. But what hurt it in my mind was the developers had no idea what F2P was all about, not evil enough to develop a proper revenue model for the game.

#238 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:24 AM

Posted Image

We are excited to announce Heavy Gear Assault’s move to Early Access. Our developers have been hard at work to make Heavy Gear Assault the best mech game experience possible.

With the move to Early Access, players are no longer required to sign a confidentiality agreement or NDA. We welcome all players to stream live video, post screenshots, and share their Heavy Gear experiences with their friends!

Come check out the Gear Bay Module where you can customize your Gear’s arsenal, armor, and paint to maximize your performance and stand out in the crowd! Also new to Heavy Gear Assault are several new weapons, prone mode, grenades, a new user interface, and several performance optimizations to the game.

To get in on the action, grab a Main Game Pack from http://heavygear.com/store and enjoy instant access to the game!

Edited by Wolf486, 04 August 2015 - 05:32 AM.

#239 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:58 AM

Giddy now. Going to sign up and buy a pack. I have not played Heavy Gear for a long long time now since Heavy Gear 2, which was also the first game I ever played the online multiplayer. Boy that game was seriously fun. HG2 was a game that somehow superficially, looks like an FPS, but there is something about that does not feel like a traditional FPS. Gundam meets a bit of Quake feels more like it. Around that time, Gundam was popular due to one of the series (was it Wing?) and players were naming themselves from that show. In HG2, I love to tear up people using my King Cobra or Spitting Cobra.

Edited by Anjian, 04 August 2015 - 06:02 AM.

#240 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

View PostAnjian, on 04 August 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

Giddy now. Going to sign up and buy a pack. I have not played Heavy Gear for a long long time now since Heavy Gear 2, which was also the first game I ever played the online multiplayer. Boy that game was seriously fun. HG2 was a game that somehow superficially, looks like an FPS, but there is something about that does not feel like a traditional FPS. Gundam meets a bit of Quake feels more like it. Around that time, Gundam was popular due to one of the series (was it Wing?) and players were naming themselves from that show. In HG2, I love to tear up people using my King Cobra or Spitting Cobra.

Spit and variants aren't in yet, but the good news is that they're definitely coming :D and you'll have to join the queue behind FuBunny and myself to get our grubby little hands on one haha, I CANNOT wait for the Spitting Cobra...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users