Trackir Support

57 replies to this topic

#21 Monkeystador

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

PGI seems to be swamped with work. Otherwise it couldnt be so hard to add player camera x,y to the controller settings. It is really easy and can be done under a day.
BUT it is hard to do if the HUD is not implemented in 3D. IF it isnt oyu cant just move the player view point around and leave the HUD. Thats the whole problem. And i strongly suspect it is in 2D. You can test this by running MWO in 3D mode. If the aim cursor would still work its in 3D implemented. If it isnt well then you are out of luck for the aim cursor.
This doesnt include putting all the other UI elements into 3D.
It's alot of work and like to only happen when they seriosly support 3D.

Edited by Monkeystador, 13 March 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#22 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

TrackIR? Yes please, since 2011.

#23 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

...my Founder's money was secured by that ^^ beautiful deceptive add when I saw it in 2012.

"It's a bummer. They (PGI) have the SDK, and we've (NaturalPoint) requested support several times. Nada. Not sure what might be preventing it, but it's usually a matter of freeing up dev resources." -Seth Steiling» Thu Sep 19"

#24 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostSen, on 21 November 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

It's an interesting concept, but I suspect the press and hype with the Occulus Rift is gonna stifle if not outright kill trackIR.

Rift has all the same functionality + the screens, and already appears to be compatible with MwO

https://www.youtube....d&v=Tfn6aQaLjcg

I'd be interested to know if there was a way to translate the instruction set across tho. . *MAY* end up being a way to get trackIR to support it???

The issue with the rift that is preventing myself and several people I know from really wanting one is the resolution. Untill they go at least with a 2560x display, its just too low of a resolution. I'll take surround/eyefinity w/ headtracking (TIR, FT or FTnoIR) anyday over a rift.

#25 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Whats TrackIR?

#26 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostRex Budman, on 13 March 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

Whats TrackIR?

It's been the industry standard head tracking for view panning for the last 12 years, and a staple of flight and other vehicular simulators.

#27 Mahrexen

• Pip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

TrackIR is something PGI said would be in on release of the game.
Well year's later it's still not here with no word from PGI as to why.

Natural Point has provided SDK's to PGI to get it working as well as offered support to help them get it working.
http://forums.natura...php?f=5&t=10261

I own a TrackIR and would love to be able to use it with this game.
BUMP!

#28 dJellyfish

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

Bump for what I consider to be an essential input control for any simulator, and MechWarrior Online claims to be a "tactical BattleMech simulation set in 3050 AD."

The value IR-tracking support would bring to mechs which have a more expansive cockpit Feild-Of-View would be significant (and such mechs account for over half of all available mechs). Plus, as anyone who has used IR-tracking knows, the added immersion factor and increased situation awareness is huge.

It would be much much much easier to implement TrackIR support than Oculus Rift support, but if done correctly it could also be a step towards Rift support. If I had my wish, the feature priority would go like this: TrackIR support > CW > Oculus Rift support. I understand those of us running simulation pits and/or using TrackIR/DelanClip are certainly in the minority... but once the Rift is released (possibly at the end of this year as they just announced v2 of their dev kit), I think we'll start seeing that change in a powerful way.

Edited by dJellyfish, 21 March 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#29 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:19 AM

The fact that pgi outright snubs trackir is just so typical of them....

#30 Mahrexen

• Pip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

Bumping this since it is actually getting some attention and posts.

Be great to keep this at the top until PGI implements it, especially since the feature was supposed be in on release of the game.

#31 Monkeystador

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

I wish they would move into the direction of this. It is also useful for the Rift.

And it is not much that is needed to realise track IR or any other headtracker. Only the following:

* x,y rotation for player head in the controller assigment list, make this absolut. controller x/y 0 is straight ahead.
* make it active all the time

* the hard: decouple the crosshair from the player head view vector. Since you implement a 3d crosshair anyway this can be done in one swoop.

with this i guess i can map any headtracker/ trackIR system to the axis and get it working.

Edited by Monkeystador, 03 April 2014 - 02:48 AM.

#32 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

There is a promising development pertaining to TrackIR and MWO. The other day Karl Berg mentioned taking a shot at some immersion items in the 'paging Karl Berg' thread, so naturally I piped in with a TrackIR suggestion. I was not expecting a reply let alone any attention paid to the situation, however, he did reply, looked into it, and confirmed it was something already intended to be in and decided to move on it. Dialog w/NaturalPoint has started again, and some preliminary coding work has already been done.

Here's a link to the thread, starting from my response to him mentioning immersion items on the to do list. Obviously anyone is free to chime in, but I urge anyone that does to be polite... it's taken a long time to get this noticed/moved on, and you can catch more flies with honey anyhow.

#33 Mahrexen

• Pip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Bumping to keep this alive.

I did read the post linked prior that it has been handed off to the game play team but not another word since then.

I would hate for this to lose momentum and PGI decide again that it's not worth their time to implement.

#34 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostMahrexen, on 10 April 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Bumping to keep this alive.

I did read the post linked prior that it has been handed off to the game play team but not another word since then.

I would hate for this to lose momentum and PGI decide again that it's not worth their time to implement.

Sorry, I should have been updating this thread. I've been hitting Karl up on reddit, and got some more information, but here's where it's at now.
  • It's out of gameplay's hands, and in QA
  • Implementation is confirmed at 6DoF(!)
  • When dead players are spectating you, they're view will be normal
Relevant thread section

#35 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

I did not expect movement that quickly.
Now all they need to do is surprise me again and not provide a bad implementation.

#36 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Bump for TrackIR - I really hope this gets a timely implementation. TrackIR is such a huge immersion boost to simulations.

#37 ball0fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 178 posts
  • LocationQLD australia

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

and this is why everyone got pissed with them in the first plce

see how easy and fast it was? wihtin a few days its gone from no word to being in game and tested

why didnt they do this 2 years ago?

#38 Windsaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

I don't think TrackIR will be in this game this or even next year.

But I hope it will be for two reasons:

One: It seems I will never be able to use Oculus Rift because of my glasses and because I am sceptic because of the Facebook merge.
Two: TrackIR would actually make this awful cockpit of the Locust useful.

#39 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

I wonder if my FreeTrack system will work with this when its completed. . .

#40 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostLictor, on 16 April 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

I wonder if my FreeTrack system will work with this when its completed. . .

Hard to say, but NaturalPoint has been actually locking this down lately so I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't, which also means FaceTrackNoir would be out too. I hope it has open implementation though...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users