Marauder Contest - The End - Winners! Final Words! Special Thanks! Letter To Pgi!

30 replies to this topic

#1 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

Posted Image

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!

I am please to announce the winners of the Marauder Concept/Design Contest!
They are...

First Place: Marcobra!

Second Place: ResidentCrow!

Third Place: Bishop Steiner!

Congratulations!!! Click their names to see their submissions!
Ultimate Game Card prizes will be e-mailed to the addresses used to submit these designs as soon as I make the purchases. :P
Please check out this thread to browse all THIRTY-ONE submissions!!!

I hope this has been as wonderful experience for the community as it has been for me. I’ve learned quite a bit about the amount of work that goes into organizing these types of things. I’m not sure if I’ll be doing it again for a while since most of my time now is going to go into making Christmas gifts.

If I do another contest (that's a big 'if', btw), I will likely do it at a time when I have more time so that I can make more graphics for the contest. I mentioned before that I was thinking about making some special personalized graphics unique to this contest for first/second/third place, top 5, and all of the participants for use in the their signatures that were to this contest. But time ran short and I was only able to make a “Top 5” icon. :ph34r: Also for next time, I am thinking it would be nice to organize some additional types of prizes as well. Maybe even see if we can get some sponsors for paraphernalia? Hmmm? (looks at Razer???) Haha. A little less likely than gift cards, but it might be a potential goal.

I’ll mention again that the "Community Driven" text in each of the contest’s banners are 100% true and every Mechwarrior should be immensely proud of that - I mean it when I say that only you guys have made this contest possible, truely. I’m honored to have acted on the opportunity to host this contest, and I’m greatly humbled to see the response.

And finally, after five quick weeks, this marks the end to the Marauder Concept/Design Contest.

IqfishLP and LCRacerX - A very big special thank you to you both for donating towards the prizes. They have provided a substantial boost to the prizes, increasing the total prize pool from $95 up to $150 !!! (winners: send big hugs their way!!!)
Sean Lang - for helping spread the word on NGNG and getting it posted on the MWO Facebook!
MavRCK - for spreading the word on the Reddit page!

Bryan Ekman asked an intriguing question on Twitter in October regarding the Marauder, and it sparked the gusto in me to follow through with this. It is my deepest hopes that this contest provides you with the answers necessary to reach the ultimate goal.
Please, I ask that you take the time to analyze the thirty-one submissions that artists from the community have spent their time on making, and take note of the additional feedback that has been provided by fellow community members. No doubt that there is a massive following behind the Marauder, and the popularity and success of this contest adds to the proof.
I know designing a working Marauder that legally fits the community’s expectations is no small feat. Although, given the passion behind the original design, a compromise needs to be met by you and the community; however, my faith now lies with you to find the one that best fits.
It is in everyone’s hearts that you heavily consider this mech’s redesign and the expectations portrayed by the community found within this contest. I wish you the best of luck with its future production.

Related links:
Main Contest Thread
All Entries Voting Thread
Top 5 Voting Thread

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 November 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#2 ResidentCrow

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

Wow, second place!
After seeing some of the people who were entering this contest I thought making it to the top 5 would be quite the challenge. Competing with artists I look up to like Marcobra and Shimmering sword, and other great artists I have recently discovered, was very humbling.
My personal top 3 were as follows:
1. Shimmering Sword
2.Marcobra
3. Dadrick/Steiner/(cough*)myself(I know, I'm a terrible person)
So I was suprised by how the voting actually went.

I learnt a lot from the feedback and from the process while participating in this contest, and I'd like to thank everyone involved. The 31 artists, those who donated prize money, those who spread the word, those who voted, and especially Moon Unit Beta.

Thanks again.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

wow.

That was fun....and...perplexing.

Never in all my days did I think I would "beat out" a true pro like SS (As he returns to his thriving commission work, and I return to doodling?). And I still will say plainly he is the better artist. But to make it to the finals (by the skin of my teeth) then place 3rd? Not too many people can honestly say they are happy to do that, yet I am, considering the immense talent on display in this contest.

Congrats to Marcobra and ResidentCrow for their first and second place finishes. Truly deserved. But I think MUB has a point that all 31 designs say something. Let's hope PGI listens. Total respect to ALL the entrants, and doubly so to my fellow finalists.

Hey Moon Unit? You know after the holidays, you are so gonna get the itch to do another. Maybe working with NGNG in advance will make it a little less burdensome. (Though now I worry about designing anything and disqualifying it from future competitions!!!). Thanks bro!

#4 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

Wow, I never thought this contest would turn out that big.

When I saw the initial post, I knew that I had to support it and I made my donation to encourage more people to design their marauder.
Even I did one, but you saw that monster made in paint and I knew I better stick to video editing.

I hope PGI does another Project Phoenix type of thing or even gives us the Marauder as C-Bill version.

Everyone enjoy the prices and the beautiful artwork in this thread!

#5 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for everyone here! All the artists, sponsors, voters and winners and ofc: MoonUnitBeta! :P
It was a thrill to participate in this contest and to see the winners rising up.
But I love the art and all the comments the most.

Hope to see Alex' concept art(s) when (not if!) he takes on the Marauder with all of our heartblood put into the entries here in mind. :ph34r:

Edited by Reno Blade, 23 November 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#6 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

This was a great contest. Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all the participants for showing off some intriguing Marauder designs.

And hey, PGI if you're listening, and you can't make the Marauder despite all our hopes... Try the King Crab instead. That would make me happy, too.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 23 November 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

This was a great contest. Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all the participants for showing off some intriguing Marauder designs.

And hey, PGI if you're listening, and you can't make the Marauder despite all our hopes... Try the King Crab instead. That would make me happy, too.

you and me both. I even know where their is a 3D render of one floating around...... :D

#8 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

I would like to say congratulations to the top 3 and even to the top 5. I really loved the art work (and wish that I had even an ounce of drawing skill since I have tons of ideas but no way to show them) and it just goes to show that this is the best gaming community. Now it is time to start pestering Russ and Bryan about bringing some of these iconic works to life (Urbanmech [for Bishop], Marauder, Warhammer, etc.). At the very least it would be nice if Alex could draw up a reseen Marauder to see what his take on it would be within MWO.

#9 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 November 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

you and me both. I even know where their is a 3D render of one floating around...... :D

Shut up and finish your darn 3D physical model of it, damnit!

:(

#10 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 23 November 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

Shut up and finish your darn 3D physical model of it, damnit!

:D

Posted Image

*cough* *cough* I guess it's already finished :(

Just to clarify, the model is the product from the awesome kiriage, I'm working on the repaint. Right now im working through the damage effects on the paint.

Edited by IqfishLP, 23 November 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#11 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Big thanks those who donated to the prize pool. Bigger thanks to MoonUnitBeta for putting this together and putting his own funds and time into this. Biggest thanks to all the artists for their entries.

Congrats to the winners.

#12 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

Gratz guys.

#13 Foster Bondroff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Congrats Marcobra! Great work.

Thanks all others, really amazing things shown.

And kudos to Moon!

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostIqfishLP, on 23 November 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Posted Image

*cough* *cough* I guess it's already finished :D

Actually it's probabñy99% finished, gotta ask Kiriage for an update.

Your render confirmed my feers on the leg movement. Doesn't matter for our purposes, but the hip needs more play.
Just to clarify, the model is the product from the awesome kiriage, I'm working on the repaint. Right now im working through the damage effects on the paint.

#15 Legionn

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

Big thank you to whomever it was that posted the contest through Sarna [where I get most of my BT updates]. I would have missed it otherwise. Pretty awesome to see a community driven contest in conjunction with the devs to revise an unseen mech for the community.

#16 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Prizes have been completed and sent out. ^_^

#17 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

a big thanks to the competitors and organizer MUB and IqfishLP and LCRacerX Sean and mavRCK for making it all possible and hopefully one day the unseen will be possible! ^_^

#18 EarlGrey83

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:49 AM

That was a wonderfull competiton, thanks for organising this.

Also big gratulations to all the people who took part, you really produced some memorable designs. Now we only have to hope for a MAD in game. :D

#19 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

Nicely done, congrats to the winners and everyone who entered for some awesome art.

#20 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

Woohoo, one of my favorites won! thanks for doing this, and thanks to the artists!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users