Bug/error With Basic Text Typing

Answered

12 replies to this topic

#1 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

for about the last week or so, typing in the reply box at the bottom of the page I lose every 2nd character I press (sometime multiple chars in a row). I'm not sure exactly how fast I type, but apparently its too fast for the forums to keep up.

This proper box for new posts seems to work fine.

#2 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Windows 7
IE 11.0.9600.16428
no scripts

It was working fine up till recently

#3 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm getting the same thing, just updated my browser today to IE11 (windows 7 64 bit and I wouldn't know a script if it came up and bit me) but has been going on for a few days. Cannot Quote/Multi Quote MOST of the time and letters get dropped. It reminds me of a Spellcheck program but it seems to be malfunctioning. Almost like it's one for a mobile device where there are big fat thumbs pressing teeny tiny buttons or something. I;m not the fastest typist in the word, say 45-55 words a minute but with this issue I have to slow down to about 25-30 words and watch very closely for hiccups.

For reference, and I just saw the word reference auto correct, I have had to fix about 35 errors just typing this alone. Spaces not going in and any number of letters not showing up in the message.

Edited by Randalf Yorgen, 05 December 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

IE10 and IE11 have been causing problems with the forums. They have been adding funtionality to and changing the engine of the newest versions of Internet Exploder, and that has not be conducive to compatibility with the forum software for this site. Part of the problem might be that IE10 and IE11 were not supposed to be compatible with Win7 at all -- they were slated for Win8 compatibility only. They changed those plans to include Win7 compatibility halfway through development or something.

Workarounds:
1. Using a different browser solves the problem. I have used Chrome, Firefox, and Opera -- they all work. My primary is Opera but I have the others installed as well, as it is my experience that no browser is 100% compatible with all sites.
2. Click the button in the upper-left of the reply/edit window (picture of a switch). That goes to an alternate edit mode where stuff does work in IE10/IE11. Quote/MultiQuote works in that mode. You need to switch back to normal edit mode to use any of the editing buttons (Bold, Link, Image, etc.).

#5 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

was using EI9 when it started. I do switch the button you refer to but there are even issues still present in that mode. Still no quote/multi quote either.

As for using a different browser, not to interested in doing that as every new site I go to is trying to shove a new n down my throat. I'll wait for PGI t have a look.

9 times I had to go back and fix something just in this reply. Did someone muck up and add an auto complete to this message board?

#6 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

I use IE9 on several Win7 machines and it works perfectly for me on this site. I have access to many machines from my college, so I've tested many combos of browser and OS (including Win7/Win8, Server 2008/2012, and Ubuntu Linux).

Firefox has worked perfectly every time I've tried it.
Chrome has worked perfectly every time I've tried it.
Opera has worked perfectly every time I've tried it. As I said, it's my everyday browser and has been for the entire time I've played MW:O.
The only browser I've ever had a problem with on this site is IE, and only IE10/IE11. IE9 works fine.

IE, the most common browser on the planet, is the browser that adheres to the least amount of internet standards. Firefox, Chrome, and Opera all adhere to more standards, and are compatible with more sites.

If you want to wait, that's fine. They've known about this for a couple of months already though. It isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

And I don't know what sites you visit, but I've never had a site try to make me download a new browser.

#7 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:41 AM

hmm what is it, flash player or Java that comes with the little box already checked, download Crome and make it my default browser. Quick time tries to do the same thing as does OPEN OFFICE. Maybe you're just not seeing it because you already have these things downloaded on your computer and don't get the notifications and don't even know it?

They may have known for months but the issue is getting worse because many banking and e-mail sites are no longer supporting EI9 or lower so people are now having to upgrade their IE. Basically the clock has run out and IGP (not PGI, they have enough to do) needs to fix this now.

I did install Chrome and it does seem that the issue is with IE11. I don't like the feel of chrome and would like to get rid of it as soon as I can but I will have to wait until things are compatible again. I've used Firefox in the past, Not to interested in going back there again but if I have to then that might be my browser of choice.

Edited by Randalf Yorgen, 06 December 2013 - 05:44 AM.

#8 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Although I agree with you, it's not our fault in any way. The deal is, the website (and the forums themselves) are written for the bad and incorrect renderings that IE bestowed on this plighted land of web development. I personally believe that IE10 and IE11 are experiments in retaining the dwindling market share of the browser and have changed so many of their long standing ways without consulting the greater web development world.

Desperation does not a good browser make.

I will, however, investigate the issues regarding the text WYSIWYG system for IE10, IE11. I can't promise much if Microsoft has decided to throw HTML5 and the W3C standards under the bus.

#9 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

looks like it might be time to change browsers then. It does seem to be the autocorrect software that is causing the issue, any time those squiggly lines appear i think it pauses for a fraction to check the spelling, which ignores the next keypress(es).

I definitely agree its not MWO forum specific, I have the same issue with any forum using w/e BB code format this is.

#10 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

Wish I could switch browsers. Surface rt. :/

#11 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

This is a test of typing on IE9, there has not been a single problem with anything so far.

View PostSug, on 10 December 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

Wish I could switch browsers. Surface rt. :/

Quoting works! Now to try and do IE10.

#12 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 10 December 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

This is a test of typing on IE9, there has not been a single problem with anything so far.

Quoting works! Now to try and do IE10.

Holy {Scrap} it worked.

#13 Quasinerdo

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Just wanted to update this thread and say the problems still exist.

I'm using:

Win 7 x64 with latest updates.
IE 11.

Any workaround available besides a different browser? I need IE for some other equally crap software.

Evntyping tis sucks really bad as te keyboard just does notkeep up. Its like te is a monkey tht cnt keep up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users