Cheers!

#242 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

Just passing by to check is there are new mechs...

Nope, there aren't... :(

#243 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image

I did not have a very productive day at work today... well I guess that depends on what standard you're using. I did teach myself the ways of the pixel mech artist and made this Marauder Posted Image

I'd love some feedback from the master, and feel free to palette shift the colors and add to the collection.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 21 June 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#244 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 10 December 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

EDIT2: Praetorian Legion camo by CancersCincar

Posted Image

Man sorry but something is wrong there, locust isnt half jenner's size and catapult isnt 2/3 grasshopper size or smaller than dragon !!!
Yea yea.

You can fix it ? xD

Edited by Idealsuspect, 21 June 2016 - 07:02 PM.

#245 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

Lol had a feeling some wise guy would comment on the rescale :D

Anyway now that I'm home on my own computer I see issues with my Marauder I want to fix ... I can see this being a never ending process haha Posted Image

#246 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 21 June 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

Posted Image

I did not have a very productive day at work today... well I guess that depends on what standard you're using. I did teach myself the ways of the pixel mech artist and made this Marauder Posted Image

I'd love some feedback from the master, and feel free to palette shift the colors and add to the collection.

Loved it! You could continue the master's work, you know...

#247 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

So with the rescale-ening, does this mean you are going to reacreate all of the pixel mechs to PGI's new scale? Posted Image Posted Image

Edit: Im so not serious :P

#248 Strattus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 106 posts
  • LocationKazakhstan

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:54 AM

Well done for all the artistry! Really is a talent to create in an old format. Love the creativity, too! Posted Image

#249 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:18 AM

BTW, Dan, look my signature. ;)

#250 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

Nice Posted Image I'm sure I'll see it pop up in a few signatures over time. I'll probably have a final update to the Marauder to post later in the week, as I keep finding a stray pixel or two every time I look at it.

As I mentioned on Twitter, I will consider doing up the next few "classic" mechs as time permits. I'm potentially buying a house next month so my free time could evaporate in a heartbeat... But I definitely have the intention of doing more of them eventually, starting with the Warhammer and Rifleman. Maybe throw in the Mauler as well. Doing all of the missing mechs (Resistance 2 onwards I think?) isn't something I can commit to taking on at the moment Posted Image

Edited by Luscious Dan, 23 June 2016 - 09:53 AM.

#251 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

When 12:00 came around, it wasn't lunch time, it was hammer time! :D

Posted Image

#252 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:01 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 23 June 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

When 12:00 came around, it wasn't lunch time, it was hammer time! Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice!!

#253 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

Well I blew off a bunch of my responsibilities last night and put a few hours into the Archer and Rifleman, both are pretty much done. I'll do a quick review pass on all 4 throughout the day today, and repost the final images for them all.

I did one door open and one closed on the Archer, and I think I'll revise that so the main file has both doors closed, but there would be a second image with the open pods on the side that you can cut and paste over to make them open if you want. I have zero experience with animated gifs so I won't be able to make one where he's flipping the missile door switch back and forth :P

#254 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

The previous designs have been updated slightly in these group shouts as well. Just a little bit of cleanup all around. Hope you like em :D

#255 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

I will actually finish the remaining mechs this summer, because PGI has now released a picture that makes my job a lot easier. Now I can just copy the profiles of the mechs from this picture, instead of relying on screenshots.

Posted Image

So stay tuned, and this thread will have more pixel art shortly.

View PostLuscious Dan, on 21 June 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks very good. I'd be happy to provide some feedback. Pixel art is a rather complicated medium, actually. Most people won't be able identify the things that separate good pixel art from bad pixel art, although when you see truly awesome pixel art, you just know that it looks better. But you can't really explain the many things that separate a beginner from a skilled pixel artist, a lot of the time. Not until you start to study it and you learn more about pixel clusters, "jaggies" and a bunch of other stuff.

This is a good place to start though:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/
http://wayofthepixel.net/

I will give you one pointer. This is actually not about pixel art, it's just about painting or drawing in general.

Posted Image

Oh, and also notice that the light source is top left on all my mechs. That's why the left leg and left arm (the right side of the picture) is usually darker. The torso casts a shadow on the left leg and left arm, usually. So you just have to sort of look at the shape and imagine where the shadow from each component would fall.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 24 June 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#256 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

I was referencing the orthographic / blue print artwork a lot for the classic mechs as well, shrinking that down to help get the silhouette and go from there. Making the basic silhouette from the blueprints actually only takes a minute or two per mech.

You raise some excellent points about the perspective, it's something I was aware of and tried in a few areas, and the Archer is definitely the worst offender since it has angled areas (shoulders) that would benefit from the depth effect. I actually just slimmed down the entire Archer silhouette a little over my coffee break, he just came out a little chubby. The proper perspective on the shoulders should help him along.

I've done another round of tweaks and will probably continue fussing with the mechs more over time. I rarely consider anything truly finished, let alone perfect Posted Image Hopefully the subsequent revisions have a bit more depth instead of just focusing on lines and edges mostly.

Thanks for the pointers, looking forward to more of your work in the next while.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 24 June 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#257 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Major re-do on the Archer is underway. Almost done, but as always I'll wait a bit and tweak once or twice before re-posting. Not fun to just keep re-uploading and editing the forum posts over and over lol. If you want me to start a new thread and avoid the clutter here, just say the word boss :)

#258 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

My first real try on pixel art, Mauler:

Posted Image

Edited by Odanan, 09 July 2016 - 04:46 AM.
improved version

#259 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

Looking good, Odanan!

My own versions are underway. Just finished the boring job of tracing the outlines.

Posted Image

#260 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 16 July 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

Looking good, Odanan!

My own versions are underway. Just finished the boring job of tracing the outlines.

Posted Image

Oohh boy!!!

BTW, did you ever do the King Crab?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users