#21 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Nice. Like what you did there with Hvitbjorn. Both names sound and look good.

Good luck =D

#22 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 13 December 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Nice. Like what you did there with Hvitbjorn. Both names sound and look good.

Good luck =D

Thanks...so, the next question would be how to say "hvit"...is the "h" silent, does it get a heavier accent, as in "huh", or even a throaty hack-up-a-hairball sound?

#23 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

The H isn't silent. It is the throaty H, where its half whisper half implied - but definetly present.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 13 December 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#24 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

FIrst you really want to decide if you want it in Old Norse or in more modern Swedish as would more likely be used in the FRR.

There is a rather big difference between them (the closest language today to Old Norse would be Icelandic).

#25 Cariad

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Literally "Old Timers Guild" would be translated into "De gamlas gille" or "Gamlingarnas/Gamlingars gille" in modern day Swedish.

/Cariad

#26 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostCarl Wrede, on 13 December 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

FIrst you really want to decide if you want it in Old Norse or in more modern Swedish as would more likely be used in the FRR.

There is a rather big difference between them (the closest language today to Old Norse would be Icelandic).

Only as to spelling, Faorese is more likely spoken much as old norse was, which is nothing like the way icelandic sounds.

#27 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Also, going from place names, it seems the FRR was far more heavily settled by Norwegians as opposed to Swedes . Outsiders often tend to lump Scandinavians together without distinction between us.

It might be also noted that many Planets in the FRR share names with Austro-Hungarian and northern Italian place-names.
But like in America, many place-names have naught to do with the predominant spoken language or ethnicity or culture of the area at the present(or future) point in time.

Edited by Abivard, 05 January 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#28 IIIuminaughty

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Just keep it as Old Timers Clan or guild whatever u guys are. Your guild name means something from the start don't change it just because u wanna be like everyone else...**** that ****

#29 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Everyone seems to like Hvitbjorn Gildr for our unit name, so it looks like we'll stick with that. We actually have not made our presence known in the FRR community until recently, even though we had internally pledged to side with FRR in August of 2012. We are looking forward to being immersed in our roles in Community Warfare and do not mind having a specific FRR unit name as a subset of our guild name. We can always parenthetically reference our true guild name in any recruiting or other official posts. Also, it remains to be seen how unit names will be utilized within Community Warfare, if they will have a place within the game itself or will merely be used on the outside to organize on comms, etc.

#30 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Im just curious as to why you go with anything but swedish for the guild name when that is the FRR language. Norse, old norse, danish and such are to my knowledge not even mentioned in any of the sourcebooks :wub: (feel free to correct me).

#31 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

The official languages of the FRR are Japanese and Swedenese, a mix between swedish and japanese.

#32 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I am real curious how this swedenese spoken by port scum managed to morph into the common tongue. I can find not a single instance where a Japanese word supplants a Scandinavian word. In fact, through out most of the FRR even breathing a word of Japanese or exhibiting kurtian culture is a fast way to get lynched.

My guess is that when it was mentioned that in some port cities that a pidgin between Swedish and Japanese was used between the FRR and Kurtians someone took that to mean everyone spoke it. If the Kurtians had so thoroughly settled the FRR worlds with it's own citizens that every FRR person had to deal with them on a daily basis... well Swedish would have disappeared almost completely, because no Kurtian of rank would stoop to butcher his language with 'Gaijin' words.

Naw, swedenese is spoken by sailors, whores, pimps and touts.

The Official language is Swedish. German is also widely spoken, Japanese is known by many older citizens but is rarely spoken except to Kurtians. While hatred and violence towards Kurtian culture has changed from 'kill them all', it is by no means ended.

Edited by Abivard, 06 January 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#33 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostCavendish, on 06 January 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

Im just curious as to why you go with anything but swedish for the guild name when that is the FRR language. Norse, old norse, danish and such are to my knowledge not even mentioned in any of the sourcebooks :wub: (feel free to correct me).

As with anything, there are always remnants of old languages, customs, etc. that exist in today's world, despite being hundreds or thousands of years old. We don't have an automatic expiration date for words or traditions...some fall away from disuse, but others linger or are even resurrected from the past and made part of our future. It's a way to remain connected to those that went before us, as we represent the sum of their collective efforts. Why is Latin used to name fraternal societies or in scientific taxonomy? It's essentially a dead language in and of itself as no one strictly communicates with it, but parts of it continue in certain areas of today's society.

Edited by Sarsaparilla Kid, 06 January 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#34 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostAbivard, on 06 January 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

I am real curious how this swedenese spoken by port scum managed to morph into the common tongue. I can find not a single instance where a Japanese word supplants a Scandinavian word. In fact, through out most of the FRR even breathing a word of Japanese or exhibiting kurtian culture is a fast way to get lynched.

My guess is that when it was mentioned that in some port cities that a pidgin between Swedish and Japanese was used between the FRR and Kurtians someone took that to mean everyone spoke it. If the Kurtians had so thoroughly settled the FRR worlds with it's own citizens that every FRR person had to deal with them on a daily basis... well Swedish would have disappeared almost completely, because no Kurtian of rank would stoop to butcher his language with 'Gaijin' words.

Naw, swedenese is spoken by sailors, whores, pimps and touts.

The Official language is Swedish. German is also widely spoken, Japanese is known by many older citizens but is rarely spoken except to Kurtians. While hatred and violence towards Kurtian culture has changed from 'kill them all', it is by no means ended.

Here's what the FRR page on Sarna says, with a source reference of 20 year update, p.50:

The official language of the Republic is Swedish, but the dominant language of everyday life is a mix of Kurita Japanese and Swedish called Swedenese. This language has slowly evolved from a pidgin amalgam to a fully-formed, living language over the years of the Kurita occupation of Rasalhague. Today it is a rich language with a deep history and respectable body of literature. Swedenese is difficult for non natives to learn as a good foundation in both root languages is a requirement for fluency.

Like much lore I guess it has changed slightly over 30 years - perhaps hating the (space) Japanese isn't so politically correct any more and therefore the FRR has been toned down a bit?

Anyway, "dominant language of everyday life" sounds like it's a bit more common than your description.

Edited by stjobe, 06 January 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#35 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:55 AM

View PostKlappspaten, on 06 January 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

The official languages of the FRR are Japanese and Swedenese, a mix between swedish and japanese.

Nope.

And my question was poorly formulated in a way; Since Swedish is the official language (as in, the government use it) would not a military unit be named in that language.

Was just curious, didnt mean to start a argument heh.

#36 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

View PostCavendish, on 07 January 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

Nope.

And my question was poorly formulated in a way; Since Swedish is the official language (as in, the government use it) would not a military unit be named in that language.

Was just curious, didnt mean to start a argument heh.

My bad.

I think that depends on the dominating cultural background on the planet the unit comes from.
There would be probably a official name in Swedish, but an surname could probably be in the language consistent with the cultural background of that particular society.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users