35 replies to this topic

#1 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

My unit is part of The Old Timers Guild, a non-MWO-specific guild, and as such, we'd still like to use our basic guild name for our unit, but seeing that many FRR units have very Norse-appropriate names, we're thinking we should come up with a name to keep the theme going. I've looked at a free Norse to English translator, but I know from experience that translating from one language to another is not a simple matter of translating word for word, as word placement could have meaning as well...for example, in Spanish, the adjective follows the noun instead of preceding it as it normally does in English.

So, is there anyone with experience, preferably in Old Norse, that could translate our guild name?

#2 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Guild is easy, but you need to decide on how you want "Old Timers" translated.

You can have it LITERALLY translated or you can have the meaning of it translated.

As in Norse the phrase "old timers" would be meaningless. So, for instance. You could have something like Old-Men, or Ancient folk etc.

#3 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for clarifying, Mech...it would easy enough to translate literally, I suspect, and another to come up with a phrase that is more semantically significant to the Old Norse, or at least to the current Scandinavian descendants. At this time, I think it would help us to know what the semantic translation would be, if possible.

#4 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Just my two cents, if you want to be also true to BT universe, it might be good idea to use simple word. Gamlir means old men, so put into BT universe as FRR unit it would be for example 1st Gamlir, 2nd Gamlir, etc.

#5 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Old Norse is tough. Peruse the following dictionary and see if you can come up with something: http://www.yorku.ca/...h-Old_Norse.pdf

I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy. For instance: 1st Rasalhague Dragonregimentë.... It means "Dragoon Regiment", and the " ë " has no meaning other than looking cool. Just have fun with it and get something you are happy with and that sounds cool.

#6 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

Yeah also don't forget its 3050 and we speak Swedenese. No one's going to make a big deal if you don't have a perfect translation since Old Norse is Lostech. I would just go with something that looks and sounds cool as said by Surtr. elli gildi is old age guild from that PDF, play around with that and it could be a good start.

#7 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thanks all! I'll see what the guild wants to do, so we can submit our name to the FRR Council and the new comms hub.

#8 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

The norse had a very poetic way of naming things. I recommend you consider that before you decide on your norse name.

A few examples I can think of for "Old Timers" would be:

Grey-Bears
Ancient-Trees
Dull-Swords
Grey-Goths
Old-Wolves

I am sure with some serious thought people here could come up with better ones. You just need to pair up a word or means "old" with one that means "warrior". I don't know any good kennings for old off hand, obviously, but pretty well known ones for "warrior" are bjorn (bear), vithr (tree), swords (brandr), Goths (gautr) and wolves (ulfr)..

#9 Darkwing_Duck

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

don't forget Long Toothed.

#10 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

View Postjoedawg39s, on 11 December 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Yeah also don't forget its 3050 and we speak Swedenese. No one's going to make a big deal if you don't have a perfect translation since Old Norse is Lostech. I would just go with something that looks and sounds cool as said by Surtr. elli gildi is old age guild from that PDF, play around with that and it could be a good start.

Actually swedenese is spoken in only one or two major spaceports, and by the lower sorts that frequent spaceports, ie Criminal elements, freelance traders etc...It is not a written language, it is a spoken pidgin.

#11 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thankfully in the JarnFolk Cluster we Isengrim speak Old Norse with a little Danish mixed in.

#12 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

So, would the two words be run together? For example, Forn means ancient, Vidhr means tree...so Fornvidhr for ancient tree? Or keep them separate words...Forn Vidhr? And then, if we add Gildi for guild...keep that separate or tack on to the end? Thanks!

#13 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

I remember you Old Timers back in MW4 mercs. Good to see a bunch of you still around!

#14 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Turn them into a single world.

Fornvidhr Gildi

Would be about it..however Gildi might have a different ending..

Here's a list of Norse words used in proper naming components:
http://www.waesir.com/traditions.html (scroll down a little to Norse Naming section)
it was culled from a different source then the popular Old Norse to English PDF that everyone finds on the internet.

Also. The examples I gave initially were just what came off the top of my head. Here's a list of other kennings for warriors..
https://www.abdn.ac....l=WARRIOR&view=

Just incase you were wondering why Vidr/Vithr would mean warrior. Its because when light is playing tricks on you (Dark, twilight,fog etc) that trees in a forest can appear as menacing warriors.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 12 December 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#15 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Lots of kennings there, Mech! They were kind of long and/or difficult, so I looked over the first link, which actually had something for "time". So, something like Aldtith Gildir (adding the masculine "r")

#16 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

How about going with a Swedish translation? "Old timer's Guild" could be translated into "Gamlingagillet", which has a nice enough Norse ring to it.

And if you want the etymology, "gammal" means "old", "gamling" means "old person" (or "old timer"), and "gille" means "guild". The "t" on the end makes it singular.

#17 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostSarsaparilla Kid, on 12 December 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

Lots of kennings there, Mech! They were kind of long and/or difficult, so I looked over the first link, which actually had something for "time". So, something like Aldtith Gildir (adding the masculine "r")

There is a chance it might be Aldtith Gildr. But otherwise...

Looks good to me =)

Edited by Mech The Dane, 13 December 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#18 Lan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostAbivard, on 12 December 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Actually swedenese is spoken in only one or two major spaceports, and by the lower sorts that frequent spaceports, ie Criminal elements, freelance traders etc...It is not a written language, it is a spoken pidgin.

Source?

The official language is Swedish but Swedenese is supposed to be the common tongue due to the influx of Kurita?

#19 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 13 December 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

There is a chance it might be Aldtith Gildr. But otherwise...

Looks good to me =)

Thanks, Mech...I presented the guys with two alternatives, the above and also Hvitbjorn Gildr...in which Hvitbjorn means "white bear", which could imply an old bear/warrior, but also the white bear is used in Clan Ghost Bear's crest...so a bit of a double meaning.

#20 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 12 December 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

I remember you Old Timers back in MW4 mercs. Good to see a bunch of you still around!

Hey, mwhighlander...if OTG played in MW4, I personally was not part of that crew. I ran for a bit with some old friends from my MW2 unit, Clan Pendragon, and some guys from Lords of Destiny, our former nemesis in MW2, guys like Khayman, Flannagan, Jackal, Stealth, Reddragon...few others, but drawing a blank on the rest...and my pilot name at that time was Darkwater.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users