Clan Package Thoughts

892 replies to this topic

#761 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 14 April 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Not only the hit detection. There is also a CryEngine speed limit i remember. This means that MASC is holding Flea and others in an indirect way ;)

Does the Shadowcat have MASC too? I am not very familiar with it, thank you for reminding me!

If they cannot push this limit and get the MASC implemented then they can add the Ice Ferret, the most common medium 'Mech in the Wolf touman.

Yes! Where is the Ice Ferret?!?

#762 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 13 April 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

You do realize there's a craft your own pack option, right? You can skip the Kitfox if you want.

No, I usually just smash my face in to the keyboard, then hit enter when I finish a sentence.

#763 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 14 April 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

No, I usually just smash my face in to the keyboard, then hit enter when I finish a sentence.

You sure, because your last statement said you refuse to purchase a clan pack due to not wanting a Kitfox and there's an easy way to accomplish that - yet you seem resistant (and angry).

#764 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 14 April 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

yet you seem resistant (and angry).

A lot of that going around, supposedly. Because the game is dying and will be dead in a week. Or so it was said, every single week for the last two years. ;) Who knew?

#765 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

According to some, it is on over a year of borrowed time. Lol. The doom Sayers of MWO

Clearly this hero Mech sale is their last grab for money before they shut down the studio. . .

#766 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Posted Image

#767 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 14 April 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

You sure, because your last statement said you refuse to purchase a clan pack due to not wanting a Kitfox and there's an easy way to accomplish that - yet you seem resistant (and angry).

. I should have elaborated myself as well, I think a sentence or two is missing there ( stupid touchpad mouse). It should have read more like this:

I'm not going to get a clan pack, but not for butthurt reasons. I simply don't want a Kitfox, and I am not going to pay for mechs that I do not want again. I got the overlord phoenix pack and regret buying any of that before seeing it play, and I have not used the locust more than twice.

For me, I am saving up the C-bills (Kerenskys) to buy the Clan 'mech I want, and I'll grind it like a champ. This time I am going to wait and see what is viable before diving in with cash.

That is how I meant it to read. Sorry for the miscommunication

#768 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

*picturing Fire Moth @ 216 kph*

mmm...lag shield...

#769 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostGyrok, on 14 April 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

*picturing Fire Moth @ 216 kph*

mmm...lag shield...

Speed tweak. :huh:

#770 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 14 April 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

Posted Image

THAT WAS SO WIN! :huh: ;) :D :D :D

#771 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

Wish they would give you some extra MC or something as a thank you for dropping that kind of cash.

#772 Roper Band

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

View Postshad0w4life, on 15 April 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

Wish they would give you some extra MC or something as a thank you for dropping that kind of cash.

Yeah, I'm starting to agree. I'm considering laying down the coin for a clan mech, but am I going to get all the available clan weapons? Am I immediately going to have to pay _____C-bills to make it the way that I want?

#773 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostRoper Band, on 18 April 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Am I immediately going to have to pay _____C-bills to make it the way that I want?

I would wager you most certainly have to do so. That being said, there are almost no (almost) no IS Mechs offered that do not require an immediate investment of c-bills to make more playable, given that I do not want to go in without some tonnage savings (endo and in less common cases, FF armor) and without DHS and normally the frankenmech designs do not meet with my playstyle, even though I rarely pilot "meta-mechs."

I spend a few million on virtually every Mech I buy to tweak it to my tastes. Clan Mechs will be no different I am sure.

#774 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostRoper Band, on 18 April 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Am I immediately going to have to pay _____C-bills to make it the way that I want?

Well I would suspect both Yes and No. Think of it this way. All clan mechs come with XL engines that can't be changed (so no new engine costs) and Double heat sinks (no upgrade required). Also the presence of Endo and/or FF is fixed and can't be changed, so again no upgrade. Artemis may or may not be available for us (it should be), so that is possibly the only upgrade. So in reality, we should only have to buy weapons/ammo/heat sinks/ and armor - so not really major costs.

However, I have a different concern. Certainly today the most effective builds in MWO are the "poptart" PPC/AC combo mechs. We have only one mech that can pull this off, so to compete in leagues and (most likely) CW, we're going to have to rely heavily on the Summoner. If we get the "B" or "C" variant, we should be able to pull off the 2xERPPC, LBX-5 setup and upgrade our armor to MWO standards (using a LBX-10 or UAC-10 isn't an option as we'll have no room for ammo), we're also going to have to shoehorn in some more heat sinks, as 14 doubles won't handle 2xERPPC's very well. Forgetting about our very slow lights, with the significant nerfs that PGI has talked about for our weapons, I can envision a heavily over-nerfed bunch of Clan mechs that can't compete in the min/max world of MWO. I really hope PGI lets us test them extensively on the test server before they are released in June, to try to get some reasonable balance in the game. Limiting how we can upgrade our mechs is one way to balance us, as is nerfing our weapons, doing both might wind up being a bit over the top. I would very disappointed to have bought all the Clan Mechs, only to have them be second rate in competitive play.......

#775 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:11 AM

View PostMoenrg, on 28 April 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

Limiting how we can upgrade our mechs is one way to balance us, as is nerfing our weapons, doing both might wind up being a bit over the top. I would very disappointed to have bought all the Clan Mechs, only to have them be second rate in competitive play.......

I hope it will not be exaggerated. I recognize in previous games Clan tech was really too OP (and easy to get in MW4) compared to IS tech..

Some problems may come from letting IS BattleMechs be customized much more easily and freely than they were and now imposing decent lore restrictions on OmniMechs.. At least they are the first to try to implement OmniMechs (almost) right, i praise them for it!

Second rate for competitive play? We are talking about lights able to mount ERPPCs, Gauss or UAC/5, mediums with possibly at least two ERRPCs, Heavies with interesting combinations of ERPPCs, Gauss and UAC/s and, most important,Assaults with possibly TONS of ERPPCs and UAC/5s... Honestly i fear them. I would totally want the competitive game to change. Fortunately we will be able to fight more interesting Trials of Possession with private matches ;)

#776 Ninthshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

I have got my eyes firmly set on the light clan Mechs.

We do not have quite enough information to make assumptions yet. I am trying my best to shake the nagging concern about the possibility of going around 100 when many light builds don't want to dip below 120+ or so.

I hope the general premise they might end up packing enough firepower to make up for it holds. While the mentality that they are for a largely different 'role' or purpose than current lights is nice in theory, I have my doubts as to how that will hold up in practice.

Dedicated as I would like to be, I'm still going to have to make sure I've got a medium ready for my piece of mind.

#777 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

Consider: An Adder can pack two SSRM6 and 2 ERMLas into its frame, with tonnage spare for an active probe. The two SSRM6 alone is almost double the firepower of the Oxide, a relatively clunky, yet successful, non-jump capable light mech. The two ERMLas have the combined damage output just shy of three medium lasers at the range of a large laser. The loss of a single side torso will not destroy the mech. It is also a mech that is only a hair bigger than the Jenner which is already a fairly small target.

And that is if you set it up to light kill. If you go with large LRM racks, you do not even need to see the enemy. Considering the Kit Fox and Adder are light support mechs (or light medium mechs, even), and not actual scouts per say, if you play them to their strengths they have no reason not to shine.

And, if all else fails, you have a flamer. :D

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 29 April 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#778 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

It will be interesting to see how the Clan Mechs and Tech do play out when we see their apparent strengths and weaknesses.

I guess modelling to IS capabilities with current Meta understanding is also a difficult premise to use without best determining a good "applied" understanding of both the Clan Mechs and their weapons as interpreted by PGI.

For me I guess any mech has a place on the field if played to their strengths, but some Mechs seemingly from a gameplay standpoint having more strengths than others based on the current Meta understandings.

At the same time I also like the idea of the Clans having a more unique flavour of both Tech and Tactical use that will potentially help to differentiate the game play so that there is more game play content.

However until I have the seat time to better understand the subtleties here, I can't see anything wrong with considering contigencies if only to have the flexibility and options when the introduction of Clan equipment occurs.

Edited by Noesis, 29 April 2014 - 07:01 AM.

#779 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 April 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

And, if all else fails, you have a flamer. :D

lol I vividly imagined: Mordor, one's lost both torsos, so he jumps in the crater of volcano, presses O, to disable overheat shutdown, and makes a long salvo from flamer! Clansmen do not surrender! I consider this as most useful usage of flamer on Adder.

P.S. Seriously, why we don't have ejection?
P.P.S. Yes, it went off topic back again :P

#780 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

One lost torso is ok. Two and you are toast. :D Not quite as durable as standard engines but better than IS XL!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users