#261 Vanos

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Even though their balancing is ongoing you should try to get a few updates with stuff out and in updated with the changes to AC 2's, 5's, and missles. Nice initial list, saw it and liked it just never left feedback. As my thing shows i seldomly bother to post.

Edited by Vanos, 20 April 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#262 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Awesomes aren't awesome? not competitive maybe but definitely awesome.

#263 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostShatterpoint, on 20 April 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

Awesomes aren't awesome? not competitive maybe but definitely awesome.

While I agree with you, this thread is specifically for purely competitive play, min max to the max basically.

#264 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostMavRCK, on 17 February 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

I recommend people read this post by Ryan Steel: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3159484

He summarizes the logic and train of thought that completely stymies and confuses the competitive community when dealing with Paul Inouye and especially when reading his posts. The logic is well-supported by 1-2 years of changes by Paul. :rolleyes: I hope it lights a fire in PGI!

Aye, let's hope it does. Maybe then PGI begins to realize that they put the equivalent of Jay Wilson in charge of their bread and butter.

#265 RapidFire7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 412 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

Please update original post, this is a great topic! :(

#266 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

Genuinely curious on what basis the mechs rated. Are there official figures/stats I'm not aware of? Corp Leagues/Tournaments?

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 28 April 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#267 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

They are rated on hardpoint location, hitbox divisions, use of jumpjets, and most importantly, the meta weapons. If you want to be the uber competitive meta player, then these mechs are what you want. On the other hand, you can also play your own mechs and go crazy with those as well. Competitive teams will more or less field the tier 1 and 2 mechs most of the time. Remember, this is mainly for competitive play.

EDIT: also, quite a few tourneys have proven this list to be true for the most part.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 28 April 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#268 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 05 March 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

I posted my thoughts on /outreachhpg reddit forums but the white knights - super extremists / terrorist protectors of PGI/MWO - down-voted it to oblivion. It's a shame, you have /mwo which is the dark knight - extremely negative naysayers of PGI/MWO and the outsprout of SJR / QQ and a few other self-serving groups with their reddit forum attempts to ingratiate themselves to PGI. There's very little balanced and intelligent discussion as a result.

The Banshee is terrible. You have a ballistics version which relies on slow torso twisting to follow any thing moving at close to medium ranges -- torso laser version which will be too hot and rely on slow torso twist -- and semi boar's head equivalent that has 5 of laser hardpoints in the torso.... the Hero mech is a travesty... and I hope no one wastes their money.

While the medium pulse and large pulse lasers received some buffs and the jump jets got some attention, the overall state of balance of the game is unchanged and thus I perceive these changes to be insignificant. Recent posts by Russ and PGI such as believing the game should be oriented to single player because the majority of players do not play in a group suggests some serious logical flaws in their analysis --- which consider the current and past history of PGI should be expected.

Overall, the game is unbalanced, has not address fundamental issues of invisible walls and movement, and continues to demonstrate concerns in management's ability to assess the needs and the desires of the target audience in order to create a long-term viable game.

:(

Posted Image

#269 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:16 PM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 28 April 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

Genuinely curious on what basis the mechs rated. Are there official figures/stats I'm not aware of? Corp Leagues/Tournaments?

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 April 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

They are rated on hardpoint location, hitbox divisions, use of jumpjets, and most importantly, the meta weapons. If you want to be the uber competitive meta player, then these mechs are what you want. On the other hand, you can also play your own mechs and go crazy with those as well. Competitive teams will more or less field the tier 1 and 2 mechs most of the time. Remember, this is mainly for competitive play.

EDIT: also, quite a few tourneys have proven this list to be true for the most part.

Enjoyed reading the OP but am very interested in seeing some actual hard data statistics which prove the tier system's info is correct (or incorrect).

A breakdown of which mechs are/were used in competitive play in every tournament that has been held up until this point and especially the mode end scores of all those mechs as opposed to the average scores (which can be skewed by a fluke on either end of the bell curve) would go a long way in proving which mechs in each class are the best competitive choices.
As a matter of fact it's the only data I'd really take at its face value because I've seen too many people too many times succumb to 'group think.'
Remember that once upon a time everyone thought the world was flat...

Anyhow, again, great article but I really want to see the hard stats.

#270 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 02 September 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

Enjoyed reading the OP but am very interested in seeing some actual hard data statistics which prove the tier system's info is correct (or incorrect).

A breakdown of which mechs are/were used in competitive play in every tournament that has been held up until this point and especially the mode end scores of all those mechs as opposed to the average scores (which can be skewed by a fluke on either end of the bell curve) would go a long way in proving which mechs in each class are the best competitive choices.
As a matter of fact it's the only data I'd really take at its face value because I've seen too many people too many times succumb to 'group think.'
Remember that once upon a time everyone thought the world was flat...

Pretty much every tournie so far has used the T1 and T2 mechs on this list.

#271 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:49 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone (since this post has been bumped) that this tier list is badly outdated. Meta has swifted and the gameplay has changed. I suggest you check out Gman129's up-to-date tier list with the builds he prefers. Gman is a long time veteran in competitive play and he has a lot of experience and knowledge about the mechs used.

The list can be found in Mercstar: http://www.mercenary...php?topic=192.0

However I suggest people read it as a general guideline rather than a bible. I encourage everyone to test out their own min/maxed builds to get the result they are looking for. While some decks support the "tier 1 mechs", some do not and you are forced to improvise to get the result you want.

View PostHeroForHire, on 02 September 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

It is nearly impossible to gather hard stats of the mechs. The list is based on experience.

#272 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

View Postugrakarma, on 02 September 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Just wanted to remind everyone (since this post has been bumped) that this tier list is badly outdated. Meta has swifted and the gameplay has changed. I suggest you check out Gman129's up-to-date tier list with the builds he prefers. Gman is a long time veteran in competitive play and he has a lot of experience and knowledge about the mechs used.

The list can be found in Mercstar: http://www.mercenary...php?topic=192.0

However I suggest people read it as a general guideline rather than a bible. I encourage everyone to test out their own min/maxed builds to get the result they are looking for. While some decks support the "tier 1 mechs", some do not and you are forced to improvise to get the result you want.

I may dislike Mavrck's list, but I'll say that Gman's list does not strike me as a competitive scene list. STK-3F!?!?

#273 Garandos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 196 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:57 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 03 September 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

I may dislike Mavrck's list, but I'll say that Gman's list does not strike me as a competitive scene list. STK-3F!?!?

High mounted Energy Slots, make it a good Fire Support Plattform, hughe ammount of DHS, it is a solid choice.

Yet, its better in competive play, as of the T list, where you have a plan layd out and a drop deck, which considers its drawbacks and works arround them with your Setup.

In PUGs its only T2.

Meaning: personaly i am agreeing with the 3F its a solid build on a solid mech, for fire support(!).

#274 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hey guys -- thanks for checking in on this list -- however, as stated, my list is out-of-date and not being maintained. Please check out Gman's list.

That said, there is a lot of good information containing here -- especially the videos on tactics, skills and concepts behind playing MWO.

This tier list was always intended for new players wanting to enter into competitive MWO. The information here is to accelerate the learning process and get new players as quickly as possible to a level playing field with the more experienced players and teams.

Enjoy :)

#275 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 09 September 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

Hey guys -- thanks for checking in on this list -- however, as stated, my list is out-of-date and not being maintained. Please check out Gman's list.

Where can I find this? Your list is too popular..
http://mwomercs.com/search?q=tier+list

#276 SolutionCat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 03 September 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

I get more kills with my STK-3F then any other mech I play. I run 300standard dhs 2x lpulse (right arm) 4x mpulse. 1ams with 1 ton, most armor is front loaded. It makes amazing use of terrain and cover has fast recycle time on weapons and can easily beat direwolf meta almost every time in a heads up without terrain.

#277 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostSolutionCat, on 16 September 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

I get more kills with my STK-3F then any other mech I play. I run 300standard dhs 2x lpulse (right arm) 4x mpulse. 1ams with 1 ton, most armor is front loaded. It makes amazing use of terrain and cover has fast recycle time on weapons and can easily beat direwolf meta almost every time in a heads up without terrain.

Ok. I'll have to try it out.

#278 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 16 September 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

Ok. I'll have to try it out.

It was also the old 4x PPC build that terrified people. I roll mine with 2 PPC and 2 LPLs
STK-3F lightning and wubs
STK-3F (the old terrorizor)

#279 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 24 September 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

It was also the old 4x PPC build that terrified people. I roll mine with 2 PPC and 2 LPLs
STK-3F lightning and wubs
STK-3F (the old terrorizor)

You mean 6 PPC?

#280 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 September 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

You mean 6 PPC?

The hexastalker was a giggly gimmick.

The 4pepsi stalker was incredibly common in comp play back in the days of the GRifle, ERPPC, 2xPPC HGN-732.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users