Centurian

14 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

The Yen-lo-wang has been on my radar as a mech that has interested me.. I have never played a cent before, so really not sure in the style they play. I hear they have been changed, along with the HBK, recently.

My question is.. What does the Yen-lo have that the Other ballistic versions of the cent mechs do not? Well other than the cool paint job?

Judging from the stock load out, It looks like it is basically an HBK, with a smaller engine, and 1 less ML.. But if i upgrade to endo/double, perhaps FF.. Does it run faster?

It is a hero, so it get's a C-bill boost right? (or is this one of the mechs that is XP boost?) My thinking if it is a C-bill boost, and it plays very much like the HBK, with out the hump, maybe it is for me.. Seeing it is MC only, i figured i would ask first.. My MC has to last me till summer! :wacko:

is there something i am missing? maybe the arm swing, faster twist, anything that might make this mech a better choice for the Big AC? But outside of the C-bill, is there anything that this mech has over the other 2 variants of cent's that can also hold a big AC?

Edited by JC Daxion, 17 December 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#2 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

The big thing is the arm mounted AC/20. None of the other Centurions can do that - they can only mount an AC/10.

It's a mixed blessing though. You lose out on your chest missile slots, and throw all of your damage dealing into an arm. It's not helped by the fact that experienced players are well aware of this, and will aim to take your arm off faster than you can blink, and once that's done all you have are two medium lasers left.

A lot of competitive players don't like the YLW. It's very easy to neutralize the arm, and the "meta" build for Centurions is to ignore the arm mounted AC and to focus on your chest mounted missiles. That way all of your weapons are centrally located, which makes the Centurion notoriously hard to stop, especially if you stick with a standard engine. This being said, I LOVE my YLW. Sure, it has it's weak spots, but I play for the lulz, and nothing says lulz like an AC/20 in a medium mech.

You can make upgrades to it, to change the weapons and boost the speed. For that though, I'd go to Smurfy's website (http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/) where you can play with load outs before you actually spend anything.

You do get a 30% C-bill boost, which is nice.

#3 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

With the hit box changes centurions are a lot less durable than they used to be.

YLW is the only cent can take an AC20. It's loadouts are severely limited. The two most common are 2 medium lasers with either an AC20 or 2 UAC5's.

More of a fun mech than an effective mech. MC would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

#4 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

If you want a Hero mech, take the Muromets or Firebrand

The only thing the YLW has going for it is the AC20 right arm, which ALWAYS gets blown off first

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

If nothing else it is potentially the fastest AC/20 on the field. :D

Big reason to play the Yenlo is the arm mounted AC/20 and the Cbill boost.

If you have played with AC/20s before, and liked them - and played and like the Centurions, it is a solid buy (IMO)
But (as with ALL Hero mechs) I would highly recommend playing the Cbill versions first, since:
1) that will give you some idea of how you would like the chassis
2) you are going to need 2 of them anyways to get the most out of your Hero mech.

:D

Best of luck on the field to ya!

#6 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

I run both a hunchback, and the wang:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...31a42d750379020

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d8cd7c71392ce3a

The major difference is in the hardpoint locations. Though the YLW only has two energy, rather than 3 (and the HBK-4H comes with 5), having both in the center torso, combined with the centurion's superior geometry, gives you excellent endurance. 4 tons of AC20 ammo is about as much as you might want - there will be times when your arm will be blown off before you run out.

If you have some extra bills, the YLW is potentially the fastest AC20 in the game at 97kph (+speed tweak):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...292003207155532

Another nice feature of the cent is that the CN9-A is a very solid mech as well.

Edited by qki, 17 December 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 17 December 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

The big thing is the arm mounted AC/20. None of the other Centurions can do that - they can only mount an AC/10.

CN9-AH. 2 missile, 3 ballistic, no energy. No lower arm actuator (right arm). Removed the day Yen Lo Wang was released.

#8 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Sheesh. There's always someone that comes along... "back in my day we had this mech that could do that stuff..." :rolleyes:

#9 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yen low is a much greater "finess" build.

Don't worry too much about the venerabilities of the arm. Unless you are in a high ELO bracket, Most players will be just trying to shoot straight enough to hit their targets let alone target out individual components.

That being said, it is a BIG concern if you pick it up. (As it is easy for experienced players to pick off.) To counterbalance this though, you NEED to learn how to use your left side as a living shield.

You NEED to learn how to use battlefield awareness to drive, rotate around and shoot just long enough to get your AC shot off, then twist back to expose your left side. This way, you have an entire arm, and torso cushion the AC for you.

LEARNING HOW TO DO THIS IS KEY TO HAVING FUN WITH THE YEN-LOW. If you can learn to do that, its a powerful and VERY fun ride. (I love mine with my 2 MPL's of doom.)

#10 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 17 December 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Sheesh. There's always someone that comes along... "back in my day we had this mech that could do that stuff..." :rolleyes:

Back in my day, all our mechs were made of lead. And that reminds me of a... uh...
Posted Image
What were we talking about?

#11 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

the main feature of yenlow is four module slots once mastered ( my main reason for owning it as part of my centurion platform)

restricted to 300xl ( doesn't come with one ) realy a bit of money and time must be spent for yenlow to come alive, but I still like him.

centD is my pick of the bunch for versatility, it has hardpoints for 2x ballistics 2x energy 2x missile 1× ams ( going off memory ) and moves along at 124.7k with 350xl and speed tweak.

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

View Postsneeking, on 17 December 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

the main feature of yenlow is four module slots once mastered ( my main reason for owning it as part of my centurion platform)

This sold me.. a very big plus in my book! for down the road having 4 modules on a medium would be very helpful i would think

#13 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

It's effective... but with the latest changes the centurion is not the damage taking mech it used to be. Honestly, the Wang's quirk to live until 15% made them worth playing. They are still tough but not nearly what they were.

I still drive mine.. Just hide the AC20 from fire and keep yourself hidden as much as possible and it will do well.
107kph with ST helps though.

#14 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostSpiralFace, on 17 December 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Yen low is a much greater "finess" build.

Don't worry too much about the venerabilities of the arm. Unless you are in a high ELO bracket, Most players will be just trying to shoot straight enough to hit their targets let alone target out individual components.

That being said, it is a BIG concern if you pick it up. (As it is easy for experienced players to pick off.) To counterbalance this though, you NEED to learn how to use your left side as a living shield.

You NEED to learn how to use battlefield awareness to drive, rotate around and shoot just long enough to get your AC shot off, then twist back to expose your left side. This way, you have an entire arm, and torso cushion the AC for you.

LEARNING HOW TO DO THIS IS KEY TO HAVING FUN WITH THE YEN-LOW. If you can learn to do that, its a powerful and VERY fun ride. (I love mine with my 2 MPL's of doom.)

I agree, I mastered the other 3 Cent builds pretty soon after open beta. I was always interested in the Yen-Lo, and when the sale came along, I no longer resisted. The easiest way to run a Yen-Lo is to always try to circle your target in a counter-clockwise rotation, this makes it much easier to keep your left arm facing the target. This also gives you the hint that movement is key for the Yen-Lo.

View Postsneeking, on 17 December 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

restricted to 300xl ( doesn't come with one ) realy a bit of money and time must be spent for yenlow to come alive, but I still like him.

centD is my pick of the bunch for versatility, it has hardpoints for 2x ballistics 2x energy 2x missile 1× ams ( going off memory ) and moves along at 124.7k with 350xl and speed tweak.

While I agree about the 'D' being the most versatile Cent, it lost a lot of it's shine when they released the Shadowhawks.

#15 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostMoenrg, on 18 December 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

I agree, I mastered the other 3 Cent builds pretty soon after open beta. I was always interested in the Yen-Lo, and when the sale came along, I no longer resisted. The easiest way to run a Yen-Lo is to always try to circle your target in a counter-clockwise rotation, this makes it much easier to keep your left arm facing the target. This also gives you the hint that movement is key for the Yen-Lo.

About the arm thing as well,

Put priority in unlocking Torso twist speed and Max torso twist efficiency ASAP. (After the regular heat based ones.)

Once unlocked, the torso rotation value is HUGE and fast. Making it much easier to block shots when you see a big mech wheeling around to target you. Additionally, the extended torso twist arc makes the Yen low a near turret it extends so far. Which is great because there are very few "blind spots" where you can't twist to bring either your shield arm or front armor out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users