Frame Rate Dropped To 30!

36 replies to this topic

#1 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

main menu/mechlab framerate in now at 30fps from 60 before patch!!!

#2 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

I noticed this too. Ingame you still get normal framerate though.

Judging from GPU temps, I think this was done purposefully to reduce GPU usage.

Edited by August55, 17 December 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#3 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

I also am having FPS down to about 30. I am using a AMD Radeon 7770.

#4 Yaros525

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts
  • LocationKiev, Ukraine

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

YES IT IS. 30 fps inside MechLab now. Not good.

#5 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Same...First boot of the game 60 FPS..after one match down to 30. IT IS A FEATURE!!!

#6 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

A bad feature at that. It looks ugly.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 17 December 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#7 Phromethius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 17 December 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Add a wee bit of motion blur. 30-60 frames is pretty much the normal rate that the eye can handle properly anyway. Anything higher than that is just hardware bragging rights. Also Higher rates does not equal smoother picture either. Micro stutters from the progressive frame rate are noticable by the eye. Motion blur helps this out.

just a side note too, this is why the Film industry adopted 24 fps as a standard. The only times this has been increased is recently on the Hobbit filmed at 48fps and apparently the Avatar sequels will be as well.

That is also why 120Mhz TV settings sometimes look "too real" because it is refreshing faster than the eye normally sees so it seems like real life.

#8 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

There is a lot of jitter on the yellow highlights when I select a part.

#9 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

same Here.

Radeon 7870 OC, Newest Driver, before the patch everything was fine.
It occurs only in Mechlab though.

#10 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

I have also noticed this for the new patch, was 60 FPS before in the mech bay but is now capped at 30

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 17 December 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#11 MountainCopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationUU, Ankh-Morpork

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 17 December 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Yes, I don't think they did it on purpose though.

View PostDavidHurricane, on 17 December 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

There is a lot of jitter on the yellow highlights when I select a part.

Yes, something is not right here...
Another post mentioned flickering as well. I only noticed that before when the Mechlab/the game wasn't the active window in the OS. Once you reentered the Mechlab, the flickering of components stopped...

Edited by GoldenFleece, 17 December 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#12 Kamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Yep, the mech lab fps is half or 2/3 of what it used to be.

#13 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Got it as well, so do all my squaddies (8 guys). Variety of GPUs, myself I'm on a GTX 660, squaddie of mine is on a R9 290X.

S.

#14 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

S!

AMD 290X and 30fps in Mech lab. Running a 120Hz monitor so can see the difference.

#15 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm guessing this was intentional; here's why:

In the past, if you opened up the mech lab and went to the camo spec and rotated your mech around, there would be an incredibly ugly ghostly image caused the the motion blur that cannot be disabled in this game. If you open up the camo spec and do the same thing now, the effect is gone, even though the whole thing is choppy.

Essentially it's working to synchronize the game's framerate to what it can handle for displaying without the motion blur, it seems. Unfortunately, this means that the entire front end is now a choppy, laggy piece of junk for the sake of fixing one small bug.

View PostPhromethius, on 17 December 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Add a wee bit of motion blur. 30-60 frames is pretty much the normal rate that the eye can handle properly anyway. Anything higher than that is just hardware bragging rights. Also Higher rates does not equal smoother picture either. Micro stutters from the progressive frame rate are noticable by the eye. Motion blur helps this out.

just a side note too, this is why the Film industry adopted 24 fps as a standard. The only times this has been increased is recently on the Hobbit filmed at 48fps and apparently the Avatar sequels will be as well.

That is also why 120Mhz TV settings sometimes look "too real" because it is refreshing faster than the eye normally sees so it seems like real life.

Human vision can definitely process scenes at over 60fps. There is a reason that 60hz CRT monitors and low-frequency ballast in fluorescent tubes causes headaches and eye strain in most people, and that is because even if you do not consciously perceive the low frame/refresh rate, your brain does. Ask any competitive FPS player, there is a HUGE difference between 30 and 60, and a big difference between 60 and 100.

Motion blur is also only useful in regards to film, and then only because we're used to it. It implies motion that would otherwise be visible. In a game rendering engine like this though, the effect is very visible and very ugly. For screenshots of what it looks like, check out this thread. The stuttering/ghosting effect you can see is the motion blur that cannot be disabled, and while it doesn't look terrible if your framerate is both high and steady, any time you drop frames you should start to notice the weird ghostly silhouette around mechs if you look carefully. Oh, and the listed solution of turning off postprocess and motion blur no longer works. It is always on now, no matter what.

Edited by aniviron, 17 December 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#16 amenophis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

I have the same thing. Frame rate went from 60+ down to 30 in the mech lab screens.

After seeing more recent posts on this I think 30fps is just fine. I have not seen any problems at this rate I just thought there was some sort of a problem because I did not see it mentioned in the path notes.

Edited by amenophis, 25 December 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#17 Dimzi

• Pip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Same thing here. GTX570. Frame rate drop to 30fps in mech lab. Noticeable difference.

Off topic: music, what?

#18 Brian Windover

Lead Programmer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Our old system was enabling vsync in the front end this is why a lot of users were seeing 60 FPS, the reason we did this was to prevent huge frame rates which could cause your video card to overheat and die . Enabling the vsync was the incorrect way of doing this so we made a change to cap the FPS in the front end. Right now we cap the FPS to 30 when you are in the front end, however seeing as people are seeing some issues we will increase the FPS to 60 the next patch.

Capping the FPS in the front end will not affect the FPS in game.

#19 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

/facepalm

View PostBrian Windover, on 17 December 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Our old system was enabling vsync in the front end this is why a lot of users were seeing 60 FPS, the reason we did this was to prevent huge frame rates which could cause your video card to overheat and die . Enabling the vsync was the incorrect way of doing this so we made a change to cap the FPS in the front end. Right now we cap the FPS to 30 when you are in the front end, however seeing as people are seeing some issues we will increase the FPS to 60 the next patch.

Capping the FPS in the front end will not affect the FPS in game.

#20 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

I would like to have a Setup Option for that.
At 60 fps my GPU runs hot and i am very happy with 30 fps!

Pretty Pls :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users