How Do I Get The Extra Buttons On My Mouse To Work?

16 replies to this topic

#1 and zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

How do I get the extra buttons on my mouse to work?

In many other games, I simply bind the extra button to the numpad and then bind that number in game. However, no matter what I do, MWO will not recognize that button at all :lol:

Help?

#2 Slab Squathrust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA or Billings, MT

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

On my mouse, I have to go into the driver program to get my extra buttons beyond left, right, scroll, internet forward, and internet back to work with the game. These work with the game by default. Internet forward and back correspond to weapon groups 3 and 4. I set the extra buttons to a custom key on the keyboard, such as 5 and 6, so that I can use all groups. However you could do something like home, for calling in airstrikes or whatever is default for coolant flush.

#3 madcatmike

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:41 AM

The numpad doesn't do anything in MWO (that I've noticed). Try binding to the number row above the letters.
I might be off base with this assumption but there you go.

View Postand zero, on 18 December 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

In many other games, I simply bind the extra button to the numpad and then bind that number in game. However, no matter what I do, MWO will not recognize that button at all :D

Help?

thanks ;)

#4 Tvrdoglavi

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

My WoW mouse has the same problem. Reinstalling the drivers makes it work for one session of pay and then it stops working again. It's very frustrating. I just had to give up on it. I never had such issues in any other game. It must be some sort of a bug in MWO that is causing it.

#5 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

Find the software for your mouse and use that to bind the mouse buttons to what's programmed in the game.

#6 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

In many other games, I simply bind the extra button to the numpad and then bind that number in game. However, no matter what I do, MWO will not recognize that button at all :P

Help?

thanks ;)

What make is it? If it is a logitech, you need to set the button to "Generic Button" for the game to recognize it.
Failing that, as previously mentioned, map the mouse to the game, not the game to the mouse.

#7 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Or you could simply go to rebind the buttons in the MwO menu. If the button has ANY kind of assignment, it'll show up. If it doesn't, it should stay "unbound"

If it's unbound, go into your mouse software and make the button bound to something, and then rinse and repeat.

#8 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

for logitech, or any upscale mouse you can use thier software. What i have done so i can use it for any game is set the buttons to keyboard keys like n,o,f1,h etc

then when you go into keybindings you can click on the rebind option and when you click the mouse button you want it will assign the letter,number, keystroke etc that you selected in the logitech/razer software.

#9 Aluminumfoiled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationErehwon

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostevilC, on 18 December 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

What make is it? If it is a logitech, you need to set the button to "Generic Button" for the game to recognize it.
Failing that, as previously mentioned, map the mouse to the game, not the game to the mouse.

Thanks for this. A simple fix I missed. I bought a "M"500 Logitech under an 8 min buy to recieve before the weekend shipping deadline. Thought it was the G. Tried apparently everything but this. Saved me from buying a new mouse. +1 to you. Will buy a nicer G version eventually at my leisure due to the cheaper cord.

Edited by MicroVent, 18 December 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#10 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

In many other games, I simply bind the extra button to the numpad and then bind that number in game. However, no matter what I do, MWO will not recognize that button at all :P

Help?

thanks ;)

I had/have a problem with bindings not working in game. What I discovered was I have to go to task manager and shut down the iType and iPoint executables. (I think that's what they are called)

Could be a windows/Microsoft thing.

Just an idea, good luck.

#11 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostMicroVent, on 18 December 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

Thanks for this. A simple fix I missed. I bought a "M"500 Logitech under an 8 min buy to recieve before the weekend shipping deadline. Thought it was the G. Tried apparently everything but this. Saved me from buying a new mouse. +1 to you. Will buy a nicer G version eventually at my leisure due to the cheaper cord.

I recommend the G700s for MWO. Or, if you can pick up a cheap G700, do so and call logitech, tell them the G10 button is sticky and the battery life drains, they will replace it with a new G700s.

#12 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 18 December 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

I had/have a problem with bindings not working in game. What I discovered was I have to go to task manager and shut down the iType and iPoint executables. (I think that's what they are called)

Could be a windows/Microsoft thing.

Just an idea, good luck.

If you are talking about iPoint, that is probably intelliPoint, and you have a miscrosoft mouse.
Or you have a generic mouse, and installed the microsoft intellipoint mouse management software (or it came installed on your pc).

If it has an option to configure the mouse, there should be a similar setting to logitech's "generic button" setting, I remember using one when I used intellipoint years ago.

Another alternative is to install a 3rd party mouse driver such as XMouse. I would say xmouse is better than intellipoint, and even has some benefits over the logitech drivers (more so setpoint than the g-series stuff)

However, even the logitech g-series app does not let you bind stuff to wheel up and wheel down, which xmouse does.
So with MWO in it's current state (ie no way to bind stuff to mouse wheel), xmouse is probably the best driver to use for a generic or non gaming type mouse.

Edited by evilC, 18 December 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#13 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostevilC, on 18 December 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

If you are talking about iPoint, that is probably intelliPoint, and you have a miscrosoft mouse.
Or you have a generic mouse, and installed the microsoft intellipoint mouse management software (or it came installed on your pc).

If it has an option to configure the mouse, there should be a similar setting to logitech's "generic button" setting, I remember using one when I used intellipoint years ago.

Another alternative is to install a 3rd party mouse driver such as XMouse. I would say xmouse is better than intellipoint, and even has some benefits over the logitech drivers (more so setpoint than the g-series stuff)

However, even the logitech g-series app does not let you bind stuff to wheel up and wheel down, which xmouse does.
So with MWO in it's current state (ie no way to bind stuff to mouse wheel), xmouse is probably the best driver to use for a generic or non gaming type mouse.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I think the Microsoft apps were automatic, as I have a Microsoft mouse....

It is old, and may be time for a better one.

#14 and zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for replying guys. As I said initially, no matter what I bound the extra buttons to in the software MWO would not even register a key press when I tried to rebind. This method works perfectly in every other game though.

I have the corsair M95.

I did not think of this at first, as I never have to do this for other games, but I tried enabling hardware playback (all the functions are taken from the mouse on board memory as opposed to the software) and that fixed it. So I guess MWO is blocking the software somehow? :( A little inconvenient, but not too bad.

edit: sorry I forgot to make clear initially that I was using the mouse driver software to bind the keys.

Edited by and zero, 19 December 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#15 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

View Postmadcatmike, on 18 December 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

The numpad doesn't do anything in MWO (that I've noticed). Try binding to the number row above the letters.
I might be off base with this assumption but there you go.

Umm the numberpad is for your speed setting.

#16 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:04 AM

View Postand zero, on 19 December 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

Thanks for replying guys. As I said initially, no matter what I bound the extra buttons to in the software MWO would not even register a key press when I tried to rebind. This method works perfectly in every other game though.

I have the corsair M95.

I did not think of this at first, as I never have to do this for other games, but I tried enabling hardware playback (all the functions are taken from the mouse on board memory as opposed to the software) and that fixed it. So I guess MWO is blocking the software somehow? -_- A little inconvenient, but not too bad.

edit: sorry I forgot to make clear initially that I was using the mouse driver software to bind the keys.

What is more likely is that the mouse software is translating the BUTTON4 and BUTTON5 signals into BROWSER_FORWARD and BROWSER_BACK in an attempt to be "helpful".

MWO does not recognize BROWSER_FORWARD and BROWSER_BACK properly - it will recognize one in 3 or 4 clicks or something silly like that.

If running any kind of mouse software, you need to ensure that it is set to send plain old BUTTON4 or BUTTON5 and not the BROWSER BACK/FORWARD "virtual keys".

Furthermore, if you have a mouse that supports per-application settings, it is always good practice to leave the game mappings as default where possible, and map the mouse to the game - not the game to the mouse.

That way, if you have to reinstall, or lose your game settings, the controls will still work.

Edited by evilC, 03 November 2014 - 04:06 AM.

#17 KodeRed

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

If you have a logitech and use setpoint just change to other under tasks and then generic button.
Works great. Took me about an hour to figure that out....!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users