Black Screen

28 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Gorbash

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

In the last week (before the latest round of patches) I have suddenly started to get a black screen every time I try to load a map both in groups and out of groups.

I get the map loading screen then everything goes black and I never get into the game and players just see an empty slot that I should be taking up. My mech's are locked in these games for up to 15min at a time.

At this point the only thing I can load is the training grounds. Running the repair tool works for one game... uninstalling the client and reinstalling works for one game!!!! I have premium time wasting and apparently my problem has been passed to the dev's but there is no sight of a solution!

I more than a bit annoyed at being effectively locked out of a game that I enjoy playing while premium time that I have paid for is being wasted.

#2 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Checked your Omicron file for Errors listed in it?
If it were me, I would package the following into a ZIP file and send it in to Support:

From \MechWarrior Online folder:
Omicron.txt
OmicronOnline.txt

From \MechWarrior Online\USER folder:
crashdump.dmp

From where ever you have it, if not, use the DxDiag tool to make one:
DxDiag.txt

I usually name the ZIP file by whatever the problem was and date such as 'Crash 12-16-2013.zip'.

This is what I have been told to send for serious problems like black screens, crashes, screen freezes, etc. Supposedly data in these files assists in determining cause. Email it to the Support email.

#3 Lord Gorbash

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:39 AM

I might have got somewhere with this. I have changed the DNS servers that I use at the router level and since then I have been able to play 3 games without a blackscreen issue. I dont know if this will continue or not but lets hope it does.

I am now using the Google dns servers on the addresses. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

#4 BUMMBUMM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 254 posts
  • LocationHannover

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

same error here, maploading screen then black screen forever with no sounds or cpu or hdd usage of the game. and with client restart as only solution. mech is locked up for 15 min no matter what match duration was, doesnt show up in the match.
btw this error is kinda random, so it doesnt mean anything if u can play one or five games until the error occurs. sometimes it even happens up to 3 times consecutively.
The only workaround i found for this specific black screen was the directX changes described in this thread:
Fps Fix For Old Computers And/or Dual Core Machines

since i used it, i didnt have that error again (something like 500 drops in the last 3 weeks)

buuuut after the recent patch on tuesday the error is back even when using dx11.
really really annoying, only things ive found out so far that change anything about the frequency of the occurence is:
1. freeing up memory (eg reboot no other programs running, killing everything non essential) makes the error happen more often
2. changing something in the mechlab makes it happen more often, its 95% likely u have to wait 15 or even 30 minutes to test a new setup... might be subjective

#5 OffshoreSHO

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Same problem but i can't find a workaround except reinstall the game and have the problem continued again.

I've sent the Omicron, DxDiag & Crashdump to support already and i hope this can be fix soon.

#6 OffshoreSHO

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

They ask for other few things from me. And its been quite while they have not replied me.

Looks like my money is wasted if they don't fix it. 28 Days of premium time down the drain.

#7 Gruinhardt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostOffshoreSHO, on 28 December 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

They ask for other few things from me. And its been quite while they have not replied me.

Looks like my money is wasted if they don't fix it. 28 Days of premium time down the drain.

I have the black screen issue as well. Support wasn't helpful. I have been able to play a few games. I downloaded Razor Game Booster, and disable my firewall. Some nights I can play without problem, other nights 2-3 games and then blackscreen.

#8 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostLord Gorbash, on 20 December 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

I might have got somewhere with this.  I have changed the DNS servers that I use at the router level and since then I have been able to play 3 games without a blackscreen issue.  I dont know if this will continue or not but lets hope it does.

I am now using the Google dns servers on the addresses.  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
sweet deal dude. I was gonna suggest check your connections.    I was just thinking of doing this myself and and just suggested others do it  in the high ping thread.   Then i just now read your post which means there is hope ^_^   don't know for sure if it will help my situation. But nice job!

Edited by RichAC, 29 December 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#9 thejadefalcon

Turkina's Trueborn

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Got this myself, but it started *after* the last patch. Nothing about the game or my PC has changed since then.

Edited by thejadefalcon, 03 January 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#10 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:06 AM

View Postthejadefalcon, on 03 January 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

Got this myself, but it started *after* the last patch. Nothing about the game or my PC has changed since then.

Probably still means your connection or PGI's host server not being able to handle the load. Many people have been having connection troubles since december, which is worse for europeans, and which got only worse after new years for me. Hoping it gets resolved.

Edited by RichAC, 04 January 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#11 somenothing

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostLord Gorbash, on 20 December 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

I might have got somewhere with this. I have changed the DNS servers that I use at the router level and since then I have been able to play 3 games without a blackscreen issue. I dont know if this will continue or not but lets hope it does.

I am now using the Google dns servers on the addresses. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I haven't gotten to try yet, but I suspect the settings are quite diffrent depending on your modem/router... Is there an official guideline on the ports or servers you should set up for your network for best performance?

I've been getting my 4-5 favourite mechs locked up from black screens upon dropping launches, sometimes for an hour straight, and sometimes I could be fine playing for 2-3 hours at a time. Frustrating...

#12 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:35 AM

I just experienced a black screen when exiting out of a match when it finished.. alt tab didn't work, but luckily ctrl alt delete, bought me back to client, although my desktop was the same resolution as the game, until i launched the next game and exited with no problems.

What was curious was that two matches prior to that, the same exact thing happened to a player in my lance, but i think he just crashed out.

I believe it was due to our connections, he was on wirless and spiking tremendously all over the place. And i was having issues myself 100-150 ping spikes, which is becoming normal nowadays, as opposed to 20 ping which was normal for me in october and november. When i never had issues except for one friday when they reset the server...

Edited by RichAC, 06 January 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#13 Shadow Light

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationKL Malaysia

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Exactly the same scenario with Lord Gorbash :) - No end in sight and I'm in Asia

#14 OffshoreSHO

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hey guys there is a workaround however it isn't a premanent fix. you got to do it everytime you get blackscreen.

Its either restart your computer or do the following. (PS: This is a workaround given to me by MWO support. They are working on solution.)

1. Open a command prompt as Admin and type the following

2. netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces (This will return the active interfaces on you machine.)

You said that you are using ethernet so you will most likely be looking for "Local Area Connection" in the returned results. I will assume that the value on the left under "MTU" will be 1500. Next we will try pinging MWO servers with a specified MTU and see if we get any fragmented packets.

3. ping 70.42.29.65 -f -l 1500

This will most likely return "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set". Now for the fun part, we want to work our way down from here to find the lowest MTU that does not return the packet needs to be fragmented error. Start at 1472 (just a safe guess) and work your way up by 10 at a time until you get the error again.

4. ping 70.42.29.65 -f -l 1472

If 1472 return all messages saying "Reply from 70.42.29.65: ...* then we want to go up to 1482. If that returns no error then 1492. Eventually you will get the errors again. at this point decrease the MTU by 1 at a time so 1492 becomes 1491 etc. This will eventually find the sweet spot we want to stick with.

5. netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1452 store=persistent

So i hope it helps you as well.

#15 PerseusLite

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostOffshoreSHO, on 11 February 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Hey guys there is a workaround however it isn't a premanent fix. you got to do it everytime you get blackscreen.

Its either restart your computer or do the following. (PS: This is a workaround given to me by MWO support. They are working on solution.)

2. netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces (This will return the active interfaces on you machine.)

You said that you are using ethernet so you will most likely be looking for "Local Area Connection" in the returned results. I will assume that the value on the left under "MTU" will be 1500. Next we will try pinging MWO servers with a specified MTU and see if we get any fragmented packets.

This will most likely return "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set". Now for the fun part, we want to work our way down from here to find the lowest MTU that does not return the packet needs to be fragmented error. Start at 1472 (just a safe guess) and work your way up by 10 at a time until you get the error again.

If 1472 return all messages saying "Reply from 70.42.29.65: ...* then we want to go up to 1482. If that returns no error then 1492. Eventually you will get the errors again. at this point decrease the MTU by 1 at a time so 1492 becomes 1491 etc. This will eventually find the sweet spot we want to stick with.

5. netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1452 store=persistent

Is this working for you Offshore? Not having any success with it here.

#16 PerseusLite

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

I didn't spot this earlier, but this is missing a vital detail. You need to add 28 to the 'sweet spot' value you find and set that using net shell command as above. Therefore you need to start pings lower than 1472 - try 1464.

#17 Spymonkey

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

Recently I am stuck with this "black screen during loading" thing. I tried this workaround, but being unsuccessful.

Things that I have done:

- Read threads on black screen, found nothing helpful
- Reboot, still nothing
- Done the quoted solution above, still nothing (everytime I reduce the mtu, it keeps getting error on the new mtu settings)
- Run repair tool, fixed some errors, rebooted, still the same.
- Set video to lowest setting, nothing

So anyone can help? I still missing one step that is flipping my table.

Thanks.

edit: I'm missing that free mech event because of this. Really regretting buying founders pack.

Edited by Spymonkey, 25 February 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#18 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostSpymonkey, on 25 February 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

Recently I am stuck with this "black screen during loading" thing. I tried this workaround, but being unsuccessful.

Things that I have done:

- Read threads on black screen, found nothing helpful
- Reboot, still nothing
- Done the quoted solution above, still nothing (everytime I reduce the mtu, it keeps getting error on the new mtu settings)
- Run repair tool, fixed some errors, rebooted, still the same.
- Set video to lowest setting, nothing

So anyone can help? I still missing one step that is flipping my table.

Thanks.

edit: I'm missing that free mech event because of this. Really regretting buying founders pack.

whats your pc specs?

I have amd phenom II 820 2.8ghz (clocks the same on a passmark benchmark as the athlon they recommend)

so ya low settings. but i have only got the blackscreen once ever, where i coudln't alt tab or ctrl atl del out of it, that was just trying to load into the mechlab. Right after the first logo splash screen, boom black screen i have to end process lol

But a repair fixed that for me. What you are talking about is in game, I have gotten that also only once ever when exiting an online match which I had to ctrl alt delete, and it changed the display of my windows desktop for a little bit until i started the next match lol Which i chalk up to a connection issue. Ip address problem... And once again, it also supposedly happened to someone i was groupted with on TS and in game for a 4 mand, the match prior. Then it happened to me the next match.

Now I still get the screen freeze every now and then, where its still going in the background, but the screen just freezes, this has happened to me in bf3 also....... where i have to wait a sec then quickly alt tab in and out from desktop, and then its fine and extremely rare , but very annoying. I don't know why this happens, this might be the same issue, connection problem also, or maybe it feels like a problem with map code. Seems to happen i think in certain situations at certains specific spots of map, cause its happened to a couple people on a map at the same time in the same spot who I was playing on TS with supposedly.

I've changed video cards, so I doubt thats it if you have a spare card worth a test, a badbios issue who knows. assuming your gpu use/fan speed over time and temps seem ok.

But i'm knocking on wood...

did you try running repair tool in windows safe mode? Did you try to use the guru 3d driver sweeper? Do a system restore to the previous windows update........then http://www.guru3d.co...er_sweeper.html Run it in safe mode, then boot back into windows normally and download a graphics driver, thats like two releases prior. update windows. reboot.

Change your video settings, to force singleplayer displaymode and threaded optimizations to on.
Turn vsync on in the game. update windows. run repair tool again. disable as many windows services as you possibly can. refer to blackviper.com or http://www.overclock..._services/2.htm, overclockers clubs are a dying breed .....the services are the same. Make sure to disable SSDP and UPNP in windows 7 also.

turn off all GPU power settings in control panel for windows advanced power options. reboot pc go into bios turn off any wake on lan power/usb power settings you don't need. make restore point.

Edited by RichAC, 25 February 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#19 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

are you running full screen or full windowed, do you have v-sync on or off?

View PostWolger, on 25 February 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

I spent the whole night to troubleshoot this and it's now 4.am my time.

Bought Boar's Head on sale and decided to replay the game and to my dismay it was unplayable as It would crash to desktop when I clicked the social button, when I was in my mechlab and after a match ends. The game would remain in black screen before a match starts and I had to force close it.

Reinstalled twice - it just didn;t work.

The solution is set to "FULL WINDOW" in the VIDEO SETTINGS AND turn off the V-Sync. Now no more crash and black screen

- using latest Nvidia driver.

CTD not CTF.

#20 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostShamous13, on 25 February 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

are you running full screen or full windowed, do you have v-sync on or off?

ya try this first ^ lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users