Golem Arcana Is Seriously Gonna Rock

5 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

They released the rules for the game and some new art, it's gonna be so awesome :P

I'm surprised that people around here didn't talk about this, it's really a spiritual successor to Battletech.

Edited by Sybreed, 20 December 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#2 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

I've never heard of Golem Arcana. What's it like?

#3 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostLivaria, on 21 December 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

I've never heard of Golem Arcana. What's it like?

http://golemarcana.com/

Made by Jordan Weisman, Golem Arcana is a board game similar to Battletech, as in you have "Golem Knights" piloting "Golems" that are classified in 4 sizes: War Sprites (lights), Ogres (Mediums), Titans (Heavies, Colossus (assault). The big difference between Golem Arcana and other table top games like Battletech or Warhammer is that they fitted the entire rules and whatnot inside a phone or ipad app, which means you don't have to know all the rules by heart and weird scenarios will never be left to interpretation as the game app will do it for you.

They give you a bluetooth stylus that you can use to move call your moves and attacks around and app calculates your odds and whatnot. It can even roll dices for you if you want (would have been useful for lrms in BT huh?). And Jordan actually took some lessons from BT to improve the gameplay of Golem Arcana. For example, lights have higher dodge values and get better cover values from obstacle vs ogre, titans and collossi, which means they aren't the cannon fodder they used to be in BT.

All in all, I can't wait to get it next summer. The miniatures look amazing, the stylus and app is a great idea and it's probably a game we'll talk about in 15-20 years just like BT.

#4 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:31 AM

(Sorry to necro thread)
I just came across it today. Looks great, and really does seem the spiritual successor to Battletech, especially with the focus on the evolving lore.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:54 AM

View PostSybreed, on 21 December 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

http://golemarcana.com/

Made by Jordan Weisman, Golem Arcana is a board game similar to Battletech, as in you have "Golem Knights" piloting "Golems" that are classified in 4 sizes: War Sprites (lights), Ogres (Mediums), Titans (Heavies, Colossus (assault). The big difference between Golem Arcana and other table top games like Battletech or Warhammer is that they fitted the entire rules and whatnot inside a phone or ipad app, which means you don't have to know all the rules by heart and weird scenarios will never be left to interpretation as the game app will do it for you.

They give you a bluetooth stylus that you can use to move call your moves and attacks around and app calculates your odds and whatnot. It can even roll dices for you if you want (would have been useful for lrms in BT huh?). And Jordan actually took some lessons from BT to improve the gameplay of Golem Arcana. For example, lights have higher dodge values and get better cover values from obstacle vs ogre, titans and collossi, which means they aren't the cannon fodder they used to be in BT.

All in all, I can't wait to get it next summer. The miniatures look amazing, the stylus and app is a great idea and it's probably a game we'll talk about in 15-20 years just like BT.

sounds great, playing Bloodbowl on PC is a greta, while on table is takign ages and all the stuff of the situation and abilities of the palyer you need to remember, thats getting real difficult on a boardgame at all. But on PC; a laod of fun in a short period of time.

#6 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

well, that's the real joy of the App... it takes care of applying all the rules for you and it will tell you if you can use an ability or not. I got the game a few months ago, unfortunately couldn't play many matches because work and the app back then had issues with the ipad mini. But, wave 2 is coming with the second colossus and it'll put the game at a higher level.

I'd say setting the game takes about 10 minutes MAX. You just need to place the boards like the app tells you to and you customize your army as needed. Then you're good to go! My biggest gripe was the app. crashes, but they resolved these issues with patches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users