New Gaming Rig?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Tlee3205

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hey guys! I got this game the other day, but my computer seems to be running an integrated gpu. This only strengthened my resolve to finally buy that great gaming rig I have been wanting. My budget is 500 dollars (USD) and I will go over if I need to to get a nice build. I have seen a few nice builds including this one by Austin Evans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFJ-sGb54ck But it is a year old and I am sure that someone will find something wrong with it. For example the $65 motherboard is almost $170. So, I was wondering if you guys could help me out or at least point me in the general direction of the proper forums to visit. I would be doing mainly gaming on it. Mechwarrior, Hawken, Star Citizen hopefully (I don't mind turning down the settings to play that one) Minecraft ect. I don't include OS, Moniter, Keyboard, or Mouse in the cost so please don't factor those in. Thanks!

Edited by Lt Redace, 28 December 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

http://www.tomshardw...i5,3708-19.html is always a good place to start.

#3 N0V0CAIN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

www.pcpartpicker.com

#4 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:35 AM

this is about as inexpensive as it gets without using used hardware while still being able to play MW:O on high settings at 1080p http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2odAK

#5 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

Barbaric's got a great machine, but I'm going to guess it's over-budget. A decent general gaming machine can be built on a lower budget, but doing so requires toning back on parts like the CPU, which is usually secondary. The problem is then that MWO is HUGELY CPU-intensive, so budget gaming rigs handle it okay, but not great.

For something that's a little more within your budget, will run most games just as well as the above build, but will struggle a little more with MWO, you can do this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2s7nR (same build mostly, but got a cheaper PSU, changed out the GPU to something with a year more warranty [and I've had bad luck with HIS], and chagned out the CPU/Mobo)

The FX6350 doesn't charge along at 60fps in MWO, but it'll certainly keep the game reasonably smooth even at stock clocks, and between keeping Barbaric's cooler, which is a great budget cooler, and the 600W PSU, you should be able to OC that chip to give pretty darn good performance in MWO. As I said most other games will run on that machine as well as on Barbaric's, save maybe one or two oddball strategy titles here or there that might run a hair less well. If $637 is still just too much, you can drop the aftermarket cooler and drop down to a 4GB RAM kit. There will be consequences there (one of which will be needing 8GB of RAM when Star Citizen gets further along, for now the Hangar Module runs on 4), but changing those two things would drop a further $60 or so, and $577 is definitely close to your budget.

Also, as a final note, if you do have the $800+ to spend, I would still just get Barbaric's build. This is an alternative in the event you do not, since he did up your budget by over 60%.

Edited by Catamount, 29 December 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#6 Tlee3205

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostCatamount, on 29 December 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

Barbaric's got a great machine, but I'm going to guess it's over-budget. A decent general gaming machine can be built on a lower budget, but doing so requires toning back on parts like the CPU, which is usually secondary. The problem is then that MWO is HUGELY CPU-intensive, so budget gaming rigs handle it okay, but not great.

For something that's a little more within your budget, will run most games just as well as the above build, but will struggle a little more with MWO, you can do this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2s7nR (same build mostly, but got a cheaper PSU, changed out the GPU to something with a year more warranty [and I've had bad luck with HIS], and chagned out the CPU/Mobo)

The FX6350 doesn't charge along at 60fps in MWO, but it'll certainly keep the game reasonably smooth even at stock clocks, and between keeping Barbaric's cooler, which is a great budget cooler, and the 600W PSU, you should be able to OC that chip to give pretty darn good performance in MWO. As I said most other games will run on that machine as well as on Barbaric's, save maybe one or two oddball strategy titles here or there that might run a hair less well. If $637 is still just too much, you can drop the aftermarket cooler and drop down to a 4GB RAM kit. There will be consequences there (one of which will be needing 8GB of RAM when Star Citizen gets further along, for now the Hangar Module runs on 4), but changing those two things would drop a further $60 or so, and $577 is definitely close to your budget.

Also, as a final note, if you do have the $800+ to spend, I would still just get Barbaric's build. This is an alternative in the event you do not, since he did up your budget by over 60%.

Thanks! This really looks nice. Perfect budget too. Do you have any idea what sort of fps this would get? Or the difference between this and the overbudget one? On a side note, I actually do need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse ect. any difference as to what I get? Does it matter?

Edited by Lt Redace, 29 December 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#7 Bashiba

• Pip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Also if you live near a microcenter check it out. They have some crazy good CPU motherboard combo deals. Much better than newegg or tigerdirect, if its within driving distance that is.

#8 Tlee3205

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

Ok

#9 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks! This really looks nice. Perfect budget too. Do you have any idea what sort of fps this would get? Or the difference between this and the overbudget one? On a side note, I actually do need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse ect. any difference as to what I get? Does it matter?

That machine should average between 50-60 fps, but will drop to the 30 fps range during heavy fighting. MW:0 really loves 4 ghz or higher clocked Intel CPUs.

As for monitors, I like Samsung, Dell, and HP. If I was to buy a inexpensive monitor, this would probably be my pick- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824260130

When it comes to keyboards, don't get ripped off. You don't need a fancy > $50 keyboard. A good basic mechanical keyboard should last a very long time. Personally, I've been using one of these for about 6-7 years- http://www.ebay.com/...5398780?lpid=82

When it comes to the mouse though, get something with high quality and is a good fit for your hand's size. Personally, I use a Logitech G500.

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 29 December 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#10 Tlee3205

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

To explain my not being able to play, I am running on an old dell. Nobody ever uses it so I might be able to get the keyboard that I really like from it, I will shop around for a mouse. The monitor looks nice too. Don't expect me to give feedback on the build too soon. I don't expect to have enough money for a while XD. It sounds nice though I think I will build that one.

#11 Thaygood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 172 posts
  • LocationThe QC

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Would getting one of the "Intel i7" CUPs run well on MWO?

#12 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

^_^ While CryEngine can talk to six separate threads, what tends to happen is you get stuck with this one core that's pegged. While there's some relief to be had with tweaks ("sys_budget_soundCPU = 5" or less), over and over again we see there's this critical mass of MHz and Instructions Per Clock efficiency needed, one which no stock CPU on the planet has.

Having more then four cores seems secondary to this … ;)

Read up on overclocking, then pick your CPU. :D

#13 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

I second the G500 for mice. It's good and not overly expensive. And yeah, nothing will run Cryengine in DX9 CPU-side without overclocking. Still, MWO is just one title, so while I would get a good i5 if it's affordable, if it's just not affordable the FX6350 will be a fine overall chip. Like Barbaric said, it'll get maybe 50s, but dip into the 30s (probably low 30s), as opposed to an i5 that will maybe get 70-80 but dip into the high 40s or low 50s at stock clocks, based on my experience.

With some moderate OCing, I'm guessing a 6350 could get to the point of maybe dipping into the low-mid 40s in MWO, which is more than good enough for this game. MWO isn't really a "twitch" shooter that needs 60fps all the time, even if it is nice.

Edited by Catamount, 29 December 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#14 Tlee3205

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

Overclocking seems like a risk I don't want to take with my first build, at least not right away. So something that would run with stock speeds would be great. But I am kinda confused now. Is that cpu not good? If I need to go above 500 I can, it will just take longer until I get it. So ,what would be considered a good i5 build?

Edited by Lt Redace, 30 December 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#15 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:17 AM

The FX6350 is a fine CPU. It's just that MWO requires an insane CPU.

In fact, MWO requires a CPU that technically doesn't exist. Even getting an expensive i5 or i7 will not net you 60fps consistently without overclocking. I have a 3570k, very similar to what's in Barbaric's build, and I had to OC it from 3.6 (highest all-core turbo) to 4.2 to get MWO to not drop below 60, and now it still does with 12 mans, if not by much.

So ,what would be considered a good i5 build?

Barbaric's $820 build. If you want an i5, that's just what you're in for, pricewise. That's why I proposed the FX build as an alternative.

Edited by Catamount, 30 December 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#16 Tlee3205

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

Ok, well you said that the FX would average almost 60, 30 in firefights right? So what would the I5 get me?

#17 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Ok, well you said that the FX would average almost 60, 30 in firefights right? So what would the I5 get me?

Catamount already answered that.

I have a 3570k, very similar to what's in Barbaric's build, and I had to OC it from 3.6 (highest all-core turbo) to 4.2 to get MWO to not drop below 60, and now it still does with 12 mans, if not by much.

I have an i7 2600k that is OC'ed to 4.5ghz with a GTX 780ti SC and I don't dip below 60 fps at 1600p. Here's is my main system- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2odVJ

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 30 December 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#18 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

The FX8350 (no OC) + R9 280X give me 40 to 60 FPS (Vsync On) on Very High at 1920x1200 Settings.
Without Vsync the range goes from 40 to 95 FPS - in some rare cases wih extreme Screenaction the FPS may go down to 35.
I am very happy with that.

Edited by Thorqemada, 30 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#19 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

The 8350 is clocked only a little higher than the 6350 (I'm guessing it'll go to maybe 4.1 on all cores with Turbo), so that confirms that 30s is about as bad as the 6350 should get. Thanks, Thorqemada.

#20 Max Johnson

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 30 December 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

The FX8350 (no OC) + R9 280X give me 40 to 60 FPS (Vsync On) on Very High at 1920x1200 Settings.
Without Vsync the range goes from 40 to 95 FPS - in some rare cases wih extreme Screenaction the FPS may go down to 35.
I am very happy with that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2t4tL

This is my secondary (Back-up PC) other then I'm running a SSD and like Thorqemada it runs MWO at 1920X1200 with full settings (MB High, SS Very High, Damage Glow, Vsync On) it will start out at 60 FPS and settle around 52 FPS, with dips into the mid 40s. Its within 5 fps of my i7 3770k with the same video card.

Edited by Max Johnson, 30 December 2013 - 08:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users