because i can

#2 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

Depends on your region. I'm assuming your in PST, because you're about 3 hours late for the party (I'm in Toronto).

#3 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

I didn't mention a time, I just said I was first, there wasn't any other posts in the FRR thread as of this year... so there for I was first. Time or not.

#4 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:52 AM

View PostLevon K, on 01 January 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Depends on your region. I'm assuming your in PST, because you're about 3 hours late for the party (I'm in Toronto).

View Postfluffypinkbunny, on 01 January 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:

I didn't mention a time, I just said I was first, there wasn't any other posts in the FRR thread as of this year... so there for I was first. Time or not.

She got you beat dude.

#5 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

First prediction of the new year: 2014 will make or break MWO, depending on how many of the promised core components are released. I went for the easy one, eh?

#6 ECDMuppet

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostSarsaparilla Kid, on 01 January 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

First prediction of the new year: 2014 will make or break MWO, depending on how many of the promised core components are released. I went for the easy one, eh?

Definitely. Without the core features that were promised, there is no way the game will retain long-time fans of Mechwarrior and Battletech. Without a really interesting community warfare component, this is just a really slowed-down version of Battlefield without the range of vehicles to drive.

It remains to be seen whether the game can be developed in a way that satisfies the core BT player base, while growing that base by attracting new players. If it can be done, then how? If it can't, then which group will be more profitable to cater to?

But it is a definite that 2014 will make or break this game.

I'm leaning towards "make" myself. Piranha had never taken on a title like this before, so they screwed things up by the numbers early on. The early code wasn't ready for the features the player base wanted, and they didn't communicate well with the player base to smooth things over.

It seems to me like they have come a long way in the communication department, and that they have at least made the tough choices when it comes to reworking the code base enough to make new features easier to implement. I personally think that if the reality on the ground reflects what has been communicated to us, MWO has a good chance of being the game everyone wanted.

#7 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

It is a white knight new year's day!

#8 Mordale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,008 posts
  • Locationon some backwater rock of a planet

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Happy New Year!
[image redacted]

Edited by miSs, 01 January 2014 - 03:32 PM.
off topic

#9 SpartanOfValor

• PipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThe 7th Seals mechbay

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

lol

#10 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

I'd have to agree, ECDMuppet. I have high hopes that they will make it rather than completely bomb. I'm assuming Abivard feels the same, if I'm interpreting his mantra correctly. ;)

#11 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

I guess what most people don´t realize is that UI 2.0 is not just for us, and giving us a nicer environment.
PGI made a tough call and reworks all the interior we don´t see at all, which should allow them to bring in new components and ultimately content much easier and faster that with the old UI.
Once that is done they will be able to commit more of their workforce to make changes and content which we actually will see.
I am pretty confident that 2014 will make this game, rather than break it.

Edited by Klappspaten, 02 January 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#12 Damon Howe

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

With their anticipation of clan mechs being released before any real metagame, I have my doubts.

Collisions seem to be a non-issue to them, still no "consequence" system for players, Hit detection, while slowly improving, is still bad at times, a new gamemode came out that not many people like (and if you do enjoy skirmish, I'm not apologizing) and a lot of other broken dreams and promises...

...don't get me wrong, my tags under my name show how much hope I've invested in this game...but that hope is dwindling fast...

#13 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

The release of the clanmechs might just be an financial imperative.
We have to remember that there is a business side that in a way is just as important as the technical side to such a game. With that in mind I understand why they wanted to release the clan sales prior to the holidays.
I just wished that they would further improve in communication with the playerbase.
Also, that they actually gave us actual release dates on some of the acclaimed features for the first time led me to believe that they are confident that they will be able to bring them to this dates.

Plus, lately I started playing some rounds of Star Trek Online with a few guys and that game has a LOT of bugs. Sometimes its even close of being unplayable. And that is after almost 4 years running. Compared to that MW:O is constructed very well.

We don´t know, but either way we will see during this year.
I absolutely agree that 2014 wil make or brake this game.

#14 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm happy as long as I can shoot mechs and play with my friends. Battletech fans have always been good at running their own communities and events. Sure it would be nice to not have to sync drop to run tourneys, but honestly we can make do. I just hope PGI pulls it out.

#15 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

#16 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

I thin peopl should just blub blub blub blub

#17 sgt scout

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

The game will last until 2015 for sure. As long as you guys pay hundreds for clan mechs the game will continue as is. If CW comes out next year and is any good that will give them enough time to create another great value package of no less than12 variations of four different mechs. Or they could skip CW and bring out another package as thats what makes the cheddar. Think about it, maybe by 2015 we'll have 20 different clan mechs to chuck into the fap fap tdm that is MWO. Who want CW ??

A serious note though, i was really expecting an invasion type thing to introduce the clans. The early access cash thing is a massive missed opportunity in introducing them.
I hope PGI can string enough people along for long enough to actually bring out CW ;)

All in all though going up against some clan mechs should liven up my enjoyment of the game a bit. I just hope there not going to be 30mill space bucks.

#18 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

View Postsgt scout, on 02 January 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

A serious note though, i was really expecting an invasion type thing to introduce the clans. The early access cash thing is a massive missed opportunity in introducing them.
I hope PGI can string enough people along for long enough to actually bring out CW ;)

Yes, they missed an awesome opportunity to do something really unique. I tossed the idea around with friends ages ago during CB. More recently someone made this post: http://mwomercs.com/...ties-the-clans/
which really fleshed out what a lot of people were speculating. Sadly, PGI massively dropped the ball. I think if they had actually done something like that they would have made huge waves in the gaming community, as well as making a huge splash in terms of social media marketing (twitter/reddit/fb speculation and hype) Terribad job they did. Hopefully CW will fix the gaping hole in my heart...

#19 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Hey now, if we're going to be upset about the Clans, let's at least be upset for the right reasons. First, they're being announced way before they're ready. Second, we know almost nothing about what we're buying, because Clan tech is only in the planning stages. (And what's a "war horn," or the "special Khan module"?) Third, the packages were massively expensive and inflexible. (That's been fixed by the a la carte options and the Masakari Collection being included with Gold Mechs) I feel that these are all legitimate gripes.

But being upset that the Clans are being introduced before CW? If you stop and think about it, they have to come out before CW, because in order for CW to work, both IS and Clan tech needs to be balanced by then. Sure, a big invasion storyline event to kick off CW would be very romantic and appeal to our fanboy-esque desires, but that would effectively drop new, untested, unbalanced Clan tech into a situation where winning and losing matches suddenly has real consequences. If Clan tech is too weak, then there is no "Clan invasion," because IS guys will wreck them. (And if you can't change your armor or engine, Clans are going to get wrecked.) If Clan tech is too strong, then everyone goes Clanner and there is no Inner Sphere left to fight.

We need the Clan mechs released long before CW arrives so we have time to balance Clan tech, form the Clan factions, and make sure everything else is ready before we start to play for keeps on the big map of the Inner Sphere.

Edited by Malzel, 02 January 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#20 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

And 2014 is not going to make or break MWO, because MWO is already succeeding. We already have lots of mechs to choose from and lots of maps to play them on, weapon balance has never been better, and the community is thriving despite all of the forum doomsaying. Right now, we have a pretty fun team-based shooter game, and that's all that really matters. Sure, we all want CW, but really, CW is just going to provide context to how we play the game, not drastically revolutionize the experience.

MWO's biggest problems, the largest obstacles it has to overcome, are the unreasonable expectations of its players. People come into this game expecting Jesus H. Christ to descend from on high in a golden Warhammer and deliver all of his faithful Battletech fans to the Promised Land, where all of their dreams and nostalgia are fulfilled. They get so caught up in what they want MWO to be, that they never see what MWO is, and MWO is a pretty good game.

If you like MWO right now, good news! 2014 is just going to make it better and better. If you don't like the game right now, then you should probably just move on to something else, because you're not going to magically like it once a shiny map of the Inner Sphere arrives.

Edited by Malzel, 02 January 2014 - 10:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users