#1 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

An alternative that will not set you back several hundred/thousand dollars and is already ready to play.

Plus Oculus Rift Ready
http://www.rockpaper...us-oculus-rift/

#2 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

So which Elite video has big multi ton mechs blasting each other?

#3 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 01 January 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

the mechs are in the shape of space ship. ;)

#4 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Ahh, Elite. I'm a backer myself. Lots of childhood memories attached to that franchise; the original Elite (well, the PC version of it anyways) must have been one of the very computer games I have ever played. :P

Looking forward to a career as a bounty hunter!

Have you checked the dev diary articles? I really like how much thought went into background stuff like the appearance of the space stations or the science behind space travel (reminds me of the "interstellar physics" chapter in the thick Elite II manual), etc ... plus, I really appreciate that they've largely kept the original geometric shapes of the now 30 year old ship designs and merely spiced them up to look good on modern hardware.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 04 January 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#5 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostHexenhammer, on 01 January 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

I'd take a well made space fighter game over a badly made mech game any day.

#6 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

Just got this in my mail box. Now that's what I call content.

http://us2.campaign-...e&id=cfcdbae60e

#7 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

Noticed a few things.

One, I absolutely adore the artistic direction. The cockpit interface, the color scheme, the fact that lasers shoot in beams instead of stupid slow-moving lightballs...jeez, it's like what MWO could have been...but in space.

However, I'm not fond of the fact that the flight model is basically in-atmosphere flight without gravity. I have a feeling that the reason Star Citizen's dogfight module is taking so long is probably because they're trying to figure out how to properly conduct between servers and users, and their flight model involves like 25 different vectors happening at the same time PER SHIP.

(and as we all probably know by now, CryEngine is not exactly very supportive in the netcode department....)

Anyway, I feel like the kinda-success of E:D is caused by the absolute drought in this genre, as well as the fact that SC is not coming anytime soon...and X: Rebirth's abysmal launch. But SC and EVE Valkyrie are two giant approaching sharks in the water.

#8 SjurWarEagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 May 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

X: Rebirth's abysmal launch

Please, please, please never use this game anywhere :/
*cleans away his tears*

#9 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

<< Backer

#10 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

Hoo yeah! This might eat away at my mech time once it becomes openly available. I've played a ridiculous amount of Frontier (Elite 2) back in the days.

#11 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 May 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

I absolutely adore the artistic direction. The cockpit interface, the color scheme, the fact that lasers shoot in beams instead of stupid slow-moving lightballs...jeez, it's like what MWO could have been...but in space.

However, I'm not fond of the fact that the flight model is basically in-atmosphere flight without gravity

Actually, there is true newtonian physics in ED. The in-atmosphere flight feel is the result of flight assist mode, which automatically applies reverse thrust. You can toggle flight assist on and off with the Z key.

#12 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

View Postxhrit, on 19 July 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Actually, there is true newtonian physics in ED. The in-atmosphere flight feel is the result of flight assist mode, which automatically applies reverse thrust. You can toggle flight assist on and off with the Z key.

Damn. This feels like MWO in space. :(

#13 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 19 July 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

Damn. This feels like MWO in space. :(

Yeah! It feels like an open world pvp/pve mwo in space. It is in my humble opinion, the most epic space game ever created... just imagine Eve, except more hardcore.

#14 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

Hmm... interesting.

#15 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Damn, I did a bit more research on ED and the more I look the more my scale tipped toward ED over SC. The rigid-looking artistic approach, the utilitarian AI and most importantly, the no-bullsh*t development coverage on ED's YouTube channel.

#16 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

You can now gain access to the beta for £50, or if you have previously purchased the base game, pay £15 for beta access.

I have just gotten the game yesterday. If anyone is thinking of getting it I would highly recommend using either a gamepad or joystick. Keyboard/mouse is HORRID (I knew it would be, as it's a pitch/roll game). Keyboard only is doable, but you lack fine control for aim (left a bit, right a bit, left a bit, roll a bit, etc).

You can tell David Braben is a fan of MWO. A lot of the UI and heat mechanics are very similar to MWO. The heat/stealth system rocks :)

#17 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

The comparisons between ED and SC are pretty interesting. I'm pretty invested in SC, but I'm starting to think I've backed the wrong horse. ED is actually delivering on promises. Might be a good game to play when it's released, as we'll have a couple of years before the public universe is ready in Star Citizen.

#18 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

View Postxhrit, on 19 July 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Thank god.

The true newtonian physics have been the big fault in Frontier Elite II and Frontier First Encounters.

Anyone who want's to take a small bit of newtonian space fight should try Diaspora Shattered Armstice.
It's a fan mad Battlestar Galactica game based on the Free Space Open Source engine, and it's free.
http://www.hard-ligh...p?topic=81859.0

A good thing from Frontier was the impression of a real big universe. Travelling from Jumppoint to a planet could take minutes - even with time compression on the highest level.
Elite Dangerous seems to copy that with the super cruise, and that's defenitly a good thing.

Edited by Alreech, 24 July 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#19 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostAlreech, on 24 July 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

A good thing from Frontier was the impression of a real big universe. Travelling from Jumppoint to a planet could take minutes - even with time compression on the highest level.
Elite Dangerous seems to copy that with the super cruise, and that's defenitly a good thing.

Yeah it is totally epic. Here is a video I made the other day of a simple trade run that almost turned deadly... who knew hauling fish could be this exciting?

#20 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostRoburn Bliss, on 22 July 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

I have just gotten the game yesterday. If anyone is thinking of getting it I would highly recommend using either a gamepad or joystick. Keyboard/mouse is HORRID (I knew it would be, as it's a pitch/roll game). Keyboard only is doable, but you lack fine control for aim (left a bit, right a bit, left a bit, roll a bit, etc).

I use a trackball... they are pretty hard to get the hang of but once you do it has the percision of a mouse, with none of the disadvantages.

Edited by xhrit, 24 July 2014 - 11:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users