• Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

I love how the nebula seems tiny when you are hundreds of light years away:

Posted Image

Once you get a bit closer:

Posted Image

Edited by Roburn Bliss, 24 November 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#102 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

what nebula is it ?

#103 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostAlreech, on 24 November 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

what nebula is it ?

The Orion Nebula.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#104 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Anyone play around with the official companion app? It's nice, but not a lot you can do yet other than look at commodities in the market you're currently in. Would be nice if they added some sort of out of game way to make some cash, like a baby stock market. Or edit your ship.

#105 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostRoburn Bliss, on 24 November 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

I love how the nebula seems tiny when you are hundreds of light years away:
That nebula also makes a short guest appearance here:

Not sure I'd want to experience THAT in an Oculus Rift. :D

View PostHeffay, on 24 November 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

It's nice, but not a lot you can do yet other than look at commodities in the market you're currently in. Would be nice if they added some sort of out of game way to make some cash, like a baby stock market. Or edit your ship.
Can you buy and sell commodities and/or accept missions?

Still waiting for the Android release, so no personal experience with it yet. Spoiler away if you will. ;)

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 24 November 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#106 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 24 November 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Can you buy and sell commodities and/or accept missions?

Still waiting for the Android release, so no personal experience with it yet. Spoiler away if you will. ;)

No, nothing like that. Was hoping for a mini-game like AC:Black Flag. You can capture ships in that game and add them to your fleet, and they help you make money as you send them out on trade routes. Would work great with E:D. Well, instead of capturing ships you could probably buy them and send them out. And the server could actually add them as part of the NPC stream. You could see other people's trade ships that way, and decide if it's worth interdicting them (and making a lifelong enemy in the process. ;) ).

So simple to say, so hard to code.

#107 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:33 AM

This game looks cool. I have watched few youtube videos and I like what I see there.

So my questions for people who played the Beta are:
- Is the game really immersive and good space sim we missed for so long?
- Is it possible to play with mouse and keyboard only?
- Is it time consuming?

Im thinking about preordering it and hope its worth the money.

Thanks!

#108 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

View Postz3a1ot, on 28 November 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

This game looks cool. I have watched few youtube videos and I like what I see there.

So my questions for people who played the Beta are:
- Is the game really immersive and good space sim we missed for so long?
- Is it possible to play with mouse and keyboard only?
- Is it time consuming?

Im thinking about preordering it and hope its worth the money.

1) I don't know how to rate immersiveness, but people who are playing it with an Oculus Rift are saying it's one of those jaw-dropping moments they won't forget.

2) I play with M+KB and don't have too many issues. You need a lot of fingers to play properly, since unlike a flight sim you have additional directions you can move and need to take advantage of it. But like a flight sim, you're always trying to get inside your opponents turn, which they simulate by making yaw react very slowly and pitch dependent on speed. So you need to put the target above/below you, and then 1/2 throttle (for maximum turn speed) to get them in front of you.

3) That depends a lot on you. There is no "goal" in the game, or end game. It's a sandbox, so any time you spend in there is doing things you set as your own goals. There are missions and upgrades, but I don't think the gameplay changes much from the iniitial ship. You go out, explore, fight, make money, and go home. It can suck up hours per day, or if you just want to make a few thousand spacebux you can just play for 15 min, do a quick mission, and play some more MWO. ;)

#109 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

I can echo the above.

I don't have an Oculus Rift, but I still feel immersed in the game simply due to the amount of detail that went into it ... from the Alien-movie-like UI flicker to how the sound changes when the canopy blows out to the amazing sights. Hell, even when the game was still in Alpha, I was already able to choose the pilot's gender, something that MWO hasn't managed to this very day. :(

I'm playing with mouse and keyboard myself, by the way. Pretty much the only advice I'd give here would be the following:
- set mouse to pitch/yaw rather than pitch/roll (I put roll on keyboard A+D)
- activate the mouse widget (so you see the thruster cursor)
- switch mouse thruster mode from auto-centering to continuous (so you only have to move the mouse once)

And it is as time-consuming as you want it to be, exactly as Heffay put it. I've had days where I stuck to the game for hours just hunting bounties with a friend, and on other days I'd only log on for half an hour to do a single courier mission.

For example, this is what I did today (reposting from somewhere else):

Just had two awesome bounties. The first was an Asp Explorer with a 20k price on its head. Interdicted her as she was pulling away from the local star. That beast had two missile racks and four burst lasers, two of them turrets, which promised an interesting fight, but that bounty was just a tad too juicy and I knew my Eagle should be able to outmaneuver her. Twice I got into the firing arc of the turrets, but my shields held, if only barely. A minute or so into the fight as I was happily plinking away at the Asp's thick skin, three new contacts popped into the system. As they were barely inside sensor range I was unable to identify them, but of course I immediately assumed the worst and figured that the gal in the Asp has summoned her buddies. Turns out however that (due to the reset from Beta to Gamma) my emergency transponder was still active, which means my ship has notified the local authorities. Apparently my target was so popular that they sent two Vipers plus an Eagle with concussion missiles! Fortunately, the combined fire from my burst lasers and the m-cannon managed to kill the Asp before the cops got closer, though they did manage to launch two missiles at her, each striking for about 4% hull damage.

Lesson for other prospective bounty hunters: Disable the "Report Crimes against Me" feature in your functions tab to the right! If you are hunting down a mark, the last thing you need is a bunch of coppers swooping in to steal your kill.

The second bounty was a Cobra with an 8k bounty; fairly standard fare, but it seems that guy was a smuggler rather than a pirate, for instead of fighting me he immediately turned away and tried to flee. Needless to say, I diverted some power into the engines and pursued, targeting the Cobra's frameshift drive as I opened fire. After taking some damage, the wanted pilot panicked and started jettisoning his illegal cargo, one canister after another, opening comms and pleading to me that I should let him go. That Cobra was like a giant piñata; the more I shot it, the more sweets poured out of its cargo hatch. :D
Being in an Eagle, however, I'd only have room for four tons of stuff anyways, so I continued the pursuit and finally blew him up, my computer logging the kill and issuing the customary bounty chit, to be redeemed next time I'd dock at a Federal outpost. Still having some of that white cloud of cargo canisters on my scanner, however, I deployed my cargo scoop and got me some stolen domestic appliances, which I was able to cash in for a nice bonus in the black market at Eranin Orbital.

Nothin' like life on the frontier, eh?

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 28 November 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#110 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:48 AM

Looking forward to this game.Been waiting a loooooong time for a new Elite game.

#111 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

I'm playing with mouse and keyboard myself, by the way. Pretty much the only advice I'd give here would be the following:
- set mouse to pitch/yaw rather than pitch/roll (I put roll on keyboard A+D)
- activate the mouse widget (so you see the thruster cursor)
- switch mouse thruster mode from auto-centering to continuous (so you only have to move the mouse once)

I find having my right mouse button bound to the "roll>yaw" toggle invaluable. It enables you to control pitch, yaw AND roll on the mouse. Use pitch/roll for coarse movements and pitch/yaw for fine tuning your aim. WASD for thrusters and scroll wheel for throttle. + 1 to the mouse widget and continuous mouse thruster mode.

Make sure you all pick up your 6 free Cobra mk3 skins:

Posted Image

Anyone can get these. You don't need to own the game, just make an account on: https://store.elitedangerous.com/

Edited by Roburn Bliss, 29 November 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#112 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:52 AM

View PostRoburn Bliss, on 29 November 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

I find having my right mouse button bound to the "roll>yaw" toggle invaluable. It enables you to control pitch, yaw AND roll on the mouse.
Usually I find A/D sufficient for rolling, but now that you mention it, I could definitely see use for having the greater accuracy of a mouse for roll when docking, specifically matching rotation with the cylinder...

I've got RMB as my secondary fire button (which means either the m-cannon or the warrant scanner) so I can't really use that, but I will have to investigate if maybe I can find some other button to use as a toggle. :)

#113 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

Thanks for your input guys!

I was wondering about the game universe and main powers in game; how does the universe behave? Are there conflicts between those main 3 factions and possibly epic capital ship battles and system takeovers? Is it possible for you the player to take sides and influence the outcome of these battles? Is there stuff like this in game right now?

I suppose this was what I was thinking when I was asking about immersivnes. Is universe static or more like EVE-online if you know what I mean?

Edited by z3a1ot, 30 November 2014 - 03:32 AM.

#114 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:45 AM

My wife pre ordered it for me last night.Can't wait.When it officially comes out will beta players get all their stats reset?

#115 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostCharronn, on 30 November 2014 - 06:45 AM, said:

My wife pre ordered it for me last night.Can't wait.When it officially comes out will beta players get all their stats reset?

One more wipe I believe. From my understanding people kept asking and they said "we're not sure yet", but finally said "You know, we *still* don't know but because you want an answer: yes." ;)

#116 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

Another quick question,do you get to name your pilot?

#117 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostCharronn, on 30 November 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

Yes.

#118 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostHeffay, on 30 November 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

Yes.

Cool cool thanks for your answers.

#119 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

View Postz3a1ot, on 30 November 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

I was wondering about the game universe and main powers in game; how does the universe behave? Are there conflicts between those main 3 factions and possibly epic capital ship battles and system takeovers? Is it possible for you the player to take sides and influence the outcome of these battles? Is there stuff like this in game right now?
Back in Alpha and Beta there was a damaged/stranded Federal battlecruiser near the independent colony of Azeban which the Federation attempted to invade. It was sending out distress calls whilst being under attack by Eranin Defence Force vessels, and players were able to drop in and pick a side. Also, the game tracked stuff like how many medical goods players transported to the planet in support of the locals' war effort.

From what I understand, the background sim is currently inactive, but it will be started up again when the game goes gold. In fact, the devs have already teased us a bit with the latest newsletter:

"Elite: Dangerous 1.0 will be released on 16th December. The game’s ever unfolding story starts on the 16 December launch with players participating in a vicious power struggle between the potential heirs to the recently-deceased Emperor, as the Federation and Alliance – the Empire’s rival galactic superpowers – attempt to manipulate the succession battle for their own advantage. Like every story in Elite: Dangerous’ shared galaxy, players will influence the outcome."

If you are interested in further details, I think you will enjoy reading this design document:
Elite Dangerous - Background Simulation

View PostCharronn, on 30 November 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

You can even change their gender *coughunlikeinMWOcough*, and for the future it is planned that you'll be able to name your ship as well (supposedly, there may even a sort of reputation attached to that name).

The devs plan on starting to work on an "out-of-cockpit" expansion some time after release and once they've finished implementing other core features still in development. Given the potential for interaction, it is safe to assume that this would include further customisation, at least of the character's face. We have already seen concept art for clothing, too, though.

Congrats on this present(?), by the way, and welcome to the game. :)
You should already be able to enjoy the combat tutorials right now, and if you're quick you may still be able to grab a bunch of free paintjobs for the Cobra!

#120 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:41 AM

After all your great input guys I have pre-ordered the game. It was really an easy decision after this :). Thanks a lot!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users