• 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 18 March 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

No show us your corona diving skills.

My ship will be burnt to a crisp before even getting close :P

View PostBasskicker, on 18 March 2015 - 04:37 AM, said:

How many credits do you expect to make from a 1 month run? Also are you scanning everything in each system or just cherry picking the best looking prospects for detailed scans?

Asking because I've got a bit of a nest egg built up from bounty hunting and I am thinking of kitting out an Asp for a couple week exploration run. I know some guys are making big bucks, but I would hate to go on a 2 week run and not make at least 10mil.

Honestly I have no idea. FD just raised exploration reward, but by how much I don't know. It also depends on how much detailed scan you do. I have the Advanced Discovery Scanner which reveals everything in the system to me (which makes it a must-have equipment), and I've developed the habit of at least scanning the star in detail every jump. If there're any high metal-content planet or earth-like worlds on the map after my ADS pinged, and they're relatively close like 1000LS away, I'll fly around a bit and give them a scan too because scanning them rewards extra money.

I was told do not go into exploring expecting to "make dem mad cash". Think of it as something to spend a few minutes on everyday, chilling with a drink and some music/podcast while taking pretty space pictures.

Posted Image

Edited by Helmstif, 18 March 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#342 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

Nices screen shots. Why the hell do all the games look better on PC that are not your own ? :D

Exploring with a Hauler is brave. 25 light years range, 250 000 credits (without scanners).
The Adder is a little bit better, and the T6 is real amazing (28 light years jump range, enough fuel for 5 jumps, and a class 4 fuel scoop).

#343 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostAlreech, on 20 March 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Nices screen shots. Why the hell do all the games look better on PC that are not your own ? :D

Exploring with a Hauler is brave. 25 light years range, 250 000 credits (without scanners).
The Adder is a little bit better, and the T6 is real amazing (28 light years jump range, enough fuel for 5 jumps, and a class 4 fuel scoop).

The Hauler can max out around 31 lys/jump with D rated gear except the frame shift drive which needs to be A rated. I just set out in a T6 to the California Nebula, then to where... who knows lol.

Edit: on the subject of the screenshots, they look so great because if you press alt-shift-f10 then the game takes a 4k screenshot. Just pressing f10 gives you a regular screenshot

Edited by Basskicker, 22 March 2015 - 04:03 PM.

#344 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostBasskicker, on 22 March 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

The Hauler can max out around 31 lys/jump with D rated gear except the frame shift drive which needs to be A rated. I just set out in a T6 to the California Nebula, then to where... who knows lol.

31 LYs without gun and Heat Sink launcher.

After dropping out of SC between two sun I add at least one heat sink launcher to the outfit, and i also use the best life support system i can get. It costs range, but imagine you get killed before reaching a station to sell all your exploration data... :(

I went with my T6 to the Pleiads. Some nice F class stars with metal rich worlds and planets. Maybe all the systems near the old novas contain that kind of metal rich objects.

View PostBasskicker, on 22 March 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Edit: on the subject of the screenshots, they look so great because if you press alt-shift-f10 then the game takes a 4k screenshot. Just pressing f10 gives you a regular screenshot

I know, but still the same game looks on other PCs better ;) (and I'm quite sure that the grass is greener on the other side...)

#345 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostAlreech, on 23 March 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

31 LYs without gun and Heat Sink launcher.

After dropping out of SC between two sun I add at least one heat sink launcher to the outfit, and i also use the best life support system i can get. It costs range, but imagine you get killed before reaching a station to sell all your exploration data... :(

I went with my T6 to the Pleiads. Some nice F class stars with metal rich worlds and planets. Maybe all the systems near the old novas contain that kind of metal rich objects.

I know, but still the same game looks on other PCs better ;) (and I'm quite sure that the grass is greener on the other side...)

Yea the heat sink launcher can be a life saver in those situations. I jumped to a system with a binary star system in my sidewinder when I was first just diddling around. Heat shot up to around 230%, I luckily got away... with a cracked canopy and only 30% left on the hull, but I was able to limp back to civilization. (even after being interdicted by a Cobra). Needless to say, I was a firm believer in the HS launcher after that.

The only thing I don't like about the T6 so far for exploring is the cockpit... just too much stuff in the way to get a decent screenshot, and no roof to look through either. I've made the California Nebula and have decided I am going as close to out of the Milky Way as the game will allow. Found a lot of High Metal planets and Water planets, but have yet to find any Earth-likes yet.

#346 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Forgive my ignorance-- what's the difference between Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous?

#347 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

View PostBurktross, on 23 March 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

Forgive my ignorance-- what's the difference between Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous?

For one I can boot my PC up, sign in to Elite Dangerous, then fly to any number on star systems(of which there are too many to ever be able to explore them all). I can trade, explore, bounty hunt, be a space pirate, take part in warzones in Elite. The point is I can do all of that right now for about 70US. Star Citizen is still in it's adolescence, and pretty limited on what you can do at the moment. I'm positive it will be great when released, and it will probably blow Elite out of the water when it is finally finished, but for now ED fills my need for space sim relaxation while I have limited time for games.

#348 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostBurktross, on 23 March 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

Also, combat in Star Citizen feels like Freelancer (and rightfully so, since both are Chris Roberts games), while E:D feels like, surprisingly, MWO. There're three classes of lasers with three variants in each class, all of which shoot in beams. Four classes of traditional cannons, multicannons are basically AC2, flak-cannons are practically SRMs. Plasma cannons works just like PPCs, and railguns dominate in PVP dogfights, exactly like how twin gauss-rifles dominate in MWO. Heck, those railguns even have charge-ups! If E:D's seeker missiles fire in swarms then it's basically MWO in space. I even call my Eagle "Space Jenner" because it feels exactly like a Jenner in combat.

Come to think of it...E:D is probably as close to Aerospace as one can get.

Edited by Helmstif, 23 March 2015 - 06:55 PM.

#349 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 23 March 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Come to think of it...E:D is probably as close to Aerospace as one can get.

that´s why i oficially asked them to add Mechs when they get to implement ground combat, so i´d have everything i´ll ever need :)

Edited by Alex Warden, 23 March 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#350 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

Guys, if you haven't, try the vulture. And if you got the money, try the fer de lance too. Those ships are freaking monsters in combat. With the fer, with a plasma mounted on the huge hardpoint, you can shot down 'condas with two shots on the powerplant. 15 seconds flat to kill an anaconda. No joking.

Also, Helmstif, kudos for those screenshots, looking forward for your post on the frontier forums!

#351 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

For the history record: played my first Elite on ZX Spectrum with magnet tape. Tape was ***** so I could not save my status.
Solution was to play 78 hours non-stop... OMG... Was master in Elite II on Amiga. I guess I am getting old?

Nah, man.

Edit: my wife will not tolerate another addiction, so dont do this to me !!!

Edited by ExoForce, 24 March 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#352 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

View Posto0cipher0o, on 24 March 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Guys, if you haven't, try the vulture. And if you got the money, try the fer de lance too. Those ships are freaking monsters in combat. With the fer, with a plasma mounted on the huge hardpoint, you can shot down 'condas with two shots on the powerplant. 15 seconds flat to kill an anaconda. No joking.

Also, Helmstif, kudos for those screenshots, looking forward for your post on the frontier forums!

Not even kidding, I was playing Open in Lugh a few days ago, fighting for Fed rep alongside the capitol ship. I was not looking for trouble and my ‘conda was packed with turrets. Three hostile Cmdrs ganged up on me, among them there was a Vulture AND a FDL. My loadout was not up for a PVP fight so I decided to bail, except both of them are much faster than me and they fried my drives with plasma. It lasted about a minute. Luckily I still had several times the insurance, but still I was kinda grossed afterward and decided to take a trip :ph34r:

#353 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

Yeah. I've played for a week with the vulture, and i loved the ship. Then, the community goal ended, and the federation paid the 22,5 millions wage i desrved for kicking CSG members asses. And the time to buy and outfit the FDL came. Gotta love the purple ball of doom.

Edited by o0cipher0o, 24 March 2015 - 03:16 PM.

#354 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

Yeah the class-4 Plasma Acc would probably work better on FDL. Anaconda simply doesn't have the turning rate for precise aiming. It's like trying to shoot a Spider with Atlas' AC20.

#355 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

Must... resist... the urge...

Reading quick starter manual now... ;)

#356 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

View Posto0cipher0o, on 24 March 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

Yeah. I've played for a week with the vulture, and i loved the ship. Then, the community goal ended, and the federation paid the 22,5 millions wage i desrved for kicking CSG members asses. And the time to buy and outfit the FDL came. Gotta love the purple ball of doom.

Yes the Vulture is truly a beast at the 5mil price point. It is cheaper to kit out than the Asp, has 2 Class 3 hardpoints that are in favorable positions, insane manouverability, and a huge amount of shields. The only downside is it's speed, but the shields more than make up for it IMO. I guess you could call having only 2 hardpoints a downside, but since it's also gimped by a C4 PP you really couldn't benefit from more hardpoints anyways.

Those C3 Beam lasers can burn through any NPC ship in no time, and anything smaller than a Dropship can be swatted away at will.

Haven't been able to try out the FDL yet as it's above my pay grade ATM, but I've heard enough about them to run away if I get interdicted by a CMDR in one. Not that running away is really an option since it's so fast. That Huge Plasma Acc can apparantly down a Conda in like 2-3 hits on the power plant. Don't think I will be getting one any time soon since the FDL seems to fill that PvP Luxury combat ship, and comes with some pretty hefty repair/insurance costs should the worst happen. Will probably go Python when the time comes because it is just more versatile.

#357 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

Meh, the FDL is expensive to repair if the huge plasma gets damaged (i had to repaeir a completely destroied one, 40k in reparations for the gun alone o.o). Otherwise it's about as expensive as a python. And still, a top fitted FDL has an insurance cost of about half the cost of a top fitted python.

BTW, i'm working my way to get a trading python, while keeping the FDL, that i will use to get a 'conda as soon as possible, then, the conda will be my trading vessel, that i will use to fit the python, and then the 'conda itslef, for combat. Gotta love big expensive ships.

#358 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

since everyone is sharing... ^^

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#359 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:20 PM

Nice shots!

I'll rise with a brown dwarf with a ring :)

Posted Image

BTW, am i the only one that feels that the ships would greatly benefit from higher resolution textures, both for internals and externals?

Edited by o0cipher0o, 01 April 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#360 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

Aehm, looks like Frontier silently released Elite on steam :blink: :ph34r:

http://store.steampo...com/app/359320/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users