Elite: Dangerous

552 replies to this topic

#361 Goosfraba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:27 PM

And for those who are now asking if they are getting a Steam key, this is the official answer.

We haven't removed any option - as for providing steam keys for people who already own the game we'll look into it and go from there.

Michael

So yes, no, maybe. -_-

Edited by Goosfraba, 02 April 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#362 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

I bet this will go on like when the vulture and FDL were released, and everyone and his mother was complaining on the prices.
Utter rage will flow in the forums, then, after some time, frontier will hand out Steam keys. Yet, i can really leave without one, i don't care about steam achievements or how long i played the last time (also because i tend to play A LOT, and knowing exactly how much would be depressing xD).

#363 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

The closest example is that GOG allows certain Steam games to be activated on GOG. The other way around through, I don't think that's ever happened.

EDIT: Literally today GOG allowed people to activate S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat using Steam keys. Time to revisit the zone....

Edited by Helmstif, 02 April 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#364 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:49 PM

Everybody who was going to buy Elite straight from Frontier has done so.

Frontier has done the numbers, and has realized that they have peaked, in terms of the hardcore base.

I think they are smart in getting it on Steam, while they can. A better launch would have been nice, but I suspect they are feeling the financial pressures after the December launch. The XBox screaming is nothing, compared to the fact that the game has now added Steam.

The good news is that Frontier has a new source of revenue, regardless of reviews. Elite is *not* for everyone.

I welcome our new Steam Overlords. :)

#365 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

Ah, they can release it wherever they want, it's their game, as long as they keep up the good work, i don't care about what they do.

And yeah, Elite is definitely a game that's not meant for everyone.

#366 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

So I took the plunge last night, and man oh man is Elite a lot of fun. I died and had to restart my character four times in four hours :P. Turns out you can still input controls when using menus.. which threw me right into the starting station. Next I found myself stuck floating above a star unable to move in any direction, what's up with that? Restart. Next I was attacked by another player in a bigger ship; dead. I had a blast doing all of it though. Aside from why I was stuck floating above that star, my main question is how do I target a station once I Frame Shift to a new system. I know that my mission destination is in the system I jump to, but I can't find the stations once I arrive. Any help?

Also, how do I figure out which systems sell coffee, etc.?

Edit:

Figured everything out except the being stuck above that star..

Edited by t Khrist, 18 April 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#367 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:46 AM

View Postt Khrist, on 18 April 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

Figured everything out except the being stuck above that star..

What do you mean by "stuck above the star"?

#368 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 18 April 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

What do you mean by "stuck above the star"?

Came out of Frame Shift right in front of a star as usual, but got a little too close. Said systems were shutting down but never did. When I throttled up, it said I was moving and had the appropriate visual effects, yet I never actually ended up moving. So I was stuck floating relatively close to the surface of a star unable to move.

Also.. docking queue, what's up with that? Takes forever to get access to some stations.

EDIT: Thinking back it was probably telling me that I was forcefully exiting FS due to the proximity to the star. Still don't know why I couldn't move though.

Edited by t Khrist, 18 April 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#369 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:48 PM

Yup that's exactly what happened, you got too close to the sun and was popped out of supercruise because gravity and sh*t. You'll have to re-enter the supercruise while facing directly away from the star in order to break away from its gravity well. Chance is your ship is gonna get burnt pretty bad in the process.

As for the docking queue, it's very common to have all the docks occupied in outposts in a high player count system. I'm not sure if there's a queue system yet - last time I checked your best chance is to spam docking request as soon as you see a ship about to take off.

#370 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:25 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 18 April 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Yup that's exactly what happened, you got too close to the sun and was popped out of supercruise because gravity and sh*t. You'll have to re-enter the supercruise while facing directly away from the star in order to break away from its gravity well. Chance is your ship is gonna get burnt pretty bad in the process.

As for the docking queue, it's very common to have all the docks occupied in outposts in a high player count system. I'm not sure if there's a queue system yet - last time I checked your best chance is to spam docking request as soon as you see a ship about to take off.

The trajectory makes sense. The FS drive would charge up but wouldn't engage. It alerted me to align to the correct vector but eluded to tell me which way that was. I attempted while facing out towards open space, but wasn't exactly perpendicular to the star.

Spamming docking requests when seeing a ship about to take off after returning to the station's surface was precisely what I did. Worked after about 5-10 minutes, allowing me to successfully complete my first mission.. delivering coffee to caffeine addicts :).

About to jump back into it. Earn some more cash before bed. I'm saving up for any ship that can move faster than the base ship; I tend to overshoot stations a lot when approaching them while using the FS drive.

#371 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

View Postt Khrist, on 18 April 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

The trajectory makes sense. The FS drive would charge up but wouldn't engage. It alerted me to align to the correct vector but eluded to tell me which way that was. I attempted while facing out towards open space, but wasn't exactly perpendicular to the star.

Check the destination indicator, that small radar-like thing at the top left of your "main" radar panel. I think you can figure out the rest after realizing it is there. ;)

#372 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 18 April 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

Check the destination indicator, that small radar-like thing at the top left of your "main" radar panel. I think you can figure out the rest after realizing it is there. ;)

Makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out!

I found the first thing I don't like about the game though.. People who bully others at stations! I was attempting to dock when all of a sudden a big transport ship comes barreling out just as I'm going in, crashes into, and kills me. I immediately returned, and made it inside this time. While I was lining myself up to the pad, out of nowhere the transport reappeared just to smash into me like a dolphin fending off a shark. He continued this until I blew up. Third time was a charm though and either he had left, or I landed before he could hit me. All in all it was mildly entertaining I suppose. I took it as a challenge, though a frustrating one :P.

#373 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

The price bites a bit though. Almost one monthly engineer's salary for the game!

#374 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hey guys check this out. ED is getting community warfare, without a "beta" tag, even though the community wasn't really even expecting it! And a meager FOUR MONTHS after the game's official release as well!

http://us2.campaign-...e&id=b0a8ebba0b

Oh how the other half live!

Edited by Lindonius, 27 April 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#375 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:52 PM

Factions? Sold !

Short question: do I need to mess with Steam? I will play only MWO and Elite.

I prefer buying directly from game publishers.

#376 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

View PostExoForce, on 28 April 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

I prefer buying directly from game publishers.

And yes you can.

#377 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

I am in, and I am hooked. Of course, I accidently pressed Boost while entering the station, crashed to the inside parking lot so authorities destroyed me with huge lasers :). I will do training for a while and then go solo untill I earn enough for weapons and modules. Dont want to repeat MWO rookie expirience :blush: . Messing with Voice attack and AHK, when I will be ready we can make Wings. Dam, its good.

#378 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

Elite's CW is coming along nicely. You know, actually being worked on. And stuff.

Posted Image

Oh BTW. That's a full two weeks between the announcement of powerplay and a screenshot being released of it. Two weeks.

Posted Image

Edited by Lindonius, 10 May 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#379 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostLindonius, on 10 May 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

^You've got some nice Cred there.. how about sharing some of that with a lowly nOOb to help with the purchase of a Cobra? Eh?.. eh?

Currently on my way back to inhabited space from about 300 LY's out exploring. It's been a long voyage skipping a mere 13 LY's at a time. Lot's of fun though, and should make enough to get that Cobra ;).

Edit: Some shots from tonight!

Cool looking binary system:

Posted Image

That same system but with one star eclipsing the other :):

Posted Image

Edited by t Khrist, 11 May 2015 - 07:39 PM.

#380 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:34 AM

View PostLindonius, on 10 May 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

Elite's CW is coming along nicely. You know, actually being worked on. And stuff.

Oh BTW. That's a full two weeks between the announcement of powerplay and a screenshot being released of it. Two weeks.

To be entirely fair, talk about powerplay has been going on for some time (since wings update). The official "what it actually is announcement" only happened 2 weeks ago. They probably took some time to make sure to get stuff like that working before even announcing it.

FD is really trying to make this feature look nice. Fits perfectly well with their other good UI things happening in the game.

Edit: You've been exploring in an Eagle? My goodness.

Edited by August55, 12 May 2015 - 05:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users