• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

Imagine being the person in the Orange ASP flying there, minding your own business..

All of a sudden a slowly moving, fast spinning, ship creeps up from your lower peripheral, just to explode right before your eyes as it moves into the center of your FOV, without having witnessed the events that caused it. They must have been so confused..

Edited by t Khrist, 10 February 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#542 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:27 PM

Utmost respect for you guys out on DW. Furthest I've been is Betelgeuse before I got tired of jump - honk - scoop ad nauseum. How do you keep yourself sane?

I'd love to get out there and see things no one else has. But it's just so dull for the most part.

#543 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostLunatech, on 10 February 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

Utmost respect for you guys out on DW. Furthest I've been is Betelgeuse before I got tired of jump - honk - scoop ad nauseum. How do you keep yourself sane?

I'd love to get out there and see things no one else has. But it's just so dull for the most part.

Most explorers are lone wolves, typically venturing out alone for months. Until now, there hasn't been an organized expedition of multiple pilots. For a lot of us, it's the companionship that keeps us going. 90% of the pilots involved have barely left the bubble before this, and had little interest in such. With the guidance of the expeditions' organizors, they have made it possible for a level of social interactions between total strangers that can add enough depth to make the bucky-ballin' not so bad. With small set-goals, smaller excursions at Waypoints, a full itinerary, multiple social media channels (Discord being the main one), and a myriad of other things, it's something that pulls you in, makes you want to keep going and be involved.

The Waypoints are pretty key. The people over at FGE really know their way to Beagle Point. Each stop is on a gorgeous planet or moon, in a gorgeous system, nearby or inside of a gorgeous nebula. There's not shortcoming of sights to see. Another huge draw is virtually every system out there is untagged. Each of us will return with 1000's of First Discoveries, not to mention our names on the list of visitors to BP. There's a lot to get behind, and I guess the bounty hunt grind was getting a bit old, but let me tell you I cannot wait to shoot something when I get back..

Scouring the Galaxy Map for those hidden gems of a system is fun as well. Discovering a new black hole, perhaps a hazardous neutron field, the very rare MS stars. It's hard not to go a few thousand Ly out of my way between Waypoints cause I just have to have my name on that non-sequence..

Also with a jump range of 34 Ly, you can make those small trips to POI rather quickly. Small goals is a must to continue.

You should hear some of the die-hards stories that organized it..
Circumnavigating the galaxy
Multiple trips to BP
Alternating between economic and fastest routes every kylie..
.. or just going economic the whole way
Triliterating every jump for everything listed above

Crazy stuff..

#544 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

So.. I realized I hadn't updated this thread about the Distant Worlds Expedition.

I made it!

I am currently still sitting at Beagle Point, more than 65,000 light years from our solar system. I've been there since the 2nd of this month. Along with me were well over 500 other commanders that completed the trip, with a few hundred expected to arrive by early June as part of the trailing FGE fleet.

Most have already left to begin the long trip home, many have already returned. After nearly three months of over 3500 jumps totaling 73 in-game hours to get there, I was spent. I have some things to finish up on the other side of the galaxy before heading home. I know not if I'll ever return, so I must be sure to do everything I planned to. I needed a break though. So I have not played since arriving. I've been feel in the itch though, to explore, push the boundaries, and get the hell back to the bubble and see how much I make from selling the data.

The fleet ended up becoming a community, the DWE Discord server now 'FleetComm', which is pretty much the main exploration hub for ED outside of the official forums. If anyone wants the link to the server, I'd be happy to post it here. It's open for anyone, and an amazing resource and group of CMDR's. There's a lot I could say about my experiences participating, but it would go on for far too long.

There will be a DWE next year as well, I'm not sure if I'll be a part of it again, hell I still have another 3500 jumps just to get home let alone going back, but I hope anyone who's interested gives it a try. Was an experience worth having.

I'll likely have more to say while on my way back over the next few months, I'll chime in now and again.

I'll leave you with some screens..

Amazingly a Sidewinder managed to make it to Beagle Point! The first and only. With no SRV, the rock rats prospected for Jumponium materials, and he scooped them up off planet surfaces with his ship! Now that's determination and working together.
Spoiler

Really looks like I'm leaving the galaxy. Going to try and use some jump boosts to see how far up I can push that distance.
Spoiler

Tilt-shifted image of my roommate and I on the surface of Waypoint 23, Beagle Point system.
Spoiler

Edited by t Khrist, 23 April 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#545 DANGEROUS

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

Is this a game based on a simulator based on a battletech aerospace drop ship based on my auto biography based on my days as an elite cadet?

#546 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:21 AM

View PostDANGEROUS, on 23 April 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Is this a game based on a simulator based on a battletech aerospace drop ship based on my auto biography based on my days as an elite cadet?

if you imagine the imagination of an imaginated image of said aerospace ship , then yes.

#547 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:30 AM

View Postt Khrist, on 23 April 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

... hell I still have another 3500 jumps just to get home let alone going back...,

For Khrist's sake !!!

#548 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

get home well, and hope no buggy stuff kilsl you or makes the data of your journey corrupt or broken.

#549 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

Did they drastically increased the number of terra formable planet and including metal rich, water world and earth like? I got back into the game after a long break and they are dime a dozen now, i have 15 system with many of those in only 500ly. I use the bookmarking system every time i find something of value like starting with anything terra formable and i can see my trail.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users