57 replies to this topic

#41 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostDraconis March, on 20 January 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Do something different from the MechWarrior reboot trailer.

It is different. The reboot trailer is suddenly Atlas.

#42 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Ok its been quiet for about a week. this has mostly been due to my participation in the global game jam and being sick.
so most of the work has been involving script revisions. that being said i feel we're closing in on a really tight and achievable piece of fiction. right now we need 2 main sets.

the first is the fortress dropship and its mechbay level. which is currently in progress.

the second will be the battlefield which is roughly a 3x3 kilometer cityscape.
the first part around the dropship will be set at dusk and the battle itself will be set at night during a thunderstorm.
I'm going to be using the rain and night to obscure quite a few of the locations so I can get away with a lot of repeated geometry without it being too noticable. in terms of weather I'm going to say look at pacific rim during the hong kong battle that's what i'm going for.

As for characters we'll only need 1 Hero quality female character model 1 mech technician (low quality) and one partial hero quality male mechwarrior.

there are basically 4 hero assets required for this little project (the 3 mechs and the female character) these are going to require the most amount of time to complete. once those are done we can commit most of the time to blocking out the animation. with the use of real time render engines that part of the project should go pretty quick.

and now for some pictures:
since the last update I've changed the layout of the fortress so it has 3 exit doors and a space for the cargo elevator.
basicly the only mechbay which will require a lot of detail in the marauder bay and that will sit next to one of the doors. the rest of the interior will be background and will not get the same level of detail pass that the area around the marauder's bay needs.

Posted Image

next up I've starting doing panel details on the Marauder. while shims original design is great. it doesnt really have a lot of surface details. So i've decided it needs some wear and tear, dents, and panel welds.
Posted Image

Note everything is still work in progress and subject to change but please don't let that discourage you from providing feedback. this is still largely a learning process for me as well.

#43 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

If I could like this multiple times, I would. Let me just say, instead, I love what you're doing here, and am champing at the bit for the next update.

#44 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'm sorry guys, things have come up which will affect my ability to work on this for quite a while, thus i am pulling the plug on this project. the scope simply became too big and my free time has slowly started to shrink. and even though some people have started joining up to help i don't feel i can lead a team when i am barely going to be able to work on this myself.

Sorry to everyone who was looking forward to this. but it's over.

Note it's due to personal matters no one forced me to stop.

#45 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Just set it aside, for now, and return to it when you're able. No reason to kill it, just put it aside. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you're going through, buddy.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 27 October 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#46 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the update. Hope things calm down enough that you can work on whatever you wish again.

#47 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

same here.

#48 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:26 AM

hope this is still alive and kicking

#49 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

How did I miss this? This is great!

#50 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

omg omg omg this will be so cool i mean just im mean scweeeeeeeee

#51 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostNautilusCommand, on 27 October 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

How did I miss this? This is great!

Me too, hope it still is going...

#52 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

So, Sentinel, my last post was in February... has anything improved, yet? :)

#53 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

Greetings all,

Reference the Mech breaking through surface road.

It was quite common for normal ferocrete (lore era reinforced concrete) to be used as the standard material for roads and structures. Industrial Mech's were also somewhat common (in developed locations) in there use for assisted building and demolition, so the surface material (roads, plaza's, bridges) would need to be strong enough for these elements.
- Depending on the mass weight perhaps only cracking if it's part of a buildings 'artistic structures'.
(fountain areas, gardens)

Any aerospace, Dropship airport or spaceport, location strong enough to support the elements landing, would be constructed to the level to handle Mech's. (again, common loading, support Mechs used there.)

Just an Idea,

Ps: For the faster movement of this Mech, have you considered extending the stride distance of the legs?
- More forward length steps, as they (feet) appear to all halt (step) at about the nose distance.
Quite a few of the RL current designed 'reversed legged' robots have two methods of walking gait,
- One allows the upper 'torso' to freely transition vertically and horizontally during the leg movement. (swaying)
- The second gait keeps the 'torso' stabilized by using the leg positions to 'compensate' for all movement, giving a more smoother walk dynamic.
(this second method is used when systems and sensors are required to scan the environment as the element moves.)

Just some info,
(reference 'power leg' robot testing)
Pss: Excellent work so far.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 28 October 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#54 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

View Post9erRed, on 28 October 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

Greetings all,

Reference the Mech breaking through surface road.

It was quite common for normal ferocrete (lore era reinforced concrete) to be used as the standard material for roads and structures. Industrial Mech's were also somewhat common (in developed locations) in there use for assisted building and demolition, so the surface material (roads, plaza's, bridges) would need to be strong enough for these elements.
- Depending on the mass weight perhaps only cracking if it's part of a buildings 'artistic structures'.
(fountain areas, gardens)

Any aerospace, Dropship airport or spaceport, location strong enough to support the elements landing, would be constructed to the level to handle Mech's. (again, common loading, support Mechs used there.)

Industrialmechs have few reasons to run so weight has a more gradual distribution, they are also abnormal traffic outside of certain industrial areas or construction zones, either of which they might be transported to just to avoid damaging streets. A running Battlemech puts all its weight plus some addition downforce on each footfall, concentrating much more force into each step than an Industrialmech moving at normal speeds (though one running in an emergency would produce the same effect). Might not be like in the animation, but the ferrocrete would crack and possibly depress a bit, just not enough to give good traction when turning. Call it artistic license used to give the feeling of a large object running at a decent speed. Also like modern roads BT roads would be rated depending on traffic. A road that sees little heavy traffic would be thinner than the say highways with lots of heavy trucks. Unlike those same trucks, 'Mechs distribute their mass over a much smaller area, and since they are actually rare traffic in most areas, roads would not normally be designed to support them.

#55 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hey guys, Thanks for the interest but i'm sorry to say that this project is as good as shelved.

I am now doing freelance work for ironwind metals making official battletech mini's and as some of you know i'm also working on a videogame. (Check it out for those interested http://www.interstellarrift.com/)

While i still want to do this project. if I ever do get to it, it most likely won't be more than a 30 second clip. The full 5 minute video would simply be too much work on my own. and i just don't have the time.

One day i'll do something with that marauder (i still love that design) but most likely not anytime soon, Sorry guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users