21 replies to this topic

#1 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

You've probably seen me around hooting about ECM or extolling the virtues of the Medium weight class. But that is that and this is... this. And this is a thread for ALL the Great Houses. I've looked and there isn't one. Got a Steiner Assault camo? Or maybe you're repping the Capellan Confed parade paints. REGARDLESS, post your paint jobs here! I'll start with a bunch of my personal favorite; the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery, or DCMS.

I've made a personal endeavor to try to be faithful to parade colors, but some of it is just my interpretation. Some of them aren't 100%, either because a lack of a specific skin, or specific decal limits me from improving upon the design. Regardless, here are several DCMS unit colors, in alphabetical order.

Alshain Regulars
The Alshain Regulars take their colors form the planetary flag of Alshain and paint their ‘mechs in shades of grey, white and jade. The 8th, for example, uses a combination of grey and jade while, the ‘mechs of 11th are painted white and jade.

[Field Manual - Draconis Combine: p. 35ff]

Posted Image

(This is one of Kyone Akashi's pictures, I figured you wouldn't mind being represented :lol: )

Alshain Avengers
Pending the destruction of literally all but 5% of the 11 regiments of the Alshain Regulars, the Avengers were formed with the intent to take back the Alshain Military District from the Clans.

Posted Image

2nd Arkab Legion
Shahadet over at ours truly showed me a couple paint ups of their unit colors. The Arkab Legion eshews parade colors and typically uses appropriate camouflage. I hope I did it justice. :(

Posted Image

Benjamin Regulars
The Benjis also typically used camouflage, specifically for urban enviroments, using soft grays and browns.

Posted Image

Dieron Regulars
This unit actually hates using parade colors, and if ordered will paint their mechs white with gold trim. I decided to use woodland camo because they love their normal camouflage too much to quite give it up. :blink:

Posted Image

Galedon Regulars
The Galedon Regulars favor white, or light grey, with Jade Green accents. I've found both "Pigment" and "Zelenoo" to be pretty great jades.

Posted Image

The Genyosha
The 1st and 2nd Genyosha both use an ash grey. Later on, the 2nd Genyosha use a small Black stripe, as a means of differentiating between the two units.

Posted Image

As an aside, somebody from the Kurita Paint thread suggested that if you use snowfall on a Kintaro, you can get a pretty badass looking Black Ocean theme going on!

Posted Image

The Ghost Regiments, Many colored Winds of Fate
The Ghost are primarily composed of career Yakuza. They use a light grey, almost white, with green dragon's tail decal wrapped around the mech, with gold scales denoting a Pilot's confirmed kills. They're decorated with huge ornamental irezumi designs, chosen by the Pilot to regale others with tales of his conquests in his Battlemech. These are one of my favorite units paint-ups, and it's really a shame that you can't duplicate it. But I have all my personal mechs done up in a grey, so here they are, barring the introduction of dragon's tail decals!

Posted Image

Otomo
The personal guard of the Royal Palace on Luthien, the Otomo rock a bitchin' paint scheme of black and gold, both during parade, and in battle.

Posted Image

Pesht Regulars
Use a light grey with jade green and dark blue accents.

Posted Image

Ryuken
(In this case, the Ryuken-Ni) Employ a charcoal grey body, with an accent determined by unit inside the Ryuken. The Ryuken Ni use charcoal grey and a silver accent along the edges of their Battlemechs, to create the illusion of the edge of a blade.

Posted Image

Amphigean Light Assault Group

A curious unit with a colored history. This unit was originally a mercantile defense unit, loaned to the DCMS by the Amphigean Company in defense of its assets on-planet. They were used continually in decidedly "dishonorable" tactics, using a 'Mech's speed, rather than armor or weapons, to win battles. They had lots of success, going so far as to harass and defeat Assault groups much heavier than them, using guerilla hit and run tactics, and NEVER fighting in single combat. They used appropriate planetary camo, unless in parade, in which they use a grey with rust accents and black painted scorch marks. (This one was really tricky, since there are currently no battle damage paintups. I made do with Applejack and it seemed alright.)

Posted Image

And last but not least, the mainstays of the DCMS backbone, are the

Sword of Light Regiments

Famous, or rather infamous, for implementing a single Red color across all battlemechs, completely ignoring planet camo or parade decor. These units are highly respected, and are the single coolest unit in the DCMS.

Posted Image

#2 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

AND I even painted a nasty Davion Guard mech... cuz Raider is such a good unit scheme. Best we've got so far!

Posted Image

#3 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostStomp, on 07 January 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

AND I even painted a nasty Davion Guard mech... cuz Raider is such a good unit scheme. Best we've got so far!

Posted Image

Aren't you really Sean Lang? :)

#4 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Here is a mech from the Second Free Worlds Guards. The official paint scheme is white with purple paneling and a touch of black edging. I used the urban block paint scheme with Titanium White and Pleione.

Posted Image

This is a mech belonging to the 1st Orloff Grenadiers. The official paint scheme is olive green drab on the legs and lower torso and a brighter lime green on the upper torso, arms and head. I achieved this by using olive green as the tertiary color and Ianchi for both the primary and secondary colors. I used the mountain line paint scheme to create the desired effect.

Posted Image

Edited by Julian Langsdorf III, 11 January 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#5 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 11 January 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

Aren't you really Sean Lang? :)

LOL! Well I might be a big fan of Battletech, but I'm not sure I have a podcast about it. Although... you never know. What day is it? Where am I?

View PostJulian Langsdorf III, on 11 January 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

Here is a mech from the Second Free Worlds Guards. The official paint scheme is white with purple paneling and a touch of black edging. I used the urban block paint scheme with Titanium White and Pleione.

Posted Image

This is a mech belonging to the 1st Orloff Grenadiers. The official paint scheme is olive green drab on the legs and lower torso and a brighter lime green on the upper torso, arms and head. I achieved this by using olive green as the tertiary color and Ianchi for both the primary and secondary colors. I used the mountain line paint scheme to create the desired effect.

Posted Image

The mountain line camo was quite a smart choice. You used the top two patterns for one color? That's pretty clever. :o

#6 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thanks! Yeah, when I realized that Mountain Line takes the tertiary color and covers like the bottom 70% of the mech with it, I realized it was a potential good fit for any paint scheme where the bottom half or so of the mech is supposed to be one color, and the top half something different. It offers a good horizontal dividing point.

The big challenge as a FWL player is mastering the Marik Militia paint scheme to something approximating canon accuracy. Since red trim and blue trim are supposed to be on different sides over a purple base and I've yet to find a paint scheme setup that really supports that accurately.

Edited by Julian Langsdorf III, 11 January 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#7 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Got two more.

Second Sirian Lancers. Ochre-red with green trim is the official standard. I actually found a use for Applejack with this one.

Posted Image

This one is for the Silver Hawk Irregulars. Individual planets contribute their own troops and they use their own paint schemes. Troops from Amity and Concord use a gold with orange trim paint scheme. I went the route of using the color "Sulphur" for the primary with citrine as secondary/tertiary colors. I used the Cobra pattern. It just popped out at me the most.

Posted Image

#8 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

Following with interest, if no actual contributions of my own. ^_^

#9 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 11 January 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Following with interest, if no actual contributions of my own. ^_^

Absolutely no problem, I'm sure plenty of people would love to share their unit colors with us.

View PostJulian Langsdorf III, on 11 January 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

Got two more.

Second Sirian Lancers. Ochre-red with green trim is the official standard. I actually found a use for Applejack with this one.

Posted Image

This one is for the Silver Hawk Irregulars. Individual planets contribute their own troops and they use their own paint schemes. Troops from Amity and Concord use a gold with orange trim paint scheme. I went the route of using the color "Sulphur" for the primary with citrine as secondary/tertiary colors. I used the Cobra pattern. It just popped out at me the most.

Posted Image

Yeah the Marik reversed colors on each side seems tough, we just don't have anything for it.

#10 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'm finding that the Shadow Hawk makes for a great "mannequin" for playing with paint schemes. It is tall (especially for a medium), it has a fairly standard humanoid structure, good lines and large torso paneling. So the colors are very prominent. By comparison I tried the same thing on an Atlas and all the gun/missile ports and smaller torso panel sections created a lot of segmentation and black grid lines jammed in there that somewhat shatters the imagery that you are trying to create with the paint scheme.

#11 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostStomp, on 11 January 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Yeah the Marik reversed colors on each side seems tough, we just don't have anything for it.
Kind of surprising, actually. It could be a fun color scheme for some people - certainly somewhat more interesting than the umpteenth version of camouflage.

Perhaps it could be styled after the old heraldic "party per cross" style with inverted colors, using two main colors, and a 3rd for accent.

Posted Image

Someone suggest this to the devs! ^_^

#12 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 11 January 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

Kind of surprising, actually. It could be a fun color scheme for some people - certainly somewhat more interesting than the umpteenth version of camouflage.

Perhaps it could be styled after the old heraldic "party per cross" style with inverted colors, using two main colors, and a 3rd for accent.

Posted Image

Someone suggest this to the devs! ^_^

I think more involved paint schemes so we can make replicas of our favorite military camos is coming. I mean, they've already hit a bunch of the important ones, like a woodland scheme and such. I really want some cool parade schemes though. The segmented painted components of a single color type deal. A guy can only dream haha.

#13 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

I made two more "for funsies" paint schemes. One is a good old mainstay, my COM-2D Captain America: Posted Image

HULK SMAAASH: Posted Image

#14 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Here is a mech from the 12th Atrean Dragoons. Somewhat memorable to me... my username was inspired by Colonel Julian Langsdorf jr. who led this unit and fought the Gray Death Legion on Helm. Their paint scheme is a light gray base with green accents and some solid green panels. I choose Battleship Gray (the standard Gray seemed very light, almost white to me). I used Evergreen for the “Green” and went with the Sherman paint scheme because I liked how it distributed the green trim.

Posted Image

This mech belongs to the First Free Worlds Legionnaires. The Legionnaires use a white with purple and green highlights paint scheme. Technically the First Legion also has a single gold band across the wrists and left torso of each mech. I used Titanium White for the primary color, and Evergreen and Pleione for the secondary and tertiary colors. I really wanted to try the new Crusader paint scheme on something and gave it a go here. I was fairly pleased with the results.

Posted Image

Edited by Julian Langsdorf III, 31 January 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#15 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostJulian Langsdorf III, on 31 January 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Here is a mech from the 12th Atrean Dragoons. Somewhat memorable to me... my username was inspired by Colonel Julian Langsdorf jr. who led this unit and fought the Gray Death Legion on Helm. Their paint scheme is a light gray base with green accents and some solid green panels. I choose Battleship Gray (the standard Gray seemed very light, almost white to me). I used Evergreen for the “Green” and went with the Sherman paint scheme because I liked how it distributed the green trim.

Posted Image

This mech belongs to the First Free Worlds Legionnaires. The Legionnaires use a white with purple and green highlights paint scheme. Technically the First Legion also has a single gold band across the wrists and left torso of each mech. I used Titanium White for the primary color, and Evergreen and Pleione for the secondary and tertiary colors. I really wanted to try the new Crusader paint scheme on something and gave it a go here. I was fairly pleased with the results.

Posted Image

sorry mate your links are broken. I personally upload all mine to Imgur, it lets you link them super easy with the BBcode.

#16 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:14 AM

The JarnFolk aren't a Great House yet...

but soon the Orange and Blue flag will wave proudly over all the Inner Sphere!

Posted Image

#17 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Despite my dislike of the Jihad Era and Dark Age, one cool unit scheme that I like is Stone's Lament. Phracken is pretty spot on if your're attempting to make the color.
A Banshee in the colors of Stone's Lament:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Will9761, 22 March 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#18 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

Oooo...I like the Stone's Lament Banshee. Nice job.

#19 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:08 AM

Word of Blake
Shadow Division:
Posted Image

#20 Nova Latios Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip