Your Friend The R Key: Targeting Tips

49 replies to this topic

#41 Nylartep

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hello and thank you OP for this post. It goes a long way towards my understanding of targeting.

#42 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostNylartep, on 21 April 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Hello and thank you OP for this post. It goes a long way towards my understanding of targeting.

You're quite welcome. The more people who know these things, the better the game will be for everyone.

#43 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Team whose members doesn't target the enemy, loses VERY often :lol:

Edited by VXJaeger, 24 April 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#44 Atomic Funk

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSacramento, Ca., USA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Just reread this post and remembered how much info is of relevance to a light pilot who really wants to help his team win.

Question... when I mark a target and a teamate launches a missle swarn, and then If I loose lock while the missles are in flight, will the missles reaquire lock if i move back in and pick up the lock before they hit?

Often times I am moving quickly to keep up my mark, but will temporarily loose lock due to line of sight etc. If I know I will reaquire the target quickly, do I continue to stay on my original target and assist the missles in flight or do I move on to another target for another missle launch?

#45 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostFri Hjert, on 24 April 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Question... when I mark a target and a teamate launches a missle swarn, and then If I loose lock while the missles are in flight, will the missles reaquire lock if i move back in and pick up the lock before they hit?

Often times I am moving quickly to keep up my mark, but will temporarily loose lock due to line of sight etc. If I know I will reaquire the target quickly, do I continue to stay on my original target and assist the missles in flight or do I move on to another target for another missle launch?

AFAIK, the friendly mech will have to reacquire lock, but once this is done, the missiles will dive straight at the hostile mech from wherever they drifted during the unguided stage. I've heard experienced LRM boats will lose lock on purpose to slingshot their missiles behind steep cover, so I'd imagine your situation would result in a similar thing.

Edit: I have yet to confirm this, will probably try to group up on TS this weekend to test and see what happens but if anyone else knows, please chime in.

Edited by DodgerH2O, 24 April 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#46 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

The "R" key is magic. Honestly.

It makes missiles fall out of the sky a lot of the time.

#47 ramp4ge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

Why is it that I can have an enemy 'mech 200 meters infront of me untargetable? No red triangle, no signature on the mini-map. This happens to me a lot. Is this the effects of ECM?

Also, when people say "lock your targets", does it help if I'm farther back in the line and target an enemy 'Mech?

#48 SortaSane

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

View Postramp4ge, on 25 April 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

Why is it that I can have an enemy 'mech 200 meters infront of me untargetable? No red triangle, no signature on the mini-map. This happens to me a lot. Is this the effects of ECM?

Also, when people say "lock your targets", does it help if I'm farther back in the line and target an enemy 'Mech?

Yep, that's ECM. You can counter with a TAG, BAP, NARC, run your own ECM in disruption mode, or just hit the enemy mech with a PPC for a few seconds of ECM disruption. Of course, nothing stops you from just shooting the mech you see, you just won't be able to share target info.

It helps if you lock a mech no one else has locked (empty triangle) when you're in the back of a group, but a better way to help with targeting is to position yourself to keep a target locked longer. In fast mechs you can sneak around the side of the fight to keep LOS from a different angle and give your LRM boats a few more guided volleys on a target before retreating. There are also modules you can research in pilot skills to extend the time you have a target locked once it leaves your line-of-sight.

#49 mithril coyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

one trick i've learned for direct fire shots at range is to use the red box as an aiming aid.. hit R for the target you want, and generally if you aim to hit the center of the red box you'll hit your target. its a lot easier than trying to judge the movement and location of a tiny little half viable dot on the screen.

#50 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Posted Image

Praise be to pressing R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users