Your Friend The R Key: Targeting Tips

49 replies to this topic

#1 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

(Edit Nov. 2017: I recently returned to many changes. I want to say that this information was current as of the time it was written but I have not yet included gameplay changes and certain details are no longer true. I still feel that this guide is well worth reading.)

First things first. TARGET YOUR ENEMY. The default key is "R". I suggest mapping it to something very handy. As handy as your weapon groups and throttle, at least. R works for me, as I use WASD for navigation and can easily target enemies while moving.

Now, onto the meat of the post:
I've had many chances to spectate and noticed something disconcerting. So many entirely decent players either do not Target at all, or Target poorly. I suspect much of this is due to PGI's crutch for new players where the game will Target for you, if you hold your reticle over an untargeted enemy mech. This is not always optimal. The purpose of this post is to share and collect information on how the in-game Targeting system works and how to use it to your advantage. (NOTE: I intend to cover ECM near the end of the post, most of what I say at the beginning will be true in all cases where ECM is not present, but may be changed significantly by the presence of ECM on the battlefield.)

Targeting Basics:
An enemy who is not targeted has a hollow red triangle above their mech. This means that YOU have line of sight and that the enemy mech is within your sensor range. YOU can see the mech on your minimap, as can any of your allied mechs who ALSO have line of sight on the enemy and sensors with sufficient range.

An enemy who is Targeted has a solid red triangle above their mech. ALL FRIENDLY MECHS can see a Targeted enemy on their minimap and HUD. In addition, any mech who is currently Targeting that mech will acquire in a short time a readout of the enemy mech's loadout and damage readout ("Paperdoll").

You can Target any mech who has a hollow red triangle (within your line of sight), or any mech that one or more of your allies have targeted (mechs with solid red triangles). If a Targeted mech leaves line of sight or moves out of your sensor range, you will lose Targeting after a brief time interval. In addition, a mech that is shut down either by overheating or deliberately powering down is unable to be Targeted.

Targeting and Missile Lock:
Guided missiles, which include Long Range Missiles (LRMs) and Streak Short Range Missiles (SSRMs) require the user to Target an enemy on which they wish to use guided fire. After some amount of time a Lock is acquired and the missiles, when launched, will attempt to correct course to hit the Targeted enemy.

(Note that LRMs may be "dumbfired", that is fired without guidance. If you do this they will attempt to hit the point currently under your reticle/crosshair. SSRMs may not be dumbfired.)

What does Targeting Get Me?
Firstly, it shares the physical location and map coordinates of the Targeted enemy mech. If you do not Target the mech you are facing, your teammates may not know about it at all. Secondly, it shows you what weapons the enemy carries and the state of its armor and internal structure. Thirdly, it allows you and friendly mechs to acquire Missile Lock on the Targeted mech.

While this sounds simple, the knowledge communicated by the First and Second listed uses will make or break a battle. Knowing where your enemies are at any given time, what their weapons are (including effective range) and where they are weakest gives you an immense advantage.

Targeting is easy. The simplest way to use it is to Target the enemy you are currently firing at. This shows you that enemy's weak spots (such as a weak side torso you can use to remove half its weaponry) and lets your team know 1.) Where your enemy is and what direction his legs are facing, and 2.) That you are currently focusing on taking down that particular enemy mech. This contributes greatly to "Focus Fire" situations.

A side note: Enemy mechs who have been Targeted have a "Target Designation" on the top of their red triangle. This is a letter from A to L, given in order of being found. This can be helpful for communicating information quickly. Instead of "Focus on the Atlas" you can say "Focus target B". In particular, when the enemy team has more than one of a given mech chassis, say 4 Atlai, you can use the Target Designation to distinguish between them.

Advanced Targeting
While simply Targeting each mech you are fighting is helpful to both you and your teammates, there are several techniques that greatly help your team's situational awareness. None of these are terribly difficult to do, but used properly they can easily make the difference between victory and defeat.

Minigame: "Fill in the Empty Triangle"
Sometimes it may be more helpful to your team if, instead of Targeting a mech who is already being Targeted by your teammates (has a full red triangle), you focus on those not yet Targeted. By Targeting an untargeted mech you mark their location on the minimap for your teammates, which is immensely helpful. In theory, with a 12 v 12 situation, each teammate could Target a different enemy mech and thusly your team would know exactly where the entire enemy team is at all times. Sounds great right? In actuality I've found it's unlikely you'll have more than 3 or 4 enemy mechs Targeted at once, and often there is only 1. Every additional Targeted mech gives your team realtime information on that mech's movements and orientation. In a brawl or ambush situation this can keep your teammates from exposing their vulnerable rear armor to an enemy mech. If the Targeted mech is a long-range "sniper" or LRM boat it can also help your teammates avoid the enemy firing range.

Priority Target
Normally I recommend switching Targets to whatever you are focusing on at a given time. Sometimes however there is one particular mech that may be a huge threat to you or your teammates. In this situation you may want to avoid Targeting a new mech. Even if your currently Targeted enemy mech leaves your line of sight or sensor range, and thus you lose Target info you will immediately reacquire Target on that mech when it moves back into your range. This is very helpful for light or medium mechs who like to sneak around behind cover then pop out and take potshots, as you will know almost immediately when they are nearby merely by seeing their Target readout appear at the top of your screen. In addition, your teammates will be able to see their location on the minimap and thus potentially be able to react by avoiding or neutralizing the threat.

Panic Spam/"Distress Signal"
Sometimes you turn a corner and run into an entire lance or even the whole enemy team. This happens more often to mechs who choose to "Scout" but can happen to any mech who turns around the wrong bit of terrain. While you take evasive action I recommend spamming the "R" key (or your current Targeting keybind). This causes several red triangles to flicker in quick succession on your teammates HUD and minimaps, alerting them to the fact that there are many enemy mechs in a location. By doing this, you can help to prevent your teammates from walking into overwhelming fire or an ambush situation.

"Echolocation"/Quick-Targeting
Similar to Panic Spam, but in a different situation. As a scout mech I often will be in a position to see several enemy mechs (say lined up on a ridge in firing positions) but lack time to relay the coordinates to my team. In this instance I will attempt to Target each enemy mech for a split second as I move past them. Even though the information shared vanishes quickly, this can convey the general layout of the enemy formation in a very short window of time.

For instance a blob
X X X
X X X X
X X X

looks and responds very differently from a sniper line
X X X X X X X

ECM and You:
ECM generates a "bubble" with 180m radius centered around the equipped mech. Mechs within this bubble behave differently in regards to Targeting abilities. ECM has its own special set of rules, counters, and mechanics but for the purpose of this post I will only detail its effect on Targeting.

For a "Friendly" ECM bubble (one generated by your teammates) all covered friendly mechs gain certain abilities, for a "Hostile" ECM bubble (one generated by your enemy) all covered friendly mechs lose certain abilities.

Friendly ECM shows up as an "Eye" style graphic on your HUD and a similar icon appearing to your teammates on their HUD when viewing your location indicator (Blue triangle). The range at which a mech covered by Friendly ECM may be detected is 200m, rather than the 800m default. This means that a covered mech cannot be Targeted by an enemy further away than 200m, which in turn prevents Missile Lock from being acquired as well.

Hostile ECM will cause your HUD to flicker and a "Low Signal" type graphic to appear on your HUD as well as a similar icon appearing to your teammates on their HUD when viewing your location indicator. Hostile ECM prevents the ability to share Targeting with your teammates. You may still Target an enemy, but your teammates will not gain any information on the Target's location or facing as long as you remain in the Hostile ECM bubble. In addition, you will not be able to benefit from any Target information shared by teammates while disrupted by Hostile ECM. Hostile ECM will also prevent you from acquiring Missile Lock, regardless of line of sight and sensor range.

Using a TAG laser on an ECM cloaked enemy will allow you to Target that enemy as long as the TAG remains on the mech. If Hostile ECM within 180m is disrupting your mech however you will not be able to use your TAG laser to share Target information or gain Missile Lock.

Additional Info: Sensor Range, BAP, NARC, and Modules
Base sensor range for a standard mech is 800m.

Equipping a Beagle Active Probe (BAP) increases sensor range by 25%, to a total of 1000m. The Sensor Range Pilot Module increases sensor range by 15% or 25% (upgraded) to a maximum of 1000m. A mech with both BAP and the upgraded Sensor Range module will have a maximum sensor range of 1200m. A BAP equipped mech also can detect and Target shut down mechs out to a range of 120m.

NARC missiles attach to an enemy mech and will allow all Friendly mechs the benefits of Targeting. This includes Locational Data (HUD and minimap icon) Target Info (loadout and paperdoll) and Missile Lock. ECM counters NARC effects within its radius but a NARC'd mech who loses the protection of ECM will once more be affected.

UPDATE 4/14: As of Mar 18: NARC Weapon Update
  • NARC no longer gets knocked off a 'Mech via damage.
  • NARC counters ECM while the NARC is still active.
The Sensor Range module will also increase the distance at which you can detect and Target enemy mechs covered by ECM, to a maximum of 250m when upgraded.

The 360 Target Retention Pilot Module allows an equipped mech to retain Target on an enemy within 200m using a 360 degree line of sight rather than the normal forward facing arc.

The Target Info Gathering Pilot Module reduces by 25% the amount of time needed to acquire detailed information (weapon loadout and damage readout) on the Targeted enemy mech.

The Target Decay Pilot Module increases the amount of time you can hold Targeting and Missile Lock on a mech once it leaves your line of sight. This is helpful for many mechs, not just guided missile users, and often works just as well as the 360 Target Retention module for the purpose of mechs who have gone behind you.

UAVs give locational information about all enemy mechs within a circular area centered on the drone and below it in elevation. This is available to all friendly mechs and allows Missile Locks on enemies in the UAV's radius, but friendly mechs will not acquire full Target Info such as loadout and damage paperdoll. The base radius of UAV detection is 240m and may be upgraded to a 300m radius. Note that UAVs detect ECM covered mechs as well.

Edit 1/24/14: Completed. Inserted NARC effects on the Targeting system. I intend to try to keep this guide updated if Targeting mechanics are changed or possibly to reflect new strategies and information related to Targeting.

Edit 4/14: Added updated NARC info.

Comments and discussion are welcome below.

Edited by DodgerH2O, 17 November 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#2 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

unless your missile boating you can go a whole match without it.

just saying :P

#3 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

View Postsneeking, on 10 January 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

just saying :)

I hope you're joking, as that statement and opinion is EXACTLY why I'm writing this guide. If you go an entire match without Targeting, you are handicapping your whole team. Not exaggerating. Unless your teammates are all facing the exact same direction for the entire match they will not all be able to see the same enemy mechs. Situational awareness is key to victory and by targeting a mech you let EVERYONE know where that mech is. Example: AC40 Jagermech? Keep him Targeted and he can't sneak up on anyone paying attention to their minimap and overlay.

#4 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

no im not joking I only use r now when im in an a1c or centD for the streaks...

quite frankly I get irritated when im told to lock now....

#5 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

You shot yourself in the foot without the targeting information.

#6 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

View Postsneeking, on 11 January 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

I'm sorry - but that's like getting irritated when your teammates tell you not to shoot them with your test firing.

Even for your own benefit - you should always target so you know what to aim for. You get to see their paperdoll - and you know whether any of their components are cored etc.

#7 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Depending on how your hand sits on your keybaord, i would reccomend binding the key that is closest to your thumb as target (probably space bar, or maybe left alt) and tapping it instinctivley every time you hear that little sensor bleep of a new contact.

Try to build up a mental image of the enemy mechs, and remember any pertinent info on possoble weak spots. If i target a mech that i'm pretty sure has an XL engine and it has a weak side torso, i can make an educated guess as to where to shoot a mech of the same configuration even if i don't have a target lock the next time i get a shot. I've get kills from snap shots like this quite often.

If you have a LRM support boat, then they will likely fire on whatever they see on their sensors, so a mech that is lit up for longest will get the most rain. If you're a brawler then mainatining a solid lock on your primary target will benefit you as it will be taking physical damage, and be psycing out the pilot as he's hearing the incoming missle warning all the time.

Bottom line: If you're not targetting the enemy, you're just a target.

#8 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

OMG I love this OP!!!!!

Yes yes yes 1000 times YES! This is basic rule of mech operations day one lesson one of weapons training!

Now, there is some very STUPID rumor going around I've heard twice that if you lock an enemy the enemy gets lock on you.

WRONG! Lock that bad boy. He's unaware and cannot see your lock. A TAG laser he might see, but if you're not using Tag, they're none the wiser.

If you think it's stupid to lock a target you see right in front of you, it gives you tactical advantage, knowing his weapons loadout, where he's hurt worst and if you are able to shoot there, you should kill them quicker or take off componants (more Cbils/XP). You get Cbills/XP for spotting assists if someone then decides to help you out by LRMing your target using your lock as well.

So where on God's green Earth is the downside???

As a side note, LRM pilots with more than 20 tubes, let your teammates know you've made the commitment to the weapon by just typing "LRM##" (fill in the total tubes) in team chat at the ready screen so they know how many tubes you can bring to bear on a target and that way encourage them to get locks. If you don't tell em, they'll assume you're just another brawler 99% of the time.

This thread fills me full of squee.

View PostDodgerH2O, on 11 January 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

I hope you're joking, as that statement and opinion is EXACTLY why I'm writing this guide. If you go an entire match without Targeting, you are handicapping your whole team. Not exaggerating. Unless your teammates are all facing the exact same direction for the entire match they will not all be able to see the same enemy mechs. Situational awareness is key to victory and by targeting a mech you let EVERYONE know where that mech is. Example: AC40 Jagermech? Keep him Targeted and he can't sneak up on anyone paying attention to their minimap and overlay.

Edited by Kjudoon, 11 January 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#9 Cael-Rhythyr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 188 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

View Postsneeking, on 10 January 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

just saying :)

So, you don't lock at all unless you are in a couple of particular mechs? For an entire game?

Tactically, this is a huge error for several reasons. Firstly, when immediately facing multiple bogeys, it would make sense to know which of them is the larger threat or the easier kill. Being aware of the situation at hand is hugely important, but accordingly not to you. Knowing that target A will go down with a scratch to it's CT, that target B is out of effective range to damage you, or target C is unscathed and packing armegeddon while dialing it all in on you. Knowing those things would allow you to make a crucial decision which would benefit you immensely. But that information doesn't interest you. Not in the least. Instead, you will allow the two mechs in firing range to focus on you and give you their full armament of weaponry - while you play a ball&cup game of merely guessing which one to fire upon.

Nice strategy there Sneeking.

There is only one reason I can see for that way of thinking, and that is someone wanting to Rambo it in this game. To be top dog with the highest score at the end of the match. A bragger's delight. That is not team play, and I would only hope my team runs into a team full of people like you.......you'll get stomped very quickly.

The sad part of doing that is that you are completely crippling you and your team in the match. The other sad part is you are losing out on kills you could have had. With that style of game play, there are more matches your team could have won than lost, and a win generates more C-Bills. So, you like losing, not getting maximum kills available, running blind, and grinding longer for less C-Bills. Very effective approach.

All for what? Ego?

I have seen this mentality in the game and I think it is because so many of the FPS's through the years don't require more than a twitch to play. No thinking whatsoever. It may work in Doom, Quake, CoD, Battlefield 4, etc., but it is not effective in MWO.

Teamwork, communication and focused fire are crucial elements in MWO to be effective. Without locking a target, none of those can be employed.

You want a better KDR or W/L record? Try incorporating those and see how it benefits you and your team. You might be surprised, but then again probably not - as your narcissism won't get it's dose of delusion otherwise.

#10 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

So ah... wouldn't you like to know which enemies have weak armour and where? Seeing red CT or Side Torsos is very handy to know even when not using missiles. Just saying :) .

#11 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

An idea: remap Target Lock key to Q. It's closer and much easier to spam. And it's also the spot/mark key for like five other shooter games.

#12 Arasirsul

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Oh, sure. I'm right there with you I mean, if I actually locked my targets, my teammates might know where the enemy is. I don't want them to know where my enemy is! That's MY target! Go find your own target! The lock target key shouldn't be remapped to R-- it should be remapped to something on somebody else's keyboard! I once accidentally locked a target, and sure enough, five seconds later, in comes a hail of LRMs, and that jerk STOLE MY KILL! Geez, LRM boats! Find your own dang target! This is my game, my glory, my kill! You want teamwork? Go shoot somebody else! You're the one who's not being a team player! If you losers would actually pull your own weight instead of always trying to steal my kills, maybe we'd win a match every now and again.

Sincerely,
A. Clueless Maroon

Edited by Arasirsul, 11 January 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Great post, Dodger. Information is power and targeting gives you the info.

Two things:

1) I love the Target Info Gathering module, too, because especially on a light fly-by it can make the difference between seeing the hole for a killing/crippling blow and just removing armor.

2) I use Mouse 3 (the scroll wheel). Targeting is as important as firing and I want it that at-hand.

#14 Michaelson Snow

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 54 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

+1 just seems sooo inappropriate for this. good one. And OP, Great post!

#15 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

So you don't like giving teammates information, let alone knowing what areas of a mech are weak so you can take it out faster and letting LRM support come in?

The R key is more than just targeting for you, it's a way to let your team kow where the enemy is.

#16 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

So you just shoot the CT of a enemy mech when the target information would clearly show you that he has to use a xl engine and his side torso is already down to deep red internals?
Congratulations, this makes you a bad player.

#17 mikelovskij

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 11 January 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

An idea: remap Target Lock key to Q. It's closer and much easier to spam. And it's also the spot/mark key for like five other shooter games.

I prefer to put it on E like in MW4, also Q is useful for seeing allies info through the buildings

#18 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

You'll find this discussed here, too:
http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Kaijin, 12 January 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#19 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

1. Target mechs that are already targeted (filled-in red triangle).

2. Target mechs that are already damaged.

If you're just running around shooting whatever pops up and not even targeting anything, you're asking to get your team curbstomped. Because the result of that philosophy is your team spreading their fire all over the enemy team and not actually killing any of them, while they're focusing on one or two of your mechs at a time and actually succeeding in taking away your firepower. That's the key. Dead mechs equals less firepower and an immediate swing of win probability.

By following the two steps above, you're basically "focusing fire for effect" without needing to type a single word. Players NOT doing this are one of the biggest reasons we see so many unbalanced matches in the game (and thus so many misguided complaints about the matchmaker). Start focusing fire in this way and I guarantee you'll see more balanced matches.

Gosh, we need to get this thread famous...please pin it, mods...I really believe it has the ability to change the game's landscape a bit.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 12 January 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#20 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

You know, we who are in units and play competatively should work to get PuG members up to speed as fast as possible to increase the level of our training when we go out and practice lance tactics with them as well as play with our friends. I do love this thread for just that. If I could actually some day count on my fellow puggies to follow targeting, focus firing, staying out of the PuG Zapper at Mount Derp on Terra Therma, not chase the squirrel and RTB if basecap drops below 25%.... I'd be so full of squee I'd not know what to do with myself.

If you're reading this thread and sneering at it in some form of superiority... you reallly need to ask yourself what game you are really playing. This ain't a "Rambo" shooter where one mech carries all. You contribute about 8% to the victory of your team, and if the other 92% don't hold up their end, you are just going to be the last one to die if you play it smart.

Be a team player and watch your success, reward and reputation grow.

Now if a mod would pin this bad boy of a thread, that'd be awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users