What Happened To Amd's Cap (Catalyst Application Profiles)?

6 replies to this topic

#1 FallguySoldier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Okay so for whatever reason AMD's CAPs are no longer available for download. Anyone know why, or where they might be located on the official website?

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

I've seen people post responses from AMD on forums when they've asked, and they imply that you don't need to download the CAPs anymore, so it's my guess that they've now been integrated into the driver packages themselves.

Frankly, I'm not sure why AMD didn't do that years ago.

Edited by Catamount, 15 January 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostCatamount, on 15 January 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

I've seen people post responses from AMD on forums when they've asked, and they imply that you don't need to download the CAPs anymore, so it's my guess that they've now been integrated into the driver packages themselves.

I'm pretty sure that is the case. I remember reading a news article about it a while back.

#4 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

this is from AMD's website.

An AMD Catalyst Application Profile (CAP) is a set of instructions for specific settings, and adjustments that are made dynamically to the AMD Catalyst Driver when a supported game is launched. CAPs are designed to enhance a game's performance and graphics quality when using a compatible AMD Radeon series graphics card. AMD CAPs are packaged with the AMD Catalyst Driver, and the most current version of a CAP will be available in the most current version of the AMD Catalyst Driver (including the lastest BETA version).
Please review the release notes of the AMD Catalyst Driver to determine if changes were made to an existing CAP, or a new CAP was added.
Please note that not all AMD Radeon Series graphics cards and/or Operating Systems will be compatible with the most current AMD Catalyst Driver.

Edited by Shamous13, 15 January 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#5 FallguySoldier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Ah I see, thanks guys! I was out of the loop for a while regarding GPUs and stuff so I didn't know what happened to the CAPs.

View PostCatamount, on 15 January 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Agreed. I always kind of found it a hassle that the CAPs were separate downloads.

#6 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

The CAPs did not need a WHQL Certificate so they could release them immediately for new games with new WHQL-Drivers still many weeks away.
Now that they have changed their release schedule and offer more Beta-Drivers they may not feel pressure to offer CAPs separate.

#7 OlegSer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

Ok, Just in case anyone else will start looking for this. There is an app called "Gaming Evolved" or Raptr that is supplied with Catalyst suits. It will optimize AMD settings for your games using online profiles. So CAP is a legacy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users