Ppc/ac20. Well.

43 replies to this topic

#1 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

So I have to admit, I've always tried my best to NOT use the cheese builds/FOTM mechs. In saying that, tonight I decided to take out the PPC/AC20 Highlander. Completely surprised at how well I did; consistently got 2+ kills and 6+ assists per game. Intriguing...

So I decided to try this build out on my Cataphract: same results. It's become apparent to me that this FOTM is extremely powerful.In saying that, I don't know if anything should be done. It's completely bonkers that this build is so absurdly powerful.

I know nothing will be done, but DAMN.

#2 Adiuvo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

That build actually doesn't work well as well anymore. There are better options.

Man, fotm really does trickle down...

#3 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Non cheese builds work just fine vs non cheese builds, but sadly if you set your map rotation to skirmish where you don't need to do objectives, then cheese builds become the norm and the only way to compete is to use one yourself.

I'm finding this out the hard way where a few hours of 400-700 matches with objectives turns into 150-250 as soon as somebody wants to start running skirmish. Hell, if it gets any worse they might as well rename skirmish to "hardcore" mode and I'll be more than happy to avoid it because at the moment with all the cheese focused just on that style of play it feels like skirmish mode is the "pvp" server of MMORPGs. MWO would benefit greatly by lumping "those types" of players together so they don't pollute normal pugging further.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 18 January 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

Non cheese builds work just fine vs non cheese builds, but sadly if you set your map rotation to skirmish where you don't need to do objectives, then cheese builds become the norm and the only way to compete is to use one yourself.

I'm finding this out the hard way where a few hours of 400-700 matches with objectives turns into 150-250 as soon as somebody wants to start running skirmish. Hell, if it gets any worse they might as well rename skirmish to "hardcore" mode and I'll be more than happy to avoid it because at the moment with all the cheese focused just on that style of play it feels like skirmish mode is the "pvp" server of MMORPGs. MWO would benefit greatly by lumping "those types" of players together so they don't pollute normal pugging further.

Renaming "Skirmish" as "Hardcore" might not be such a bad idea. All the "munchkins" would immediately gravitate to it.

#5 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 18 January 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

Lol burrrrrrn

#6 Biglead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostGrey Black, on 18 January 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

So I have to admit, I've always tried my best to NOT use the cheese builds/FOTM mechs. In saying that, tonight I decided to take out the PPC/AC20 Highlander. Completely surprised at how well I did; consistently got 2+ kills and 6+ assists per game. Intriguing...

So I decided to try this build out on my Cataphract: same results. It's become apparent to me that this FOTM is extremely powerful.In saying that, I don't know if anything should be done. It's completely bonkers that this build is so absurdly powerful.

I know nothing will be done, but DAMN.

TL;DR: I'm a horrible player until I used the same meta crutch as the self proclaimed "top tier" players. Now I'm awesome and owning better players not because of my skill, but because of game mechanics. I didn't know I was such a great player and now you should listen to my opinion.

#7 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

The game right now is as balanced as it has ever been. Granted, I despise the AC/PPC JJ meta we have; which I guess makes me a hypocrite since I use a softened version of it myself (pair of PPCs on a Jester, but no one really cares about a pop-tarting Catapult).

I think the weapons themselves are okay, it's the addition of jump-jets that make these builds so powerful. I've fought many Miseries or Highlanders that don't equip JJ's and they're vastly easier to easier to kill.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

The munchkins that use these die just fine to me. So no harm done as far as I am concerned, especially because I do not do 12-mans and as such do not give a hoot at what happens there. ;)

#9 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

if we lost the PPC and only had the erppc the meta would be fine. erppc is quite hot and this would give pulses & other weapons more room to shine.

the normal PPC is simply too cool and too effective in it's optimal range. the erppc was OP at 10 heat, and it's no surprise the PPC is still OP in optimal range as the brawling weapon of choice.

#10 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

I played for the first time in several months tonight. Blackjack hitbox CT is still terrible after all this time? Why do I bother with this **** seriously.

#11 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Please tell me what is not OP so I can use it and feel like real man.

It is flamers+narc build, right? But can I use pulse lasers and gauss or not?

#12 Arahantius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostViges, on 19 January 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

No, you can't actually field any mech with weapons. You are required to just run straight into mechs and try to kill them with collision damage. Plus, if you can do it with an infantry unit instead (pity they don't exist) all the better.

Edited by Arahantius, 19 January 2014 - 01:23 AM.

#13 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostArahantius, on 19 January 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

You are required to just run straight into mechs and try to kill them with collision damage.

It works, I already did that in open beta.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 19 January 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#14 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

Welcome to "Mech Sniper Online".

Tutorial 3: Weapons, Ballistics.

Betty: "Please note AC and PPC weapons are really the only weapons you need in MWO. I suggest skipping the rest of the weapons tutorials as these are there to provide you with appropriately less useful builds to act as various stylised pinata for your sniping pleasure. Do ensure where possible to pick the largest platform available to maximise weapon use and a zoom module is provided for your viewing pleasure.

Please note the designers have also provided jump jets to add variety into the game play. Now you can also consider the idea of sniping whilst moving and jumping instead of just standing still. We find this doubles the number of competent game play styles in MWO as a result.

Have a nice day."

#15 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:25 AM

Question is with these build declarations is were you in a premade or pugging? One takes skill the other takes gangland tactics and is easy mode. Pug it and see if it works.

#16 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 19 January 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

Question is with these build declarations is were you in a premade or pugging? One takes skill the other takes gangland tactics and is easy mode. Pug it and see if it works.

Wow, you really do hate people who have friends or are at least sociable huh?

Never occurred to you that working together well is also a skill that can be learned and improved upon?

Seriously, stop rushing out into the open by yourself and then screaming and whining in-game and the forums about dying. The best part is I know for a fact that you whine about pre-mades killing you when you died to PUGs. I know this because we were the only pre-made in the match (the Marik/LNW lance turned out to be random) and we didn't kill you but you immediately blamed pre-mades and then us specifically when we called you out on some other BS.

I've seen it twice in person, and heard from others that you just rush out by yourself, die within 2 minutes and then complain. Yet you come on these forums and try to act like you are some uber-skilled player being persecuted by the evil try-hard pre-mades with their "gangland tactics". It's called Focus Fire and it's not a new thing.

Stop trying to act like PUGging is the true MWO, and playing with friends is cheating and easy mode. I avoid online sandbox RTS type games that involve PvP simply because I don't have friends that play, so I am at the mercy of the first truly organized group that comes along. I don't hit their forums and complain and whine. That's how those games are meant to be, and so I just move on or play till i am annihilated.

Here I got over my aversion to TS and applied (and was accepted) to the DHB. Turns out to be a wonderful thing. I have drop mates whenever I want which is a good thing.

Also, pre-made /= I win!! Even when we coordinate our mechs, ie all run the same type or complementary types, we don't always win. We usually do have the most kills and often high damage, but that doesn't mean much if the other two lances combined don't match us.

View PostNoesis, on 19 January 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

Welcome to "Mech Sniper Online".

Tutorial 3: Weapons, Ballistics.

Betty: "Please note AC and PPC weapons are really the only weapons you need in MWO. I suggest skipping the rest of the weapons tutorials as these are there to provide you with appropriately less useful builds to act as various stylised pinata for your sniping pleasure. Do ensure where possible to pick the largest platform available to maximise weapon use and a zoom module is provided for your viewing pleasure.

Please note the designers have also provided jump jets to add variety into the game play. Now you can also consider the idea of sniping whilst moving and jumping instead of just standing still. We find this doubles the number of competent game play styles in MWO as a result.

Have a nice day."

I love yelling "Pull!!!" when I see a jump sniper. They rarely change positions, and once you see them come up, it's easy to fire a shot and catch them on the way down.

The trick is to move each time so that by the time they see you and shoot, you have already fired and are moving out of sight, thus avoiding most if not all the return fire. Plus if they are in a "sniper duel" with someone else they may not even notice you.

#17 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 19 January 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

This is a game based on an IP which has centered around lance combat for nearly 30 years. It has never and will never be a game where you can rambo around and wipe the whole map. Go back to twitchy console games if that is what you are looking for. Learn to coordinate with your randoms or die trying. It's as simple as that.

Edited by Bagheera, 19 January 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#18 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostViges, on 19 January 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

I had someone last match using a Stalker with 55 LRMs and a NARC. Zero close weapons.

He also had no idea LRMs do no damage inside 180m. I laughed as he was slowly burnt to death by a damaged Wolverine rocking a single medium laser and SRM 6, spewing missiles uselessly at the thing while it humped his leg.

But yeah, I'm watching the premade lances. You see a lot of PPCs, a lot of AC's, and a few Streaks and ML's/ERLL's here and there for flavor. Usually heavy/assault lances, it's kinda a dead giveaway when you're fielding four freaking Miseries.

#19 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

That build actually doesn't work well as well anymore. There are better options.

I say this because I usually actively try not to use the FOTM. If I find a build I like I keep it based on my piloting style, which usually involves high speeds and a big cannon. So for me to actually decide to take one out for a spin is unusual.

The build may not be as effective, but it certainly still is powerful.

#20 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostBagheera, on 19 January 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

This is a game based on an IP which has centered around lance combat for nearly 30 years. It has never and will never be a game where you can rambo around and wipe the whole map. Go back to twitchy console games if that is what you are looking for. Learn to coordinate with your randoms or die trying. It's as simple as that.

Co-ordinating with random PUGs is attempting to guess the right number in a narrow range as your partners randomly cycle from 1-100...and you have to guess within 2 either way. Honestly, for a PUG whatever works best for them solo is often their best odds of at least coming off another stomping with the solace of having killed someone.

It's the Hunchback IIC effect. PUGs feel the need to kill at least one 'Mech to have "done something", so strap on them big guns and maybe you get lucky. I've taken to mounting an AC/20 on anything that'll accept it. It was actually working better than what I've used in premades...because right now, if I'm running anything but my top end heavies/assaults (and I'd like to exp up my mediums), it is very likely that my lifespan on engagement is measured in "see opponent group under ECM, fire once, end up crippled/dead from return fire" because the other side is top heavy beyond belief. Alternatively, they're the ones stuck and the guy in that Wolverine trying to fight me in my Shadow Hawk is being drilled by two Highlanders.

The matchmaker is batty when it comes to matches, especially in low-ELO ranges.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users