These Awesomes Are.

93 replies to this topic

#1 Dry Spill

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Many people do not take awesomes seriously, because the top-end meta users don't run them. That's fine by me, my style is to play unorthodox styles and make the best out of it, to which the Awesomes fit perfectly. The best skill an Awesome pilot can have is situational awareness! All of these builds will drop like a collapsed barn door if you don't play patiently and wait for the right opportunities. They'll come.

In this thread I'll go over the three Awesome builds and their strategies I've had the most success with. Feel free to critique, advice is always welcome!

First off:Long Range Build

The 8R is the best LRM-boat around. Stay with the group and stick to cover, when the fighting starts try to look for an angle where you can slightly flank the enemy and rain LRM's on them. At 60 LRM's (Linked into 2 groups of two LRM-15's to avoid ghost heat) you can rip up anything in only a few salvos.

Modules: Advanced Target Decay & Advanced Sensor Range

Tips:

-Stay near your group! Anyone scanning you will try to close to within 180 meters. Then you're dead. Every step away from your group is more damage done to you before you get close enough for your friends to scare them off.

-Don't bother putting any lasers on your mech, a single medium laser won't scare off that Raven circling you, and that extra ton is 180 more missiles ready to cause ~200 more damage during the fight.

-Wait until the fighting starts before opening up. The ideal range of your targets is between 400 and 600 meters. Always start with TAG and let the enemies focus on their own targets before raining the LRM's on them.

-Don't bother firing at anything lighter than 40 tons. Even with TAG your missiles will only serve to blow up the area immediately behind that spider; giving them an awesome heroic background at the cost of your ammunition.

Dry Spill's Favorite memory in this mech: An enemy Atlas D-DC and I squared off in Tourmaline, seems we were both trying to outflank the other. With no cover easily available we opened fire, his two large lasers spread damage around my Awesome's arms as I did the wobble-dance. Three volleys of 60 LRM's took him from pristine to scrap in in 12 seconds.

Build Number Two: Medium Range Build

This has been a favorite recently, designed to snipe early game with the 2 PPC's and the 2 LPLS to back it up in close. Ideally you'll stay with the pack until a fight starts, then lay on the damage with whichever weapon group is best suited for the range.

Tips:

-The ideal range for this mech is 200 to 400 meters so as to deal full damage with all weapons.

-On hot maps, change your weapon groups to cycling instead of alpha to save heat.

-During Brawls, torso twist to spread incoming damage. Your left arm is especially useful to take damage.

-Watch the way the battle is playing out on the map. Using your PPC's to 'block' an open area of the map with a very visible threat can guide the enemy where you want them to go.

-Know the mech you're shooting at, and take it apart. Both sets of weapons in this build can be pinpointed to removing an arm, leg or the shoulder on that Misery, removing half their armament.

Modules: Advanced Zoom, Target Info Gathering & Your choice of Cool Shot.

Finally: Close Range Build

Yes, it's the much maligned Pretty Baby. My build is very similar to the one that won the Assault Vs. The World. I swapped out the Large Pulse Laser for another MPLAS to save heat and bump up the engine. Also, the arm's SRMs should be a pair of 4 to match the tubage for faster torso-twisting burst.

Aethos explained the strategy very well in his thread listed earlier, but I'll add my own tips:

-You're the wildcard. You can either stick with the group or use the PB's incredible speed to make a long flank around the enemy. Use your best judgement on reading the battlefield and don't get caught by a pack of lights.

-Watch for enemy LRM boats, and if they're ever too far away from the main force, sneak up on them! 46 points of damage to their rear center torso every 3-4 seconds adds up fast!

-You're a sneaky rogue! Don't be afraid to run ahead of the pack, find some cover and power down until the enemy advances past you.

Dry Spill's Favorite memory in this mech: I watched enemy Ilya Muromets walk through the cave on Forest Colony, not noticing me powered down near the waterfall. As I revved up to full throttle behind him I alpha'd into his back and made to pass his right side. Thinking I was farther behind him, he turns left to face me; keeping his ruined back facing me for another alpha strike.

From a fresh paint job to shrapnel in 4 seconds, without ever seeing what hit 'em.

#2 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Even though I've no experience with the Awesome, I must comment that those legs need much much much more armor. Otherwise you're in for some explosions.

#3 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

My current favourite build is my AWS-9M (armour total correct, distribute to taste). Since the hitbox changes i've found the XL engined Awesome to be a death trap, so i now play my 9m like a super upgraded 8 series. 3 Large laser is just about manageable with the ghost heat, and the 3 different weapon groups mean that you always have something to fire when you round a corner to face an enemy.

It still requires a lot of work to make it work, have to be sneaky and hide amongst the team, but when you aren't the centre of attention you can put out a lot of fire. It's got a pretty impressive alpha too, when things get desperate, and it zombies better than any other variant if you're good at spreading incoming fire.

I generally run Advanced sensor range, target info gathering at 360 target. Nice to see that atlas that bit farther out, where to shoot him for best effect sooner, and what state he's in when you have to reverse your turn.

Also, never be afraid to run away only to come back later. The Awesome can't hold its own in a stand up fight, so disengage and get behind friends and let them take the heat while you recover and cool down, before getting stuck in again.

The other build i ran for a while is my Super 8Q. Needs a fair amount of careful consideration to positioning and heat management, but it can be effective.

Edited by BP Raven, 20 January 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#4 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

View Postluxebo, on 20 January 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

Even though I've no experience with the Awesome, I must comment that those legs need much much much more armor. Otherwise you're in for some explosions.

No. NOBODY shoots an awesome in the legs. Everyone thinks they are big fat juicy easy kills. Front load the armor a lot, skimp on the legs, and in my experiance, the arms can get cut too because the torsos take 90% of the incoming dmg even when you twist a lot. How much depends on the pilot, best suggestion: Cut down on arm armor or leg armor until you start actually losing them. Then up it just a little and call it good.

Also, while fireing the lrm 60 in 2 groups can avoid ghost heat, a lot of times the heat is worth it. If you have a prime shot on someone, tag them and let the whole shebang fly. For sure on targets 50 -60 tons, as they can possibly eat it in one shot, or at least become totally crippled(red CT internals showing) Even Jagers or cats it is worth it on IMO. There is a time for both alpha and salvo shots, set up triggers accordingly.

#5 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

I haven't found the new hotboxes to have had any noticeable effect really, I never seem to lose a side torso so XL's are safe to use.

I'll chime in on the 8R lrm 60 missiles alpha. With the 8R mastered I can alpha those missiles 3 times in succession without shutting down. Very handy for that enemy that just needs to go down NOW. For the rest I just peak my heat and fire a 30 missile salvo each time my heat drops down to 75%, makes for a nice barrage.

Thanks for the Awesome support OP! :lol:

#6 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

Well, finally someone tha supports the AWS!
My awesome of choice is the 8v, which i finde quite versatile.
My vavourite builds are:

Long range build: lurmer

This is a really powerfull build, that if used well can put out an incredible damage.

Proof:
Posted Image

Short-medium range build: Chopper

In the current meta, this build could be a bit frustrating if used without a good tactic.
I usually try to get around the enemy force trough the sides of the map, then, while my team engages the enemy from the front, i run coring from the behind any long range focused mech i find, or acting as a distraction. It can also be a nice brawler, but only if you are packing with other assaults/heavies, or you'll find yourself in troubles. If used well this mech is a lot of fun!

#7 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Excellent topic! Thanks for the hard work!

#8 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Love the Awesome!

Run and LRM boat on the 8R, some PPCs and LLs on the 8Q, some a mixed LL/PPC/SRM build on the 8V, and of course, a straight speed brawler build on the Pretty Baby.

I love when an Atlas will try to take me one on one because he thinks he smells an easy kill.

#9 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm a big fan of the Awesomes (as some may already know :rolleyes: )

At the moment, i run 2 of them regularly.

My AWS-8R 'Raindoctor' as a LRM-Boat, and the AWS-9M 'Hellbringer' as direct fire support.

Strategies should be self-explaining (chain-firing PPCs, etc.)

#10 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

I CUT THE BREAKS! WILD CARD! heh works well for the PB which has terrible breaks too lol.

#11 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

@lol viper kinda funny considering Hans davion is avid of awesomes too

Laugh if you want
but this build has definitely worked for me at range (even countering poptarts)
Do not fire the lrm and the ppc's together above 60-70% heat
TAG should be on all weapon groups

The disadvantage of this build is when a team is carrying 2-3 AMS systems near each other
if so please persist to fire the LRM 15 alone to waste AMS
but mostly just snipe them with Er large laser and twin ppc

Use your Arm as cover and turn sideways to enemy if running away from them

This EXACT same build could work with more missile ports on either the Awesome 8V or 8T variant (with more ammo if wanted)
i just don't have them :L
but with different weapon placement
AWS-9M - XL 325 - 72.4 KPH - 448 armor - TAG - BAP - AMS - 720 lrm ammo - 15 Doubleheatsinks - Lrm 15 - Twin Lrm 5's - Twin ppc - One er large laser
Drop er large laser for a medium laser to add more tonnage

Also this has worked for me too :rolleyes:
(if im not playing suicidal :ph34r: )
http://youtu.be/_HzGInLtWiA

Edited by kesuga7, 21 January 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#12 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

8t and 8v cant put an engine that big in....

my 8q (armor isnt balanced properly f/r)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f8aea3c1d598a7e
er ppc for pop tart or just plain long range fighting, two larges on arms to get in there, and two large lasers on side for...what ever

Edited by Just wanna play, 21 January 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#13 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostVIPER2207, on 21 January 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

I'm a big fan of the Awesomes (as some may already know :rolleyes: )

At the moment, i run 2 of them regularly.

My AWS-8R 'Raindoctor' as a LRM-Boat, and the AWS-9M 'Hellbringer' as direct fire support.

Strategies should be self-explaining (chain-firing PPCs, etc.)

Damn "Awesome" video wish I knew how to do that Id make a commando one!

#14 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostJust wanna play, on 21 January 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

8t and 8v cant put an engine that big in....

my 8q (armor isnt balanced properly f/r)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f8aea3c1d598a7e
er ppc for pop tart or just plain long range fighting, two larges on arms to get in there, and two large lasers on side for...what ever

That build looks quite hot but if your using each weapon group for its range it's not bad at all

Why can victors do xl 385 but not the AWS- 8 series?!?!
well heres the 12 kph slower 8T
AWS-8T - XL 270 - 60.1 KPH - 432 armor - TAG - BAP - AMS - 15 double heatsinks - One er large laser - Twin ppc - 900 lrm ammo - Lrm 15 - Lrm 10
Drop the engine to a XL 265 for .50 more armor or drop a tonn of ammo for more tonnage

can do standard 250 with 1 extra tonn
Twin Medium laser version over One Er large laser
*Can do Lrm 15 and lrm 10 Artemis - if Lrm 15 is degraded to LRM 10*
Downgrade to XL 265 for 1 tonn of ammo
AWS-8T - XL 280 - 62.4 KPH - 448 armor - 15 Double heatsinks - AMS - TAG - BAP - 2 PPC - 2 medium lasers - Twin lrm 15's - 900 lrm ammo

Edited by kesuga7, 21 January 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#15 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

As a Marik pilot I consider it my duty to make Marik mechs work. I own all the Awesomes except the Pretty Baby. (because, you know, no money for PGI until we are out of beta)

Once I am done with my AWS-9Q (yes, -9Q), I will have mastered them all.

I mostly run XL engines and use the chest piece (Awe-bo.obs) that makes the Mech so squishy to protect open side torsos. My favourite is the -9M which I use as a DPS brawler. There are few moments when I cackle with as much malicious glee as when my wounded opponent starts to realize that -no- he can´t run and -no- I am not going to stop chain-firing and double-tapping those 5 Medium Lasers, because I am actually bleeding heat.

The only AWS collecting dust is the -8V, because I am waiting for PGI to fix hit registration on my SRM-18.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 21 January 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#16 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 21 January 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Damn "Awesome" video wish I knew how to do that Id make a commando one!

Thanks =)
no big deal... you just need a good software (sony vegas pro was used for this), some basic skills, 2 hours time to get used to your software, and basic skills in google :rolleyes:

#17 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

The best tip for Awesomes, bar none, is to play them exactly like you would Global Thermonuclear War.

Edited by Victor Morson, 21 January 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#18 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 21 January 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

The best tip for Awesomes, bar none, is to play them exactly like you would Global Thermonuclear War.

but but

i like variety and proving 'said bad mechs' can play well :ph34r:
heck why Run any light but a Jenner D/F/ECM spider :rolleyes:

Edit: oop forgot to include raven 3L :D

Edited by kesuga7, 21 January 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#19 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

View Postkesuga7, on 21 January 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

heck why Run any light but a Jenner D/F/ECM spider :ph34r:

because RVN-3L is THE big deal at the moment? :rolleyes:

#20 Scop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostVIPER2207, on 21 January 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

because RVN-3L is THE big deal at the moment? ;)

Speaking of 3Ls, I take an especial pleasure in using my 9M, only slightly modified from stock, against them. Either or both of the ER PPCs knock down their ECM and make them vulnerable to the three Streaks it carries. The ER Large Laser in the right arm gives more long reach and something with a fast and free range of motion to chase them with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users