The Worst Mistakes You Ever Made

114 replies to this topic

#1 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

As the thread title says, time to share about the times when you bungled - sometimes epically! You know, those moments where you do something, then go OH FUUUUUUU......*boom*

I'll start things off with an experience playing my Jenner. It was on Alpine, and one of my teammates had just spotted a blip on the other side of a hill. Trying to be a good scout, I leaped over the hill.

1. It wasn't a hill, but a cliff.
2. There wasn't just one guy on the other side - there were 6, 2 of which were AC40 Jagers.
3. They were all looking at me.

Needless to say, I floated down right in front of them, just in time and in perfect position to be torn apart by several AC20 bullets, lasers, missiles and PPC bolts.

So, anyone else had somewhat amusing experiences like this? Or are you all too perfect? XD

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

I'm sure I do, and if I can remember any of them (or if I have another XD ) I will be sure to share it!

(If it is any consolation, I don't really remember my awesome times either :))

#3 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

nothing in combat ( getting killed or shooting wrong target ) realy rates as important to me.

the worst mistakes are all made in the lab with bad purchasing accidental selling swapping back n forwards of those armour and guidance upgrades too many times paying real money for a bad hero or champion ect...

the list is long lol.

#4 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

Have streak SRMs but put in normal SRM ammo--- same for different AC types and their ammo.

Edited by LiGhtning90, 22 January 2014 - 03:33 AM.

#5 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:54 AM

A while ago I accidentilly TKed a lancemate and we were on comms. My aim was off and I got his already cherry red back left torso instead of the enemy. =(

#6 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:30 AM

By mistake buying an non-hero Awesome for MC...

I have also done two team kills in the same match using a Streaktaro, and it was in an 12-man. Doesn't really count as we won the match.

Still doing a lot of mistakes, usually when rushing in trying to catch an opportunity thinking the rest of the team will follow. They usually don't.

Edited by Evil Ed, 22 January 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

I bought a CDA-3C. :D

Seriously, I've made a billion dumb tactical mistakes, many fathered by my greatest MWO mistake: starting in Commandos. Now, I love my 'Mandos now, but they're not a good starter mech and they're even worse as a starter mech on a low-spec machine when you haven't played an FPS game in years and have never played a PvP game. It's a small miracle I stuck with it.

Edited by Terciel1976, 22 January 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#8 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

So when i started playing my FPS ran between 5 and 8...(yea i know really bad)...run at 45 to 60 now...So i ran LRMS almost exclusively...My biggest mistake...The first time i tried direct fire weapons I shot 4 of my team mates and TK'd 1 because i was so far behind what was actually happening...and i would rubber band everywhere.....I'd be shooting an enemy and the next thing i know i'm shooting friendlies in the back...uugghh....
Anyways none of us are perfect and I can tell you that plenty of us if not all of us have had the "hill experience" or the run around the corner and there's 2 chainsaws standing there or a couple atlai....the sinking feeling you get just before the multitude of A/C 5 rounds shatter your poor little mech's body or you take the twin PPC shot to the face...aaaahhhh..nuthin like it... :D

Edited by 100mile, 22 January 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

While trying to shoot a jenner, I overestimated my aim and ended up hitting the right torso of an allied 3D phract, we were on comms and he accepted the apology, and then 5 seconds past "McGral18 has killed xx" and his gauss exploded....oops

#10 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

My biggest mistake by far was in my first ever game in MW:O. I was in the trial atlas D that was featured around November 2012 and i dropped on River City Night. I saw that most of the enemy team was on the far side of the island by kappa and my team was getting slaughtered. I decided that in a 40 KM ATLAS, I would flank around to the other side using the long river way. I got hung up on just about every little thing that was on the edge of river, as I did not know how to use night or blue heat vision mode. I was still only half way around the river when I became the only one alive on my team. The whole team of 8 enemy players came over and started coming straight for me across the water. I panicked and overheated from repetitive strikes that never hit them with my ac20 and 4 med lasers and ended dying while overheated to 8 players FROM FRESH in literally 3 seconds. I'll never forget how embarrassing it was to have done a grand total of 3 damage in an atlas.

#11 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I've:
-launched matches without having any weapons equipped two matches in a row
-accidentally launched dual AC20 into every conceivable body part of allies
-gotten confused watching a friendly in a close-in brawl with a hostile piloting the same mech, gotten confused, and cored the wrong one
-used 3/4 of my ammo on enemies outside of max range
-spent money on cockpit items

Why yes, I do drive mechs while drinking. Why do you ask?

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostBlue Footed Booby, on 22 January 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

-launched matches without having any weapons equipped two matches in a row

I was working on taking screenshots of footprints and did that twice Saturday.

...I don't drink.

#13 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

I think the biggest mistakes I've made boil down to this:

1) Drunken mechbuilding. The types of mind boggling insanity you put together in the paper doll mechlab is not to be underestimated.

2) Overheating. To this day I remember losing a game I had *IN THE BAG* possibly having a huge comeback win instead losing due to me overheating like a ****** 20 feet in front of the atlas I was kiting... on alpine *headdesk*. Or the spider game where I was doing some good comeback work and shut down like an {Dezgra} from heat (again).

#14 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Epic fail in MWO ohh what to pick..

ok

I was running something or other some medium and I was getting fed up with the assaults on my team either being hang back lurm boats or fannying around being timid, so I logged on my brawler founders atlas, launched a game and led the way.

Declared to the team I'm sick and tired of chicken assaults this is how you do it, stomped around a corner to face 6 of the other team got knocked out in 10 seconds flat.

needless to say I logged off before the laughter started

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostCathy, on 22 January 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

I think I might have been there for that one (or at least someone else that I recognized as more competent than the experience showed)

If it was you, I am sorry, but due to said competence it was actually kinda funny. :)

#16 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

It was a match sometime in Closed Beta in Frozen City, and it was not a good match. Running about in a trial Raven 2X on Frozen City, I was one of the last remaining 'mechs on my team. Panicking, I opted to head for the enemy base to cap, with most of the enemy team after me. When a raven rounded a building just in front of me, I desperately launched an alpha strike, thinking that the enemy had gotten in front of me somehow. Most of my strike hit true and killed the Raven.

That raven was my other surviving teammate, and his death made me the last member of my team alive. I felt so bad about the match I ended up apologizing to the guy later on private messaging. It was my first teamkill in this game.

Edited by Dan Baxter, 23 January 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#17 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

hangs head
Last night, firing on a DDC with my 2 Llaser 2 Mlaser AC20
I was sure I could shoot OVER that spider standing in front of me

whoever you were MY DEEP apologies

AC20 round to the rear of a spider is not good

Muskrat

#18 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Every time I get in my spider. :)

At least twice a night.
Where I turn a corner and run too far out, and I just sit there. Waiting for the impacts. Because I turned the corner into 3 heavies and 2 assault mechs.

No point even trying to turn around. lol

Or I over pursue someone, and jump down into a similar crowd of mechs.

Edited by BaconTWOfourACTUAL, 22 January 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

View Postmuskrat, on 22 January 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

hangs head
Last night, firing on a DDC with my 2 Llaser 2 Mlaser AC20
I was sure I could shoot OVER that spider standing in front of me

whoever you were MY DEEP apologies

AC20 round to the rear of a spider is not good

Muskrat

Ow. Yeah, that would be the one time an AC/20 would register on a Spider... :)

#20 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I cored my Girlfriend on accident.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users