Statistics On Number Of Mwo Players

42 replies to this topic

#1 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

By 25 of August, 2016, during Leaderboard second season 54336 people played MWO.

By 25 of July during first season 64315 people played. It means that number of players decreased 15,5%.

Posted Image

Steam stats:

Posted Image

Forum total members don't represent the total numbers of players (because in order to be counted as forum member you should login in the forum at least once), but these numbers correlate.

At least the dynamics of forum total members should represent the tendencies of actual player base, first of all, rate of growth. Needless to say, only forums members can be counted as "active players", because unlikely that those who don’t login in the forum are interested in the game (for sure, they don't buy MC, so they useless for PGI from economy point of view).

I found some info about changes in number of forum members since June of 2012:

June 2012 - 135,273

March 2013 - 454,476

June 2013 - 486,670

17 of January 2014 - 562,798

23 of January 2014 - 564,595

It shows us that since June 2012 to the end of Jan 2014 number of accounts increased almost 320%.

But since March the rate of growth slowed down. From March up to present day number of accounts increased only 110 000 or 25%.

Anyway, player base continues to grow (if we don't count those who leave). Recently in 5 days it increased almost 2 000.

Edited by drunkblackstar, 25 August 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#2 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

View Postdrunkblackstar, on 22 January 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

Anyway, player base continues to grow (if we don't count those who leave)

Isn't that the point of the whole thing?

What you have there is a the influx, not the base.

Say your company got $100 in one day of operation, and spent $50 one day. You make $300 the next day, and your expenses are $500.

Has your money base grown?

Edited by Chavette, 23 January 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#3 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

View PostChavette, on 23 January 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

He's just pointing out the increase in potential player base. As he said, it doesn't take into consideration players that no longer log in, double accounts, etc.

It's just static information.

#4 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

View PostS3dition, on 23 January 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

He's just pointing out the increase in potential player base. As he said, it doesn't take into consideration players that no longer log in, double accounts, etc.

I know, but thats not player base.

#5 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

From a business administration and statistic standpoint, all these things are normal. In fact, not half bad.

Forum user is a fairly good indicator for active players, since most of those who come over, either to help or to rant, care about the game enough to come over to the community to learn sh*t, and more likely, hoping to get their money's worth.

For the sample you provided, considering before October 2012 the game was in closed beta, the player count should be steady. That means the player base had more than a double increase in the following six months since the game went open beta. Considering the stiff learning curve of MWO, as well as Hawken being a VERY strong competitor in the stompy-robot genre (WOT should be considered too, probably), this is not bad, to say the least.

Right now it looks like MWO is in its late growth stage. Regardless, a roughly 2000 growth within a week so early in a year seems to be a good thing. I suspect MWO will have another boost of players when Clan Tech is introduced. In late-2014 the game will probably enter its maturity, player count is gonna steady up. I'm not a marketing professional, but my guess is MWO from this point on has at least another 2 years of life span. Lots of F2P games practically dies after the 1st year.

Well, considering PGI is such a compact 45-ish-man team, I feel like MWO is gonna keep afloat just fine. By the second half of 2015, however, they should probably start working on something either super fresh and interesting to bring players back, or an exiting strategy like another game. Hopefully they could convert MWO's assets into something else, I dunno, a singleplayer game perhaps? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Well, that's my Marketing 3001 paid off. (hiremepgi)

Edited by Helmstif, 25 February 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#6 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

View PostChavette, on 23 January 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

I know, but thats not player base.

He didn't say it was the actual player base. Not everyone posts information because they want to fight with you.

#7 Dexter Herbivore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 241 posts
  • LocationPerth WA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

I'm curious as to where these figures came from?

#8 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostDexter Herbivore, on 23 January 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

I'm curious as to where these figures came from?
http://mwomercs.com/ only.

#9 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Anyway, player base continues to grow (if we don't count those who leave). Recently in 5 days it increased almost 2 000.

View PostS3dition, on 23 January 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

He didn't say it was the actual player base. Not everyone posts information because they want to fight with you.

Well I dunno man... sounds like youre that one.

#10 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostChavette, on 23 January 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Well I dunno man... sounds like youre that one.

He added a quite obvious exception. You're still trying to argue it.

#11 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostS3dition, on 23 January 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

He added a quite obvious exception. You're still trying to argue it.

The exception made as much sense as saying cars don't catch fire except the ones that do, and you know that. Leave me alone.

#12 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostChavette, on 23 January 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

The exception made as much sense as saying cars don't catch fire except the ones that do, and you know that. Leave me alone.

No, actually it makes perfect sense in the framing. He's saying "this is what it could be if we don't consider people who no longer play." And he's right, it's the potential numbers of players the game has increased by. It may not be an exact number of the people playing, but it's the closest you're going to get to that information.

Also, it's a bit asinine to kick up an argument, then try to win it by telling someone else to leave you alone.

#13 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostS3dition, on 24 January 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

No, actually it makes perfect sense in the framing. He's saying "this is what it could be if we don't consider people who no longer play." And he's right, it's the potential numbers of players the game has increased by. It may not be an exact number of the people playing, but it's the closest you're going to get to that information.

Also, it's a bit asinine to kick up an argument, then try to win it by telling someone else to leave you alone.

No it doesn't. If you think saying "our profits have increased going solely by the revenue and not counting the unknown spending" makes any economical sense, I have no interest talking to you, and you clearly do.

Reason I'd like you to leave me alone is after explaing that to you three times I still don't see you having a grasp at all.

Edited by Chavette, 24 January 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#14 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostChavette, on 24 January 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

No it doesn't. If you think saying "our profits have increased going solely by the revenue and not counting the unknown spending" makes any economical sense, I have no interest talking to you, and you clearly do.

Reason I'd like you to leave me alone is after explaing that to you three times I still don't see you having a grasp at all.

Then stop typing and try reading.

You're claiming he is presenting all of the data, which he is not. He is presenting half of the data - the rate of increase. You're effectively criticizing the rate of increase because it doesn't include all the data to determine the actual player base. He said it doesn't include rate of loss. You're literally claiming an inaccurate data set is wrong because it's inaccurate.

Stay classy.

#15 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostS3dition, on 24 January 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

You're literally claiming an inaccurate data set is wrong because it's inaccurate.

Nope. The dataset isn't inaccurate, its missing variables to the point a claim of a growing player base based on that is pure speculation.

Hence his findings, and with that this thread makes nobody smarter at all, aside from you, should you ever come to realize the difference.

Edited by Chavette, 24 January 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#16 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostChavette, on 24 January 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

Nope. The dataset isn't inaccurate, its missing variables to the point a claim of a growing player base based on that is pure speculation.

Hence his findings, and with that this thread makes nobody smarter at all, aside from you, should you ever come to realize the difference.

Really, base insults is the best you can do? I'm disappointed. Also, the ability to read tells me that all the data says forum accounts. Tell me where the data specifically says "active players".

With that, I'm done. Sure sign you've won an argument is when the other side resorts to insults :unsure:

#17 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostS3dition, on 24 January 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

With that, I'm done. Sure sign you've won an argument is when the other side resorts to insults :unsure:

::mic drop::

#18 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

Anyway, player base continues to grow (if we don't count those who leave).

View PostS3dition, on 24 January 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Also, the ability to read tells me that all the data says forum accounts. Tell me where the data specifically says "active players".

The player base at any given time is certainly the number of active players of a game.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Chavette, 24 January 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#19 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

View PostChavette, on 23 January 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Say your company got $100 in one day of operation, and spent $50 one day. You make $300 the next day, and your expenses are $500.

Has your money base grown?

View PostS3dition, on 23 January 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

Chavette, You are talking about the flaw wich I noticed myself. I don't pretend this is a perfect stats, but it's almost all that we as community know. So I gathered some info and tried to make some estimations.

In the openning post I've already said that this info doesn't take into account "losses", only "profit". So it's only the stock numbers. If any, it proves that MWO still attracts new players, thou we don't know how many old players left.

It would be interesting to look at the "most online" nubmers. Now it's 5,982. When did it rise the last time? How often does it increase? That could shed the light on the current state of the player base.

Edited by drunkblackstar, 25 January 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#20 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Unfortunately its hard to tell from those numbers.

The numbers that would be helpful are: active players on forum on same time of week, and reading from transaction numbers after an MC purchase: the difference between transaction numbers with 3 transactions done in an equal time period.

Edited by Chavette, 25 January 2014 - 08:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users