• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 1,369 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSome nameless backwater planet

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:38 AM

It ain't gg if it's a ******* out-tonned, out-numbered game.
"Hurka durr ding dong pancakes Gg easy"

"OH but paaaanzer it was gg for enemy team! look how they dominated hurr durr"

If you want have a bit of sportsmanship you should know that in this particular game, the enemy team won more on a technicality than anything else.

Let me tell you what a good game is, you wet eared whelps... A good game is a match that you'd enjoy playing 10 times in a row on EITHER team. That is truly a good game.

Posted Image

#2 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

Agreed.

I think its become more of a mere formality to write GG, even though one team sat on its thumbs/got its metal arse handed to them. Writing GG as the winning team in public is just rubbing salt in their wounds. Writing GG in team chat really just acknowledges that for once, you had a kick *** team that knew what it was doing.

#3 Michaelson Snow

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 54 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

Just curious here...what is different from a match here in MWO, outclassed, weighed ect.. From a baseball game where one side completely outclasses the other? as a player, you are still expected(note: I said expected not required) to say gg to the others, shake their hand ect.

How does that mean sportsmanship, and gg in MWO is not?

I am seriously curious here, not trying to flame you guys here, just another thought.(I am one that says GG...not because we rolled, but mostly because one or two of the others give me a good fight, or scare! lol... I also try to say it no matter which side I was on)

#4 PanzerMagier

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationSome nameless backwater planet

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Good sir Snow

Shaking your opponent's hand is one thing. Calling "GG" for a completely one sided match that was quite unbearable for one team, is another.

The term "GG" means "Good Game". In the sense of the phrase that the match overall was good.

Overall, it's obvious to see that this specific match in question was not a "good game".

What's worse, some of the callous ******** on the enemy team have the nerve to call "GG easy". Meaning it was not much a challenge and the match bored them. The term "GG easy" is evidently an oxymoron. Talk about being ingrate and petulant. Not only did they score a victory that was hardly any trouble for some easy c-bills, they have the audacity to insult the losing team for not being able to put up a good fight as if they're to blame for the ridiculous tonnage imbalance/2afks.

Anyone who calls "GG" on the losing end of a wipe is seriously being pretentious and I simply refuse to lull myself into that sense of naivety or sheeple mentality. Call a game for what it is. Think about your fellow players, Maybe you enjoyed being wiped 2/12 because you got the 2 kills ,but for the other 10 players it might not have been as fun.

I express my sympathies for those who had to watch them selves getting wiped by overwhelming advantage, I do not rub it in their face that I enjoyed a game that wasn't a challange. I'm not going to ignorantly blare "GG" at the end of the game because not every single game was a good game.

People should be more mindful of their actions, I understand this a "thinking man's" shooter so I expect some intelligence from my fellow players. Are my standards too high? Yes? Very disappointing to see. BTW, that wasn't direct at you mr. Snow.

#5 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostPanzerMagier, on 23 January 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

, I understand this a "thinking man's" shooter so I expect some intelligence from my fellow players.

And that right there is your mistake where 90+% of the players that play are concerned.

#6 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

I simply try to correct folks who post GG or similar absurdities at the end of matches like that. When the game is close and it could have gone either way, then yeah, good game. When the matchmaker puts together a match even a back alley bookey wouldn't give you odds on and the winning team posts gg or gg(insert cheesy syphilitic-brain addendum here) I simply post "incorrect", "nope", "how so?", or a similar remark. Be like braces, slowly change what's wrong through persistence, with some necessary discomfort to those who need correcting, and with minimal blood loss.

#7 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

View Postrolly, on 23 January 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

Agreed.

I think its become more of a mere formality to write GG, even though one team sat on its thumbs/got its metal arse handed to them. Writing GG as the winning team in public is just rubbing salt in their wounds. Writing GG in team chat really just acknowledges that for once, you had a kick *** team that knew what it was doing.

Doubtful that anybody is saying "Good Game" as a way to poke fun at the losing team.
Haven't you ever watched a Hockey game or anything, even if one team gets slaughter, they always line up and shake hands on the way out.

GG = No hard feelings either way.

Err, well... I'm sure there are a few people out there who say it with hostile intent, but the majority of people aren't ********.

#8 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:29 AM

I usually say gg, win or lose. If if offends YOU then that's on...YOU. "ggclose" is the proper one to get mad about...

#9 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

You are interpreting a mocking into the GG when most often there is none.

A ggclose is a mocking after complete stomp. I'd agree on that.

The simple GG is just to honor the effort the opponent put into the game, no matter who won or how the result looks. It's not rubbing salt into the wounds of the losers.

#10 luigi256

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

I say gg upon a win sometimes, I picked it up from playing and watching starcraft. Upon a loss I sometimes will put gg wp, also picked up from playing and watching starcraft. Hope no one is offended by it when it gets put up I never have intention of offending someone this is just a game after all.

Edit: Ah Egomane got it up just before me but I am in complete agreement with Egomane

Edited by luigi256, 24 January 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#11 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

When its a stomp I wont say gg but dont get offended if others do. I might say good fight or hard fougt (if it was) or recognize a particular part of the fight where it was a great time. Getting upset about gg though..........thats on you. Most people dont mean to be smug ********. Its just the after match handshake in their mind. We all know who the ggclose types are.

Which is why the game could use an ignore feature for ingame chat. Would add to the immersion factor as much as cockpit glass Im sure.

Edited by Lukoi, 24 January 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#12 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

View PostLukoi, on 24 January 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

Which is why the game could use an ignore feature for ingame chat.

PLEASE!!! :ph34r:

#13 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

I say GG whether I won or lose. I always say that to me it feels like the Stanley Cup games where each team skates by the other team and does the glove bump. Even if one team got dominated, they still do it. I will still say GG whether I win or lose. Don't take it the wrong way.

#14 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

gg as far as I know it has always been an insult on the internet, much like "gl hf" is at the start of a match.

#15 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Well personally I rarely say gg, but when I do i mean it.

View PostLukoi, on 24 January 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

We all know who the ggclose types are.

well if you say ggclose upfront before the game has even started you are announcing your victory and mocking the enemy for.... well dropping against you? Which usually happened looking at the names of a match back when the elo matchmaker was still tightened up. I've been in games where these "ggclose types" didn't say it.

That being said, a good game pretty much depends on the player, You can have a 11:12 match and still: for the first poor guy who died after 2 minutes of play it prolly wasn't a good match - so the way I understand it is that in most cases GG means that the player saying it was enjoying the game - nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Eglar, 24 January 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#16 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostPanzerMagier, on 23 January 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Let me tell you what a good game is, you wet eared whelps... A good game is a match that you'd enjoy playing 10 times in a row on EITHER team. That is truly a good game.

You're living in the past, Panzer. Back in the infancy of online gaming, these 'gg close' types were the exception. Now they're the rule. The only way to be rid of them is private matches.

#17 kaffeangst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

ggclose™

#18 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostDivine Retribution, on 24 January 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

I simply try to correct folks who post GG or similar absurdities at the end of matches like that. When the game is close and it could have gone either way, then yeah, good game. When the matchmaker puts together a match even a back alley bookey wouldn't give you odds on and the winning team posts gg or gg(insert cheesy syphilitic-brain addendum here) I simply post "incorrect", "nope", "how so?", or a similar remark. Be like braces, slowly change what's wrong through persistence, with some necessary discomfort to those who need correcting, and with minimal blood loss.

With more players diving headlong into the battlefields, some perhaps for their first taste of online gaming, Typing "GG" at the end of a match becomes the mere formality of the sportsmanlike handshake with no malice intended as others have mentioned regardless of the match result.
I agree with Divine Retribution and am also guilty of attempting to broaden end of game "handshakes".
"not GG, pure stompage!" being one example for a 12/2 defeat.
New players will only parrot what they see in chat, so with no ill intent to whoever the opposition or the odds, for or against, CALL IT AS YOU SEE IT.

#19 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

gg is a standard closing response. But I like those game where people on both sides say it was a good scrap or everybody spends some time commenting on how much of an awesome wild match it was while it is down to the last couple and everybody agrees it was an epic game no matter who wins in the end.

#20 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

panzer's jimmies:

Rustled: ✔
Unrustled: x

Edited by Chavette, 24 January 2014 - 07:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users