Vote On Allting Forum Locations

26 replies to this topic

Poll: Offsite FRR Allting Forum (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we want/need an offsite Frr Allting Forum

1. yes (18 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. no (4 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

If yes is chosen, where should we go?

1. Frr hub, cost to upgrade (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. FRR Enjin, or 1st rdr subform (needs setup) (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

3. Fluffy's allting, free to use, already setup (15 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

4. Other A (see post below) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Other B (see post below) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other C (see post below) (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

While I can't change the vote to public, (I will be asking a mod to do so.) I agree with Dane, each unit should only post one vote, all dual votes will be cast out. In the end. The poll should also end, in a month.

(also any No vote, wont exclude you from any allting/thing/whatever there will always be open communication for all who are interested in trying.)

View PostMech The Dane, on 24 January 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

Okay.

Althing and allting mean exactly the same thing. Like you said, "thing" means an assembly, a gathering together of people, and "all" means the same thing as it does in english, something that is inclusive of everyone.
The 1st RDR use Althing in the sense that is the thing which is inclusive of everyone. The word Allting is only the swedish version of the Old Norse word. Not something different.

As said by Abivard

I know the the FRRHUB ts has a forum available, there is also this frr enjin site, but seems there is some doubt if their admin is still around.

If there are any other boards available for FRR groups besides PGI's. I am unaware of it.
So... let us all chime in and find a board we can all agree to use to help communicate among ourselves. Please discuss, Thank you,
(odin)

Klappspaten said

I agree, if theres already a forum with the FRR Hub why shouldnt we use it.
(bv)

Martino2k6 added

Just a note, if we end up using the forum on the FRR Hub then I'll most likely have to upgrade the server to a higher plan and therefore open up donations to cover the costs, as that would be more than I would be willing to pay for myself. Right now what we have is enough to run the TS3 server and a basic site, but I'm worried the forum may be too much.
(5thDø)

Malzel also said

Due to some joyous personal matters, Surtr's attention will be extremely limited for the foreseeable future. If he managed to get a hold on the FRR Enjin, he never mentioned it to us, so the safe bet is that he didn't hear back about it. A quick glance at that site implies that it's being invaded by spammers, as well, so it's probably out of the running.
I guess it depends on what we need a separate forum for. If we're looking for another place where all FRR pilots can go to chit-chat, then upgrading the FRR Hub's website and asking for donations is probably the best, though still risky, option. (Though we already have these boards to come chit-chat on, and they're free, so that sounds unnecessary to me) If we just need a place where FRR unit leaders can coordinate with each other away from prying eyes, then I'd be willing to host a subforum for that on the 1st RDR Enjin, if folks were comfortable with that.
(1st rdr)

Surtr answered

We could always make a new enjin site (free to start) for the hub just to cut down on the work for martino? I'm open to anything the majority decides however. Unity should be our primary goal at this point
(1st rdr)

Fluffypinkbunny added

Incase anything else falls through. I have setup a version of The Allting forums.
http://spc.menschel.net/f/index.php
I am the current admin, don't have to ask anybody else for permissions, and it's a place we can all go.
I have created rooms for all the units that have a room on the FRR hub, and also the main Allting council room
(SoR)

Martino2k6 warned

As nice as it may be to have everything under a single roof, this creates a big problem; a centralised point for failure. In case the forums were on the same server as the TS, and the server went down we would loose both. This could be potentially catastrophic, so I'm actually going to vote against using the FRR Hub forums. Whether we choose Enjin or what fluffy is working on, is up to the rest of the community :)
(5thDø)

I took Martino's warning to be, he doesn't want the forums on his site, unless we all want it, incase the FRR ts hub, and forums go down at the same time (they would be on the same server)

I haven't heard replies from 1st rh, 2323(voted), Aseet, HG, isen(voted), or Vrgd I'l like to get their voices in before we all think we're deciding for the "frr"

We do nothing by claiming leadership over the others, the only way we'll advance is if we all work together, there is always going to be some strife, SoR Vs Isengrim, is the only one I really know about, due to some misscommunication in a drop, but the only way to work out our strife is in the open with everybody airing dirty laundry. I hope the Frr Allting where ever it might end up will be a place we can table our issues, let FRR weigh in on equal ground and work out our issues (with out the general mwo populace giving their 2 cents.

I am posting this poll and leaving 3 options open, (a, b, and c) for other forums to be brought up.

Edited by fluffypinkbunny, 25 January 2014 - 12:17 AM.

#2 Lord Creston

• PipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

2323 Likes the idea of a split site vs TS. We're behind anyone who is passionate to provide the support for an alt Forum.

#3 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

I'd like to also add, on the forum I am running I am giving all co/xo/diplomats admin access (not full admin, but damn close) so that I'm not the only one in charge.

#4 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

View Postfluffypinkbunny, on 24 January 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

First of all allting is the correct spelling, no H.
alltingn
  • (history) a thing (governing assembly) concerning all free men within a certain geographic area

Wrong. It was Alþingi originally.

#5 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Correct there is an Alþingi or alltHing, but that is a National Parliament. I am looking for all free men withing a certian Geographic area, which i do believe the FRR as it stands NOW, (mwo sence) is not Iceland.

The Alþingi (anglicised as Althing or Althingi) is the national parliament (literally: "[the] all-thing", or general assembly) of Iceland.

Edited by fluffypinkbunny, 24 January 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#6 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

View Postfluffypinkbunny, on 24 January 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

Correct there is an Alþingi or alltHing, but that is a National Parliament. I am looking for all free men withing a certian Geographic area, which i do believe the FRR as it stands NOW, (mwo sence) is not Ireland.

The Alþingi (anglicised as Althing or Althingi) is the national parliament (literally: "[the] all-thing", or general assembly) of Iceland.

You really don't have any idea what you are talking about.
You're pulling up some basic internet definitions and making poor inferences.

I understand you like Kurita things better and probably have very little interest in old norse sagas and cultures. But you're really off-base right now.

#7 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 24 January 2014 - 11:14 PM, said:

I understand you like Kurita things better and probably have very little interest in old norse sagas and cultures. But you're really off-base right now.

I am feeling alot of hostility and I don't understand it. I Do like Kurita things, I am willing to learn and trying to use some basic internet definitions and making poor inferences because it's the only information I have currently. Please help me in learning the correct ways of writing it, and why.

#8 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

I guess techinally if I wanted to use Sarna as a reference, I would suggest calling what ever we decide as The Riksdag which is the Parliament of the Republic. (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/FRR)

#9 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

View Postfluffypinkbunny, on 24 January 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

I am feeling alot of hostility and I don't understand it. I Do like Kurita things, I am willing to learn and trying to use some basic internet definitions and making poor inferences because it's the only information I have currently. Please help me in learning the correct ways of writing it, and why.

Okay.

Althing and allting mean exactly the same thing. Like you said, "thing" means an assembly, a gathering together of people, and "all" means the same thing as it does in english, something that is inclusive of everyone.

In pagan Scandinavian 'things' were widespread form of regional governance. Small localities would hold a Thing, where freemen would attend and decide on various matters.

This practice was exported by Norwegian colonists to Iceland. In Iceland they "thing"system reached maturity, and they formed an All-Thing to manage their entire nation. So in a sense you are right, as the Althing is the national assembly for Iceland, but that is only one use of it. That is like saying we can't have senators in the United States because senators can only be part of the Roman senate.

The 1st RDR use Althing in the sense that is the thing which is inclusive of everyone. The word Allting is only the swedish version of the Old Norse word. Not something different.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 24 January 2014 - 11:35 PM.

#10 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

so since they are the same. Allthing and all ting H or no H, are both correct. so your first statement of me being wrong is to what end? I will remove the statement that it is THE correct spelling, but just one correct spelling. Thank you.

Can you please vote, on where you would like it to happen though? if at all?

Edited by fluffypinkbunny, 24 January 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#11 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

View Postfluffypinkbunny, on 24 January 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

so since they are the same. Allthing and all ting H or no H, are both correct. so your first statement of me being wrong is to what end? I will remove the statement that it is THE correct spelling, but just one correct spelling. Thank you.

Can you please vote, on where you would like it to happen though? if at all?

Kay, voted.

Also, this vote is weird. What's to keep it from turning into a popularity contest? Where someone doesn't just go and get all their guys to vote a certain way so they can get what they want? I'd recommend you just let each unit interested being involved with this, cast a single vote.

#12 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

Good idea.

#13 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Voted on behalf of HG.

#14 martino2k6

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 24 January 2014 - 11:14 PM, said:

Chill... it's just a game. We shoot at pixels. There's no need to be so hostile towards others.

#15 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Thing is the meeting, the word before it is a geographical reference, Such as Gula thing, the thing of Gula, which is where iceland derived it's laws mainly from, as most where from that area in Norway to begin with. Icelands Althing is the oldest Extant thing.

One of the main points is, the Thing made evident, that the people, not the King, held power in the Scandinavian lands.

#16 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

We're not ignoring this, we're taking a census of our own members before casting a vote. Will let you know when we know.

#17 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

I left the vote open with no closed date, because I expected people need time to discuss.

#18 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:28 AM

I am not sure Fluffybunny is an.. appropriate choice to run the Althing forums.

I'd much rather a well respected party, with deep ties to the Republic of Rasalhahgue have the reins in this. My immediate recommendation would be the 1st Dragoneregimentë.

When a comment was made about units that flew the FRR flag being involved in something, Fluffy made this alarming statement...

View Postfluffypinkbunny, on 30 November 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

Sor is a MERC unit, we don't FLY FRR banner we take their money over other houses's money.

Because of comments like this, it seems unwise to invest the nerve center of our operations in her trust.

Furthermore she has shown great contempt for some of the more impressive feats, we as a community, have accomplished..

fluffypinkbunny said:

just because the players play a specific way, and they call it tournament, player run tournaments are done by working aroudn the current game. which isn't fully balanced yet, nor is it conductive to tournament play. the GAME isn't ready for e-sports, no matter how many different ways players do it. While yes, players do have fun and can play their way, it's not the way the game is built. Just because one CAN drive on the wrong side of the road, doesn't mean they should.

Here she equates player-run tournaments (in Blue Vengeance's tournament thread) to driving on the wrong side of the road. Utterly dismissive.

In short, I think it would be in our best interests to find a person or organization less erratic, less disdainful of the FRR's accomplishments, and more soundly supportive of the FRR to host the Althing forum. Preferably an in-House unit like the 5th Drakøns or 1st RDR.

#19 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 04 February 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

I am not sure Fluffybunny is an.. appropriate choice to run the Althing forums.

I'd much rather a well respected party, with deep ties to the Republic of Rasalhahgue have the reins in this. My immediate recommendation would be the 1st Dragoneregimentë.

When a comment was made about units that flew the FRR flag being involved in something, Fluffy made this alarming statement...

Because of comments like this, it seems unwise to invest the nerve center of our operations in her trust.

Furthermore she has shown great contempt for some of the more impressive feats, we as a community, have accomplished..

Here she equates player-run tournaments (in Blue Vengeance's tournament thread) to driving on the wrong side of the road. Utterly dismissive.

In short, I think it would be in our best interests to find a person or organization less erratic, less disdainful of the FRR's accomplishments, and more soundly supportive of the FRR to host the Althing forum. Preferably an in-House unit like the 5th Drakøns or 1st RDR.

For how long are you two married?
I got to take fluffys side on this one though.

First: As long as the Skjaldborg commit to the FRR I see no reason why fluffy should not host the althings forum. And I am sure she would have the decency to leave it to someone else if that commitment should end.

Second: When she says that the game is not ready for esport yet she is absolutely right. 90% of the difficultys in hosting the VLT come from the need to work AGAINST the game. And I can understand everyone who says that he or she would not do a tournament unless the game properly supports it.

The whole idea behind the althing was to bond as a community and as a faction. This ongoing beef of some kind I dont care about does not help that goal. You really should figure tis issue out or at least keep it private.

#20 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

While I understand where Mech the Dane is coming from. I can see he can't seperate roleplay from reality. Nowhere have I ever actually shown less involvement in my ACTIONS than in things I have done to support the FRR. While I talk a big talk. I walk a better walk.

(quoting from our own recruitment page) The overall spirit that the Skjaldborg strives for is one of casual friendship and stress-free fun. If this isn't the case, we do our best to ensure that the problem is addressed and resolved as fast as possible.

(quoting from isengrim's own recruitment page) The distant JàrnFòlk of the Deep Periphery have little interest in the comings and goings of the Inner Sphere. Unlike the dim and ignorant denizens of the Inner Sphere the JàrnFòlk recognize the threat that builds just beyond the Veil of the Protector.

So lets see who is more respected, somebody who is looking for casual friendship and stress-free fun, or somebody who has little interests in the comings and going of the Inner Sphere. I state my self very clear here. While I Roleplay as a merc. I am still willing and have shown by action to prove that I am working towards bringing things together. Participating in FRR community events, and doing what I can to help. Not talking down against any person or unit in the FRR and doing what I can to bolster the community.

I will agree that the SoR has had a stained reputation in the past due to some of the things our previous leadership did when trying to gather in altings and what not, but that leadership has since taken a back seat to this bus and now we are making things better. No matter my personal feelings towards one unit or another, I have been nothing but inclusive of all peoples.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users