Bring Back The Cn9-Ah!

320 replies to this topic

#21 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

As much as I like Centurion (I have mastered them all except the D, because I couldn't justify the cbill purchase when I can work on elited my much neglected Orions for that many cbills) I really want DIFFFERENT 50 or 45 ton mechs (Poor blackjack is all alone and I want my Crab seriously). All the mechs from 45-50 besides the D variant of Cents has a stock speed of 64.8 which means speed upgrades are very limited, with the bigger stock engine mediums it would be great to add some versatility to that weight rating. But onto the issue of the AH: was their stated reason for getting rid of the AH that it had no energy hard points or something? I wasn't here for that but something that has no~ option for energy hard-points seems to be well, nonexistent. I am not really sure how the hell I would stuff an AC20 in a Cent along with some missles they're only 50 tonners and without energy hardpoints for backup weapons skimping on ammo is not an option. Losing center torso hardpoints reduce zombie potential as well, unless they put the missles in the center torso then SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY PGI, I WILL BUY 3 OF THOSE.

Edit: Oh hey we have the Trebuchet, I always thought it was a 55 tonner because its HUGE. Time to elite another mech.

Edited by Krujiente, 26 January 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#22 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostKrujiente, on 26 January 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

As much as I like Centurion (I have mastered them all except the D, because I couldn't justify the cbill purchase when I can work on elited my much neglected Orions for that many cbills) I really want DIFFFERENT 50 or 45 ton mechs (Poor blackjack is all alone and I want my Crab seriously). All the mechs from 45-50 besides the D variant of Cents has a stock speed of 64.8 which means speed upgrades are very limited, with the bigger stock engine mediums it would be great to add some versatility to that weight rating. But onto the issue of the AH: was their stated reason for getting rid of the AH that it had no energy hard points or something? I wasn't here for that but something that has no~ option for energy hard-points seems to be well, nonexistent. I am not really sure how the hell I would stuff an AC20 in a Cent along with some missles they're only 50 tonners and without energy hardpoints for backup weapons skimping on ammo is not an option. Losing center torso hardpoints reduce zombie potential as well, unless they put the missles in the center torso then SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY PGI, I WILL BUY 3 OF THOSE.

Edit: Oh hey we have the Trebuchet, I always thought it was a 55 tonner because its HUGE. Time to elite another mech.

Their stated reason, and I paraphrase, was "it was a placeholder for the Yen-Lo Wang."

It is one of the greatest crimes of Closed Beta. I'm still mad about it.

Never forget.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostDamocles, on 26 January 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

AH AH AH!

Posted Image
?

#24 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostVoidsinger, on 25 January 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

The real block now is one of pride. To return the AH means PGI needs to be willing to admit the error in removing it.

It takes a strong person to admit their mistakes. PGI would do well to admit this one, bring back the -AH and earn some much needed good-will from the playerbase.

PGI, it is time to sack up, admit your error, and correct it.

View PostJetfire, on 25 January 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

I agree it should come back, but seems Twitter is probably the best way to ask Russ about it and get an answer.

**** Twitter. Sorry, let me get back on topic.

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 26 January 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

One of my friends was a huge fan of the AH. He was very disappointed when they removed it, and is never going to buy an YLW.

Actually I feel similarly. The removal of the -AH is the primary reason I haven't bought ANY hero mechs, and unless there is some overwhelmingly compelling reason I don't see that changing. Returning the -AH would not necessarily get me to by a YLW, but you'd better believe that if they gave us back the -AH I would buy an MC package that day.

View PostJosef Nader, on 27 January 2014 - 06:45 AM, said:

Their stated reason, and I paraphrase, was "it was a placeholder for the Yen-Lo Wang."

That is as much a load of bull now as it was then.

#25 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I loved this unit in closed beta and would play my Centurions a lot more if I had access to it again.

#26 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

#freeCN9-AH

#27 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

I won't stop signing these until I get it back. Besides, if you look at the Cent as kind of a starter mech for newbies (and it is a great mech for learning how to use one side to shield the other) then it's a pretty awful crime to only have an MC or stupid expensive C-Bill option for the third.

Plus, it's the only non-zombie Cent. That alone is quite different.

#28 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I have tweeted this question to Russ, I will report back if/when he responds.

#freeCN9-AH #nohope #imasadloserwhohashtagstoomuch

#29 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Did it have 2 or 3 missile hardpoints?

#30 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 27 January 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

3 If I am not mistaken.

#31 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostHobo Dan, on 27 January 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

#freeCN9-AH

Sig-worthy.

But I still say **** Twitter.

#32 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 27 January 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

3 Ballistic in the Right Arm, 2 Missile in the Left Torso. AMS Right Torso.

#33 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

For Justice.

#34 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostBagheera, on 28 January 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

For Justice.

I do think this does come into it.

Those from CB remember the problems the K2 caused, PGI never adjusted the hardpoints. The sole reason for the AH removal was the YLW. The AH is the only mech that has Ballistic/Missile exclusively (some people do build to this though on other mechs). You now have the Blackjack Champion (remember this is a build PGI endorsed running around with an AC/20 and 3 ML plus a jump jet, more weaponry than YLW). The AH doesn't jump, and isn't unbalanced. It has a fan club of Centurion pilots that eagerly await the return.

There have been more than a few great injustices where PGI has never admitted any fault on their own part (Raven Reign of Terror?). I doubt they will get much good will that way. Sometimes you have to be willing to give a little if you want co-operation.

#35 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Got my vote!

#36 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

At the risk of preaching to the choir, here's my thing:

It's not the AC20 that, canonically speaking, made the YLW unique. It's the claw. The claw that is notably absent from the game in which melee is also notably absent.

I really think, because of this, the YLW could have waited until later and been released after the inclusion of melee, as part of its promotion, and boosting it's sales by virtue of what was supposed to be it's distinguishing feature in the first place. Had this been the case then there would have been no reason to remove the -AH.

I don't know why they chose the YLW as the first (?) hero mech, but that's why I think it was the wrong choice.

#37 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostBagheera, on 30 January 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

I don't know why they chose the YLW as the first (?) hero mech, but that's why I think it was the wrong choice.

Yen Lo Wang is the single best known mech in the Inner Sphere. The moment they mentioned Hero Mech, Yen Lo Wang was always the prime candidate. It is the history of the mech that made it unique and a true "hero" mech, not the attributes.

That said, they should have added 2 energy harpoints to the Left Arm to ensure upgradeability to later versions. It still would not be overpowered due to what later mechs have added.

As for the claw, remember, Justin Xiang (Allard) defeated Gray Noton by using a set of titanium nails in a surprise move. He knew what was coming and used the tactic he chose. In most matches, the nails never came into it. We have no melee, true, but the nails were never that much of an edge. Sure, they could have cut the engine rating to a 200, and put in a claw (and this may come later if we ever see melee), but at the time it was useless tonnage, something they already suffer with the Atlas D-DC (an OP variant if ever I saw one) with the Command Console.

#38 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

I don't pilot Centurions but I vote for the CN9-AH to be reintroduced. Can't argue against more mechs. :D

#39 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostVoidsinger, on 30 January 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

Yen Lo Wang is the single best known mech in the Inner Sphere.

Fair enough. Wasn't really thinking of it from that perspective. All I really remembered about it was the melee. Still wish they had focused on that more; because it would mean we had melee. :D

#40 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostBagheera, on 30 January 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Fair enough. Wasn't really thinking of it from that perspective. All I really remembered about it was the melee. Still wish they had focused on that more; because it would mean we had melee. :D

No problem. Hero mechs without a history won't do nearly as well. With all the customisation, standard mechs are just as potent and playable. It is the history that truly sets a hero apart.

Other interesting piece of trivia: When Michael Stackpole first wrote Warrior: En Garde! there were no rules for claws. These came later when Solaris VII was released. So, a novel for Battletech had a feature in it before the rules were in place. This is why the descriptions of battles were so interesting, there was no ingame rules to describe what would happen, so he got a little colourful.

:-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users