#41 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostMercy Killing, on 04 December 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

I'm noticing a lot more heavy mechs in the mix for about the past month. Every time I log in to play, there's always upwards of 45% heavies out there. Kinda makes for hard to balance matchmaker, methinks. What say you lot?

Current new released mech has been the Hellbringer. Not to mention the Heavy queue is also normally a little larger anyway...

#42 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostMercy Killing, on 04 December 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

I'm noticing a lot more heavy mechs in the mix for about the past month. Every time I log in to play, there's always upwards of 45% heavies out there. Kinda makes for hard to balance matchmaker, methinks. What say you lot?

Releases of new mechs will always lead to a flood of people trying them out, so the matchmaker will just have to shut up and deal every time a new chassis comes out.

#43 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 03 February 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

This guide isn't about working around exploits. My point is that a lot of imbalance in MWO right now is being created by bad decision-making. People get impatient and run off on their own. People get greedy/freaked out and run after the Jenner. THESE are what creates stomps. My guide exists as an experiment to see how many stomps can be prevented by teaching the community to play smarter.

I like the advice, but don't buy that better piloting leads to better balance (But then I don't think MWO is show-stoppingly unbalanced anyway).

There will always (I hope) be plenty of new players in pug queue who won't be following your advice and it only takes a couple of them to be on one side to potentially throw the match into a stomp.

In my experience, worse stomps are more common in group queue, where in most cases I'd say players are following your points. When it happens, I don't attribute it to holy-trinity-meta-ra-derp-blah. It's normally just that the other team includes a less casual unit with more skill.

#44 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

how does that balance the timberwolf to not being too epic and buff the bad mechs to not suck?

also No. 5 is dangerous, very dangerous, when a nova passes by, its a prio 1 target, because a Nova cna do horrible damage yet its not a metamech because its supersquishy. And thats why it has to die first. to take out this damage as soon and easily as possible.

and yes what z00med said, follow the fatlas and other fatties. Unless you are the 130kph+ harassing pice of broken hitreg, don't go alone, its dangerous out there.

also on sticking wiht the group: people then often make a group mech cuddling, which is also horrible, sticking with group means: staying within each others weapons range to act as a group, but not to be the arty one strike wonderball. It's not powerrangers and you are not able to form a superrobot out of many mechs, it only results in a supersized ball of metal scrap.

#45 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 05 January 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

how does that balance the timberwolf to not being too epic and buff the bad mechs to not suck?

Because not even a Timberwolf can stand up to twelve enemy Vindicators if the Timberwolf is alone. :D

This game is all about divide and conquer at this point. Create mismatches, whittle the enemy team down a bit, and you've got a snowball going.

Good points on your other sayings, tho.

#46 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

As ive said before...

Dont expect much from Pugs.

MWO has a steep learning curve and doesnt really have a beginner mode/area.

That said,

The veterans can 'encourage' the newbs via chat(dont expect much)

OR, use a laser as a laser-pointer...this is likely the way to herd cats.

Example:
Match last night on Caustic, and we were having a nice camping session on the lakeside ridge...standard.
I tell them to push CCW around cuz i scouted the enemy was working around(slowly) our left flank.
So i go to the left of the firing line, in front of the second line guys just sitting there hiding from the 1 enemy lrm boat, and shoot across their face to the direction we should go.

About the 3rd shot they start moving looking to shoot something.

#47 Bhodi Li773

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • Locationwww.PhoenixDominion.com

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:07 PM

With the current iteration of ECM locking targets is almost impossible some games.( lrm boats should bring their own TAG).This is why you NEED scouts.A SINGLE scout with TAG can easily win or lose a game.Along with this people are waiting for a lock before shooting at a target.WHY? Visual on enemy Mech LIGHT 'EM UP.I have had many games where people were looking at the enemy but not shooting until they had a lock, meanwhile I'm going to town on his armor already.We have also seen that enemy mech standing there ,in plain sight ,but under ECM.LRM can BE DUMMYFIRED.This means missiles will go to your targeting reticule without a lock .Aim upper torso to head and your missiles will hit like they do with a target lock.I have killed many mechs like this and then been accused of cheating.FIRE AND FORGET weapons are the norm not the exception.

#48 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

Nice post.. but these help balance things like timbers... how?

#49 saharmali

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

[color=#959595]If you're spinning in circles trying to kill a Spider, you're expending a lot of time and effort on a very small percentage of the enemy's firepower. Obviously, this is bad. It's one thing if you're a dedicated light-killer, brandishing a supple mech equipped with streaks, an LB 10-X AC, or plenty of energy weapons. Otherwise, you're not the best person to hit lights. Besides, if you're following #2 and staying in a group, whatever light harassment you pick up will have to deal with your teammates as well, from multiple angles. Not good for them.[/color]

[color=#959595]Posted Image[/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users