20 replies to this topic

#1 Ebonkosh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 120 posts
  • Locationwashington dc

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

If there was a few wolverine warriors that came back in some secret ship to the IS then what faction would they align with? I had planned on joining a clan and Wolverine or Minnesota tribe sounded interesting but with the preorder clan mech prices and such I am a bit turned off to the clans now. I do not know much of the lore or such so let me know what you think would be a good faction fit for a theoretical Clan wolverine warrior that came back to IS.

Ebonkosh in game

#2 Zinkor

Rookie

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

Well... None that you can play. The rumor that Delvin Stone used to bait the Ghost Bears into fighting against the Word of Blake was that the "Minnesota Tribe" was contacted by ComStar, and started a new life on Mars. The leader then integrated with and re purposed ComStar from the inside. Of course this is just a theory from sarna.

The main bulk of Clan Wolverine, and therefore the supposed origins of the Minnesota Tribe, were the members and families of the 331st Royal Battlemech Division, which was a Terran Hegemony unit. More than likely none of the members would willingly serve a house lord, and since merc units will be working FOR houselords, the only real choice would be lone wolf sadly...

It's an interesting choice for a faction to be sure, and I think that there should be more information about them. Unfortunately, Nicholas Kerensky decided to use them as a scape goat that the other clans could unite against.

#3 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

The only playable faction for the Wolverines would be Steiner actually, as the 331st RBMD originated from the Steiner sector before the first Exodus. The factions which would more fit the Wolverines (Clan Wolverine and Comstar) are not selectable.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 02 February 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#4 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

As a side note the original Minnesota Tribe unit formed for MW:O, but I think since disbanded.

#5 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 02 February 2014 - 01:40 AM, said:

As a side note the original Minnesota Tribe unit formed for MW:O, but I think since disbanded.

um... The German section is still up and running as you can see from my sig :angry: . As for the American/Oceanic sections, we are heard that they are still up and running, but havent seen them around to be honest (probably due to time zone differences).

If you are interrested in looking up the US section, then MT Slayer is the guy to contact.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 02 February 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#6 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:59 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 02 February 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

um... The German section is still up and running as you can see from my sig :angry: . As for the American/Oceanic sections, we are heard that they are still up and running, but havent seen them around to be honest (probably due to time zone differences).

If you are interrested in looking up the US section, then MT Slayer is the guy to contact.

Ah, I'm really glad I was in error. We played you guys a bunch back in the good old days (and I mean OLD days, we were still the 1st Gold Knights I believe back then, heh.)

It is nice to see the MT is still up and kicking!

#7 Zinkor

Rookie

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 02 February 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

The only playable faction for the Wolverines would be Steiner actually, as the 331st RBMD originated from the Steiner sector before the first Exodus. The factions which would more fit the Wolverines (Clan Wolverine and Comstar) are not selectable.

The 331st was a Royal unit, which can only be used by Terran Hegemony units in the SLDF. The 331st was also deployed to the Lyran Commonwealth to prevent the nation from seceding from the first star league. Considering that history its doubtful they would have open hostility of Steiner, but its a stretch to say they would join the Commonwealth.

#8 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

View PostZinkor, on 02 February 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

Well... None that you can play. The rumor that Delvin Stone used to bait the Ghost Bears into fighting against the Word of Blake was that the "Minnesota Tribe" was contacted by ComStar, and started a new life on Mars. The leader then integrated with and re purposed ComStar from the inside. Of course this is just a theory from sarna.

The main bulk of Clan Wolverine, and therefore the supposed origins of the Minnesota Tribe, were the members and families of the 331st Royal Battlemech Division, which was a Terran Hegemony unit. More than likely none of the members would willingly serve a house lord, and since merc units will be working FOR houselords, the only real choice would be lone wolf sadly...

It's an interesting choice for a faction to be sure, and I think that there should be more information about them. Unfortunately, Nicholas Kerensky decided to use them as a scape goat that the other clans could unite against.

There are a couple of Source books that include panels with 'jarballed' code that all but confirms exactly that. You have to read it closely, but its essentially a Comstar message denigrating the clans and talking up their "Wolverine" affiliation.
So, the insinuation is that Minneosta wreaked havoc for a bit, but then Comstar clamed them down and gave them an offer to join the Com Guards (which wasn't that big back then).

#9 Alexander Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

Well that's sort of the idea behind this...

Word of Blake cabal

During the Word of Blake Jihad, Chandrasekhar Kurita would supposedly uncover a series of unconfirmed documents of questionable provenance that apparently revealed the fate of the Wolverines. Indicating the survivors who fled Clan-space indeed reached the Inner Sphere as the so-called "Minnesota Tribe", the document claims that ComStar, rather than losing the trail met and offered the Wolverines refuge. Upon reaching Terra and settling on Mars, while many of the Wolverines were content to merely rest, scientist and leader of the exiled Clan's civilian population Peter Marillier forged a plan that would transform the Wolverines into a secret faction within ComStar The so-called Blood that would first aid then co-opt the organization from within, directing it to ultimate dominion over both the Inner Sphere and Clans.[9]

Despite a lack of any solid proof and large question marks as to its providence, Chandrasekhar Kurita and Devlin Stone would pass this document to Clan Ghost Bear in 3074, taking the Bears by complete surprise. While previously staying aloof from the maelstrom of the Jihad, the apparent revelation that their most sworn enemy were the driving force behind the Word of Blake prompted them to plunge full-force into the conflict. Despite Ghost Bear scientists genetically testing the remains of every Blakist defeated to try and authenticate the report, no conclusive evidence was ever found linking the Word of Blake to Clan Wolverine. [10]

This has been used by some people as Handwavium to explain how the heck the WoB got the tech they did in such a short amount of time, they were building off of Clan Stuff, not Star League Stuff.

Edited by Alexander Steel, 08 February 2014 - 02:17 AM.

#10 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:30 AM

View PostAlexander Steel, on 08 February 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

This has been used by some people as Handwavium to explain how the heck the WoB got the tech they did in such a short amount of time, they were building off of Clan Stuff, not Star League Stuff.

The challenge for me in this theory is that for 200+ years the Wolverines kept it apart from Comstar, no clan tech in Tukayyid for example.

Thats an awful long time and more than one "leader" all pursuing the same consistent agenda. Don't know how realistic that is considering human frailities etc.

I could get behind a kinda "refugee" thing for Wolverine (ie, just the people, no ships, no tech, no specs), but Comstar would be want something from them for the last 200+ years, what did they get before then?

Heck even the Dante Frigate was mothballed cause Comstar couldn't keep up, if Wolverine had the tech they would not have put them in orbit?

#11 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostAlexander Steel, on 08 February 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

View PostCraig Steele, on 08 February 2014 - 02:30 AM, said:

The challenge for me in this theory is that for 200+ years the Wolverines kept it apart from Comstar, no clan tech in Tukayyid for example.

Thats an awful long time and more than one "leader" all pursuing the same consistent agenda. Don't know how realistic that is considering human frailities etc.

I could get behind a kinda "refugee" thing for Wolverine (ie, just the people, no ships, no tech, no specs), but Comstar would be want something from them for the last 200+ years, what did they get before then?

Heck even the Dante Frigate was mothballed cause Comstar couldn't keep up, if Wolverine had the tech they would not have put them in orbit?

However, it should be noted that Clan Wolverine was considered to be annihilated by 2823, with the Minnesota Tribe appearing in the Inner Sphere in 2825, while "Clan tech" in any recognizable form (that is, as distinct from SLDF tech/LosTech) didn't appear until after the Minnesota Tribe has appeared in the Inner Sphere.

As such, the Minnesota Tribe would have had access to Royals-level Star League tech (basically, the same stuff as LosTech, plus extra things like advanced versions of the full body cooling suit), rather than Clan tech as we know it.

#12 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

Consider that for 250 years nobody realized ComStar had an army of mechs that was close to some of the Successor Houses, or for 250 nobody realized Comstar had a fleet of warships.

Also 200 years ago Omni-mechs weren't even invented in clan space. Wolverine's were gone from clan space around 2823. The first Omin-Mech wasn't invented until 2854.

In other words there is no reason to think that the Wolverine Clan would have come up with what we consider "Clan Tech" they would have followed their own tech path.

#13 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

View PostAlexander Steel, on 09 February 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

Consider that for 250 years nobody realized ComStar had an army of mechs that was close to some of the Successor Houses, or for 250 nobody realized Comstar had a fleet of warships.

Also 200 years ago Omni-mechs weren't even invented in clan space. Wolverine's were gone from clan space around 2823. The first Omin-Mech wasn't invented until 2854.

In other words there is no reason to think that the Wolverine Clan would have come up with what we consider "Clan Tech" they would have followed their own tech path.

Ummm, maybe.

Clans made advancements prior to the golden centuary although ofc, GC was the pinnacle. But for Wolverine to sit there for 250+ years and give "nothing" to Comstar in exchange for protection, that just defies belief. Comstar have never been portrayed as a benevolent orgainsation except by their own propaganda so why would they provide safe refuge for Wolverine without getting something back?

2800+ was the height of the 2nd SW and technology was already going backwards in droves. Comstar had every reason to "ask" for something and if the Wolverines had "nothing" to give, why would Comstar protect them?

It really doesn't matter what anyone else knew or didn't, this would have been a Comstar vs Wolverine discussion. Even if you could argue the first Circuit of the day was a soft touch, in the next 250 years there would have been what, 7 - 8 First Circuits with different views. Someone would have said "hey, you wanna stay in the shadows, give us something to make the light brighter"

#14 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

I don't know, the idea that they were building things up for many years makes more sense to me than the idea that the Word of Blake which wasn't formed until after 3052 in 15 years came up with tech by themselves that was better than anything the IS or Clans had.

That's even more silly.

People like the Wolverine-Comstar link because it fixes one MASSIVE problem during the Jihad and tries to make that entire mess slightly less stupid at the cost of a large problem during the time when everybody is happy with.

Another problem with the Wolverine-Comstar link is why the heck would Comstar need a traitor to show them where the clan world's were if they had members of Clan Wolverine in house. They could have just asked them.

It basically boils down to the Jihad was so horribly done that people want to find something, anything to make it less so.

Like how they did the clans. Wolf's Dragoons were members of the clans that were sent to the IS. Cool... but wait.. in the source book for the Wolf's Dragoons before this was decided Captain Natasha Kerensky has a P/G score of 5/4. She wouldn't have won any blood name with that sort of rating, much less a Kerensky one.

RETCONNED!!!

Edited by Alexander Steel, 09 February 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#15 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostAlexander Steel, on 09 February 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

I don't know, the idea that they were building things up for many years makes more sense to me than the idea that the Word of Blake which wasn't formed until after 3052 in 15 years came up with tech by themselves that was better than anything the IS or Clans had.

That's even more silly.

People like the Wolverine-Comstar link because it fixes one MASSIVE problem during the Jihad and tries to make that entire mess slightly less stupid at the cost of a large problem during the time when everybody is happy with.

Another problem with the Wolverine-Comstar link is why the heck would Comstar need a traitor to show them where the clan world's were if they had members of Clan Wolverine in house. They could have just asked them.

It basically boils down to the Jihad was so horribly done that people want to find something, anything to make it less so.

Like how they did the clans. Wolf's Dragoons were members of the clans that were sent to the IS. Cool... but wait.. in the source book for the Wolf's Dragoons before this was decided Captain Natasha Kerensky has a P/G score of 5/4. She wouldn't have won any blood name with that sort of rating, much less a Kerensky one.

RETCONNED!!!

FASA had a way of looking back at the smoky bits of the lore and saying "oh you know what, we can make our new idea fit in like this........"

One of the advantages of leaving things smoky at the start I guess, LOL

#16 Pablo Lafeet

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 07:01 AM

I suggest that the Wolverines made it across the Inner Sphere and established a new home in the Periphery.
As for their technical path, yes, they would have continued to improve and develop differently than the remainder of the Clans.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 December 2023 - 04:25 PM

An interesting subject,
but you're too late I fear.
'Cause you have missed the topic
by only nine whole years!

Necro, necro, necro!
Your posting is in vain
'Cause all these other posters?
Well, none of them still play!

#18 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:47 AM

View PostEbonkosh, on 01 February 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

If there was a few wolverine warriors that came back in some secret ship to the IS then what faction would they align with? I had planned on joining a clan and Wolverine or Minnesota tribe sounded interesting but with the preorder clan mech prices and such I am a bit turned off to the clans now. I do not know much of the lore or such so let me know what you think would be a good faction fit for a theoretical Clan wolverine warrior that came back to IS.

Ebonkosh in game
wolf-in-exile.

#19 Stratos331

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 12:07 PM

Long live the McEvedy bloodline

#20 MT Titan

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 25 February 2024 - 02:51 PM

Redemption & Malice was the last official record of Clan Wolverine Descendants By Blain Lee Pardoe, Basically they are out in the Deep Periphery rebuilding and looking for all the lost tech out in the periphery, They are aligned with no one, and are a secret society, They remember the Great Betrayal, and consider all life precious and pretty much, They are now known as the Clave, and have a elder body rules over their society. As for MechWarrior Online there are a few of us that still play from the 90s me being one of them, we are not disbanded we stick to ourselves and don't recruit anyone outside the old family, We are here in MWO as beacon for those old Tribesmen who do come back we leave a light in the window to come home to though we have no canon representation in the game we are here.

Edited by MT Titan, 26 February 2024 - 09:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users