152 replies to this topic

#141 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:29 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 31 August 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

I cant possibly express how happy and satisfied it makes me to see these weird wannabe "trolls" getting banned.

Edit: Lol that thread. Are they REALLY saying they got banned because they are gay? And people believe them and jump on Alex G. because of that?

Jesus people over there...

Edited by Iqfish, 01 September 2015 - 06:50 AM.

#142 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostIqfish, on 01 September 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

I cant possibly express how happy and satisfied it makes me to see these weird wannabe "trolls" getting banned.

Edit: Lol that thread. Are they REALLY saying they got banned because they are gay? And people believe them and jump on Alex G. because of that?

Remember, people over there probably haven't had to deal with their insulting behavior over here.

A good "troll" (what they claimed to be) tends to make funny remarks that makes everyone chuckle at them. What they did was find out what made you upset, wait for you to tell them that what they said felt insulting, and then they would continue to say it knowing it made people upset. That's not making "fun posts", like they claimed.

(I recall a "Go home merc pig" phrase, in particular. Then the LRM hate in the New Player forum...)

Of course, that was just some of them. I don't know about all of their members, so if the whole unit got banned, I'm not sure that was exactly proper. (But, between the two reputations, I believe Alex G. far more out of the two of them. NKVA has already established a reputation of not being overly cooperative, helpful, nor overly honest. They have a reputation of being insulting and disruptive to others, and then proclaiming their innocents afterwards like it never happened. I can recall one CW match I had against them, they aimed just for me (which is fine), but then proclaimed "We killed the LRM guru" in all chat every time they killed me. That was just kinda uncalled for. And I wasn't using LRMs at the time, so it was kinda irrelevant anyway.)

#143 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

Nah, nobody actually believes that. They are just attempting to generate a narrative that they hope will stick. And it isn't, as seen by Buddah's call to bring this to the press for moral outrage and the complete lack of anyone even giving it enough attention to roll their eyes over it.

It's basically a small group of people *********** each other over how clever they think they are, while everyone else just ignores them.

#144 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 September 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

why did this statement remind me of Roadbeer?

Who?

#145 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:59 PM

If they're decent trolls they probably have multiple reddit sock puppet accounts.

They post: "we got banned cuz we gay".

Log onto another account: "Oh, no! Really?"

Log onto another account: "PGI is so mean".

They have 3,000 supporters = 1 guy with 3,000 reddit accounts.

#146 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 02 September 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

Lord of the trolls. I don't know if he is around anymore though.

I think he was being sarcastic lol

#147 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 02 September 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

I hope so cause if he doesn't know who Roadbeer is then he has no idea what real trolling is.

Huh... is that a fact?

#148 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 02 February 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

THAT!!! It took 2 years for MW4 Vengeance. MWO is not MechWarrior it is becoming better at being a MechWarrior game but the older Mechwarrior2-Mechwarrior4 Mercenaries PC games were in many ways much better than MWO is at 3 years of progress.[redacted]

[image deleted]

Except for the fact that PGI went FTP. If it was a regular game where you purchase it and they provide updates, it wouldn't be as poorly received.

#149 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 05 September 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Except for the fact that PGI went FTP. If it was a regular game where you purchase it and they provide updates, it wouldn't be as poorly received.

A. Post you are quoting is over a year old. (Just an FYI.)

B. I'm fairly certain that MW4 took more than 2 years to produce, and if it took less it's probably because it took elements from MW3. (MW4 Vengeance was the first MW4 game, not an expansion, right? If it's an expansion, then it probably would take a lot less time to create.)

C. MW4 (or any fully completed game upon release) was not released in a partial state, and then worked on while being openly and actively played.

D. Because MWO was being played before it was even near finished, this probably delayed progress. (We also had IGP do some strange things too.) If they had 2 years to solidly work on the product, then release it and continue to provide updates and expanded content, I'm sure the game's production would be farther along than it currently is.

Just some case in points. If it mattered. (Not idea what FTP is shorthand for...)

#150 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 05 September 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Nope way wrong.

Are there any links you can provide to back up this? I can't find any information on MW4: Vengeance's production times. However, from every other game I've looked up that displayed their production times (God of War and Guild Wars 2, among others) till full release, it's always been 3-5+ years. (So far, I'll admit.) I just find it a bit hard to believe that MW4 would be a game that would break away from this trend I've seen.

#151 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 05 September 2015 - 09:04 PM, said:

http://www.localditc...or/history.html

I was actually a little off 18 months. So at tops around 2 years. Look at MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries though. Created in 2002 right after in 2001, Black Knight Expansion was released, and Mercenaries had a hell of a lot more game mechanics and such in it, as well as upgrading and expanding the original MW4 engine. Development for it was probably only a year.

I'd like to point out something from within your own quote:

Mechwarrior 4

Based on the original Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior 4 is developed by FASA Interactive, now as a division of Microsoft. The team, however, consists of the same group that had programmed the Battletech Tesla pods, and in fact, initially bases MW4 on libraries from the MUNGA engine that the pods use (Wagner, 2000).
After 18-20 months of work (Wagner), the game is released in 2000. While Mechwarrior 3 is an enhancement to the core MW2 gameplay, the fourth in the series places more focus on action.
Despite ruffling the feathers of a few older fans, the results are successful, as Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance sees several add-ons, including Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries (2002), the Inner Sphere and Clan Mech Packs (2002), and MW4: The Black Knight (2001).
Just as VWEG's Battletech influenced the Mechwarrior series, the same is done in return. The Mechwarrior 4 engine is converted for use in the latest Tesla pods under the name Battletech: Firestorm.

They had:
1. An experienced crew, who already created a very similar styled game.
2. They used coding and gaming engines that they already knew. (They had a head start.)
3. They didn't have to code the entire product from the ground up, in a live playable/playing environment. They could produce more faster by having fewer interruptions and pauses to fix bugs or to get something working now to make it at least playable. They also didn't have a backer who could dictate what needed to be worked on and what projects were a priority. (Such as IGP's gold mechs, and making the Clans release take up production and fixing resources.)
4. They also probably had a larger crew than MWO did/does, as well as had more experience with their gaming production. (PGI I feel wasn't prepared nor experienced with the style (free to play) game production that was chosen for MWO. This caused a lot of mis-steps and slowed production.)

Most games take 2-5 years to produce, 2 years being if they already have some coding/engines to work off of before hand. (Such as MW4's 18-20 month production.) Keep in mind that, besides the Cryengine itself, PGI had to write just about all of the coding to make MWO work themselves. For a game that's been playable for (close to?) 3 years, I'd say they're rather well on schedule.

#152 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostTesunie, on 07 September 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

I'd like to point out something from within your own quote:

They had:
1. An experienced crew, who already created a very similar styled game.
2. They used coding and gaming engines that they already knew. (They had a head start.)
3. They didn't have to code the entire product from the ground up, in a live playable/playing environment. They could produce more faster by having fewer interruptions and pauses to fix bugs or to get something working now to make it at least playable. They also didn't have a backer who could dictate what needed to be worked on and what projects were a priority. (Such as IGP's gold mechs, and making the Clans release take up production and fixing resources.)
4. They also probably had a larger crew than MWO did/does, as well as had more experience with their gaming production. (PGI I feel wasn't prepared nor experienced with the style (free to play) game production that was chosen for MWO. This caused a lot of mis-steps and slowed production.)

Most games take 2-5 years to produce, 2 years being if they already have some coding/engines to work off of before hand. (Such as MW4's 18-20 month production.) Keep in mind that, besides the Cryengine itself, PGI had to write just about all of the coding to make MWO work themselves. For a game that's been playable for (close to?) 3 years, I'd say they're rather well on schedule.

Agreed. A lot of community members with developer experience don't seem at all surprised by how long it's taken for MWO to develop. Throw in the fact that this team was working with an unfamiliar engine and that they had to rewrite a lot of the game because of the initial rush forced upon them, and the fact that after all this time they're still releasing stuff and haven't missed a patch, and it does speak well for PGI. Regardless of how they've handled the PR.

#153 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:01 AM

I feel like nobody here has really pressed the lack of experience and skill PGI had. Has anyone even seen the games they made before MWO? I was flabbergasted that anyone would even give them a chance with the MW IP and money to do so.

From that I would have guessed MWO would be as ******** as most games on Steam greenlight. But instead we got a playable game (that really needs optimising) with a solid core that I've spent some money on without regret. Only thing I regret is not buying the HBK-IIC package when it was in earlybird.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users