Would You Like To See This In The Mechbay?

91 replies to this topic

Poll: mechbay additions (574 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see engine size and module icons?

1. Yes! It would help immensely! (547 votes [95.30%])

Percentage of vote: 95.30%

2. No, this idea is stupid. (4 votes [0.70%])

Percentage of vote: 0.70%

3. I like the information, but presented another way (clarify please). (23 votes [4.01%])

Percentage of vote: 4.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Posted Image

Small icons representing which modules are on each mech, and a bit of text denoting the engine.
Would make it much easier to find your gear... especially when you have 60 + mechs to rifle through :rolleyes:

And guys, hit the UI 2.0 suggestion compilation thread and point out what I've missed.

Edited by juxstapo, 05 February 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#2 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Anything that gives more infomation up-front to the user to save him from the amount of clicking that already goes on would be an upgrade to what we currently have. Even in the mech-lab. There's no way to see where your mech's hardpoints are unless you actually click on the location to look - how can we know what component we want to edit if we don't know what the component is all about?

UI2.0 is a treasure hunt. We need more visible clues and less hiding places.

With 47 mechs myself, I can relate to the feeling of losing items and spending a great deal of time just to find something. Headache!

Edit: Someone liked this post, and I own 110 mechs now.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 22 January 2015 - 11:06 AM.

#3 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Vote for me bro!

Dev's keep claiming they'll pay attention to polls

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 05 February 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Anything that gives more infomation up-front to the user to save him from the amount of clicking that already goes on would be an upgrade to what we currently have. Even in the mech-lab. There's no way to see where your mech's hardpoints are unless you actually click on the location to look - how can we know what component we want to edit if we don't know what the component is all about?

UI2.0 is a treasure hunt, and more visible information is a nessecity.

With 47 mechs myself, I can relate to the feeling of losing items and spending a great deal of time just to find something. Headache!

As someone with a similar number (49 I think?) I second this. Trying to find a lost engine or module is an exercise in "Oh, for ***k's sake, I'm going to go do something else."

#5 icy22

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I think this would be an awesome idea.

#6 Jaranath

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Yes, this please, or something like it.

I like many of UI2.0's improvements, but there are fundamental things that still need work. It takes MORE clicks now to do some things, and some information (like engines) is harder to find. If there's concern about clutter with some of these features, just give us an option in the panel to turn them off.

#7 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

The dev's need to see this. An inventory roster is another page, but this gives us most of the necessary functionality for tracking stuff down right in the mech lab!
It's perfect!

#8 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

I like this idea to, beat me to posting it. If they can also add this on the inventory page (and have the names there link to the mechs in mechlab) it would really make navigation much more intuitive.

#9 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

<S> Much appreciated guys. Spread the word and lets see if we can bump the poll numbers to an undeniable level. :ph34r: Hopefully we can net something close by next patch.

#10 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

I really like the idea, well presented. I'd also like to see more info on the right side (tons of real estate there) for the selected mech, specifically engine size, ammo count per ammo type, modules, and cockpit items.

#11 Rathmere

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, Australia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

hells yeah! hotfix please! spent ages trying to find modules last night!

#12 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

I think that the greatest fix to this would be to have the UI do the swap for you. So you opened up your Firestarter and realize that you don't remember where you left your XL295. Instead of thinking to yourself "I think I left in my Raven..." You click on Engine and scroll down to XL295 and there it is. Instead of saying "Owned 0" it says "Owned 1". You think, "sweet" and hit equip and a message pops up that says "This item is currently in use by another mech. Reassign?" with a "Yes" button a "Cancel" button and a "Purchase New" Button. Easy. Done. No searching. No need for nifty little icons. It can do it for EVERYTHING. Engines, Heatsinks, modules, AMS, ammo...whatever...Sky's the limit. If you don't already own a version, it automatically purchases it just like now.

Edited by MnDragon, 05 February 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#13 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

MnDragon, personally I'd still like to be able to see what modules and engines are already in my mechs at a glance. But I do concur, being able to use your expensive bits without having to physically (sic) go down there and get them yourself :ph34r: would be a very welcome addition. Adding to the compilation thread.

#14 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 05 February 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

MnDragon, personally I'd still like to be able to see what modules and engines are already in my mechs at a glance. But I do concur, being able to use your expensive bits without having to physically (sic) go down there and get them yourself :ph34r: would be a very welcome addition. Adding to the compilation thread.

I can totally understand being able to see at a glance what is on the mech. Nothing irritates me more than to drop in and realize "crap, I forgot to mount a UAV" as I plunge my squishy light into the heart of enemy lines.

EDIT: OMG...You can say crap now!!!

Edited by MnDragon, 05 February 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#15 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

I like the idea, especially regarding the modules.

I don't need a reminder which of my 'Mechs has which engine, however. I understand others may find it useful, but if we're including everything that someone wants to see, more and more information would ultimately become "too much" - which UI 2.0 is suffering from greatly.

The ideal compromise might just be a set of checkboxes in the options. Let the player decide what he or she wants to see. Then you could even add icons for the weapons installed, or if the 'Mech has ammunition loaded, etc. :ph34r:

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 05 February 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#16 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

It would be nice to see this at a glance. But I would much prefer it on a list view. I don't need a huge thumbnail of the mech with little to no information displayed.

The Grid view drives me insane. Even in websites I just find it tedious to use.

#17 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostMordynak, on 06 February 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

It would be nice to see this at a glance. But I would much prefer it on a list view. I don't need a huge thumbnail of the mech with little to no information displayed.

The Grid view drives me insane. Even in websites I just find it tedious to use.

Indeed. List view would be the best. But since there will be the option to toggle between both (the button is already there) I fully support this suggestion.

#18 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Assuming the size of the icons for the mechs is increased, this would be very nice.

But even if it weren`t and the module icons themselves would be too small, you could at least see IF modules were installed, even if not which ones.

I fully support this.

#19 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

While having pictures of the modules helps there still needs to be a tooltip that tells you the name of the module when you mouse over it.

#20 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

More easy access INFO is always good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users