Modules Inside Of Weapons / New Module Mechanic

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Weapon Modules And Slots (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like and support the authors idea?

1. Yes, it would bring the costumization to a new level (7 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. Yes, but i would like another implementation. (Comment below) (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. No, i dont like it. (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dunkelfalke

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

With the recent release of weapon modules, the need for more module-slots has arose. Instead of implementing a new layer of slots to mechs, why not use the slots which are already there?

The following has come to my mind:

Lets take a Tier1 Large-Laser-Module which increases the base range of a LL by 10 meters. On the other hand we have a Large Laser, which occupies 2 Slots in our current mech. This Laser itself has its own 2 slots which can be filled with different modules. Lets assume, the Tier1 LL-Module takes up 1 slot. This way you could place 2 of these Tier1-Modules in a Large Laser and increase the overall base range by 20 meters. This way, you can personalize your weapons the way you want. You could even configure one Large Laser to have a shorter range but more firepower and another to have more range but lower firepower or whatever you want.

To balance the different modules, especially for larger weapons like the AC/20 with 7 slots, some modules may take more then one slot. A Module to increase the AC/20 damage may need 3 slots, so only 2 of them can be put into an AC/20.

The whole concept is not limited to weapons. It can be extended to all Items. Think of Gyros, Engines, Actuators and so on. All could be modified to get an individual mech with individual quirks.

Here a is picture how this could look like in mechlab. (bad paint skills (used the picture of the adv. smurfy/UI2.0-sketch)). The upper AC/5 has 2 modules attached, the lower AC/5 has none modules attached:

Posted Image

Benefits:
- Weapon-Costumization on the same layer
- no new mech slots needed
- not limited to weapons (engine, sensors, gyro, etc. possible)

Drawbacks:
- different costumized weapons of the same type may be difficult to handle for the server

What do you thinkof this idee? Worth a try or does it need polish?

Edited by Dunkelfalke, 16 May 2014 - 04:55 AM.

#2 Lomak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Nice idee to get more different mechs.

#3 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

If PGI can get this working it seems like a decent way to add a lot of personalization to the game.

#4 Dunkelfalke

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:13 AM

#Update 1: The whole concept is not limited to weapons. It can be extended to all Items. Think of Gyros, Engines, Actuators and so on. All could be modified to get an individual mech with individual quirks.

And thanks for the positv feedback so far.

Edited by Dunkelfalke, 13 February 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#5 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

I like this idea x3

#6 mp00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 319 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn a bottle, Canada

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

My module idea....add more module slots to mechs (yesyes i know how that sounds at first glance hehe), tier all modules like weapon modules are, with class specific amounts and quirks for certain mechs, free slots (some mechs like locust for example would come with sesimic tier 1 just because of ground shaking its poor little self tier 1 would be 90m, tier 2 120m, tier 3 150m, tier 4 180m, tier 5 250m) and some tiers would be unavailbe with size or type limitations, as a example current improved arty/air modules would be the maximum tier of 5 module slots... tier 4 would reduce damage to 30, tier 3 would take 1 second longer to activate and larger area spread, tier 2 would be 20 damag, tier 1 would be just the red smoke, costs would be 10,000 cbills per tier... regular arty/air and is 6 bombs instead of 10.

Other parts to idea allow only 1 tier 5 module per mech? Less used or useful mechs may get additonal module slot or 2. Pretty much same thing as first posted but was typing it and found thread with the recent active post.

Edited by mp00, 07 May 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#7 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

I only see this sky rocketing the price of kitting out your mech. PGI is reworking the module system so that mechs will have generic slots, weapon slots, and sensor/targeting slots. To put a module in a weapon to upgrade one weapon would just further the grind for new players.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

I like this approach for weapon customization.

#9 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:54 AM

While somewhere there is a official rumor that the skill system is reworked - i really hope to see something like that.
cause the not so funny part of current modules is - that my Stalkers - can't hardly use any of those weapon modules - without loosing other more important modules.
I would also say - currently most weapon modules are overpriced and not worth the afford. A - weapon specified system would change that over night.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 13 May 2014 - 12:54 AM.

#10 Dunkelfalke

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:54 AM

As stated during the NGNG-Interview here:http://mwomercs.com/...-110-karl-berg/ this topic migth become popular again.

Also added some aditional content and a poll.

Feedback is appreciated.

#11 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

Would it make sense that the number of slots required for the weapon increase by one to represent the module (or modification, rather) of the weapon? Or, even decrease it by one depending on the module?

And make it permenant; like buying a different weapon from another manufacturer that exhibits different quirks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users