218 replies to this topic

#181 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

That... thing is... ugly. Especially the head.

#182 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostSilence Jin Mang, on 13 February 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Honestly, even going slow in lights now is fine, its called skill. If you have it, you succeed, if you don't, you die. Simple as that.
LOL skill? No. You're half the profile with big boy weapons. Having 50% less mech to hit isn't skill that's just gravy. (I'm on board with slower powerful lights, but calling it skill is stroking your own ego.

Edited by lockwoodx, 06 April 2014 - 07:34 AM.

#183 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 06 April 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

That... thing is... ugly. Especially the head.

The Executioner is always ugly, that is the point. I like to think of it as the second incarnation of the Atlas.

#184 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

View Post101011, on 06 April 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

The Executioner is always ugly, that is the point. I like to think of it as the second incarnation of the Atlas.

Well actually this is the first game in which i like the look of the Atlas. Alex really gave it a nice look (it has been the iconic 'Mech of MWO so far).

I think he could make wonders with Firemoth, Executioner and Gargoyle.

I like many 'Mechs and i tend to find something to like in their designs. This is strange, i kind of "try to like" each 'Mech. However, i never succedeed in liking the Hellbringer very much. Why my fellow warrior Poptimus Rhyme loves it is still a mistery to me.

#185 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 06 April 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Well actually this is the first game in which i like the look of the Atlas. Alex really gave it a nice look (it has been the iconic 'Mech of MWO so far).

I think he could make wonders with Firemoth, Executioner and Gargoyle.

I like many 'Mechs and i tend to find something to like in their designs. This is strange, i kind of "try to like" each 'Mech. However, i never succedeed in liking the Hellbringer very much. Why my fellow warrior Poptimus Rhyme loves it is still a mistery to me.

let's not talk about what he could do with the King Crab. ^^
But I'm very curious about the Wolfhound.

Edited by KuroNyra, 06 April 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#186 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

I hope Alex doesn't follow what those a-hole knuckleheads did with the MechWarrior 4 BS. This includes the Black Knight!

#187 TrunksMaxamillan

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pennsylvannia

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 13 February 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

Not any more than IS tech. Clan ERLLas and ERPPC generate the same heat as IS ERLLas and ERPPC, for example. The theoretical tradeoff is that you get the extra tonnage and physical space to install more double heat sinks and/or simply run less weapons that hit harder.

So, you can cram the same firepower with fewer weapons, trade that free tonnage to heat sinks, and break even, or, if you want, forgo equivalent heat efficiency to maximize firepower, but do not expect any special heat advantage if you do so. Granted, pushing out 60 point alphas on heavy mechs is its own reward... ;)

Wait, how do you know the CERPPC and clan variants of weapons will not be more powerful? I know that mechwarrior games are not cannon, but the majority of games (even MLL) gave slight, if not substantial damage increase in exchange for higher heat rating per weapon. Also, on that note, will it be possible they will not initially allow clan/IS weapon swapping inbetween mechs?

Also, i hope they bring this mech to the playing field before clan release. Favorite IS light mech. ;D

Posted Image

Edited by TrunksMaxamillan, 06 April 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#188 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

They have explicitly stated that there will be no mix-tech...so no, no Clan gear on IS 'Mechs or vice versa.

Likewise, they've also stated that Clan machines will be within 5 tons of "power" vs. IS ones- so a Clan 50 tonner will perform about as well as an IS 55 tonner. Nerf bomb (never mind bat) incoming for THAT.

#189 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

View Postwanderer, on 08 April 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

They have explicitly stated that there will be no mix-tech...so no, no Clan gear on IS 'Mechs or vice versa.

Likewise, they've also stated that Clan machines will be within 5 tons of "power" vs. IS ones- so a Clan 50 tonner will perform about as well as an IS 55 tonner. Nerf bomb (never mind bat) incoming for THAT.

What about the Shadowcat - a 45 tonner that, in the right hands, could toast Heavies and most of the other mediums.

#190 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

Gremlich, that has been some time ago ... namely in MW:LL ...
where people were making fun of Bloodasps and the likes while being in Shadowcats .
Plus there was a working netcode (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in that game, which we still sorely lack in MW:O .

But hey, in the end it´s only two more months of waiting until the speculations will end, at least about how Clans will really perform .

#191 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostHawk819, on 06 April 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

I hope Alex doesn't follow what those a-hole knuckleheads did with the MechWarrior 4 BS. This includes the Black Knight!

Well, the hellhound, even though it was nothing remotely close to canon, was a really cool looking mech.

#192 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 10 April 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

What about the Shadowcat - a 45 tonner that, in the right hands, could toast Heavies and most of the other mediums.

Think of being roughly equal to a Hunchback in terms of firepower. Inner Sphere firepower.

You get no gods here, only humbled shells of what used to be "superior tech".

#193 Fonzie260

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:32 AM

I'm sorry, but after playing the adder.... It simply sucks as a light mech... no speed, no jump jets... yes you can put some damage dealing weapons on it at the cost of very limited timed shots due to heat..... so sorry.. but the adder is a suck mech.

Just my opinion

#194 Herr Dingus

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

I must disagree about the Adder, I quite enjoy it, the thing with it, and to be frank the kit fox, is you have to let go of your ideas of what a light mech does by IS standards. Once you realize that these mechs dont fill the same roll and IS lights and are intended as smaller, more maneuverable fire support then the clan lights come back into their own. Very much like the rest of clan stuff you need you need to understand that they were built for long range, high heat pain. Whats more even with 2CERPPC on an Adder your fire is not that limited so long as you know how to time your shots right in order that you dont over heat. In short dont alpha all the time fire one at a time, if you can hit what you shoot at then timing your shots will deal at least as much damage over time as alpha. That issue once again shows that clan mechs pack more punch but require a more patient and skilled hand to use. If all you know how to do is wolfpack and poptart with your lights then for you the adder and KF probably do suck.

#195 Blanco

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

While this has probably been said multiple times already, clan mechs are not hotrods. The Adder is meant to carry er ppcs or a but load or lrms. At extreme distance, the 106kph max with speed tweak will do great. The kitfox is your source of ecm or anti lrms for medium lances. Put this with some novas and stormcrows, flank, and kill at will. Enjoy.

#196 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostHerr Dingus, on 25 June 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

I must disagree about the Adder, I quite enjoy it, the thing with it, and to be frank the kit fox, is you have to let go of your ideas of what a light mech does by IS standards. Once you realize that these mechs dont fill the same roll and IS lights and are intended as smaller, more maneuverable fire support then the clan lights come back into their own. Very much like the rest of clan stuff you need you need to understand that they were built for long range, high heat pain. Whats more even with 2CERPPC on an Adder your fire is not that limited so long as you know how to time your shots right in order that you dont over heat. In short dont alpha all the time fire one at a time, if you can hit what you shoot at then timing your shots will deal at least as much damage over time as alpha. That issue once again shows that clan mechs pack more punch but require a more patient and skilled hand to use. If all you know how to do is wolfpack and poptart with your lights then for you the adder and KF probably do suck.

Yes

View PostBlanco, on 25 June 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

While this has probably been said multiple times already, clan mechs are not hotrods. The Adder is meant to carry er ppcs or a but load or lrms. At extreme distance, the 106kph max with speed tweak will do great. The kitfox is your source of ecm or anti lrms for medium lances. Put this with some novas and stormcrows, flank, and kill at will. Enjoy.

Yes.

View PostFonzie260, on 25 June 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but after playing the adder.... It simply sucks as a light mech... no speed, no jump jets... yes you can put some damage dealing weapons on it at the cost of very limited timed shots due to heat..... so sorry.. but the adder is a suck mech.

Just my opinion

Or, you know, run the Adder as something other than a cookie cutter light mech:

Mech is fine. People are not. Think outside the box....

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 25 June 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#197 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 25 June 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

Or, you know, run the Adder as something other than a cookie cutter light mech:

Mech is fine. People are not. Think outside the box....

You run the Adder with A lance of adder, using swarm tactics.
That make your argument invalid.

ALL MECH, heck even the Locust ARE dangerous in Swarm.

But caught alone, an Adder is not a real threat.

No offense intended.

But showing a lance video to proove that a mech is good isn't a good example.
Heck, we could demonstrate that Locust are OP like that. X')

Edited by KuroNyra, 25 June 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#198 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

Have you considered that maybe, perhaps, the mech is SUPPOSED to run in groups? Maybe? Possibly? Not an invalid point whatsoever. Even taken as it is, it is a Yen Lo Wang in a mech 15 tons lighter, with similar survivability, a lower profile, and fully compatible with the 3/3/3/3 system.

Or you run it with a pair of LRM15 and ERMLas, and act as an additional missile boat on the team, putting serious hurt down range. Ever think of that? The mech is a fantastic support mech. I have played it solo, in packs, in the front, in the back. Just because it does not do the typical light mech thing does not make it a terrible light mech or DOA.

Again. Think outside the box.

#199 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

If you take at that point of view, yeah. That could make your argument valid.

But do you really think 70% of the player use squad?
Most people drop solo, and not all lance are full Adder.

#200 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Then the mech is not made for everybody? *gasp*

Sarcasm aside, it is a good thing. IS mechs suffer from sameness syndrome which is freaking ********. A RVN should not be a scout any more than a Kit Fox, for example.  Heaven forbid mechs actually adhere to specific roles they were were designed to fill instead of being one size fits all gunboxes. ;) 

Feel like the game would be positively impacted by stricter engine limits across the board with clearly deliniated speed brackets among the IS lights.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 25 June 2014 - 12:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users