Clan Light Mechs - Doa?

218 replies to this topic

#201 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 25 June 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

Have you considered that maybe, perhaps, the mech is SUPPOSED to run in groups? Maybe? Possibly? Not an invalid point whatsoever. Even taken as it is, it is a Yen Lo Wang in a mech 15 tons lighter, with similar survivability, a lower profile, and fully compatible with the 3/3/3/3 system.

Or you run it with a pair of LRM15 and ERMLas, and act as an additional missile boat on the team, putting serious hurt down range. Ever think of that? The mech is a fantastic support mech. I have played it solo, in packs, in the front, in the back. Just because it does not do the typical light mech thing does not make it a terrible light mech or DOA.

Again. Think outside the box.

Though it is true the Adder is not TOTALLY useless, using lights in a swarm is not thinking outside the box.

#202 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

This is true. Lights become exponentially better in swarms. XD

#203 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

No, Pariah. all light mechs all the time are DOA, forever. Game over. :P

#204 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

Adder makes a great thumper to run with kit foxes, same speed, no JJs, but with ecm cover and some good positioning it becomes that medium you would have sent before. That gives you the flexibility to point those nasty stormcrows and novas at big mechs to support your big mechs.

#205 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Well, I've got the basics done on the Adder (and speed tweaked the Prime).

My conclusion: DOA

The Adder is a piece of crap. Too slow. Too fragile. I solo PUG, so I can't always "swarm". And when there is another light pack on.my team, I can't keep pace with them anyway. You pretty much have to stay in a group of bigger, slower mechs and hope people ignore you while you take pot shots and try to steal kills. The cowardly way you must play this mech to survive doesn't feel very "Clan-like".

Edited by NRP, 26 June 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#206 Daneel Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 173 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

I miss running around at 150 like a crazy person.

#207 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

You can wait for the Locust IIc if you want speed. Or the Firemoth.

The Kit Fox and Adder are great mechs in the right hands. Consider the way the Clans fight. These two mechs are perfect for that irrespective of their "slow" speed.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 26 June 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#208 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

It's just a result of the design philosophy of the Clans as opposed to the Inner Sphere, and how each approaches warfare. The inner Sphere builds for flexibility and speed, and so if speed is your primary concern, then a mech from the Inner Sphere is what you will want to pilot. The Clans build for firepower first, last, and always, and if this is your concern, then you should pilot a Clan mech. In terms of survivability, they are about even, with the Clans having a one-tech XL engine that allows survival with penalties, while the Inner Sphere offers either survivability without penalties (standard engines) or complete vunerability to serious damage (XL engines).

In terms of light mechs, this translates to Clan mechs not really being built with speed in mind, but with the ability to seriously damage or destroy anything it comes up against. As long as the mech has the speed to keep up with the rest of the Star, then it is considered all that is needed. Inner Sphere light mechs, by comparison, are designed with the idea that speed is a priority even at the expense of firepower.

Remember, the Clans designed their mechs for single combat warfare, so consider how well an Inner Sphere light mech would do in a restricted arena battlefield against a Clan light mech, with no other mechs to assist.

At the current time, this is simple choice by the pilot of what they want at any given time, picking the Inner Sphere light mechs when they want speed, and the Clan mechs when they want firepower. When/if Faction restrictions are put in with CW, then the Clans will simply have to accept the Clan way of warfare, and the Inner Sphere theirs, with all the advantages and disadvantages that come with their choice.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 26 June 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#209 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Ehhhh, no.

I'm not much of a light pilot, but for me, I've got a pretty high success rate in both the lights, especially the prime configs. I've used the Adder prime as more of a laser sniper, & this thing is having no problems getting kills with this thing. Actually winning a match with it, however, is a different story. Quite a few times, I wind up being the last alive after the rest of my team wound up being gang-banged by elite rapists, & thus the bulk of my deaths in that thing were suicides, namely for me melting down my core, because in my mind, suicide is like mercy, especially if you've got bloodthirsty rapists at your heels.

THe Kit Fox is the one I had the most fun piloting, as I could apply ECM to it, an ERPPC on that same arm, & for the prime config, strap on two ERMLs, & two MGs, combined with six JJs. It's got so much versatility: Jump-sniping, ECM support, close-in clean up, the whole nine yards. I've won a whole lot more matches in this one compared to the Adder, & I've only died once in it thus far.

With that said, if someone with little, if any, experience with lights can make them work, so can you. DOA, these two? Not in my eyes they aren't!

#210 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:03 AM

View PostJakob Knight, on 26 June 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

It's just a result of the design philosophy of the Clans as opposed to the Inner Sphere, and how each approaches warfare. The inner Sphere builds for flexibility and speed, and so if speed is your primary concern, then a mech from the Inner Sphere is what you will want to pilot. The Clans build for firepower first, last, and always, and if this is your concern, then you should pilot a Clan mech. In terms of survivability, they are about even, with the Clans having a one-tech XL engine that allows survival with penalties, while the Inner Sphere offers either survivability without penalties (standard engines) or complete vunerability to serious damage (XL engines).

In terms of light mechs, this translates to Clan mechs not really being built with speed in mind, but with the ability to seriously damage or destroy anything it comes up against. As long as the mech has the speed to keep up with the rest of the Star, then it is considered all that is needed. Inner Sphere light mechs, by comparison, are designed with the idea that speed is a priority even at the expense of firepower.

Remember, the Clans designed their mechs for single combat warfare, so consider how well an Inner Sphere light mech would do in a restricted arena battlefield against a Clan light mech, with no other mechs to assist.

At the current time, this is simple choice by the pilot of what they want at any given time, picking the Inner Sphere light mechs when they want speed, and the Clan mechs when they want firepower. When/if Faction restrictions are put in with CW, then the Clans will simply have to accept the Clan way of warfare, and the Inner Sphere theirs, with all the advantages and disadvantages that come with their choice.

Partially true...IS mechs in this timeline should be going 97-110 kph also, with stock engines. PGI has afforded the IS capability to customize beyond what was even available to them at the time...

#211 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

BUILD makes a tremendous difference as well...all I am going to say is, I went through about 5-6 Kitfox builds before I found one I liked...and it made a world of difference.

#212 Hood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

I just dont see a reason the drive the clan lights. they go the same speed as a med clan. other then the ecm the lights are worthless.

#213 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostHood, on 14 July 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

I just dont see a reason the drive the clan lights. they go the same speed as a med clan. other then the ecm the lights are worthless.

...because Clan lights are not Clan mediums in the 3/3/3/3 system? And Clan lights can carry firepower on par with an IS heavy mech? You can scoff, but an adder with two ERMLas and a pair of LRM20 is no joke.

#214 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

After playing and leveling the 2 Clan light mechs I just can say :

STILL NOT DOA .

#215 Hood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

I get they can carry more weapons,but there arms (which carries most of the weapons, Legs are not much better) cant take a hit and you dont have the speed to get out of a bad situation. Just a preference I guess. IMHO IS lights are far superior which I do not have a problem with to be honest. IMHO the Stormcrow is the most over powered mech in the game so offsetting it with the lights is good.

#216 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 14 July 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

...because Clan lights are not Clan mediums in the 3/3/3/3 system? And Clan lights can carry firepower on par with an IS heavy mech? You can scoff, but an adder with two ERMLas and a pair of LRM20 is no joke.

But 3/3/3/3 is not really all that reliable. I was just in a match with 4 lights (yes, I was one of them) on my team of all things, even though the light queue said 10%. I don't think you can really use that as a reason except in some instance where 3/3/3/3 is actually enforced. Is it for large groups? I don't know.

#217 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

It still matches your light to an enemy light. Even if it is not a pure 3/3/3/3, you still get paired apples to apples (IE: 2 for 2, 1 for 1, etc). LRM40, 2 ERMLas Adder or a Jenner? The comparison in the drop deck is not a given light vs a given medium or heavy. One forces the inclusion of its counterpart in the enemy team.

#218 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

I do agree it is much tougher now to pilot a light in either faction Clan or IS!..... but it should be tougher. I also disagree with some of the make it up as you go posters here who keep saying Clan slow mech heavy hitter made up Horsehunch!! The clans have plenty of mechs that go plenty fast the just are not in the game yet and even with the Clan can only stock engine no upgrade there are still several that can perform above 120KPH and higher w/o M.A.S.C.. Most carry less than 11 tons of pod space but most can or have a variant with Active probe or ECM. Enough with the make shart up as you post crappola just a pet peeve of mine!.

Edited by SaltBeef, 18 July 2014 - 05:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users