The Virtuous Mech

33 replies to this topic

#1 Miles Vitalis

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationDrifter

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

In MechWarrior Online, many pilots rely on cowardly tactics—hit-and-run maneuvers with a varied arsenal of hardpoints, quickly exploiting their foes' armor to neutralize them, or using despicable LRM to violate the sanctity of a battlefield. Some simply use sheer brute force to crush those foes who are less fortunate, or a favorable armor allocation and natural defensive prowess to outlast their foes. A Spider is a simpler kind of Mech. An honorable Mech. A Kuritain Mech. Enlisting an SDR pilot isn't just picking a team member—it's standing up for the restoration of samurai bushido to Mech warfare. The SDR isn't invulnerable. It doesn't have an LRM ensemble that leaves many pilots no choice but to flee. Nor does it wield those heavy weapons, or any other such absurdity. Oh, no... it runs fast, it jumps high; that's its glorious purpose. And of course it is humble, statistically. The SDR is a Mech which desires a team's victory; in any situation where its foes grant it the chance to prove its worth, it operates in the background and front lines ensuring mission success. Given that chance, it cannot be beat. I know because I'm an aspiring SDR pilot. Yes, that's right, it's my duty.

I am the one who scouts.

I am the one who assists.

I am the one who caps.

And I'm in need of a small, tightly woven, equally virtuous Unit to run with. Now you tell me... what is your Unit's name and why do I belong in your company?

#2 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Spider and "virtuous" (as you describe it) is an oxymoron.

#3 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 13 February 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

This.

You pretty much have to be a coward in picking your fights (striking from behind, running away, then doing it again, etc) to do well in a SDR.

Fun as hell though :)

#4 Sealawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationBuckminster City, Buckminster Prefecture

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

Every unit needs a good scout. Every unit needs team players. We want both, not one or the other. Feel free to stop by and visit us at http://BuckminsterGuards.org. TS3 is buckminsterguards.cwvoice.com

#5 Miles Vitalis

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationDrifter

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 13 February 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

Typical Marik! You've utterly failed to sense the mood.

And I'll swing by your TS when I can, Sealawyer!

#6 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostPoochieHead, on 13 February 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Typical Marik! You've utterly failed to sense the mood.

And I'll swing by your TS when I can, Sealawyer!

LOL, there are a few Mariks who pilot Spiders, I am not one of them.

#7 Shahadet

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 98 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Hi PoochieHead,

While there are many great players and units in the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery, such as:

- Jin Roh, the Wolf's Head (allied Merc unit)
- Ronin Legion
- 3rd Takata Lancers
- 9th Sword of the Dragon
- Night's Scorn
- 36th Dieron
- Buckminister Guards
- 1st Ghost

and many others, I would ask you, as a dedicated Light pilot, to give due consideration to the Arkab Legions.

You can read some of our lore on the MWO Wiki: mwo.gamepedia.com/Unit:Arkab_Legions

and our own webpage: www.arkablegions.com

But the best intro I could give would be to drop by our TeamSpeak server and play with some of our pilots:

ts3.arkablegions.com (no password needed).

Besides fielding light mechs in the traditional roles, the Arkab brigade fields an entire legion (the 6th Legion, "The Desert Nomads") as a dedicated light weight, high speed Stealth and Recon regiment.

Even if you choose to join another unit, any DCMS pilot is welcome to come and hang out on our server and group up with our pilots. So hope to see you around!

#8 Miles Vitalis

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationDrifter

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 13 February 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

LOL, there are a few Mariks who pilot Spiders, I am not one of them.

Your first post certainly indicated that. o:

EDIT:

Shahadet said:

Besides fielding light mechs in the traditional roles, the Arkab brigade fields an entire legion (the 6th Legion, "The Desert Nomads") as a dedicated light weight, high speed Stealth and Recon regiment.

A... w-whole dedicated light regiment? That's p-pretty cool...

Posted Image

Edited by PoochieHead, 13 February 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#9 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

You picked a good House to pilot Lights in. The DCMS has always relied on Light Mech such as the iconic Jenner or Panther. Many units have dedicated lances/companies of nasty Light pilots.

#10 Miles Vitalis

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationDrifter

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 13 February 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

You picked a good House to pilot Lights in. The DCMS has always relied on Light Mech such as the iconic Jenner or Panther. Many units have dedicated lances/companies of nasty Light pilots.

Thank goodness! Mainly my favorite feature of Light Mechs is the insane agility. Having tested every weight class, I don't intend on surpassing Medium. That's better left to other's playstyles.

#11 MayGay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 304 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Isn't capping dishonourable as it admitting that you cannot defeat your enemies yourself?
Doesn't spotting for your snipers/LRM boats imply that your allies require the assistance of another, and in doing so dishonour you both?
Isn't doing an insignificant amount of damage to all 12 enemy 'mechs just prove you are useless, unhelpful and only out for C-bills, and thus dishonourable?
Isn't running around taking cheap shots at distracted enemies dishonourable?

You are a ninja, and while ninja are useful, do not try to claim any honour, or pretend you are a samurai. You are not even ronin. You are ninja.

View PostLord Ikka, on 13 February 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

Yup the good old failed Horde tactic whose achillies heel is apparently the good ole stock blackjack BJ-1, also, sorry but the stock panther is kinda bad, it can be made good, but stock it is bad

The myth of the Blackjack's inferiority received a blow in 3022, however, when the infamous Kurita Captain Mercer Ravannion attempted to use his 'horde' tactics against an under-strength Davion garrison on the ice world of Xhosha VII. Ravannion theorized that 'Mech warfare could be carried out by swarms of ultra-light Stingers and Wasps to attack and overwhelm the heavier but numerically inferior defending 'Mechs. Ravannion's attempts to prove his theories were uniformly disastrous, but his confidence in them was unshakeable. The tiny garrison on Xhosha would suffer for his obsession. The Xhosha defense unit consisted of two companies of Draconis March Militia, equipped mostly with Locusts and Blackjacks. When hordes of Stingers and Wasps burst from DropShips in what Ravannion hoped was an irresistible wave, they caught the Militia by surprise. Freezing temperatures affected the performance of 'Mech equipment on both sides, particularly the defenders' Locusts. In the end, Cadet Captain Michael Ubodo's 'outmoded' and 'inferior' but heavier Blackjacks took the brunt of the Kurita attack on the icy Plain of Swords. The fighting was fierce. Driven by fanaticism, Ravannion threw his 'Mechs into battle without regard for men or material. Ubodo, a recent NAIS Training Cadre graduate breveted to command of the Xhosha garrison, was beset on all sides by the light, swift Kurita 'Mechs. Remaining calm, he utilized what little terrain existed on the windswept plain, and met each Kurita thrust with a counterthrust from his outnumbered Blackjacks, then personally led the counter-attack that broke the back of Ravannion's assault. Ravannion withdrew his forces in disorder, and returned home "to further refine" his theories. He was killed a year later in a fight with McKinnon's Raiders on Fallon II.

Edited by James Griffin, 13 February 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#12 Sealawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationBuckminster City, Buckminster Prefecture

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:13 AM

View PostJames Griffin, on 13 February 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

Isn't capping dishonourable as it admitting that you cannot defeat your enemies yourself?
Doesn't spotting for your snipers/LRM boats imply that your allies require the assistance of another, and in doing so dishonour you both?
Isn't doing an insignificant amount of damage to all 12 enemy 'mechs just prove you are useless, unhelpful and only out for C-bills, and thus dishonourable?

You are a ninja, and while ninja are useful, do not try to claim any honour, or pretend you are a samurai. You are not even ronin. You are ninja.

Leave it to a Fedrat to not understand the word teamwork. There is nothing dishonorable in playing for a team and using those strengths. The Archer has as much a purpose in battle as does the Naginata. From your statements, as one would expect of a Davie, you lack total understanding of how House Kurita fights. Everyone has a place and every place needs to be filled. Don't mistake our honor for your worthless hides.

Samurai Use of the Ninja:

The samurai lords could not always prevail in open warfare, but they were constrained by bushido. So, they often hired ninja to do their dirty work.

Secrets could be spied out, opponents assassinated, or misinformation planted... without sullying a samurai's honor.

One must adapt to the treacherous tactics of his enemy, and none has a longer track of treachery than the Fedrats. And I think you must have merged your replies, as your Blackjack rant has no bearing on the subject here.

Edited by Sealawyer, 14 February 2014 - 04:14 AM.

#13 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Although I have to add that I take offense at OP-san describing hit and run maneuvers as "cowardly".

The Jenner Type 7 was built specifically for this role, and the first poster would do well to remember that Light 'Mechs as a whole are not limited solely to scouting tasks. A frontal engagement, 'Mech dueling 'Mech, may be the pinnacle of honorable combat, but this should not diminish the skill and bravery it requires to take to the field in a machine that is frequently required to assault targets twice its own weight and armor plating, not to mention the weaponry.

I would request this fellow warrior to take back this insult, else I would feel compelled to challenge them either in their 'Mech on the training grounds, or to a single strike duel with the katana.

#14 ogy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 119 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

Don't believe the movie "bushido" nonsense ...
Small minded bullies with overinflated egos and a sense of their own importance derived from an isolationist policy ...
History tells a different story to the one "popular culture" would have you believe.

#15 Baddicus Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

I agree with Kyone, hit and run tactics are not cowardly in the least. Failure to understand a mechs strengths is failure.

View PostJames Griffin, on 13 February 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

Yet another warrior with no comprehension of honor.

Is the ancient archer who does not engage in melee with a samurai dishonorable? No, they are engaging on their own terms.

Is the cavalryman who flanks and overruns a group of archers dishonorable? No, he is using what he has to devastating effect.

Capping is not admitting defeat, you simply do not understand that there are multiple paths to victory. You cannot cause us to be blind to this simply by making a false appeal to our honor.

Spotting is not dishonorable for either warrior (unless a called duel is in progress), it is maximizing both units. Again, you make a false appeal to honor.

Doing damage to all mechs achieves nothing if those mechs do not die. So if this is what a pilot is aiming at, then they must be doing small amounts to critical areas which, in fact, does contribute to the team.

In war, there are no cheap shots, only shots. Either you take them or you go home. With your way of thinking, if you were in as assault behind an enemy engaged with your ally, you would not shoot them??? I call you a liar, sir.

And while the style of a light may be similar to a ninja, they are not. Every mechwarrior is a warrior. And as a warrior, they are committed to honing their personal style of combat to it's most lethal level. Do not think your failed attempts to sully our honor have achieved anything.

#16 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

An Interesting take on the spider.

I disagree with the other Davion pilot who posted here about the merits of such strategy. You are not a Ninja. You are a harrier/harasser.

On the flip side, to the OPs comment, most spiders rely on hit and run tactics. I've seen 5D spiders with ER PPCs and ECM snipe and hide plenty. (Been owned by em enough too :lol:)

Even those without ecm and long range are usually using hit and run manuevers, they are just generally doing it at closer ranges.

As to the SPIRIT of your intent however...

I completely understand. I dislike cheese builds and one trick alpha heavies that rely on FoTM approaches. I'm often willing to step forward in medium and low heavy mechs to take hits for my teammates, or make the sac play to stop a base cap. Solid team play mentality and versatile builds are more fun than AC-40 ez cheezy.

I also have piloted Spiders. In fact, they are my favorite light mech (so far) and have among my best K/DR of anything. Their job is a difficult one: with low firepower tie up as many enemy units as possible, while trying to outfight other scouts that outgun you, and not die in vain/quickly because you've succeeded at the first part.

Kudos to mixing it up, tying it up, and doing it without cheesing it up!

Edited by Eric Portenelli, 14 February 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#17 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostBaddicus Wolf, on 14 February 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

In war, there are no cheap shots, only shots.
This might be a dangerous sentiment. There is indeed a tradition amongst the Mechwarriors of the Draconis Combine that emphasizes the skill and role of the individual samurai above that of their unit. The deployment of our C3 tightbeam networking system, for example, is currently facing tremendous resistance, as many warriors feel that reliance upon battlefield information and targeting solutions supplied by others diminishes their own honor. This sentiment is understandable.

It should not be forgotten, however, that at the same time they owe absolute loyalty to their lord and, by extension, their unit, and for centuries the cooperation of warriors who are as disciplined as they are skilled has been a cornerstone of the Combine's military victories. This dedicated service must supersede any concerns a warrior may have regarding their own individuality. The sacrifice of personal honor to any degree required by his or her master is part of a samurai's duty to the Coordinator.

Weighing the honor or dishonor of one action against another is a challenge a warrior of the Draconis Combine must be prepared to encounter daily, just like the struggle between ninjo and giri - compassion and duty. This is part of why we keep the tradition of seppuku alive as a honorable alternative, a "way out" of such conflicts, if one's struggle is truly too great.

In other words: Some activities on the battlefield may feel offensive to the warrior, but must be carried out either way for their critical importance to the success of the realm. One's loyalty to the Dragon outweighs personal honor, and the sacrifice of the latter is in itself honorable.

(inb4 Kentares :lol: )

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 14 February 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#18 Miles Vitalis

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationDrifter

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 14 February 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Although I have to add that I take offense at OP-san describing hit and run maneuvers as cowardly

View PostBaddicus Wolf, on 14 February 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

I agree with Kyone, hit and run tactics are not cowardly in the least. Failure to understand a mechs strengths is failure.

Neither of you took the whole context of "hit-and-run maneuvers with a varied arsenal of hardpoints." The SDR, at least, does not have a notably varied arsenal with which to smite enemies. It is modest, and modesty is most honorable.

#19 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I fail to see what weapons variety has to do with modesty. By this logic, mounting four PPCs would be considered "modest".

Light 'Mechs - all Light 'Mechs - rely on speed and cunning to outmanoeuver their foe and strike where they are most vulnerable, whilst simultaneously dodging the enemy's own blows like a leaf in the wind. What weapons they employ in this dance is inconsequential (especially in the light of tonnage limitations not allowing for much choice), but "hit & run" is part of the role of skirmisher.

Posted Image

#20 Miles Vitalis

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationDrifter

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 14 February 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

I fail to see what weapons variety has to do with modesty. By this logic, mounting four PPCs would be considered modest."

View PostKyone Akashi, on 14 February 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

(especially in the light of tonnage limitations not allowing for much choice)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users