Battle Academy Online: The Ultimate Mech And Strategy Guide!

25 replies to this topic

#21 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Tactical Advice: Dual AC/20 Jagers

These are a hot topic of debate. As a pilot myself I will be the first to say these Mechs are really freaking powerful (see the pic below). But not all hope is lost! Jagerbombs are not as tough as you may think.

Example Jagerbomb JM6-DD

Pretty formidable build right? Well, besides using an AC/40 to fight an AC/40 there are other options. Let's analyze this build and find some flaws.

1) It has an XL engine but doesn't move faster than 90 KpH
This makes the Mech automatically easier to kill. The shoulders have less maximum armor than the center torso making the Mech vulnerable.

2) The shoulders have more armor on the front
This means direct attacks are harder. But hitting him in the back is a different story.

3) It has heat problems
This means that if you're smart you can trick him into overheating himself.

4) It only moves at 64.8 KpH
This makes it especially vulnerable to fast moving Mechs (86+ KpH)

5) It has a maximum range of 810m (270m x 3)
This may sound bad, but it actually cannot do major damage unless it is within 400m.

So there are five key flaws to exploit. Depending on the situation there could be vastly more. But you absolutely have to think when engaging these things. Otherwise you're as good as scrap metal.

Pics of my second best match ever (I think)
Spoiler

Wanna know how I got that much done (I hadn't gotten the armor upgrade I have yet)? These guys didn't know how to combat me (a poptart just letting me blaze away at him, some lights that didn't bother to keep moving, LRM boats trying to brawl, etc.)

Edited by DavidHurricane, 21 March 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#22 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

Solid advice above on how to deal with Jagerbombs, however, some have now put STD engines in the mech, therefore making them slower but far more durable, be careful and always try a shoulder before coring and killing them.

#23 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Short Sword JM6-DD
Haven't posted a build in a while. Twin AC/5s can blow off enemy armor while twin Machine Guns pelt in a relentless stream. Dual Large Pulse Lasers can vaporize enemy armor and components to finish the job.

Specs:
Spoiler

Tactics:
Spoiler

#24 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

Leo ON1-V
Ever need an all range build? This Mech is for you! Twin LRM 5s can be used for LRM support or for brawling (further than 179 meters from your target). An AMS with two tons of ammo can help with those pesky LRM boats and an LRM 10 can fire back. An AC/5 can snipe anywhere to 600 meters. Twin Medium Lasers and a Machine Gun can dance with your opponent at close ranges.

Specs:
Spoiler

Tactics:
Spoiler

Edited by DavidHurricane, 27 March 2014 - 04:59 AM.

#25 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

Tactical advice: Be a leader!

Ever want to take advantage of those ballistic/PPC weapons, but have too much trouble leading? Well, practice these simple steps and get a head start on those weapons!
  • Use stand-still targets in practice mode while you're moving
  • Assume where your enemy will be based on their current speed
  • Practice in the field on slow Mechs (Atlases, Highlanders, Jagermechs)
  • ALWAYS aim for the largest area (i.e the center torso), it is the easiest area to hit
  • Use arm lock on, so your arms aren't flailing around while you try to aim (hit and hold L-Shift to unlock them)
  • Practice with fast projectiles (Gauss, AC/2) first, then move to slower ones (PPC, AC/20)
  • Practice with SRMs as well, since their hit radius is rather large (i.e they spread out)

Edited by DavidHurricane, 17 April 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#26 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

Discussion: Quantity has a quality of its own?

This post doesn't contain any tactical advice, instead this post provides an opportunity to discuss varying opinions of a long held tactical debate.

Can quantity overpower quality? Debate it here!

Edited by DavidHurricane, 24 April 2014 - 06:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users