79 replies to this topic

#41 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 19 February 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

5 times? and yes its being built, we have no reason to believe otherwise

well there was the 90 days after open beta then summer of 2013, fall of 2013, some months after launch. there's been a lot of these due dates and delays, it was after the 90 after ope beta that UI.20 was first considered etc.

i'm just not sure in what form will CW will take, will everything just be stats gauges and leaderboards like doomsayers and no faith towards pgi ability haters have predicted

or

will there be a map with planets that units will need to co-ordinate via dropship to travel from planet to planet, garrison to garrison for all sorts of different battles. captureing and defending to determine the supply ammounts and economy of mechs and equipement for their faction as well as territory prestige like we were sold on?

after all the debacle of dx11, ui.2 HSR i'm not convinced that the latter is even remotely possible now. but that's what the founders heard from pgi and wanted to fund to play and that's why pgi post a 50% retention of those founders cause they left feeling they weren't going to get what they feel they funded. i'm sticking around to see if an engauging game will come, i'm burnt out on the current format and the new UI has killed my FPS count. so i wait and see.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 20 February 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#42 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

I get that people like to have their "uber" clan tech, but the worst possible thing they could do is make it 10v12.. that would mean every single time any player ends up 1v1, the claner would have the upper hand.

this is the stupidest thing they could do in an online MP game, especially one that is so dependent on team work as it is..

First you note that 1v1 the Clanner would have the upper hand...then you note the game's most powerful asset is teamwork.

That's the point. Yeah, little Timmy Timber Wolf has a more badass heavy than the IS guy in the Orion, in terms of firepower. However, the odds the Orion is alone are considerably smaller. Timmy runs into Mr. Orion and his buddy Mr. Wang, and ends up flanked, spanked, and smoked while he's mangling one of them, because although Timmy can dish it out, he still can't take it any better than everyone else- and he's got more guns pointed at him.

Let's repeat that critical note: Clanners die just as fast as everyone else. There is no magic armor in 3050 that lets them last longer, they have the same armor max and internal points by tonnage as IS 'Mechs do.

If Clan tech attracts prima-donna Rambo players, then boy is there gonna be a lot of kill markers to paint on the IS faction 'Mechbay walls. Because the lower amount of damage a Clan team can absorb means they're actually glass cannons. The Clanner deals more damage, but it takes less damage to remove X amount of firepower from the Clanner as well.

Say for simplicity, we have 12 identical IS 'Mechs and 10 Clan ones.

Each dead Clanner removes 10% of the unit's firepower. Each dead IS player, 8%. The Clan force degrades quicker, and what's worse is the Clanner lifespan decreases faster as the match progresses, because concentration of fire happens at a higher intensity on a smaller force. The odds of a 2v1/3v1 are higher even at the beginning of a match, and those odds increase even faster as Clan forces shrink. Two good gang-muggings by the IS and you've got a snowball rolling.

#43 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

You must have missed the memos. They've already announced that they are nerfing Clan technology. Weapons are going to have longer burn times and recharge times versus IS weapons. That way, while the weapons look like they do more damage in stats, the DPS will be the same as IS weapons. Also, several weapons are going to weigh more than they do in the books, breaking several Omnimech designs.

So they might as well keep the 12 vs 12, because you will just be piloting Omnimechs that are funnier looking and have longer firing weapons than Inner Sphere Mechs, but have exactly the same mechanics for game play.

They also announced we'd never have 3rd person views or coolant flushes, but look how that went.

Again, I'll say that if they DO nerf Clan 'Mechs into the ground, it's 1) obliterating the entire Clan concept and 2) A blatant cash grab.

#44 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

View Postwanderer, on 20 February 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

First you note that 1v1 the Clanner would have the upper hand...then you note the game's most powerful asset is teamwork.

That's the point. Yeah, little Timmy Timber Wolf has a more badass heavy than the IS guy in the Orion, in terms of firepower. However, the odds the Orion is alone are considerably smaller. Timmy runs into Mr. Orion and his buddy Mr. Wang, and ends up flanked, spanked, and smoked while he's mangling one of them, because although Timmy can dish it out, he still can't take it any better than everyone else- and he's got more guns pointed at him.

Let's repeat that critical note: Clanners die just as fast as everyone else. There is no magic armor in 3050 that lets them last longer, they have the same armor max and internal points by tonnage as IS 'Mechs do.

If Clan tech attracts prima-donna Rambo players, then boy is there gonna be a lot of kill markers to paint on the IS faction 'Mechbay walls. Because the lower amount of damage a Clan team can absorb means they're actually glass cannons. The Clanner deals more damage, but it takes less damage to remove X amount of firepower from the Clanner as well.

Say for simplicity, we have 12 identical IS 'Mechs and 10 Clan ones.

Each dead Clanner removes 10% of the unit's firepower. Each dead IS player, 8%. The Clan force degrades quicker, and what's worse is the Clanner lifespan decreases faster as the match progresses, because concentration of fire happens at a higher intensity on a smaller force. The odds of a 2v1/3v1 are higher even at the beginning of a match, and those odds increase even faster as Clan forces shrink. Two good gang-muggings by the IS and you've got a snowball rolling.

Well to split hairs, Clans mechs will have a little extra durability by vritue of XL engine crits and small size of weapons plus systems, oh and CASE.

But thats probably the difference between 1 / 2 seconds tops if you're at that stage?

In general terms yes they will have the same (well some posts indicate less but thats another thread) max armour and internals.

The trade off might be extended range of weapons though?

Clanners might be able to get that one or two salvo's off before the IS get close? If he's a good shot that might be enough to delay the snowball or even equalise it if its the right mechs?

I also kinda think that Clan tech sides might have a weight allowance.

Its all a bit subjective until we see the full detail but lets hope its not a white wash either way.

#45 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:09 AM

16 vs 10 (see my signature).

#46 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostOdanan, on 20 February 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

16 vs 10 (see my signature).

Why?

#47 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Arguably, the bigger the numerical difference, the more Clan-like the Clan 'Mech can actually be.

10v12 means a Clan 'Mech is modestly superior to be "even up" in a 10v12.

10v16 would mean a Clan 'Mech is worth roughly 1.6 (at least) 3050-era IS customs. I'm more towards the 1.2 of a 10v12 end of things, personally.

#48 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 20 February 2014 - 12:46 AM, said:

well there was the 90 days after open beta then summer of 2013, fall of 2013, some months after launch. there's been a lot of these due dates and delays, it was after the 90 after ope beta that UI.20 was first considered etc.

i'm just not sure in what form will CW will take, will everything just be stats gauges and leaderboards like doomsayers and no faith towards pgi ability haters have predicted

or

will there be a map with planets that units will need to co-ordinate via dropship to travel from planet to planet, garrison to garrison for all sorts of different battles. captureing and defending to determine the supply ammounts and economy of mechs and equipement for their faction as well as territory prestige like we were sold on?

after all the debacle of dx11, ui.2 HSR i'm not convinced that the latter is even remotely possible now. but that's what the founders heard from pgi and wanted to fund to play and that's why pgi post a 50% retention of those founders cause they left feeling they weren't going to get what they feel they funded. i'm sticking around to see if an engaging game will come, i'm burnt out on the current format and the new UI has killed my FPS count. so i wait and see.

i dont remember them making due dates and then missing them, besides the 90 days. Everything was more or less updates and Eta's. It would be different if they said what they said about CW and then after launch abandoned the game. They decided to stick with it for the long haul and that shows something. they may have slipped but as far as I'm concerned they are still working to make sure this game works and gives us what we want. players give them shit all the time, mainly the founders, but it really isn't just.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 20 February 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#49 TyGeR STD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 245 posts
  • LocationGa

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

I do not think 12v10 is a proper way to balance the difference in clan mechs or weapons. I honestly would be happy with using the weapons we have now for IS and Clan. Adding in the missing weapons like ER medium lasers and a few others. It seems that the construction rules will balance the difference in the XL engines and clan DHS taking less space. I think using one set of weapons would be the best all around solution for balance.

I would rather see only one set of weapons and have 12 v 12 games then have IS and Clan weapons an do 12v10

#50 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 20 February 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

Why?

I would be happy if the Clans were not nerfed at all. 16 vs. 10 would be a fair fight them.

View Postwanderer, on 20 February 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Arguably, the bigger the numerical difference, the more Clan-like the Clan 'Mech can actually be.

10v12 means a Clan 'Mech is modestly superior to be "even up" in a 10v12.

10v16 would mean a Clan 'Mech is worth roughly 1.6 (at least) 3050-era IS customs.

This.

#51 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostOdanan, on 20 February 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

I would be happy if the Clans were not nerfed at all. 16 vs. 10 would be a fair fight them.
[size=4]
This.

Why not 5 v 8 then?

#52 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostDevillin, on 19 February 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

Actually, you can enforce Zellbriggen, and it is actually very easy to do. You use the experience point system. Just like the IS gets -150 exp for killing a team mate, Clanners would get -150 exp for killing a mech that someone else has targeted and fired on. IS get 150 exp for a Savior Kill, Clanners get -150 exp for a Savior Kill. To balance out the penalties, Clanners would still get the 100 exp for each mech they kill, and they would actually get more exp for damage done, since ideally, they would be the only one doing damage to an individual mech. [The only thing that becomes wonky is that if an IS mech takes down a Clanner, and the Clanner's starmate takes out said IS mech, the first Clanner would only get damage exp, and the second Clanner would get the 100 exp (for the kill) + ?exp (for the damage) - 150 exp (for killing a mech fired on by someone else).]

This way you don't have to mess with the targeting system or any of the other fudges that are out there. You leave it to the individual Clan players to decide if they want to follow Zellbriggen and get the exp they need to level out an Omnimech, or break Zellbriggen and suffer penalties to their exp. I'd even be willing to allow someone who has a negative total exp from a match to have that carry over to their global exp outside the match. So if you have -300 exp at the end of the match, that gets taken from however much exp you have in that mech outside of the match.

No, actually you can't. Both C-bills and XP are incentives, not controls. They don't control behavior during a match, they just dangle rewards in front of players and hope you will take them. If you didn't get C-bills or XP after a match, players would still be playing, because we play this game to fight other mechs and blow them up.

What happens when the player uses MC to immediately master a mech and buys all the efficiencies? He can run his mech XP into the negatives all he wants, because that Mech's XP means nothing now. Now he can run around and focus fire and win more often. Who cares if he's losing mech XP, he's getting C-bills and having fun winning. Penalize C-bills? Well, if he's got his mech outfitted the way he wants, what does he care? Want to penalize both C-bills and XP? Well then if that player is having fun blasting IS mechs to scrap with his superior tech, what does he care if he can't buy more bits - he's already having fun, and now he doesn't want to bother digging himself out of the XP/C-bill hole, so he just keeps fighting like a dezgra - effectively. The thing about incentives is that one can easily ignore them.

Ghost heat is a control because it actually affects piloting and gunnery. De-syncing projectile speeds is a control to prevent pinpoint alphas. There's no control you can put in that will force a player to only fight one opponent short of completely taking control away from the player.

Lets add to that that the very system you're proposing needs added coding regardless - tagging mechs by first damaged, tagging players as Clan or IS, etc. Plus you can't put a system into the game that basically FORCES XP penalties on one team. Or how else do you propose that 10 men take out 12 without losing a single one of their number or focus firing once?

As I said in that post, You can't enforce Zellbrigen. You can only incentivize it at best.

View PostCraig Steele, on 19 February 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

(4) Zellebrigen was not a weakness, it was a strength. Any IS warrior accepting it generally got obliterated. And if IS didn't accepted it the Clans were very quick to focus fire in many cases so they were no worse off. Jade Falcon being probably the Clan that hung onto Zellbringen longest in combat situations where IS formations disregarded it but it certainly didn't slow them down much.

Still allowed IS forces to always get at least one good sucker punch in before the Clan forces discarded Zell for the fight, and how quickly you discarded it was down to what clan you were in, IIRC with strict/opportunistic/liberal interpretations.

View PostCraig Steele, on 19 February 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

(5) I agree with your sentiment, but that answer doesn't cause too much pause on TK's so I suspect it would have similar outcome for Zellebringen.

As noted, I think that's precisely how effective trying to incentivize Zellbrigen would be.

#53 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Doo Doo stomp for sure!

#54 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 20 February 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Why not 5 v 8 then?

Because 26 players (10 vs 16) is closer to 24 (12 vs. 12) we got now.

#55 Lianesch ZA

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 90 posts
  • LocationXylanthia, Sirius Star System

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Why not just make a poll? As fun as all this reading is, ask the community as a whole and get done with it. If PGI decides to use it? Who knows...

Me personally, since I paid for a clan pack and do care.

+1 for 12(IS) vs 12(IS), 10(CL) vs 12(IS), 10(CL) vs 10(CL), 16(IS) vs 10(CL) or what ever ...

-1 for CLAN NERF!

Edited by Lianesch, 20 February 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#56 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostLianesch, on 20 February 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

Why not just make a poll? As fun as all this reading is, ask the community as a whole and get done with it. If PGI decides to use it? Who knows...

Me personally, since I paid for a clan pack and do care.

+1 for 12(IS) vs 12(IS), 10(CL) vs 12(IS), 10(CL) vs 10(CL), 16(IS) vs 10(CL) or what ever ...

-1 for CLAN NERF!

To make 10C vs 12IS work, the Clans will need some nerfing. :)

#57 Lianesch ZA

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 90 posts
  • LocationXylanthia, Sirius Star System

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostNathan K, on 20 February 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

To make 10C vs 12IS work, the Clans will need some nerfing. :P

Hence the "16(IS) vs 10(CL) or what ever ..." bit I added. They will just have to find a way, without nerfing the **** out of clans ofcorz :)

And I know this is gonna be hard to level out the playing field without a nerf, but thats too bad. Don't take the "easiest route". Make this ***** work for everyone!

Edited by Lianesch, 20 February 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#58 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostOdanan, on 20 February 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

Because 26 players (10 vs 16) is closer to 24 (12 vs. 12) we got now.

I kinda think that if we want a Clan experieince less is better.

You put 10 Clanners in a team against 16 sure the tech is up there but you're still enabling / promoting a wider melee type of fight with fight. (ie, team tactics)

Less clanners (still balanced to tech at the ratio) to me feels more like the one on one in your face type of experience I imagine it would have been.

#59 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Tbqh implement an ongoing single player campaign that ALOT of players want, have it follow the so called "lore". as for MWO as it is now i doubt we will ever see any kind of "balance" between IS and Clan that isnt going to have one side or the other in a rage about omgwtfbbq overpowered blah blah. people rage daily about IS vs IS being way out of balance lol..... ill be happy when PGI decides to implement basic game functions such as being able to create your own unit instead of things like UI joke.fail that have made the mech lab for one utterly dreadful.

okthxbye

#60 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 20 February 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

Well to split hairs, Clans mechs will have a little extra durability by vritue of XL engine crits and small size of weapons plus systems, oh and CASE.

spliting hairs again CT front armour counts alot more than ST soaking abilities and if you're arguing ST soaking abilities are best with a clan xl you haven't seen the IS std engine which can carry on after losing both side torso's. clanners can only dream of that.

View PostCraig Steele, on 20 February 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

I kinda think that if we want a Clan experieince less is better.

You put 10 Clanners in a team against 16 sure the tech is up there but you're still enabling / promoting a wider melee type of fight with fight. (ie, team tactics)

Less clanners (still balanced to tech at the ratio) to me feels more like the one on one in your face type of experience I imagine it would have been.

well pgi have pushed for the team experience and made efforts to push 8v8 up to 12v12 so i doubt they'll make the general que go backwards in that regard. what they could do is set up lobbies with deployment drop numbers being a lockable choice. ie tonnage goes out the window bring anything to fill 5 clans vs 8 IS, players mechs are chosen at players discreation do not whine on our forums about the clans in these matchs always bringing 5 direwolfs etc tec disclaimer etc. :)

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 20 February 2014 - 11:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users